Encephalon

Your vote for the most emotionally intense films?

Magnolia

Taxi Driver

Apocalypse Now

El Topo

Walkabout

The Sweet Hereafter

Platoon

The Mission

Bad Lieutenant

The Deerhunter

"You don't know the power of the dark side"

And on that note, this scene gives me goosebumps every time:

Great musical score, great scene. Luke plays into the dark side in order to defeat the dark side, but then realizes that it's a trap! Hate begets more hate? Violence begets more violence? He cuts off the same arm that Vader cut from Luke not too long ago. Parallels with family, the family legacy, etc etc. Powerful stuff!

@ninpo, The Usual Suspects is one of my all time fav's along with Snatch, Pulp Fiction in the crime movie category.

Snatch is good, a few too many characters, but that's why it's so watchable again and again. I found it better the second time round. The first time was being pleasurably amazed by all the film techniques Guy Ritchie had used from so many other classic films.

Actually I should say another film I loved: 'Once Upon A Time In America'. Not a thriller, but a great story none the less. Touching and sad...especially in the end. About 4 hours long if I remember rightly.

I know this is gonna sound bad.... but I still cry at titanic! haha

Snatch is good, a few too many characters, but that's why it's so watchable again and again. I found it better the second time round. The first time was being pleasurably amazed by all the film techniques Guy Ritchie had used from so many other classic films.

Actually I should say another film I loved: 'Once Upon A Time In America'. Not a thriller, but a great story none the less. Touching and sad...especially in the end. About 4 hours long if I remember rightly.

i would have thought the titanic would have been the first film mentioned or streetcar named desire, i guess they are just obvious.

i also like 'once upon a time in the west' but i am just a drifting cowboy.

• Like 1

i would have thought the titanic would have been the first film mentioned or streetcar named desire, i guess they are just obvious.

i also like 'once upon a time in the west' but i am just a drifting cowboy.

yep, 'once upon a time in the west' is one of my all times favorites too. Great soundtrack. The opening scene is just enthralling. That creaking sound.

I suppose we'd better mention 'a fistfull of dollars', 'for a few dollars more' and 'the good the bad and the ugly' just for good measure. Who can forget Lee Van Cleef with the musical watch. Somehow film making back then really had an edge, the spaces between the dialogue was almost more important.

Don't worry Ninpo! You'll have you're Leonardo Dicaprio someday! :lol:

Chan-wook Park's "Old Boy" for revenge films.

For straight-ahead dramas, I love Kramer vs. Kramer. The father/son relationship in that moves me!

9/11 films: United 93 and the Hamburg Cell.

Just about any Holocaust film, including the Holocaust miniseries.

Several Iraq war documentaries.

Clockwork Orange (an exhausting film to watch)

Reservoir Dogs

Just about anything by Mike Leigh or Lars von Triers

Another great single-parent-alone-with-child flick is Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, directed by Scorsese.

The Woodsman, if you're ready to sympathize with the child molester (Kevin Bacon). Beautifully made.

Love Story! Haunting soundtrack by Francis Lai.

A Short Film about Killing - Absolutely gut wrenching.

Yes, American Beauty is lovely.

David Lynch's Blue Velvet

Kubrick's A Clockwork

Most of Erich Rohemrs films, they are subtle

Can never get enough of Linklater's Before Sunrise and After Sunset.

Wong Kar Wai's In the Mood for Love.

Ray's Pather Panchali (Song of the Road). Keep lots of tissues handy.

The list is endless

Edited by Adishakti
  • Like 1

But any emotion, be it anguish, sadness, desire for revenge, anger, or intense happiness is welcome.

anger

Se7en - final scene

frustration

No Country for Old Men - final scene

sarcasm

Training Day - final scene (Alonso right before lighting his cigarette)

Married with Children Season 6 Episode 14 - The Mystery of Skull Island - final scene