Sign in to follow this  
brawnypandora0

Can Taoist practices cure primary hypertension?

Primary hypertension is known as the silent killer as many who have it don't know they do. Its etiology is unknown yet it leads to so many other health problems. So not counting traditional Chinese medicine, are these any Taoist practices that can treat it?

Since blood pressure was unmeasurable over two hundred years ago, I doubt that there'd be any scientific validity to any such practices, if they exist.

I don't know about cure or treat, I'm not confident to say such things, but, I'd say 'Gods Playing In Clouds' qigong is safe enough for people with pre-existing health issues. Couldn't hurt but might even help.

• Like 1

Primary hypertension is known as the silent killer as many who have it don't know they do. Its etiology is unknown yet it leads to so many other health problems. So not counting traditional Chinese medicine, are these any Taoist practices that can treat it?

Since blood pressure was unmeasurable over two hundred years ago, I doubt that there'd be any scientific validity to any such practices, if they exist.

I hope you'll forgive me for my brashness but your questions are real whoppers. You've been a member for 3 weeks but your questions, such as whether Mao was a Taoist or whether the Tao frowns on murder, are a tad peculiar. Now you'd like to know if their are Taoist practices, APART from traditional Chinese Medicine, that can treat hypertension, treatments for which you declare having doubts. You've got to admit, this sounds a little wierd, don't you think?

The answer to your question is no. Separating Taoist practice from TCM is like asking if western medicine has a treatment for hypertension that doesn't include pharmacology, diagnostics, dietary management, and exercise.

The efficacy of medical and other forms of chi kung in the treatment of hypertension becomes more demonstrable all the time, but if you doubt it from the beginning you'll probably find it useless.

There are plenty of people in here ready to answer your sincere questions.

• Like 2

there is a psychological preset with hypertension and high blood pressure with predominant fire type. Yang Tai Chi is good for settling down enough to become more water like. There is no scientific validity, but feeling very grounded or calm is an obvious effect.

• Like 1

The answer is unequivocally YES.

Next question please.

Craig

The answer is unequivocally YES.

Next question please.

Craig

How can that be? How can you have Taoist techniques that don't fall under TCM? That's what he's asking.

there is a psychological preset with hypertension and high blood pressure with predominant fire type. Yang Tai Chi is good for settling down enough to become more water like. There is no scientific validity, but feeling very grounded or calm is an obvious effect.

What's fire type?

My question about measurement hasn't been answered. How did Chinese practitioners of this even REALIZE that hypertension existed, considering that sphygmomanometers were only invented about one hundred years ago?

Edited by brawnypandora0

How can that be? How can you have Taoist techniques that don't fall under TCM? That's what he's asking.

Blastolio

I know you are all about precision in communication so how about this. I don't care that he used imprecise language in his question. what I heard is the title of the thread, Can Taoist practice cure primary hypertension.

dont care to pick apart the rest of what he may or may not have asked.

Frankly I think you are being silly in focusing on that little piece of how he phrased the question.

Craig

Blastolio

I know you are all about precision in communication so how about this. I don't care that he used imprecise language in his question. what I heard is the title of the thread, Can Taoist practice cure primary hypertension.

dont care to pick apart the rest of what he may or may not have asked.

Frankly I think you are being silly in focusing on that little piece of how he phrased the question.

Craig

That could very well be, but if you put his question in context with his others, it looks like more silly gaminess by yet another lost soul who wants to just screw with the board.

Edited by Blasto

That could very well be, but if you put his question in context with his others, it looks like more gaminess jus to screw with the board.

What's gaminess? Why doesn't anyone answer in specific terms? Is there a cure or not?

What's gaminess? Why doesn't anyone answer in specific terms? Is there a cure or not?

Gaminess is coming in here and expecting the board to be your own private research tool for your bizarre questions instead of even bothering to read a book and giving it some thought yourself. Maybe showing a little respect for Taoism would be a start.

• Like 1

A search of the abstracts in the qigong database (http://www.qigonginstitute.org/html/database.php), should show a number of studies of results of medical qigong and hypertension.

There are Taoist therapeutic techniques that do not fall under the TCM theory.

The word "cure" is not in my vocabulary so I can't address that, but the words "make a difference" are. Yes, I do believe a difference can be made. I also believe there are too many variables to make any absolute statements. I also wonder why the OP asked as he states he doesn't believe to start with. I think the abstracts mentioned above would be a good place to start in seeing evidence to justify shifting those beliefs.

• Like 1

Gaminess aside, the answer is still YES. Most don't realize that Gigong does not necessarily follow TCM through and through. I would NOT put Gigong under TCM but under a branch of Daoism which has many branches; another which is TCM. There is overlap but they are not 100% compatible in their systems.

I should clarify that I am talking about the most ancient forms of Qigong, one more familiar is Dao Yin, and which evolved to inner alchemy and eventually to Medical Gigong which is more powerful than TCM in curing some issues.

Shamanistic roots here just for a read: http://www.chikung-unlimited.com/Shamanic.html

There are Taoist therapeutic techniques that do not fall under the TCM theory.

My apologies. I stand corrected on this point and I don't want to sound flippant. As a critical thinking junkie and occasional practitioner (with luck), I know that intellectual humility - the practice of not presuming to know more than one actually knows - tops the list of 7 Valuable Intellectual Traits. And late last night under the influence of fatigue, vicodin, emotionalism and anger I pretended to know more about taoism than I actually do.

No doubt this is the first time this has happened in here, so I apologize for setting such an unfortunate precedent.

Just kidding... about the last part! :lol:

Edited by Blasto

Yes, Tai Chi can be used to control blood pressure.

Lot's of info on the web i.e 4 pages if you google "pressure site:http://www.taichiresearch.com/"

• Like 1

What's fire type?

My question about measurement hasn't been answered. How did Chinese practitioners of this even REALIZE that hypertension existed, considering that sphygmomanometers were only invented about one hundred years ago?

Measurement is not relevant. There are ancient mind body practices which can and do reduce hypertension. The fact that such tools of measurement did not exist at the time doesn't mean anything. It's really more of a side effect anyway. No one was sitting around saying "wow, your blood pressure is too high, go do this qigong set"

It is just simply that certain methods and practices designed for broader purposes have the effect of reducing hypertension in a way which IS measurable.

• Like 1

There was 'measurement' in a loose sense but one can't think in terms of a valued reading but an energetic reading. Unless your into energy 'measurements', this is maybe just too hard to explain or give convincing examples. But one has to see Qigong as a much more spiritual/energetic/vibrational practice. Although a general person may be able to read themself, with more training you can easily read another. This then gets into what we call in modern day, Medical Qigong.

Sign in to follow this