Trunk

Waving Hands & Feet

I've explored moving the hands and feet synchronously, for a couple of very simple methods:

1. Joint Rotations (ankles & wrists)

2. Sinew flexing (soles and palms)

Here's a third (below).

I think these should maybe be called The Park Bench Series because you can easily do all three seated on a bench, and the qi is nicer outside. B)

vfiles34445.jpg

"Waiving Hands & Feet" is just that. Sit on a bench (couch, chair) and waive hands and feet synchronously, slowly, with that heavy feeling as if waiving them through water.

Just feel the qi and let the outside qi get into the joints & bones of the fingers/toes, hands/soles. That's the point, right there. That helps to activate and refine the qi moving through the channels of arms and the legs.

So there we are: joints, sinew, qi.

p.s.

Obviously: Don't do this if you're feeling chilled, nor in really cold weather.

• Like 1

Trunk,

Nice post/topic. Good links. Only thing is, someone needs to use a weedeater around that park bench.

Do you also wave hands like clouds?

I'm starting to realize very favorable results from pawanmuktasana sequences. These are a set of dynamic stretching movements for the extremities. Ankles, legs, hips, wrists, fingers and shoulders all get worked in a gentle way. From Bernie Clark's Yinsights "Pawan means wind, mukta means release, asana,of course, means pose or posture. Thus the pawnmuktasana sequences are designed to release the flow of energy, and remove any blockages that prevent its free flow in the body, or in the mind." I'm convinced that getting some movement and flexibility to the fingers, wrists, toes, feet and ankles is critical to an overall practice.

I did several chair Kundalini yoga classes where we did these sequences as a warm up sitting down. Very invigorating and they certainly got the chi moving. One thing I learned from the chair classes is that you can get a lot of good work done sitting. Perfect for those who are battling injuries, have some very real physical limitations or just have a few minutes while sitting on a nice bench.

edit: Here's a link on the YinYoga site.

Edited by Eric23

Yup, the last few days I've been considering this...

The 12 regular channels run through the arms & legs (and torso) and all travel through the hands/feet. The hands/feet are really good access points for qi gong to the 12 regular channels:

- they (the channels) are all there

- all the layers from deep to superficial (bones, joints, connective tissue) are there and very accessible for movement work

- correspondingly, there's a lot of energetic transition in the channels/points near the ends

- best access to the gentlest form of marrow washing: bone breathing

The 12 channels are a big part of the refinery, and - hands & feet, it just makes sense. (And, of course, then the rest of the limbs and onward.)

.. pawanmuktasana sequences. These are a set of dynamic stretching movements for the extremities. ..

edit: Here's a link on the YinYoga site.

Cool!, the sequence is there online freee! :)

Thank you!

(interesting site, I'll have to explore)

I'm convinced that getting some movement and flexibility to the fingers, wrists, toes, feet and ankles is critical to an overall practice.

~ edit ~

p.s.

I feel that it's also significant that the palms and soles are known as chakras, gateways to Light.

post-19-130134934305_thumb.jpg

So, from marrow washing to channels to Light, there's a lot in the hands & feet.

Intuition that the channels that travel through the limbs

and (potientially) harmonize at the hands & feet

have a lot to do with harmonizing our humanity

relevant to those that go deeply into absorption

sometimes become slightly disembodied

I'm glad you posted this.

Some people think you need forms for qi and only forms. I do suppose it is true for the advanced that allowing qi to flow in specific ways requires specific forms.

I also take a little from zen and apply it in this department.

I often do this sort of thing, just whenever. It really is like playing with clouds.

Picking up cup, picking up cloud.

Point to something, point to cloud.

Pet the dog, touch a cloud.