Mattimo

Zhan Zhuang Rocking

Hi all,

While practicing standing postures it occurred to me to start subtly rocking forward and backward while paying attention to the connection between my feet and my head: weight transference might be a better description. I observed that my breathing became more automatic and my eyes seemed to shift focus. I was wondering if anyone could share their opinions or experiences about dynamically standing. That is to say, subtly moving while standing. It truly is a fascinating concept.

Thanks.

I don't know Zhan Zhuang, but I do this in my own 'brand' of standing.

I don't know about this as a practice for other people, hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in soon. But I do find it to be very soothing, relaxing, creates interesting flows, and it also has allowed me to stand for very long periods of time.

I don't think about it, or try to do it, it just seems to get going by itself and I let it.

Edit: I just realized what Zhan Zhuang is. Embarrassing jargon mixup. :lol: Anyway, yeah I do that in mine.

Edited by aridus

That is to say, subtly moving while standing. It truly is a fascinating concept.

Thanks.

I learned to do this while in the Army. Many times at official functions we were required to stand at 'Parade Rest' for extended periods of time. This is very demanding because we are not supposed to show any visible evidence of moving. I learned how to shift my weight and balance unnoticably. This keeps the mind from wandering and spontaniously making noticable movement.

Internalize it a little more, let the motion go deep internal and it should get rid of the rocking. Let that motion "be your motion" - but at root it seems to be a bit of a matter of where's your focus.

• Like 1

Hi all,

While practicing standing postures it occurred to me to start subtly rocking forward and backward while paying attention to the connection between my feet and my head: weight transference might be a better description. I observed that my breathing became more automatic and my eyes seemed to shift focus. I was wondering if anyone could share their opinions or experiences about dynamically standing. That is to say, subtly moving while standing. It truly is a fascinating concept.

Thanks.

I have been practicing ZZ from Master Lam Kam Chuen's book "The way of energy" for 4 years. This is my only ZZ experience and I have had no formal instruction from a teacher. But my gut reaction is this: if you must think about the rocking, then stop doing it. If it happens spontaneously, then go with the flow.

I don't rock back and forth, but my entire body starts shaking and trembling often when I practice ZZ.

What usually arises spontaneously for me, is shifting my weight from foot to foot. I am pretty sure that if your body has introduced the movement, it is doing so for a good reason. Trust its wisdom.

• Like 1

While practicing standing postures it occurred to me to start subtly rocking forward and backward while paying attention to the connection between my feet and my head: .. opinions or experiences about dynamically standing.

I'm currently practicing a standing posture from Sifu Chris Matsuo's dvd "Bagua Circle Walking - Single and Double Palm Changes" (the dvd is not listed in the 'store' but you can ask for it). The standing posture has some dynamic fwd~back wave action built into it, especially in the two variations when hand mudras are applied.

As far as combination of results + accessability, this standing posture is .. *gulp* .. I'd have to say the best I've experienced, by far. Opening up the channels in my arms and legs, connects to heaven and earth, circulates vitality profoundly, is coursing the bladder and kidney channels, and - perhaps most surprisingly - is putting me through the emotional wringer. I've never had a standing posture access and release deep emotions anywhere near what this is doing.

The dvd has the standing posture/s, then some squats work, then gets into bagua-specific work. I'm not into bagua right now, but the general instruction at the beginning of the dvd made the dvd way way way worth it. (His dvds are typically priced either $80 or $108 but, imho, the jaw dropping quality makes them a bargain.)

Sifu Chris Matsuo

DragonGateSanctuary.com

Youtube channel

blatantly enthusiastic,

Trunk

Some of my thoughts on motion when standing -

When I stand, I sort of look at spontaneous movement as analogous to the process of thought during sitting (or standing) meditation.

I don't encourage motion and I don't try to suppress it. It's there or it's not there and I simply don't get attached to it's presence or absence. It comes and goes. I think there is a component of healthy release associated with certain types of motion (particularly trembling and shaking) but getting too attached or focused on the motion can be a distraction from the standing itself.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks.

You need to transfer the energy to the lower dantian and open all the meridians that travel through the legs. This takes time to accomplish especially for beginners like yourself.

Ordinary people live in the middle dantian (emotional center of the body), whereas experienced Qigong or IMA practitioners will gradually shift the energy down and at the same time clear emotional issues, karma and toxins from internal organs. You'll be more connected to Earth and at the same time reach up to Heaven while standing in the middle (Man).

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

Ordinary people live in the middle dantian (emotional center of the body), whereas experienced Qigong or IMA practitioners will gradually shift the energy down and at the same time clear emotional issues, karma and toxins from internal organs. You'll be more connected to Earth and at the same time reach up to Heaven while standing in the middle (Man).

:)

Hi all,

Thanks.

Me too!

Just slow rocking... not sure but whatever.

John