Sign in to follow this  
lightminefire

reverse breathing

I've been told you should use reverse breathing when practicing taichi

how long are you suppose to do reverse breathing for?

I shouldn't practice reverse breathing more then 3minutes??

http://internalart.tripod.com/the%20art%20of%20meditation/breathing.htm

Let me know what you think regarding reverse breathing and how long one should practice?

thanks

A few links:

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/9205-reverse-breathing-dangerious/

http://www.chionline.com/taiji/reverseb.htm

I only use it for a certain small circulation (a particular micro-cosmic orbit). We were taught to start with 15 minutes and work up to 1 hour. But like any practice, you need to clearly understand what your doing.

The first link mentions Dr. Yang Jwing Ming. I have many of his books. He mentions talks about it in a few.

---

I see that you mentioned TaiJi. I think I would never use it for TaiJi. It just feels unnatural with the slow movements (Yang style). In TaiJi, your breath should easily reveal a natural course.

Edited by dawei

I've been told you should use reverse breathing when practicing taichi

how long are you suppose to do reverse breathing for?

I shouldn't practice reverse breathing more then 3minutes??

http://internalart.t...n/breathing.htm

Let me know what you think regarding reverse breathing and how long one should practice?

thanks

You should breath naturally unless otherwise shown and instructed by your teacher.

• Like 1

Reverse breathing, or "energy breathing" as taught by Chunyi Lin (not sure if you refer to the exact same thing), feels very natural once you get used to it. I breathe this way all the time without thinking about it.

• Like 1

You should breath naturally unless otherwise shown and instructed by your teacher.

If you see your teacher as a parent and not even bother to ask questions. That is not my way!

if you are interested in reverse breathing, i encourage a developed embryonic breathing practice. nurture your ldt by retraining yourself to breathe like a child. if u r lucky, the deep embryonic breathing pattern that you cultivate will naturally spill over into reverse breathing.

An excellent point when starting out - developing good sensitivity to the area with natural breathing first will help you realize a lot of things doing reverse, starting out from a smoother point. Reverse breathing generates higher energy amplitudes than natural breathing; smoother guts facilitate qi flow more optimally.

Gain experience with it by beginning the inhale at the bottom of the diaphragm where it overlaps with the psoas muscles - that's what "inhale at the LTT" means :) Combine that with letting go of all muscular input to the air passageways and you get nice deep breaths that start at the deepest level and pulls straight from there, like the piston in a cylinder. That should help you manage the transition between the two, a good root-connection to the bottom of your inhale...that point is key for different aspects in natural vs reverse, but its a good key either way.

Edited by joeblast

My IMA teacher suggests doing reverse breathing the whole time whenever I train - especially emphasizing it during Taijiquan. I don't know why one would want to try to limit it as the whole idea with the repetition is to make it an pattern under which one acts also when under a lot of stress (e.g. if one is suddenly attacked).

I do it whenever training and I generally train for up to three hours straight. It's highly energetic and grounding is important (i.e. observing the bodily principles diligently). It is paramount to stretch well in advance and recommendable to spend a bit of mindful time closing.

As others suggested, it is always good to check with your teacher if you're in doubt or feel uncertain or of course if you experience any side effects.

Happy training :)

If you see your teacher as a parent and not even bother to ask questions. That is not my way!

What kind of breathing is your avatar doing :)

• Like 1

Hi wtm,

I just wanted to add that it is indeed possible to combine reverse abdominal breathing with any type of internal martial arts - the internal principles presented by Stephen Hwa are universal to IMA - regardless whether effectuated using small or large frames.

reverse breathing does occur naturally often times. when you are laughing or crying are examples. it also happens if you are trying to push a heavy object. as it energizes the muscles to a higher level.

i dont think it is ever a good idea to force the breath. i am not in any medical profession, but i would think reverse breathing is not a good idea for someone with high blood pressure.

in my experience it seems that reverse breathing helps build up qi and also helps one to be able to lead the qi. a martial artist will need to be doing reverse breathing.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this