Sign in to follow this  
Lotus7

New Book

Hello all, Im new to the forum and just posted a greeting in the Lobby section. Hope you get a chance to read, might give a bit of insight on myself and my experience in life thus far.

Anyway, I just bought a new book entitled, "The Lotus Still Blooms" By Joan Gattuso. I have only read the introduction, but it sounds like a worthwhile book. The lady is a practicing Christian minister for a nontraditional,nondenominational church who incorporates Tibetan Buddhism teachings into her work. Thats all I know thus far. So, I guess my question is: Have any of you read this book or heard of it? If you have, than what do you think and is it worthwhile for a beginner??

Namaste, Matt

Welcome to TTB. I'm not familiar with the book you mentioned but it sounds like a valuable contribution to the east/west dialogue that's been evolving for over 50 years, and which has characterized predominantly by Buddhists and Christians and western humanists. The dialogue between Taisom and the west has taken a little longer to unfold.

Taoism is the oldest, longest running philosophical/religious body of thought in human history, so it's a vast subject and can be approached academically like any other subject, or experientially through the thousands of practices of inner cultivation. Eventually, these two approaches will intersect. The standards that get recommended here time and again are "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body" by Bruce Frantzis, "Scholar/Warrior" by Deng Ming-Dao, "The Complete Book of Chinese Health and Healing" by Dan Reid,and "The Root of Chinese Chi Kung," by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming. Of course, none of them are exhaustive in and of themselves and may even possess some condradictions between them.

The subject of independent study has a received a mixed review by this forum. Some argue that reading has no purpose; find a reputable teacher, empty your mind, and pay attention. This is the "Jumping into the deep end" school of thought.

Many of us choose not to exercse that option and practice a course of independent study. If you've made it through high school without frying all your brain cells or falling under the spell of some charismatic cult leader, then you can most like honor you curiosity, you thirst for knowledge, and your spiritual aspiration by investing in a few book titles, preparing your fertile ground, and letting the Eastern Muse enter your consciousness.

My personal belief, which is not unique to me, is to begin the study of the subject through the books that have been written for western audiences by either eastern author/practitioners or western author/practitioners, and then take a crack at the original texts. Many people disagree with this and argue that you should immerse yourself in the traditional texts in order to drink in the original intent, raw and unvarnished. I think Eastern thought can be easily misinterpreted by western beginners - most of us can't even read our own Bible without imbuing it with all kinds of subjective baggage - but mindfulness is the key, in all things.

There are a handful of advanced practitioners in TTB who will be happy to assist you with your practice. Unfortunately, I am not one of them! :lol:

Good luck.

Thanks Blasto! I will definitely start with these books, or at least one of them, lol. A few years back I read and TRIED to comprehend "Cultivating Stillness", translation and footnotes by Eva Wong. But at that point I was so new to all this I was left confused to say the least. I get what some of it was alluding to now, but its still like a fog to me.

Ya know its funny Blasto, you are one of the primary Bums I have been following on here, in regards to your posts I mean. Kind of coincidental that you should be the first to reply to my first post. Ah, but I don't really believe in coincidences.

Well, if you or anyone else can answer a couple beginner questions, I do have a couple?

-First: What sort of meditative practice should I begin with to start emptying my mind? I am starting some new yoga practices. But what should I incorporate with them? A stillness meditation? Again, just what you would recommend.

-Second: I have done a good bit of research into hermetics. I don't know how entirely comfortable that path makes me. Seems like it could lead to some evil stuff :ph34r: Butin any event, I was reading a commentary on Franz Bardon's Initiation Into Hermetics, and the author was talking about how one can not "meditate" without first learning to completely stop the mind, if even for a short time. I thought that when you first begin a meditation practice, that was the whole goal of the meditation: quieting the thought process. Anyway, Im probably answering my own question. The more and more I look into hermetics... I don't know, just kind of creeps me out. Seems like a very dark cult.

Ok well any insight to these questions would be nice.

Namaste, Matt

Thanks Blasto! I will definitely start with these books, or at least one of them, lol. A few years back I read and TRIED to comprehend "Cultivating Stillness", translation and footnotes by Eva Wong. But at that point I was so new to all this I was left confused to say the least. I get what some of it was alluding to now, but its still like a fog to me.

Ya know its funny Blasto, you are one of the primary Bums I have been following on here, in regards to your posts I mean. Kind of coincidental that you should be the first to reply to my first post. Ah, but I don't really believe in coincidences.

Well, if you or anyone else can answer a couple beginner questions, I do have a couple?

-First: What sort of meditative practice should I begin with to start emptying my mind? I am starting some new yoga practices. But what should I incorporate with them? A stillness meditation? Again, just what you would recommend.

-Second: I have done a good bit of research into hermetics. I don't know how entirely comfortable that path makes me. Seems like it could lead to some evil stuff :ph34r: Butin any event, I was reading a commentary on Franz Bardon's Initiation Into Hermetics, and the author was talking about how one can not "meditate" without first learning to completely stop the mind, if even for a short time. I thought that when you first begin a meditation practice, that was the whole goal of the meditation: quieting the thought process. Anyway, Im probably answering my own question. The more and more I look into hermetics... I don't know, just kind of creeps me out. Seems like a very dark cult.

Ok well any insight to these questions would be nice.

Namaste, Matt

Hi first, Hi :)

Then what!? the Hermetic Tradition is wonderful!

My primary background has been Kashmir Shavism {a school of Tantra}, But my other Great inspiration on the way has been the Hermetic/perennial tradition.

In fact part of the reason I stayed with Tantra so long was that It is so incredibly similar to the Hermetic perspective, and is still a 'Living' tradition. I used to believe that the Hermetic tradition was dead, [no real teachers left who can transmit it] so I stuck with Tantra. I no longer believe It is a dead tradition, just so few good teachers available, yet within it [over many years] I have found the most astonishing teachings, that parallel and sometimes enhance the deepest oral teachings I have received.

My dream is to see the Hermetic tradition fully restored, for us westerners whose psyche it is so native too, In all its Glory.

We are talking about the tradition that pretty much began Art, Philosophy, science, religion, navigation, magic, ethics and medicine as we know them In the west.

A book you may enjoy which hints at a lot [enough if you can understand] would be 'The Secret history of the world' by Jonathan Black.

another is 'The Perennial Tradition' by Norman D Livergood.

But, what if I may ask are you finding creepy and dark?

Have Fun. Seth.

hey Seth!

Its not that I feel like the Hermetic tradition is evil, just that some of the rituals etc. are taboo to me. I dont fully understand it. It is kind of like the Bob Dylan song where he says, "...and don't criticize what you can't understand."

I have done extensive research on Hermetic science and tradition. What I have found AMAZES me! It is almost scary what one can possibly achieve through a thorough practice and application of Initiation Into Hermetics alone. I believe that is what drew me in off the bat.

There is a website(and Im guessing that I am allowed to post the name) called www.thedivinescience.org in which I read a great introduction about theurgy. On the site they offer an aspirants class a couple times a year in which I have applied for to learn more about the Tradition.

And yes you are absolutely right, much of what we know today in the way of art and culture has deep hermetic roots. No denying that. I guess any practice whether it be that of a Magician, shaman, Taoist Masters, etc.. can be used for good or for evil.

The system that I am looking at actually incorporates Hatha and Kriya yoga as a base of all its practices to enhance the practitioners spiritual and psychic growth. Anyways thanks for the post Seth. Hope to speak with you and others further on the subject!

Namaste, Matt

Sign in to follow this