ralis

Tai Chi Ruler

Hi Cheya,

Are the exercises on the Masterworks DVD similar to the ones discussed in Ken Cohen's article? Thanks in advance...

Hi again Dainin,

I know I answered this, but I'm chiming back in to say I didn't read Cohen's article carefully enough. He does delineate 3 lineages, two coming down to Zhao Zhongdao and a third down to Feng Zhiqiang. What I missed is that he then briefly describes both the Zhao and Feng lineages and gives a few ruler exercises from each of them. The front-to-back rocking comes from Zhao Zhongdao, so the Masterworks International method is coming from Zhao. The book "Special Taoist Taiji Stick & Ruler Qigong" is from Feng Zhiqiang, and those methods do not seem to have much rocking. Cohen points to Feng Zhiqiang as his teacher, the "taoist branch", but obviously knows both lineages.

Cohen writes "Feng Zhiqiang's martial arts and qigong place a strong emphasis on dantian awareness and 'dantian rotation'. The ruler exercises create a palpable sphere of energy in the abdomen that slowly turns and moves in harmony with one's actions. Sometimes the sphere rotates on an axis; sometimes the entire sphere orbits around the abdominal cavity, as though circling a central point between the navel and the 'gate of life' acupuncture point (ming men)." I'm actually starting to feel some of this!

I have Feng Zhiqiang's method on DVD from Fengming Wang, and there are some powerful exercises on that DVD, but I stick with the rocking methods, as the rocking seems to act as an energy pump that helps move the chi, giving more sensation of chi movement. I do a little of Fengming's tai chi bang (or stick), especially the exercise called "shaking heavenly pillar." It reminds me of a witch stirring a cauldron!

I'm still doing the Masterworks International TCR version every day, and continue to see benefits. I went back to Franztis' cloud hands exercise, which I was doing a few years ago, and my experience now is very different, as I can usually contact the chi immediately. I can feel how "the descending hand causes the ascending hand to rise" which I never could before. I credit tai chi ruler for the increased chi sensitivity. Good stuff!

• Like 3

Yau Kung Mun System uses the ball for a complete body workout as well understanding Ging!

Great moves! And great music!

That video is too short!

Got any longer Lion ball footage?

Thanks for the link to the Cohen article :D

"Grandmaster Feng Zhi Qiang (1928- ), had the unique opportunity to learn from two well known and respected teachers of their time. One was Chen Fa Ke (1887-1957), 17th generation of Chen Style, who excelled in silk reeling chan si gong power. Chen passed on to Grandmaster Feng his vast knowledge of the Chen Style Tai Chi, Push Hands, weapons and the Tai Chi Bang(Stick). The other teacher was Hu Yao Zhen (1879-1973) who mastered the three unique Taoist skills: martial arts, medicine and qigong (energy cultivation). Hu, a famous Chinese medical practitioner, became known as the father of modern qigong in China. From Hu, Grandmaster Feng learnt Xin Yi Quan (Heart Mind Boxing), qigong and the Tai Chi Ruler skills. Grandmaster Feng is a world famous Tai Chi master. His martial skills have been tested many times. The practice of his art has not only given him good health and great power, it has also moulded his character and enabled him to follow the Tao or the Natural Way."

Master Feng's taiji ruler. The motions here are done quite large.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_89rO_F4Zw

Info on Master Feng's ruler and stick gong. With details on some of the stick exercises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We3nu1dSfE4&feature=relmfu

This one explains some of the 'inner' aspects of the Master Feng's ruler exercises.

Bruce Frantzis teaches 'circling hands' qigong, which is very similar to taiji ruler

This is taught as a side practice when learning Bruce's Marriage of Heaven & Earth. It is seen as a simpler 'form' to get the neigong working, you are mainly working on lengthening the tissues and opening and closing. The practice eventually involves three circles and shifting weight etc. Given Bruce's studies with the late Master Feng, while I do not know the origin of this set, there appears to be clear influence.

I like the circling hands practice a lot.

Best,

P.S. I am not saying any of the above videos are fantastic representations of the respective practices.

Edited by snowmonki

Terry Dunn has a book on it and mentions it shortly in the Flying Phoenix thread.

I'm not much informed either but I believe there is Tai Chi Ruler practice that's qigong, then there is one that's more martial arts like (part of Taichi system).

The Tai Chi Ruler system that I learned from Master Share K. Lew--first through his senior students John Davidson, Bill Helm, Carl Totton, and Bruce Eichelberger in the 1970's--and then directly from Master Lew--is a stand-alone Qigong system consisting of eight exercises. It cultivates an internal energy that can empower any Chinese martial art-- Tai Chi Chuan or Kung Fu art. GM Share K. Lew taught the Tai Chi Ruler as an adjunct to his Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method) Kung Fu system.

'Hope this clarifies.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 1

Hi Cheya:

I am not practicing TCR so I can't really recommend a version more than another.

GM S.K.Lew's version and GM Feng Zhiqiang's version are two I am aware of (except the one you are currently practicing which origin is not clear to you, right?).

I also know that M. Rinaldini (My link) teaches some TCR exercices in his curriculum but I don't know who passed them down to him (may be K.Cohen?).

Sorry, I can't be of any help here :(

If the version you are practicing feels good then it's the real deal, right?! :lol:

neiye

edit for spelling

Hello Cheya and Neiye,

The second section of my Tai Chi Ruler book details Master Share K. Lew's final corrections of the 8 Tai Chi Ruler exercises that he taught. Many details such as the position of the thumb and index finger and the relative position/angle of the feet in all eight of the exercises are given, which are not on my DVD, which was produced in 1985, btw(!). Taken together, the DVD and the TC Ruler book accurately document how Master Share K. Lew taught the Tai Chi Ruler from 1977 to 1991 to his students in southern California. The second section's instructions of the Tai Chi Ruler constitutes a complete tradition.

Information can be found here:

http://taichimania.com/other_videos.html

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 1

Hey snowmonki
Thank you for all this input!
I haven't been able to watch the video links yet, as my web link doesn't handle video, but I can hardly wait to get to town to see what you've posted!

cheya

Thanks for the link to the Cohen article biggrin.gif

"Grandmaster Feng Zhi Qiang (1928- ), had the unique opportunity to learn from two well known and respected teachers of their time. One was Chen Fa Ke (1887-1957), 17th generation of Chen Style, who excelled in silk reeling chan si gong power. Chen passed on to Grandmaster Feng his vast knowledge of the Chen Style Tai Chi, Push Hands, weapons and the Tai Chi Bang(Stick). The other teacher was Hu Yao Zhen (1879-1973) who mastered the three unique Taoist skills: martial arts, medicine and qigong (energy cultivation). Hu, a famous Chinese medical practitioner, became known as the father of modern qigong in China. From Hu, Grandmaster Feng learnt Xin Yi Quan (Heart Mind Boxing), qigong and the Tai Chi Ruler skills. Grandmaster Feng is a world famous Tai Chi master. His martial skills have been tested many times. The practice of his art has not only given him good health and great power, it has also moulded his character and enabled him to follow the Tao or the Natural Way."

Master Feng's taiji ruler. The motions here are done quite large.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_89rO_F4Zw

Info on Master Feng's ruler and stick gong. With details on some of the stick exercises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We3nu1dSfE4&feature=relmfu

This one explains some of the 'inner' aspects of the Master Feng's ruler exercises.

Bruce Frantzis teaches 'circling hands' qigong, which is very similar to taiji ruler

This is taught as a side practice when learning Bruce's Marriage of Heaven & Earth. It is seen as a simpler 'form' to get the neigong working, you are mainly working on lengthening the tissues and opening and closing. The practice eventually involves three circles and shifting weight etc. Given Bruce's studies with the late Master Feng, while I do not know the origin of this set, there appears to be clear influence.

I like the circling hands practice a lot.

It should be noted that it has been told to me that at one time SKL purposely taught the TC Ruler incorrectly for his own reasons. It has also been confirmed to me that the version written in Carl's book which I bought at around 2001 outlines the incorrect version. I would suggest that anyone interested in TC Ruler contact Carl to make sure he's obtained and is publishing the correct version.

FYI.....

My father (Share K. Lew) never taught the Tai Chi Ruler incorrectly, he wouldn't do that for any reason. Also my father never approved of learning from dvds that is why he never made any. I suggest you get your facts straight before making comments.

• Like 3

My father (Share K. Lew) never taught the Tai Chi Ruler incorrectly, he wouldn't do that for any reason. Also my father never approved of learning from dvds that is why he never made any. I suggest you get your facts straight before making comments.

Thank you for that correction. Condolences to you on your father's passing.

Best regards,

Found a long detailed article by Bob Flaws on Tai Chi Ruler in the September 1980 issue of Yoga Journal (it starts on page 14):

Tai Chi Ruler

Since the entire backfiles of this magazine all seem to be available in Google Books, I'm assuming that it is okay copyright-wise.

• Like 3

Cheya, thanks for the information about the DVD from MWI. I have checked their website and got this DVD. The forms and movement look very simple and I enjoyed it already just only watching it.

Funny enough Phil Young (the man on DVD) runs TCR classes right in my city.

Are you doing all forms in one go or you do only few of them? I think to do it for some 90 minutes a day plus to my another qigong every day. TCR seems to be complete system. I like it simplicity.

• Like 1

Hi Eugene,

Glad you like the TCR practice!

I do all six forms every night. I used to do most of the variations too, but I've pared it down a bit as I've added some other practices (some Feng's tai chi bang, for one), putting the chi flow through its paces. Ninety minutes! Whew! I do about 45 minutes, but not all of that is TCR.

Please convey my regards to Phil if you see him. In addition to providing me with a great practice, he's been very generous in answering questions.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if there is any material out that teaches the exact master feng form ?

is the one of his daughter performing it the correct practice ?

many thanks

Feng Zhiqiang's method on DVD from Fengming Wang (his son in law) might be what you are looking for.

The Australian's claim their method is a direct transmission from Master Feng. Did you read this whole thread?

On 21/01/2020 at 4:30 PM, Dainin said:

"The Illustrations of Tai Chi Ruler Drillings: Inborn Physical Endowment of Chi Kung" by T.T. Ching (1971) (Full text in English!):

https://zhongdingtaichi.com/inborn-physical-endowment-of-chi-kung-tai-chi-ruler/

Hello,

Start practicing recently the 1st exercise from the link above.

Immediately felt a strong sensation in my belly, that I can describe the best as the muscles were strongly contracting deep inside, although I was very relaxed.

Just ordered the DVD from Masterworks International.

Looking forward for a more comprehensive practice

• Like 2

On 20/08/2020 at 5:28 PM, Antonio108 said:

Watch from 56:00. Some new exercises:

https://youtu.be/y5IMOID_ZaI

Good vid. Having practiced both sun taiji long form and the ruler exercises on the masterworks international dvd, definitely see a lot of similarities - specifically in the rocking movement.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2020 at 6:46 PM, Vajra Fist said:

Good vid. Having practiced both sun taiji long form and the ruler exercises on the masterworks international dvd, definitely see a lot of similarities - specifically in the rocking movement.

Hello. At some point he does some shaking movements with the ruler. Can you tell me something about it? Thanks

1 hour ago, Antonio108 said:

Hello. At some point he does some shaking movements with the ruler. Can you tell me something about it? Thanks

Sorry I never practiced the ruler as part of sun taiji. I imagine though from the similarity of the movements it was once an integral part of training which has become left out in modern times.

• Like 1