Well,
The more prohibitions there are in the world,
The poorer the people will be.
The more sharp weapons the people possess,
The more muddled the state will be.
The more knowledge and skill people have,
The more novel things will appear.
The more legal matters are made prominent,
The more robbers and thieves there will be.
Therefore, the words of the Sage say,
“I do nothing,
And the people of themselves are transformed;
I love tranquillity,
And the people of themselves are upright;
I’m unconcerned with affairs,
And the people of themselves become rich;
I desire not to desire,
And the people of themselves are genuine and simple,
Like uncarved wood.
I do nothing and the people are reformed of themselves,
Civilized by moral influence.
I love quietude
And the people are righteous of themselves.
I deal in no business
And the people grow rich by themselves.
I have no desires
And the people are simple and honest by themselves.”

On Doing Nothing

According to the teaching of the Sage, one who embraces the Tao has wholeness of Character, from wholeness of Character comes wholeness of the body, and from wholeness of the body comes wholeness of the soul. One should live along with other people without knowing where he is going, thus retaining his purity of Character. Accomplishments, utility and cunning will cause one to lose one’s heart. But the wise man does not do anything or go anywhere without following the bent of his heart. If the whole world praises him and understands him, he does not care; and if the whole world criticizes him and misunderstands him, he still ignores it. Fame and criticism cannot touch him. He is one who has achieved wholeness of Character.

The wise man, then, when he must govern, knows how to do nothing. Letting things alone, he rests in his original nature. He who will govern will respect the governed no more than he respects himself. If he loves his own person enough to let it rest in its original truth, he will govern others without hurting them. Let him keep the deep drives in his own guts from going into action. Let him keep still, not looking, not hearing. Let him sit like a corpse, with the dragon power alive all around him. In complete silence, his voice will be like thunder. His movements will be invisible, like those of a spirit, but the powers of Heaven will go with them. Unconcerned, doing nothing, he will see all things grow ripe around him. Where will he find time to govern?

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

I think there is excellent advice here on parenting. :)

Yep. As I have mentioned before, much of the TTC is directed toward the would-be ruler of the people, nearly everything can be applied to our daily life as well. I think your statement is valid.

Yep. As I have mentioned before, much of the TTC is directed toward the would-be ruler of the people, nearly everything can be applied to our daily life as well. I think your statement is valid.

always timely.

Hey, Marblehead.

I'm not sure what you mean with doing nothing.

Doing nothing implies acting naturally, without effort. From a place of wisdom instead of knowledge. Is that correct?

You always make nice posts like these, I enjoy them. You know, thanks n may the wind be at your back. ^_^

Edited by Everything

Hey, Marblehead.

I'm not sure what you mean with doing nothing.

Doing nothing implies acting naturally, without effort. From a place of wisdom instead of knowledge. Is that correct?

You always make nice posts like these, I enjoy them. You know, thanks n may the wind be at your back. ^_^

Thanks. In red: You got that right.

Almost identical to your last sentence: in green.

We are the wind. We just push things along according to how they would go naturally on their own. And a personal observation, we really don't need to do that too often unless we are anxious for that whatever to get from point A to point B sooner than it would otherwise make the journey on its own.

Of course, there are times when we want or need that whatever to take a different path. We then apply a side wind to get it headed in the direction that is wanted or needed.

Ah! Let the four winds blow!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to attain Wholeness of Character?

Attaining Wholeness of Character is not something that can be attained, in my view. Rather something that must be strived for every moment of our lifes. And if you want to know how to move towards a more whole character, that also depends on where you stand in life currently, or which problems you are facing that are preventing you from become more harmonious and integrated.

• Like 1

Nice response Everything.

I think that it also includes walking your talk (and your thoughts).

A thief can have wholeness of Character, although his actions might not be approved by many.

I guess it includes being true to others as well as being true to your Self.

A thief can have wholeness of Character, although his actions might not be approved by many.

I knew a thief once that stole money for a period of time and then couldn't stand it any longer. He returned the money and told everyone involved that he had done it. He didn't have to, he could have kept his mouth shut and no one would have known the difference. His thieving ways were a product of a horrible background, and he just slipped up; too much opportunity. I think the amount of character the thief in this case showed was pretty awesome, actually.