DalTheJigsaw123

Practicing QiGong in the Rain?

Hm... i meditate in the shower.

When i am in a state of increased awareness i find the sensation of water hitting my skin all over quite pleasurable. :wub:

-Chi-Gung in the rain...although probably enjoyable sounds like a quick way to get a cold.

I've thought of the same. More along the lines of meditating.

Im still waiting to get my chance to do it personally.

Hm... i meditate in the shower.

When i am in a state of increased awareness i find the sensation of water hitting my skin all over quite pleasurable. :wub:

-Chi-Gung in the rain...although probably enjoyable sounds like a quick way to get a cold.

Agreed!

Love it!

But I heard that it's bad to do QiGong in the rain, as the cold seeps into your body and could get you sick?

Agreed!

Love it!

But I heard that it's bad to do QiGong in the rain, as the cold seeps into your body and could get you sick?

I've heard the same with strong wind. It's said it burns away some of your chi. Not sure how true that is.

I've thought of the same. More along the lines of meditating.

Im still waiting to get my chance to do it personally.

Get some time and definitely do it!:)

Any reliable sources on that?

I've heard it to, with qigong and tai chi.

Don't remember specific sources off the top of my head, but I'm sure you could find it mentioned by Yang Jwing-Ming in his books, as well as some tai chi books, like the one by Yang Chengfu and Fu Zhongwen. I might have seen it around when talking about standing tai chi practice. Might also be in the Qigong for Health by Dr. Baolin Wu.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

I've heard it to, with qigong and tai chi.

Don't remember specific sources off the top of my head, but I'm sure you could find it mentioned by Yang Jwing-Ming in his books, as well as some tai chi books, like the one by Yang Chengfu and Fu Zhongwen. I might have seen it around when talking about standing tai chi practice. Might also be in the Qigong for Health by Dr. Baolin Wu.

Thanks!

So Standing Meditation should not be practiced in the rain either?

I did it today in the rain and for me it was amazing...

Thanks!

So Standing Meditation should not be practiced in the rain either?

I did it today in the rain and for me it was amazing...

Well I'm just repeating what's been said. I think that the ultimate judgment should be you and how you feel.

I think there are some practical considerations that should be undertaken. When you practice qigong or meditation, your mind needs to be still and your body needs to be open. If you've got something which is constantly going to mess with your mind and your body, it's not conducive to the best practice. If you live in a cool climate, and it's cool outside, and you're practicing, and then a cool wind blows, well, it's going to affect your entire body, and if you're trying to balance stuff out, then it could mess with your concentration and overall togetherness. Then again, a warm breeze on a warm day could make you feel like you're being wrapped in a comfy blanket, and make you feel warm and secure in your practice.

And if you like the cool air, then a cool breeze could be refreshing and balancing!

Same could go with rain and stuff.

I think there is something to be said for experiencing all parts of nature. You know how it goes- words of advice get codified then passed down then adhered to strictly with little to no thought. Sort of like, you should wear layers if it's cold outside! It's just common sense, probably shouldn't read too much into it.

Once you got a practice down, and can tell how it affects your body, then you'll be in the best position to decide what's what, I think.

Chunyi Lin advises against washing your hands or face too soon after practice for the same reason. That's from the Level 1 manual I believe.

Zhang, I believe the Baolin Wu book also mentions not practicing outside during a period of atmospheric shift or strong winds. Rain would be an effect of an atmospheric shift. (However, I personally don't buy into the idea of not practicing during at atmospheric shift, since it is almost always shifting in some way. Nothing is every truly static. And where do you draw the line?)

With that said, I still don't think it's a good thing to practice in strong wind or in rain or in thunderstorms. Wind and rain are draining, and thunderstorms are too chaotic.

Chunyi Lin advises against washing your hands or face too soon after practice for the same reason. That's from the Level 1 manual I believe.

Zhang, I believe the Baolin Wu book also mentions not practicing outside during a period of atmospheric shift or strong winds. Rain would be an effect of an atmospheric shift. (However, I personally don't buy into the idea of not practicing during at atmospheric shift, since it is almost always shifting in some way. Nothing is every truly static. And where do you draw the line?)

With that said, I still don't think it's a good thing to practice in strong wind or in rain or in thunderstorms. Wind and rain are draining, and thunderstorms are too chaotic.

Hm funny you mention that. I Naturally wait awhile after meditating before touching water, I just figure it's way too much of a wake up soon after.

Thunderstorm thing I don't find so much true, I also like lightning storms, so I may be biased.

Hm funny you mention that. I Naturally wait awhile after meditating before touching water, I just figure it's way too much of a wake up soon after.

Thunderstorm thing I don't find so much true, I also like lightning storms, so I may be biased.

I'm not sure if it's the energy of a thunderstorm that's regarded as chaotic, or if the situation is too chaotic for many practitioners to concentrate in. Too distracting and all that. I've always avoided doing it in any case.

I'm not sure if it's the energy of a thunderstorm that's regarded as chaotic, or if the situation is too chaotic for many practitioners to concentrate in. Too distracting and all that. I've always avoided doing it in any case.

Yeah I've thought maybe it had to do with the energy you gain from the environment, being you inherit some of the characteristics of the energy.

Which is chaotic. Could always be fear of lightning for people haha.

Any reliable sources on that?

In A Complete Guide to Chi-Gung by Daniel Reid he says not to practice in high wind. Supposedly it saps your energy.

-Also i read that you shouldn't piss right after Chi-Gung. Wait 30 minutes otherwise you get you piss out your session. Same Source.

-Also i read that you shouldn't piss right after Chi-Gung. Wait 30 minutes otherwise you get you piss out your session. Same Source.

Awesome info, I've thought about this but it's too enjoyable to go in depth.

Anyway thanks.

Practicing QiGong in the Rain?

So you can get hit by lightning? You have to get the empowerments from the lineage and not be afraid of the recovery time. :lol: :lol:

I practice Zhan Zhuang style qigong as instructed by Master Lam Cam Chuen in his book "The Way of Energy". He does not say why, but he instructs the reader not to practice in the rain.