Sign in to follow this  
Moon Knight

Taoist / Chinese Medicine Schools in Illinois Area

I am currently finishing up an associate's degree at my local community college. My plans after I graduate are a bit uncertain as yet, and one option is to attend a school specializing in Traditional Chinese Medicine (preferably with a Taoist leaning to it) either before, after, or in lieu of pursuing a bachelor's degree of some kind at a traditional western university. I am keeping my options open.

I have personal reasons for strongly considering the Illinois area (including any states that border on it), but do not live nearby (currently located in South Carolina), so I was hoping that someone here could tell me of any TCM schools in that area, especially those with Taoist leanings, which I might want to check out.

I appreciate any recommendations you guys and gals can toss at me. Thank you.

Here is a list of all the accredited acupuncture and oriental medical schools in the US:

ACAOM Accredited and Candidate Schools

There a few that have "Taoist" in their names. One is in North Carolina. Also, I think that the ones that have "Five Elements" in their name take a pre-TCM classical approach. I don't think that any of these are in Illinois.

I believe that Yo San and Five Branches in California, and World Medicine Institue in Hawaii were founded by Taoists.

Good luck!

You might want to check out the forums here:

http://www.tcmstudent.com/SMF/

The moderator knows quite a bit about the various schools around the country, and you can search to archives. . . .

I'm currently at Yo San, and yes it has more Taoist leanings than a lot of the other schools in the USA (Taoism classes, qigong, and meditation classes)

One piece of advice you'll get is make sure you figure out where you want to practice after you graduate, and then make sure the schools you're looking at fulfill that states requirements.

Another thing you might consider is knocking out your Western Sciences before attending a TCM program. It'll allow you to focus more on the Chinese part later.....

Edited by robmix

Sign in to follow this