brawnypandora0

Do mainland Chinese believe more in materialism or taoism?

The Chinese Communist Party is essentially the world's largest guardian of capitalism today. I have no doubt that China and the West in general are becoming more concerned with materialism as religion fades. Analytic philosophy in the West has contributed to this as well. I've never been to China, but I think it's a morally dead country. There is no real widespread will for political and individual freedoms, and there never has been, especially not during the rule of the emperors. So is taoism really that influential over there anyway?

You have a lot of opinions for never being there. How are they formed?

I've been there 11 times, so I might have a few thoughts but it seems that it always takes too much time to change western thinking which already has a set thought in place.

What does morality have to do with any of it? Political and individual freedoms? You should read up on 6000 years of history to understand more about what they see as essential to survival and how freedom is extended under such conditions. I would say this, and I know others who agree who have been to china: There is a certain level of freedom they experience much greater than the west. There is no amount of explanation to convince someone other than just going there.

Taoism does not stand alone; it is part of the socio-philosophical-cultural mindset, just as Confucianism and Buddhism are. Read the Neo-Confucian movement about 1000 years ago when the 'three sat as one'. There is an apt saying that chinese are confucian by day and daoism by night.

For a strong influence, you should look at Taiwan which is much, much smaller in population and where temples play a more integral role to people's lives.

• Like 1

Materialism wins in China. But that is neither here nor there. Its an entire lifetime study in sociology just to scratch the surface.

Finger pointing is an insidious trap of your ego.

Start with the man in the mirror, as the MJ song.

First of all, it is the whole world, not only China that is extremely hedonistic and materialistic; the only thing is that China is today's world's factory.

...you should look at Taiwan which is much, much smaller in population and where temples play a more integral role to people's lives.

I wouldn't use the Taiwanese example. They are equal or even more concerned than mainland Chinese with economic success. Taiwan is a highly "westernised" (especially from the US perspective) country. It is still traditional in many regards, but Taiwanese people are obsessed with Japanese pop-culture and the American dream and values.

The Chinese Communist Party is essentially the world's largest guardian of capitalism today. I have no doubt that China and the West in general are becoming more concerned with materialism as religion fades. Analytic philosophy in the West has contributed to this as well. I've never been to China, but I think it's a morally dead country. There is no real widespread will for political and individual freedoms, and there never has been, especially not during the rule of the emperors. So is taoism really that influential over there anyway?

1. What's so great about religion? It's stale, inflexible and a poor reflection, if any, of true spirituality. e.g. With the current state of the world's affairs, I have a psycho crazy B*tch at work enjoying every minute of the tragedies because she thinks she will see Jesus soon.

2. There's a heck more morality in China than here (the U.S.). Here there's sex, foul language, and violence everywhere you look. China has it's problems, mostly due to exposure to the west, but I would much rather live there as an Expat than here (the US).

3. How is China "extremely hedonistic" Gerard?

1. What's so great about religion? It's stale, inflexible and a poor reflection, if any, of true spirituality. e.g. With the current state of the world's affairs, I have a psycho crazy B*tch at work enjoying every minute of the tragedies in the world because she thinks she will see Jesus soon.

2. There's a heck more morality in China than here (the U.S.). Here there's sex, foul language, and violence everywhere you look. China has it's problems, mostly due to exposure to the west, but I would much rather live there as an Expat than here (the US).

Edited by Baguakid

1. What's so great about religion? It's stale, inflexible and a poor reflection, if any, of true spirituality. e.g. With the current state of the world's affairs, I have a psycho crazy B*tch at work enjoying every minute of the tragedies in the world because she thinks she will see Jesus soon.

Well then if most taoists don't consider taoism a religion, I'd assume most would be actively opposed to religion as an atheist would? I can't imagine any taoist to have anything positive to say about Islam. I sure don't.

First of all, it is the whole world, not only China that is extremely hedonistic and materialistic; the only thing is that China is today's world's factory.

You may be describing mankind in general but the chinese are not the poster child for that argument.

...you should look at Taiwan which is much, much smaller in population and where temples play a more integral role to people's lives.

I wouldn't use the Taiwanese example. They are equal or even more concerned than mainland Chinese with economic success. Taiwan is a highly "westernised" (especially from the US perspective) country. It is still traditional in many regards, but Taiwanese people are obsessed with Japanese pop-culture and the American dream and values.

For Taiwan, I was referring to the influence (and role) of Daoism, not Hedonism. But I agree in part with your points about Taiwan.

Edited by dawei

the mainland chinese believe in taoism which can bring about materialism

I can't agree with that since Taoism is not very visibly an influence in life (compared to Taiwan). It is a part of the psyche at best but not as a general practice or worship. I think there are other influences that bring about materialism there but there are influences which also suppress the stampede.