Ulises

Loving the Snake...

SNAKE

Snake says to me, "You only have me as a reference point and I am your own energy!"

I suddenly see that as I was growing up I was taught to take everything else as a reference point but never my own energy! Everything else had some value but never me! (...)

Snake says "All the reference points you have learned in your life have now disappeared! Feel my energy as a part of the Universe. This part is always in contact with all the other parts of the universe, there is no separation!"

I see that I have always been in touch with this part but that my awareness was glued to everything else but this. That was the separation! I ask snake what it needs from me and he replies he needs for me to love him.

I immediately feel fear. I realize there was always fear of loving the snake, sometimes overwhelming fear. I see an inmense history of people being taught to fear the snake. I see the bible: there is a tremendous fear of loving the snake. But then I see that you can never love another person fully until you have loved your own snake, for everyone has a snake!

"That is the separation. Your inability to love me!"

I become fully aware that the snake that I had so feared had always been in the right side of my body!

(...)

Snake says, "Because people fear the snake instead of loving it, it get loose and is very destructive!"

I then experience that there are in fact two snakes: one in my left side that is very fearful and the one in my right side that is very powerful. I realize that I have always identified with the snake on the left side and that I have been terrified of the snake on the right side. I then realize that the fear on the left side is also love! When it pulls back and retreats it is fear, but when it goes forward it is love.

Both snakes rise up in me and meet deliberately face to face in the middle of my forehead.

This powerful meeting vibrates throughout my body and it comes to full focus right in the center of my forehead. I recognize this animal! It is the Sisiutl from Mexican simbology: the single snake with two heads.

It embraces the universe and comes back to meet itself face to face. I realize Sisiutl is both the symbol and the energy of wholeness...

"Into Wholeness:The Path of Deep Imagery", Eligio Stephen Gallegos, PhD

• Like 2

I don't love the snake but I do respect it.

Why not love it? It's just part of you.

Why not love it? It's just part of you.

It's just the way I am. You go ahead and love the snake if that brings you inner peace. I don't need to love it to have inner peace. But I do respect it because I don't want to be bitten.

It wasn't till I got about halfway through that I realized I wasn't in another masturbation thread :P

But seriously, good post!

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Reference points are interesting. What is our reference?

It is often only our self, which drastically changes perceptions.

I look at it like this. Imagine you've parked a car between three other cars, and you want to get out. There is a car at the front of your car, and one to each side, so the only way to get out is what we call "reverse". The interesting thing is, even though the direction you have to go does not change, we call it differently depending on our orientation.

Since you are sitting in the car facing towards the front, from your perspective, you have to go in the abstract direction of 'backwards' or 'reverse'. From the other cars perspective, reverse of the way you have to get out would be driving into the other cars. It's only reverse because it is the opposite of the way you typically face in a vehicle - but the way out does not change. It is 'absolute' you could say. If the car magically was turned around 180 degrees in its place, the way out would be then called 'drive forward' but the direction you are going has not changed - your relative orientation has.

It is interesting because some people negate this, and others find the negation strange. Sailors for example have 'absolute' parts of their ship, there's the bow, stern, port and starbord sides. This is from the perspective of the ship itself, bow is always bow, port is always port, and people who are used to centering themselves in orientation get confused by this some times, because it is no longer 'front' or 'back' or 'left' or 'right'. Those are directions which depend on your orientation, and they will change which way you go depending on which way you face. The same is true of the ship's orientation, it is just one level removed.

Reference points are interesting. What is our reference?

It is often only our self, which drastically changes perceptions.

I look at it like this...

Great analogies, aridus!

Another reason the snake should be embraced rather than resisted, is because the snake, as a totum animal, is representative of change. The snake sheds its skin, changing, growing.

Although we're talking about the snake of Kundalini here, I think the analogy is still valid. To embrace change, to not cling to the moment. Your point about the reference points in our lives seems very valid. To lose our personal history goes a long way to being in the Here and Now and living in the Tao.