Jack Elias

What is the Most Important Thing?

The most important thing is like a butterfly. Once it is caught it is dead.

Bruce

natually ... I love this answer !!

I'd have to say ... the breath form.

It is said to stem into unbelievable abilties in life and after ... I've known three people to say this with certainty ... lol

natually ... I love this answer !!

I'd have to say ... the breath form.

It is said to stem into unbelievable abilties in life and after ... I've known three people to say this with certainty ... lol

I like to think that each moment has its own most important thing for each living creature so that there is an endless web of most important things all inter-mingled and changing all the time...every instant there is a ball swishing through a hoop, a pure note hit on a blues-harp, a shared moment lasting eons for lovers in a cool bed, a rabbit safely down its' hole, or conversly a coyote with a hare in its jaws off to feed the pups...each most important thing changes once the moment is accomplished... the Tao of the moment is transcended and the next most important thing pops into being a trillion/zillion times a second... That makes just about everything the most important thing! So, Awareness of each moment's possibility for transcendent joy may qualify as my answer- but that's just my answer for now...And it doesn't seem that important already!

What is the most important thing?

Still learning this..but to love god with all your heart, all your mind...then to love my neighbor the same way..cause ultimately it's the same..

Still learning this..but to love god with all your heart, all your mind...then to love my neighbor the same way..cause ultimately it's the same..

There is none. It is perception of what one has in mind which makes it to be anyhting one wishes.

As with life. We make it to be something according to mind, and thus experience such and determine it is a point.

A good question asked to me by my wife. She asked me ,"What is the reason for living? "

Simply put, "Nothing. People assume there is some mysterious nature, or some great goal to accomplish, but there isn't. The mere thought of there being one is the cause for much suffering (another experience of mind)"

There is mystery, because what is seen as mysterious is not readily seen by everyone.

Peace,

A good question asked to me by my wife. She asked me ,"What is the reason for living? "

Simply put, "Nothing. People assume there is some mysterious nature, or some great goal to accomplish, but there isn't.

I'm not sure this profound and simple thread is the right place to make a nit-picking linguistic point, (but don't think that's going to stop me...)

It's something that has bugged me for ages.

I think "the" is a pernicious word. It always suggests there's only one option. Suppose you met a man who was about to jump off a bridge to his death, and he asked "can you tell me the purpose of life?"

I'd have to say no. But If the same person asked "can you tell me a purpose of life?", I'd be able to think of many.

I think, not that it will ever happen, that if we abandoned "the" we'd be a lot less dogmatic and convinced and certain. If every time we thought we had "the" answer, we realised we only had "an answer", wouldn't we be better, humbler beings?

This is what comes of having saki with lunch. Happy thursday...

I think "the" is a pernicious word. It always suggests there's only one option. Suppose you met a man who was about to jump off a bridge to his death, and he asked "can you tell me the purpose of life?"

I'd have to say no. But If the same person asked "can you tell me a purpose of life?", I'd be able to think of many.

Most excellent.

You should drink saki more often

Hm. This is a woman's answer, I suppose, and not Taoist, but I don't think there are things, so I don't see how they can be important. Only other people are important. All my tantric practice has been to improve my ability to connect with other people.

"the" most important thing doesn't exist (I had that formed before reading Ian's insightful post).

The most important moment is right now. And that's about it.

It's important to keep old threads alive, though, lol.

I have found myself asking this very question recently, if only I had know this topic was already here I never would have had to post mine as the initial paragraph of this post has answered me. I have found my answer and as a student of philosophy I can not believe that I didnt come to this conclusion sooner and with out reading it first. I thank you for your help and the answer... that the question is the important part not the answer

I think only our hearts know the most important thing, and it can be one thing this moment, and something entirely different the next. To be able to join the flow of life, where everything comes and goes perfectly natural, at the exactly right timing, THAT is a joy. I believe that the moments in life that I`ve experienced this, I`ve also had a "knowingness" feeling that instantly helps me sort out what`s important (right/truth), as if I re-remember things that is new to me in this life.

My ultimate goal must be to live like this for every day of the rest of my life, but I keep falling out of it all the time... then there`s another climb ahead and... yay, goal again! lol

Go with the flow folks :D

Oh, How I've enjoyed reading all of your answers!

Great.

Thank you all for replying so i could see them

a little clearer !

Shon

Like this too!

terrific quote Anette L. !

--------------------

"Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry,

the philosophy which does not laugh

and the greatness which does not bow before children."

There is none. It is perception of what one has in mind which makes it to be anyhting one wishes.

As with life. We make it to be something according to mind, and thus experience such and determine it is a point.

Simply put, "Nothing. People assume there is some mysterious nature, or some great goal to accomplish, but there isn't. The mere thought of there being one is the cause for much suffering (another experience of mind)"

There is mystery, because what is seen as mysterious is not readily seen by everyone.

Peace,

I happen to agree here. I think that if we are to ask any question like this, we must first look at the role the Mind has in the problem. The mind is not our friend