Encephalon

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Taoism

Some of you may be thinking "OMG. I see stacks of these books for a dollar at disintegrating strip malls."

So far I've purchased four and I have to say they're very well written. I checked out the one on Taoism at the library and was so impressed that I whipped out the whole $8 and bought a copy from Amazon. I'm adding it to my essential list of books on Taoism for beginners (me) because it investigates Taoism by comparing it to different dimensions of western culture; Judeo-Christianity and philosophy, science and ecology, politics and pop culture. It starts with a pretty good history section. It does not have anything on internal alchemy.

So I guess that makes 6 titles that I would recommend for absolute beginners. The others are -

Opening the Energy gates of Your Body by Bruce Frantzis

The Book of Nei Kung by C.K. Chu

The Complete Book of Chinese health and Healing by Daniel Reid

365 Tao by by Deng Ming-Dao

The Root of Chinese Chi Kung by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming

Books I have yet to purchase but have been recommended here are -

The Way of Energy: Mastering the Chinese Art of Internal Strength with Chi Kung Exercise by Kam Chuen Lam

The Healing Promise of Qi: Creating Extraordinary Wellness Through Qigong and Tai Chi

by Roger Jahnke

I haven't abandoned the Chinese Classics! I just wanted to familiarize myself enough with the materials written for western audiences before I approach the Chinese classics. I must have 15 titles by Thomas Cleary but even those I have to be careful with.

BTW, Cleary seems to have his share of fans as well as a few vocal detractors. Does anyone know if there is truth to the accusation that, while prolific, Cleary's translations are not accurate?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Blasto
  • Like 1

Books I have yet to purchase but have been recommended here are -

The Way of Energy: Mastering the Chinese Art of Internal Strength with Chi Kung Exercise by Kam Chuen Lam

The Way of Power is a good sequel to the Energy IMO. I'm reading it right now. Different postures do create different energies. Even though Kam Lam Chuen advises against mindful breathing I can't resist and breath either abdominal or reverse. Pretty powerful so far. The only thing I'm not sure how it would blend in with Frantzis's stuff, but my hope and understanding is they are from the same side of practice.

An Idiot series is good, haven't read the Dao book though. Interestingly, some people take the name of the series literally and discount the books as being designed for mentally handicapped. That is they consider themselves in full mental capacity :lol:

Thanks for putting this here for Noobs like me. I appreciate it :P Think I'll skip right to "The Way of Energy: Mastering the Chinese Art of Internal Strength with Chi Kung Exercise by Kam Chuen Lam."

Edited by SageMD

Thanks for putting this here for Noobs like me. I appreciate it :P Think I'll skip right to "The Way of Energy: Mastering the Chinese Art of Internal Strength with Chi Kung Exercise by Kam Chuen Lam."

As someone who lived in Eugene 20 years ago I'm a little surprised that Nei Kung instruction has no presence there, given the town's reputation.

If you want a taste of what's ahead, the link will give you a taste of what you're in for with Lam Kam Chuen's training.

There are a handful of us who practice Chu Nei Kung, a la the Book of Nei Kung, which is similar (check my link) and gets chi flow going pretty fast, and it will give you the power to manipulate chi flow with your mind. It's also really good for flexibility, stress control, and a supercharged immune system, but the dynamic aspect really helps with ironing out asymmetries in you kinesthetic ability, although I still peel potatoes with my right foot.

• Like 1

I think life is the best book ever written. :D

I'm sorry, I just felt prompted to say that so I rolled with it haha.

As someone who lived in Eugene 20 years ago I'm a little surprised that Nei Kung instruction has no presence there, given the town's reputation.

If you want a taste of what's ahead, the link will give you a taste of what you're in for with Lam Kam Chuen's training.

There are a handful of us who practice Chu Nei Kung, a la the Book of Nei Kung, which is similar (check my link) and gets chi flow going pretty fast, and it will give you the power to manipulate chi flow with your mind. It's also really good for flexibility, stress control, and a supercharged immune system, but the dynamic aspect really helps with ironing out asymmetries in you kinesthetic ability, although I still peel potatoes with my right foot.

Thanks. I like the standing still exercises from the video series. My 12 year old daughter is about to have spinal surgery for scoliosis and I think this is the exercise she needs, though it is good for all. I wouldn't have known of this for awhile, if you hadn't mentioned it but, my gut says that this is what I need to investigate.

today I bought the book, "The Way of Energy, Mastering the Chinese Art of Internal Strength with Chi Kung Exercise". I'll let you know what I think. All your links are pretty good too, thanks again. :D

I'm adding it to my essential list of books on Taoism for beginners

Just ordered it.

$4, plus $4 for shipping. Not a big risk.

Edited by Otis

Just a reminder - there are a couple dozen used copies of "Opening the Energy Gates of the Body" by Bruce Frantzis avaiable on Amazon for less than $10, and many others starting at 13 cents! Now's the time to grab a copy of this modern classic!

9781583941461.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Opening-Energy-Gates-Your-Body/dp/1583941460/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301857383&sr=1-1#_

Largely due to this thread I went out to the bookstore and got the idiots guide to Taoism last night. Its a really good book :D