Sign in to follow this  
innerspace_cadet

Recommendations for central and obstructive sleep apnea

A couple of years ago, I was diagnosed with both central and obstructive sleep apnea. The CPAP breathing machine did not agree with me, and the mouthpiece I bought from the dentist is too uncomfortable to sleep with.

Does anyone have recommendations for diet, exercises or practices that would alleviate my condition? Would qigong possibly help?

A couple of years ago, I was diagnosed with both central and obstructive sleep apnea. The CPAP breathing machine did not agree with me, and the mouthpiece I bought from the dentist is too uncomfortable to sleep with.

Does anyone have recommendations for diet, exercises or practices that would alleviate my condition? Would qigong possibly help?

I spent a number of years as a sleep consultant. Talking with people who suffered with sleep apnea was a regular occurrence.

There is an alarming amount of people who can't handle the machines or the mouthgaurds. My focus was to get them looking very closely at their sleeping posture by examining the orthopedic quality of their mattress and pillows. If the spine and neck are not in alignment properly then the airways are restricted.

Recommendation: Get a friend to check out your spine and neck alignment in your favorite sleeping positions. You may start to get some relief this way.

Also...

Please excuse me if this is being insensitive, but are you carrying too much weight? Overweight people are prime candidates for sleep apnea because the extra flesh around the throat constricts the airways.

Also...

Is your sleep environment free of dust mites? Dust mite feces is highly toxic and allergenic, I have met a few people who, when sleeping, would have their nasal and throat passages inflame and swell up causing snoring and sleep apnea. One chap in particular stopped snoring over night by sleeping in a dust mite free environment.

Also...

Learn to play the didgeridoo ;) In a Swiss study published in the British Medical Journal, it was found that didgeridoo playing is an effective alternative treatment for moderate obstructive sleep apnea. It was hypothesized that the circular breathing technique may improve muscular tone of the upper airway and reduce the collapsibility that is common in sleep apnea.

I spent a number of years as a sleep consultant. Talking with people who suffered with sleep apnea was a regular occurrence.

There is an alarming amount of people who can't handle the machines or the mouthgaurds. My focus was to get them looking very closely at their sleeping posture by examining the orthopedic quality of their mattress and pillows. If the spine and neck are not in alignment properly then the airways are restricted.

Recommendation: Get a friend to check out your spine and neck alignment in your favorite sleeping positions. You may start to get some relief this way.

Also...

Please excuse me if this is being insensitive, but are you carrying too much weight? Overweight people are prime candidates for sleep apnea because the extra flesh around the throat constricts the airways.

Also...

Is your sleep environment free of dust mites? Dust mite feces is highly toxic and allergenic, I have met a few people who, when sleeping, would have their nasal and throat passages inflame and swell up causing snoring and sleep apnea. One chap in particular stopped snoring over night by sleeping in a dust mite free environment.

Also...

Learn to play the didgeridoo ;) In a Swiss study published in the British Medical Journal, it was found that didgeridoo playing is an effective alternative treatment for moderate obstructive sleep apnea. It was hypothesized that the circular breathing technique may improve muscular tone of the upper airway and reduce the collapsibility that is common in sleep apnea.

Also...

Also...

Also...

Consider getting a Frolov device. You can Google it. It cost about $100. And has done great things for me. It creates a breathing pattern similar to playing a didgeridoo but quieter

I used to have sleep apnea too. Was on CPAP for about a year. I lost weight and that fixed it. Also consider the CPAP machine forces the body to learn how to belly breath which is more efficient and relaxing. That may be what the instrument forces you to do.

Upper chest breathing is what most civilized people do and it increases the thoracic pressure inside the chest which keeps the sympathetic nervous system activated. (flight or fright). Watch how a little baby breathes and learn to breath like that. That's how the animals breathe too.

Good luck.

s

Also...

Also...

Also...

Thanks for the recommendations. Funny that you mention it, I do have a didgeridoo; I just need to play it more. Yes, I do have a few extra pounds I could stand to lose.

Sign in to follow this