Otis

Wayseer Manifesto

I don't quite know how I feel about this. Inspired words, some of it bullshit: "Your distractibility is an artifact of your inspired creativity". Um, no it's not. "You cant stand rules because in your heart, you know there's a better way". Yeah, but we need rules to function. Rules are necessary, they just have to be correct.

I have to sit with this. Part of the problem is that most of the 90% of asleep people he refers to who view this video will lump themselves in as a Wayseer. Everybody sees themselves as 'the rebel'.

It seems as though he is out to press a very specific button, and I feel manipulated by this video, so I don't buy into it. Darn clever wordsmithing, though.

I like this guy better:

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

He had to be speaking to himself bacause he wasn't speaking to me.

Beside, I don't want people speaking 'to' me. I want them speaking 'with' me.

Oh well.

Otis, that entire video gave me the chills. I loved it. It spoke to the part of me that knows that The Way underlies everything; and that every once in a while a light-keeper comes along to further the Way. We are lightkeepers here. There is something so inherently good in Life, if we CHOOSE to look at life this way.

I love your spirit, my friend.

'You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one.'

Otis, that entire video gave me the chills. I loved it. It spoke to the part of me that knows that The Way underlies everything; and that every once in a while a light-keeper comes along to further the Way. We are lightkeepers here. There is something so inherently good in Life, if we CHOOSE to look at life this way.

I dunno, it's mixed, I watched it again and don't understand what he's talking about fully...singing the praises of the dysfunctional? I like the spirit of it, but maybe I don't get it.

From the Video above:

"Your mood swings reflect the natural pulse of life...they give you unstoppable energy when you're high, deep soulful insight when you're low"...maybe true, as many bipolars have been famous people, but they often leave much wreckage behind...

"and diagnosed with a disorder? That's society's own way to deny it's own illness by pointing the finger at you"...yeah, perhaps sometimes, but there really are effed up people out there too, with body dysmorphic disorder, alzheimer's dementia, depressive disorder... are they just misunderstandings od creative genius?

"Your addictive personality is just a symptom of your vast underused capacity for heroic creative expression and spiritual connection"... That's all addiction is? Jeez, who knew?

I dunno, this is all over the place...I understand the desire to motive people, but what is he saying? "We are all the same you know, because we are all attracted to the flame" Yes, in theory...

Hey,

I find this amusing on several different levels.

1. Apparently no one else has gone searching the web for clues to what is going on with this video. Just call this the instincts of a 33-year-year veteran of various investigative rackets. The spokesman in the vid is Garret LoPorto who claims to be a psychologist or someone who is deep into psych and one of his interests/passions is to direct the energies of young people with AADD etc. into creative channels rather than into substance abuse and so on. It is a recruiting video. I followed it up. I took the test to see if I was a "Wayseerer" and found out that I was, but of course I knew that already. When I was 18 (1963) I organized one of the first anti-Viet Nam War demonstrations in the USA. I also spent 18 years as a private investigator specializing in criminal defense. My mission was to help keep outlaws on the street. I had any number of clients who were AADD (etc) and junkies and crank heads and strangely enough they all had a deep hunger for spirituality, but no way to connect to it because the Little Goody Two Shoes spiritual seekers and philosophy huggers were frightened by their energy and locked them out and then locked them up.

2. It is not surprising that the two of the most prolific posters on this site (a spiritual/philosophical site) didn't quite get the point of the vid. Carl Jung went a long way to demonstrate that the Spiritual/Philosophical fans are hard wired a little bit differently than the kids that LoPorto is trying to reach (Intuition verses Sensory...google "Myers-Briggs" or "Keirsey Temperament"). Apples and oranges.

3. When Songs writes "Yeah, but we need rules to function. Rules are necessary..." I want to reply, "Who is this 'we' you are talking about? You and your sister's Filipino house boy? You and the neighbor's Great Dane?" One of the few things I like about Venezuela is the almost non-existent enforcement of The Law. There is no regulation of traffic and as a result Venezuelans are the finest drivers with whom I have had the honor of sharing the road. There is no law on those highways, but there isn't any road rage either. Everyone respects the right of the other to do what he has to do as long as he is respecting them as well. Venezuelan highways prove that anarchy works because everybody gets where they need to go, happily. Maybe only those who think there is a need for law, need law.

4. I've long since thought that one of the finest sentiments of humanity was expressed in the admonition: "Keep a song in your heart and a smile on your lips as you set out to smash the state." Who else agrees?

I'm still skeptical of the guy. I'll go take the test. But just saying that there is no dysfunction, it's all a misunderstanding is wrong. I worked an inner-city ER for 18 years, and lemme tell ya, mental illness and dysfunction is no illusion. But sure, encourage those with challenges to overcome them. I just suspect this guy, that's all.

I find the whole point of it off-putting. And the haranguing tone: ALL the establishment is wrong, and only rebels are right.

That "test" is also total bullshit ("ooh, I'm a rebel, a nonconformist, anti-establishment dude") the whole thing is just self-promotion for Mr La Porta. There is nothing there if you take his thing apart. Unless you're into total anarchy, we need some sort of 'establishment'.

And it looks like the drivers in Venezuela do have rules, they just came up with their own. Yes, they did, otherwise there would be a collision at every intersection.

And it looks like the drivers in Venezuela do have rules, they just came up with their own.

And that is how anarchy works. No rules from the outside, but respect from within. Here we make it up as we go along; stay close to our side arms and all is ok.

I dunno, it's mixed, I watched it again and don't understand what he's talking about fully...singing the praises of the dysfunctional? I like the spirit of it, but maybe I don't get it.

I remember when I went to Burning Man for the first time. I felt very alienated at first; what a freak show!

It took a mushroom trip for me to realize: "I'm a freak, too!" I am not "normal", nor will I ever be. Nor, really, have I ever wanted to be. So why did I oppose their lack of adhering to an ideal?

Since someone else's freakiness isn't like mine, it's easy for me to leave them out in the cold. It's easy for me to draw the line in such a way that includes my gifts/challenges (which are often the same things), but which excludes someone else's. I'm in; they're out.

I'm pretty sure that if I lived someone else's life, then I would have a different idea of what was in and out.

What if we said: everyone's trying. Let's give everyone the benefit of the doubt, as long as they're not doing serious damage to others or the environment. Let me accept the genius in myself, and accept the genius in everyone else, even if I don't always see either.

That's what I think this is about (even though I'm less crazy about the song's 90% exclusion propaganda, but I see that as a marketing tool. People still want to feel special). Truth is: I think pretty much everyone is a freak, in one way or another.

• Like 1

And that is how anarchy works. No rules from the outside, but respect from within. Here we make it up as we go along; stay close to our side arms and all is ok.

Works for anarchists, but not so well for everybody else

Works for anarchists, but not so well for everybody else

Scurry for the hole Songs, anarchists are out there to get you, get your momma too and sis and her Filipino house boy and the neighbor's Great Dane...yum yum! So many dogs, so few recipes. (As Marble says, Hehehe.) Hohoho.

Scurry for the hole Songs, anarchists are out there to get you, get your momma too and sis and her Filipino house boy and the neighbor's Great Dane...yum yum! So many dogs, so few recipes. (As Marble says, Hehehe.) Hohoho.

I'm in the hole shooting my pellet gun at the Rule of Anarchy! :lol:

BTW, I couldn't make it through the whole video.

I don't think that what the creator of the video is saying is the whole truth.

I think what he's offering is a counter-weight offering to the story that society gives as truth: if you don't fit in, it's because of a character flaw.

I'm sure we can all recognize some cases in which a person's gift and their liability are one and the same thing. Personally, I think it happens all the time. What's beautiful about the video is that it is full of grace; for it is grace to recognize and make room for greatness in others.

BTW, I couldn't make it through the whole video.

Too bad. He doesn't really start talking about the Tao until maybe 90 seconds in.

Stay a dreamer, friend. I was hoping that you would like the video!