ralis

Tai Chi Ruler

On 6/25/2011 at 10:08 AM, cheya said:

Questions: Has anybody tried the tai chi ruler with embedded magnets (12500 gauss, Dainin posted link to Carl Totten above)? Interesting, but pricey.

Yes, I have purchased his ruler magnets and also his taichi ruler as well. You can feel the blood moving as your practice taichi ruler routines but didn;t feel any benefits. I've done  Taichi ruler from Terry Dunn & some white on Taichi ruler on amazon. I also did  special taoist taiji and ruler qigong by by Wang Zhiqiang, Feng; Fengming. 

They're all the same to me but what makes the different is sink chi/qi to dantian and song. That's where you really get your Gains of chi/qi. 

• Like 1

On 24/06/2012 at 5:19 PM, cheya said:

Hi again Dainin,

I know I answered this, but I'm chiming back in to say I didn't read Cohen's article carefully enough. He does delineate 3 lineages, two coming down to Zhao Zhongdao and a third down to Feng Zhiqiang. What I missed is that he then briefly describes both the Zhao and Feng lineages and gives a few ruler exercises from each of them. The front-to-back rocking comes from Zhao Zhongdao, so the Masterworks International method is coming from Zhao. The book "Special Taoist Taiji Stick & Ruler Qigong" is from Feng Zhiqiang, and those methods do not seem to have much rocking. Cohen points to Feng Zhiqiang as his teacher, the "taoist branch", but obviously knows both lineages.

Cohen writes "Feng Zhiqiang's martial arts and qigong place a strong emphasis on dantian awareness and 'dantian rotation'. The ruler exercises create a palpable sphere of energy in the abdomen that slowly turns and moves in harmony with one's actions. Sometimes the sphere rotates on an axis; sometimes the entire sphere orbits around the abdominal cavity, as though circling a central point between the navel and the 'gate of life' acupuncture point (ming men)." I'm actually starting to feel some of this!

I have Feng Zhiqiang's method on DVD from Fengming Wang, and there are some powerful exercises on that DVD, but I stick with the rocking methods, as the rocking seems to act as an energy pump that helps move the chi, giving more sensation of chi movement. I do a little of Fengming's tai chi bang (or stick), especially the exercise called "shaking heavenly pillar." It reminds me of a witch stirring a cauldron!

I'm still doing the Masterworks International TCR version every day, and continue to see benefits. I went back to Franztis' cloud hands exercise, which I was doing a few years ago, and my experience now is very different, as I can usually contact the chi immediately. I can feel how "the descending hand causes the ascending hand to rise" which I never could before. I credit tai chi ruler for the increased chi sensitivity. Good stuff!

Hi. I would like to know the homepage that you find the Feng ziqiang DVD/Vídeo? I am not finding this material. Thanks.

12 hours ago, moreira Filho said:

Hi. I would like to know the homepage that you find the Feng ziqiang DVD/Vídeo? I am not finding this material. Thanks.

Hi moreira, I think Cheya is taking some time off from the Dao Bums, so I'll try to answer this. The DVD is by Fengming Wang, a student of Feng Zhiqiang, not Feng himself. You can find it on this web page: https://www.worldtaiji.com/index.php/taiji-store  Note that he doesn't offer e-commerce, so you have to email him to discuss how to make payment. There is a book too, but the translation isn't very clear.

Another student of the Feng Zhiqiang method that has streaming video material on the tai chi ruler is Dr. Yaron Seidman. He offers a one hour intro and a full 12 hour course. You can find these here:

https://hunyuan.life/sub-category/tai-chi-1610885619922x645456003119185900

There is also some Youtube content of Master Feng demonstrating the stick and ruler (with no verbal instruction):

https://youtu.be/AtbuKO4PltQ

https://youtu.be/QyfBfYsmTO8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1