ralis

Tai Chi Ruler

So far I have found very little info. as to what the benefits of this practice are. Anyone here have any experience with it?

i dont practice it , but i have looked into it b4. maybe check plumpub.

it is supposed to catalyze the qi.

to me it looked more like a qigong than a taiji form.

i subscribe to a guy on you tube zoce has a short clip or 2 about it.

also jesse tsao

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

So far I have found very little info. as to what the benefits of this practice are. Anyone here have any experience with it?

Terry Dunn has a book on it and mentions it shortly in the Flying Phoenix thread.

I'm not much informed either but I believe there is Tai Chi Ruler practice that's qigong, then there is one that's more martial arts like (part of Taichi system).

• Like 2

Here's a video about equipment training, although it is in chinese. It shows how Tai Chi ruler(Tai Chi Bang) movements are applied on an opponent. Ruler training starts at the 20:00 minute mark-

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjE3NDIyNjQ=.html

Here is a video which shows the Tai chi Bang, as well as Chi Kung Ruler, so there won't be confusion between the 2-

Edited by Immortal4life

I am Interested in this too.

I heard recently that one of G.M. Huang's [i think it was him...] secret training methods, was instead of using the ruler, used a large heavy wooden ball. so all the bending and stretching and twisting of the waist, made his core muscles ridiculously strong.

I am getting a medicine ball to start with, but does anyone have Info on Tai Chi ruler being used like this as well?

I have come across many taiji practitioners who have learned to do the form quite elegantly. Yet if you start testing their form you will realize that many forget the full required "relaxed tension" in their upper limb movements - in other words, the tension of the upper limbs and supporting structures are only strong enough to exactly carry out the form while making up for gravity. Adding the stick helps remind the practitioner of the constant additional tension that must also be included. As such, the stick helps force the practitioner to what would otherwise be a solely imagery-based exercise of carrying out the form as if moving through water, honey or mud. A stick or a ball helps make it more tangible and as such can be considered a supplement to training.

• Like 1

I am Interested in this too.

I heard recently that one of G.M. Huang's [i think it was him...] secret training methods, was instead of using the ruler, used a large heavy wooden ball. so all the bending and stretching and twisting of the waist, made his core muscles ridiculously strong.

I am getting a medicine ball to start with, but does anyone have Info on Tai Chi ruler being used like this as well?

http://ymaa.com/publishing/tai_chi_DVD/internal/taiji_ball_qigong_DVD

For those new to it, Taiji Ruler is a Qigong set done using a Taiji Ruler. Here is a nice resource for a ruler though they can be found on Ebay a little cheaper. It involves several body movements done holding the ruler between the two palms and moving it in different patterns mostly while gently rocking back and forth between the ball and heel of the feet with one foot slightly in front of the other.

When I learned Taiji Ruler Qigong several years ago, I was instructed to practice it daily for 100 days to experience the full benefits.

I never made it beyond ~ 6 weeks due to other practices taking priority.

I did feel that it helped with grounding and I felt like it improved my capacity in the middle and lower dan tian.

That's about it.

I was also actively practicing other things at the time (microcosmic orbit, Taijiquan, and Xingyi 5 elements) so it's a bit tough to really know what was related to the Taiji Ruler vs other practices.

I never really was that impressed with the set and abandoned it in favor of my established practice of Shiba Luohan Gong and 8 Brocades.

Just got back from tai chi class where we were learning xingi and the teacher took his thermos

and holding it did some stepping and arm movements.

I asked if he had learned tai chi ruler and he said he learned it in xingi.

Hi Ralis,

I'm another person who finds this set interesting. Ken Cohen has a good historical section on tai chi ruler in his book. He also shows a few basic moves. The form was said to be developed by a Daoist recluse named Chen Xi Yi, and was practiced exclusively by the imperial family until revealed to the public by Zhao Zhongdao in Beijing in 1954. Both he and his mother (who transmitted it to him) were said to have lived to very old ages (over 100).

Based on my research, it seems like there are two main lines in North America teaching this today. One is through Master Feng Zhi Qiang, who teaches the Hunyuan branch of Chen Tai Chi, and the other is through Taoist Master Share K. Lew. I haven't seen enough of the materials to see how different these branches are (if at all).

Besides Sifu Dunn's book and video, here are some other people that have materials available on this set:

Brett Wagland and Fontaine Ip (Australia)

Yaron Seidman (USA)

Carl Totton (USA)

Bill Helm (USA)

Ken Cohen is having a weekend workshop on it on June 3-5 in Massachusetts. I'm thinking about going if I can...

PS: Wing Lam Enterprises sells the rulers for like $15.00

Edited by Dainin
  • Like 1

Hi All

The ruler exersise works on the K1 points of the feet with a rocking motion and starts the drawing in of chi. The ruller is made of willow and acts like a battery (chi battery) so when you do the exercise consistently and hold the ruler it charges your systme and the ruler itself with chi. The ruller is kind of like the core of a ball. It is round on the ends and sits in the center of your palm and makes a closed circuit (acupuncture circuit). I made mine from a branch of an old willow near my house years ago. The tree is now gone due to development but maybe its spirit still gets some chi from the ruler : )

Edited by au2o3

I've been doing Tai Chi Ruler for a month or so now, using the Eight Extraordinary version on the DVD Tai Chi Ruler by Masterworks International. The increase in chi sensation is more than any other practice I've done. I can now clearly feel the alternation of the currents in my legs as I rock back and forth in coordination with the breathing. And my feet are getting hot! I've had some kind of daily chi practice for years, and even though I have come to feel a lot of chi movement in my legs, my feet have never gotten hot before. The practice is almost ridiculously simple, but extremely effective, and best of all it makes me feel really happy after doing it.

Questions: Has anybody tried the tai chi ruler with embedded magnets (12500 gauss, Dainin posted link to Carl Totten above)? Interesting, but pricey.

I've been playing with another interesting modification for a few days. Doing the set on an earthing mat (see earthing.com), that has you grounded into the earth with wires. Doing that somehow amplifies the chi sensation even more, to the point I have to limit how long I practice on the mat! Anybody else tried it that way?

It should be noted that it has been told to me that at one time SKL purposely taught the TC Ruler incorrectly for his own reasons. It has also been confirmed to me that the version written in Carl's book which I bought at around 2001 outlines the incorrect version. I would suggest that anyone interested in TC Ruler contact Carl to make sure he's obtained and is publishing the correct version.

FYI.....

Taiji Ruler: Legacy of the Sleeping Immortal, by Ken Cohen, is available by download for just $3 from the Journal of Asian Martial Arts, where it was originally published. It's about 20 pages, and I found it very interesting. Cohen discusses the history, the origin of the two major lineages, and describes some of the practices in detail in the section "Zhao Family Moving Taiji Ruler," including a number of details I have not found elsewhere. Here's a link.

http://www.journalofasianmartialarts.com/Asia/Taiji-Ruler-Legacy-of-the-Sleeping-Immortal/flypage.tpl.html

You do have to register at the site to order, but that was easy.

Also, Baguakid: who's Carl?

Do you mean Terry Dunn?

Edited by cheya
  • Like 1

Hi Cheya

I am not Baguakid, but he may refer to Carl Totton:

My link

He sells a DVD on a tai chi ruler version Master S.K.Lew taught (the same GM that taught the system to Terry Dunn).

Be well,

neiye

who's Carl?

Do you mean Terry Dunn?

Edited by neiye

I am not Baguakid, but he may refer to Carl Totton...

He sells a DVD on a tai chi ruler version Master S.K.Lew taught (the same GM that taught the system to Terry Dunn).

Thanks, Neiye. That explains it. And also saves me from ending up with yet another version of SKL's taichi ruler!

Any teachers/DVD versions you recommend?

Hi Cheya,

Are the exercises on the Masterworks DVD similar to the ones discussed in Ken Cohen's article? Thanks in advance...

Hi Cheya,

Are the exercises on the Masterworks DVD similar to the ones discussed in Ken Cohen's article? Thanks in advance...

They're not the same, but they seem much more related to each other than, say, Terry Dunn's version. Ken's article is an overview narrowed down by steps to some specific exercises. His stance is similar to the MWI DVD, and they both call for the lifting the front toe and then the rear heel as you rock back and forth, but Cohen's posture description is much more specific. You can see from the pictures that the exercises are similar, but Cohen's details on all but the first exercise are vague. The details and context he does offer, however, are very compatible with the specific moves presented on the MWI DVD. Cohen also mentions MCO and belt and leg channels, without actually going into the Eight Extraordinary Channel aspects. Cohen is more context. MWI is more doing. They are both in the same ballpark.

Hope addresses what you want to know...

Edited by cheya
  • Like 1

Any teachers/DVD versions you recommend?

Hi Cheya:

I am not practicing TCR so I can't really recommend a version more than another.

GM S.K.Lew's version and GM Feng Zhiqiang's version are two I am aware of (except the one you are currently practicing which origin is not clear to you, right?).

I also know that M. Rinaldini (My link) teaches some TCR exercices in his curriculum but I don't know who passed them down to him (may be K.Cohen?).

Sorry, I can't be of any help here :(

If the version you are practicing feels good then it's the real deal, right?! :lol:

neiye

edit for spelling

Edited by neiye

GM S.K.Lew's version and GM Feng Zhiqiang's version are two I am aware of (except the one you are currently practicing which origin is not clear to you, right?).

edit for spelling

Thank you Neiye,

The teacher from MWI said he learned Tai Chi Ruler back in the 1980's from two different sources, one being Sifu B.P.Chan who taught in NY with William C.C. Chen, and the other, tai chi master Fong Ha in San Francisco.

Ken Cohen lists 3 lineages, all coming down from Chen Xiyi. According to Cohen, two of those lineages came down to Zhao Zhongdao, and the third to Feng Zhiqiang, which Cohen says is a lesser known Daoist lineage. I don't know if Phil Young traces his TCR training back to one of those lineages, but I'd guess it's similar to Cohen's, who learned primarily from Feng Zhiqiang and Madame Gao Fu.

And yes, MWI's Tai Chi Ruler sequence is working very well for me. Cohen says Feng listed 3 goals of the ruler practice, goals beyond the "side effect" of developing qi!

"The third of those goals," Cohen writes, "is The Dao. Ultimately, the Taiji Ruler student becomes one with the Dao, also called the Primordial Qi of Heaven and Earth (tian di hunyuan qi). The practitioner learns to blend the qi of the body with the qi of the universe.

In the Dao De Jing Lao Zi says, 'The One gives birth to the two.' Here duality returns to oneness."

• Like 1

Here's a video about equipment training, although it is in chinese. It shows how Tai Chi ruler(Tai Chi Bang) movements are applied on an opponent. Ruler training starts at the 20:00 minute mark-

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjE3NDIyNjQ=.html

Here is a video which shows the Tai chi Bang, as well as Chi Kung Ruler, so there won't be confusion between the 2-

Thanks for posting this. Master Chen's Tai Chi Bang is fascinating as well as superbly done. And his one Tai Chi ruler exercise demonstrated is definitely a northern version (as opposed to the southern version taught by Master Share K. Lew).

Terry Dunn

• Like 2