Otis

The Law of Attraction

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that the Law of Attraction (as stated in the Secret) works?

• Yes
    • No

[edit]

On second thought, nevermind. It's not a conversation I want to get into.

My overarching opinion on all matters related to this issue:

Keep it real.

And remember this.

And this.

I'll reiterate my first post: I think that it works (and anyone who's kept up with my posts on subjects like this knows my issues :lol:), but that the method is incomplete, and that it is everyone's best interest to find a complete method that teaches the underlying workings on how stuff like this works, otherwise you could be messing with some serious stuff, both in your own life and the lives of others (and the greater universe).

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

My keywords for manifesting: Playfulness, Awe, Congruency, Relationship...

I feel that Spangler goes to the heart of the matter:

"When we think about what we manifest, we usually think in terms of objects, persons, opportunities, or resources. However, once these things become parts of our lives, they become aspects of the pattern we call ourselves. They may be separate from us physically, but they are part of the total enviromental, physical, psychological, and spiritual pattern that define us. They are outer reflections of inner states and realities.

In all our acts of manifestation, we are really only manifesting a new aspect of ourselves. We are giving our lives a new shape. We are the primary object of our manifestation"

Manifestation can become a natural flow of your life, allowing you to be intuitively guided to be in the right place at the right time to bring a particular manifestation into being...You will be inhabiting your presence more and more fully, and the result will be a growing pattern of sinchronicity and blessing in your life.

Paradoxically, you may then discover the need to manifest becoming less and less because the sense of wholeness in your life will be deeply satisfying in its own right and because you will find your needs and desires often being met without your having to set up specific manifestation projects to bring them about. Your whole life and its co-creative interaction with your world will become your manifestation project, and you will find yourself in a flow of giving and receiving that truly expresses the wholeness of your co-incarnational nature. That is when the inner art truly comes alive. That is when expends from simply being a technique to being a deep attunement to the creative force of life itself.

Experiencing this attunement and being a contributor to the shape of reality we all experience, a co-creator of our collective cosmos, is the ultimate craft. To shape a reality that honors and reveals our full nature and that, in co-creative alignment with the sacred, empowers and nurtures all of life is the highest calling I can imagine.

It is that calling that is the heart of manifestation. It is the essence of the inner art."

Everyday Miracles: The inner art of manifestation, David Spangler

Edited by Ulises

To the best of my knowledge, one of the first people in the western world to bring what is now known as 'creative visualisation' was a man called Richard Ingalese. I used to own that book many years ago. He was followed by an occultist called Ophiel, who was in fact the publisher Samuel Weiser. His book was called 'The art and practice of creative visualisation. Kick on 10 years or so and then you got Stuart Wilde who really brought it out into the open; Shakti Gawain had a nice litlle beginner type book also.... after that it all went wide.

In truth Richard Ingalese simply simplified western 'low-magick' (and by low I don't mean lesser)into simple points: concentration, visualization and, perhaps the most important of all 'desire'. It was, and is, remarkably effective if you know what you are doing, especially as you need no ritual or funny words or scented candles pointing North.

It is entirely possible to manifest/draw to you certain circumstances through the use of these techniques, and I don't mean a general call for 'wealth' or 'love' or something. I mean actual specific amounts of money or situations.

In general most people born in western astrology under a fire sign such as Aries, Leo or Sagittarius would have an in-born talent for it, due to their make-up being very desire/expansive based. Scorpio's can be insanely powerful if they can get their sh*t together, because of the depth of their feelings compared to normal individuals (take on a Scorpios mind for even just a minute and you'll know what I mean). Other factors, of course, are dependent on other planetary positions and environment.

Environment is a big factor because this is where the subconscious is programmed to either be able to receive or not receive. the Subconscious works like a hard drive, but in this case the software that has already been programmed into the hard drive prevents certain things being able to be viewed online (experienced in everyday life). This then leads to the desire. The desire is a sure sign of faulty programming.

Low magick/creative visualisation/affirmations are a way to re-programme the subconscious so it is able to receive the experiences the ego desires. The inner light can (or whatever you would like to call it) only act as water filling a container, the programming creates the form of the container. To make your container (the subconscious) change shape in order to receive/experience the things you desire you must, therefore, change the programming.

The affirmation methods' weakness is that first you must identify the weakness. It's actually easy to do, you just have to recognize what you lack; this is the 'general' method people so often criticize.

Exact form creative visualization/low-magick for specifics is something quite different. With enough desire and concentration (not the gritting of teeth variety) it can create exactly the form desired down to detail.

Regardless of kidneys, karma or your grandmother, if it's done right it achieves results. If it doesn't you need to get re-programming of your subconscious; I will say though, if done correctly over a period of time the visualization/desire will overcome the negative programming in it's own way (it'll bring about circumstances that create a new congruent programming so what you desire can manifest).

If it doesn't work, that means that dare I say, thousands of years of western esoteric tradition based on those exact principles (and others of the 'higher' variety) are a pile of crap. And that, just ain't gonna' happen. More likely you ain't got the fire (too much T.V).

Play with your chi all you like, it's a good thing, but don't discount what is essentially borne of thousands of years of western esoteric tradition, proven to each individual themselves.

• Like 1

To the best of my knowledge, one of the first people in the western world to bring what is now known as 'creative visualisation' was a man called Richard Ingalese. I used to own that book many years ago. He was followed by an occultist called Ophiel, who was in fact the publisher Samuel Weiser. His book was called 'The art and practice of creative visualisation. Kick on 10 years or so and then you got Stuart Wilde who really brought it out into the open; Shakti Gawain had a nice litlle beginner type book also.... after that it all went wide.

In truth Richard Ingalese simply simplified western 'low-magick' (and by low I don't mean lesser)into simple points: concentration, visualization and, perhaps the most important of all 'desire'. It was, and is, remarkably effective if you know what you are doing, especially as you need no ritual or funny words or scented candles pointing North.

It is entirely possible to manifest/draw to you certain circumstances through the use of these techniques, and I don't mean a general call for 'wealth' or 'love' or something. I mean actual specific amounts of money or situations.

In general most people born in western astrology under a fire sign such as Aries, Leo or Sagittarius would have an in-born talent for it, due to their make-up being very desire/expansive based. Scorpio's can be insanely powerful if they can get their sh*t together, because of the depth of their feelings compared to normal individuals (take on a Scorpios mind for even just a minute and you'll know what I mean). Other factors, of course, are dependent on other planetary positions and environment.

Environment is a big factor because this is where the subconscious is programmed to either be able to receive or not receive. the Subconscious works like a hard drive, but in this case the software that has already been programmed into the hard drive prevents certain things being able to be viewed online (experienced in everyday life). This then leads to the desire. The desire is a sure sign of faulty programming.

Low magick/creative visualisation/affirmations are a way to re-programme the subconscious so it is able to receive the experiences the ego desires. The inner light can (or whatever you would like to call it) only act as water filling a container, the programming creates the form of the container. To make your container (the subconscious) change shape in order to receive/experience the things you desire you must, therefore, change the programming.

The affirmation methods' weakness is that first you must identify the weakness. It's actually easy to do, you just have to recognize what you lack; this is the 'general' method people so often criticize.

Exact form creative visualization/low-magick for specifics is something quite different. With enough desire and concentration (not the gritting of teeth variety) it can create exactly the form desired down to detail.

Regardless of kidneys, karma or your grandmother, if it's done right it achieves results. If it doesn't you need to get re-programming of your subconscious; I will say though, if done correctly over a period of time the visualization/desire will overcome the negative programming in it's own way (it'll bring about circumstances that create a new congruent programming so what you desire can manifest).

If it doesn't work, that means that dare I say, thousands of years of western esoteric tradition based on those exact principles (and others of the 'higher' variety) are a pile of crap. And that, just ain't gonna' happen. More likely you ain't got the fire (too much T.V).

Play with your chi all you like, it's a good thing, but don't discount what is essentially borne of thousands of years of western esoteric tradition, proven to each individual themselves.

Interesting and informative post there, ninpo! :D

It was, and is, remarkably effective if you know what you are doing, especially as you need no ritual or funny words or scented candles pointing North.

Much like you don't need all those funny buttons on your keyboard to make the words appear on the screen of your computer -- you just need to visualize them correctly in order to "manifest," right?..

Real Western tradition of magic is not a Fire tradition. In fact, it predates the use of fire by hundreds of thousands of years.

So candles may be optional, but "funny words," obligatory. As is awareness of where the North is when you want to do, e.g., polestar magic. As is a bunch of other crucials. It is a technology. What we have in the "law of attraction" and so on is a model of the technology, minus the engine. It can even be a working model -- meaning, it will hum or flash lights -- but the driving engine of magic is conscious communication with other realms and their inhabitants, and this is missing from modern commercialized versions. Consciousness, first and foremost, is missing. "Reprogramming" can be done many different ways, but a program is still not conscious even if it is a program equipped to reprogram itself to run a different program. A magician, on the other hand, a sorcerer, a shaman, a kam, a wu, a medicine man/woman -- these are all conscious beings communicating with other conscious beings -- spirits, deities, animal helpers, plant teachers, ancestral souls, emperors of the stars, queen of the Moon, tianzun, m'boga, you name it... A system that refers to "tradition" while omitting the very core of this tradition and then gets you to assert that you negate the tradition by negating this new and improved system is indeed a magic trick in and of itself, of the stage magic kind.:)

I dare to say, based in my own first non-intentional manifestations, that David Spangler is on the spot: attuning to unity consciousness/the Sacred/call it what you want, presence, excitement/opening to the "anything is possible" consciousness, key:EMOTION (the more intense, the better)....and last, but not least:GRATITUDE. As wisely Spangler remarks, it's much more complex than a vulgar linear transactional model.

What interests me about David Spangler's approach is how he stresses the wholeness-making...definately "high magic" in the service of the whole (he as a experience of, let's say, 60 years working with the subtle dimensions) without all the "mumbo-jumbo" power-crazed, hilarious pomposity of a lot of magickal stuff...

"I have said several times in these fied notes that there is a major effort within the higher-order and transitional realms to heal the obstructions humanity is creating and re-stablish a co-creative partnership in love and consciousness between the different elements of the planetary system. To be part of that effort - to join in partnership with subtle beings to use our differences to enhance the circulation of spirit for the healing and transformation of the world - is for me the major reason for attempting to engage with the non-physical worlds. It's not to get guidance or to be told what to do; it's not to be taken care of by some heavenly parents; it's not to satisfy our curiosity or to appear special in the eyes of the others. It's to work, and work hard, at restoring wholeness to the earth system in alliance and partnership with beings whom we've either ignored or misunderstood for far too long..."

Subtle Worlds: A Explorer's Field Notes,David Spangler

Edited by Ulises

One of my big epiphany moments was about 6 years ago, when I realized that my beliefs, up until that moment, were relatively arbitrary, were due mostly to the circumstances of my life, and were not particularly special or true. At that moment, I also realized that I had complete freedom to experiment with new beliefs. Because of the circumstances at the moment, the most attractive new belief to play with was the Law of Attraction, and manifestation.

For awhile, I took on that belief as a new reality, and I watched it seem to work! There was real power in trusting, in moving forward without worry, in engaging the world through a smile.

And I still believe in that path (the smile, trust, no worry part), but I have pretty much surrendered the rest of the Attraction part. Not because I have seen hard evidence that it doesn't work, but because my subsequent epiphanies have been about giving up beliefs. The squishier the belief (even if it often seems to work), the more important it was, to let it go. I recognize as important to hold on to as little magical thinking (and as little preference), as possible.

I'm glad that I've surrendered the literal belief, because I feel like I subsequently would have missed half the truth. Because the Law of Attraction is so aimed at trying to get what I want, it obscures how important it is to love the parts of life, in which I don't get what I want. IME, it is during those times, that I need most to be focused on what's in front of me, rather than what's in my head. (Maybe this is a misinterpretation of LofA; don't know).

It is presence that I seek to cultivate now, because it is always here, and is my connection to immediate experience. I choose now to be agnostic about "how the world works", and rather just stay attentive to the path, rather than trying to oil the wheels myself. I do see the imagination as a very powerful organ (with its own Siddhis), but I don't see it as "mine" to use. It is another part of my brain, and I let it do its business, with as little controlling as possible from the volition and other parts of my brain that I call "me".

• Like 1

I believe that much of what you "manifest" in your life is a result of your actions. Every actions begins as a thought. So in my opinion, you attract what you think about only as much as those thoughts influence your actions.

For example, if all you do is think about getting rich, I don't believe that wealth will simply manifest in your life. I believe that these thoughts will lead you to do the things necessary to get rich. It's more of a simply case-effect relationship in my opinion.

• Like 2

Oh yes ... Law of Attraction - like attracts like, you get what you put out and all that ....

Errrmmm .... of course this works totally different to electricity and magnetism and all that other ; like poles repel stuff. I am sure the new age has it all worked out. Sorry for being a sarcastic bigot at the moment, I have been far too close to the crap that generate from this whole trip. Didnt even bother reading the Spanger stuff .... its all the same mumbo jumbo - in that;

its like what some people think about tarot;

Premise; tarot can tell the future. At some stage (or all the time) it is evident that it doesn't ... roll them out folks; "well, it might still happen ... it happened in a different way ..... you have to believe in it for it to work ... you did something different so things turned out different ... (and my all time favourite - I am being serious, I have heard this) ... the reading was right but the future changed ."

Most of this crowd, use 'intuition' and many scorn the 'mercurial facilities' (even though they play a major part in 'intuition' ). It all seems heavily marketed, aimed at a quick fix for cash and has a whole lot of slick looking, marketing experts at the top of their pyramid, moving down to emulated wannabes , poor saps at the bottom.

Spangler and Findhorn need to fly right, they have had a few frights over the years by adopting and passing on new age stuff to the gullible, I'm being serious again, they lost one of their old and dear beloved to it .... Breatharianism ! ... what were they thinking !

http://www.caic.org.au/miscult/breatharians/Wilderness%20Death%20Woman.htm

as a result of allowing scam artists like these;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasmuheen (Australian)

I have a pages long expose of the Law of Attraction stuff too, detailing the string of court cases, rip offs multi million $ amounts going back and forwards, incredible money making records and dvd sales - the fastest selling self help book of all time - ( another Australian ... Hey! we must be good at this ) ... and a bit of history tracking the idea back through various decades in self help books etc. .... Hmmm maybe I already posted it here before ?

In the meantime, I have posted this before, but what the heck .... :)

• Like 1

LOA:

On the contrary, I think using the Law of Attraction is one of the most difficult things for the human mind to achieve. I believe the mind needs to be very detached, free of fixations, and extremely open to intuitive signals and reflections of the manifesting mind in the environment. One needs courage, faith, acute observational skills, and an unimpeded creative curiosity to see real results. It's very hard to give up control, just as it's very hard to maintain control - both are unnatural to us in different ways, but in our society giving up control is easily more difficult. I can attest that in a very high and subtle vibration the law of attraction worked powerfully and reliably for a year of my life, creating endless synchronicities, to the point where my mind and events in the environment synced in totally astounding ways. It ceased to exist when I turned to bar hopping, drinking, bacon-eating, and hanging out with low vibe characters.

• Like 1

Yeah that's basically why I posted the video. It works...things happen and there are synchronicities...but here's the clincher: can you actually attract 1 million dollars with it? Magick that works but doesn't do what it's supposed to is just like the lazy genie.

• Like 1

IMHO:

1) You probably can't visualize or conceptualize $1,000,000.

2) The Universe does not conspire to create waste and excess. $1mil in the wrong hands would not be spiritually beneficial.

3) A lot of manifestations are not quantifiable. You can manifest abundance without a penny in your pocket.

Edited by Yasjua
  • Like 1

yep, thats my complaint about it ... the stuff in their marketing .... see rich people get more diamonds and gold just by wishing about it !

Its the Law of Attraction ... and has nothing to do with this:

deforestation1.jpg5715408448_c011f5e110_m.jpg

richguy.jpg

Edited by Nungali

My opinion on the 'law of attraction' is that at best it's the new age equivalent of get rich quick schemes. The only people who are really doing well and attracting the wealth are the people writing the books and doing the conferences.

The fact is most people on this planet are born into hunger, poverty and destitution. Now according to my understanding of the law of attraction, all the starving guy in Sierra Leone has to do is visualise wealth and abundance and all his dreams come true and he'll be fed - somehow. But isn't it safe to say most people cold, homeless and hunger are already visualising a nice warm bed and meal?

Another point worth noting is that the law of attraction 'craze' was/is extremely popular in Wall Street, Banks, Lehman Brothers until they collapsed, ect. So the continuous desire to create wealth and abundance of 50,000 people left everyone else picking up the bill of trillions of dollars for there fraud. And make no mistake speculative banking is nothing more than an elaborate system of theft, fraud and enslavement of everyone else by stealth through debt and usury.

No matter what you 'manifest' someone somewhere has to lose out. This is law that governs every aspect of nature and is unavoidable. The death or loss of one thing/entity/person feeds the life or gain of another. So buying a nice new shiny apple mac made in slave labour sweetshops to post pictures of yourself having parties and living it up on Facebook and participating in the 'creative force of universe' has very real unpleasant consequences for someone else and also the environment which is often overlooked. So we have to consciously question what it is we really want and weigh up the pros and cons of damage these objects do in obtaining them and try and minimise the unnecessary suffering we cause.

The law of attraction also suggests to me that the universe somehow got creation, in particular your own creation and circumstance wrong. You are were you are by design and necessity based on karmic forces. I don't believe any amount of visualising can alter this as i've highlighted above or else billions of destitute people would have solved there hunger along time ago. Every second a super consciousness, The Tao, reads and analyses every single thought, every single living entity makes. The Tao already knows your desires before you even comprehend them yourself so there's no need to visualise anything. Just work on burning your desires and stabilising your emotions and overcoming your need for wealth and your fear of loss. That's the real route to wealth and happiness. Anything else is just a side path.

• Like 1

If LOA worked then I for one would have won big on the lottery by now.

Nada so far but one lives in hopes.

:)

It's a nice idea but there's an old saying that goes...

"If wishes were horses then beggars would ride."

I do believe in Positive Thinking though a positive mindset makes for a generally cheerier outlook on life than a negative one.

Positive people are more 'attractive' to others so tend to have happier social and/ or neighbourly encounters than do Gloomy Gussies who other folks might avoid.

Edited by GrandmasterP

If LOA worked then I for one would have won big on the lottery by now.

Nada so far but one lives in hopes.

:)

It's a nice idea but there's an old saying that goes...

"If wishes were horses then beggars would ride."

I do believe in Positive Thinking though a positive mindset makes for a generally cheerier outlook on life than a negative one.

Positive people are more 'attractive' to others so tend to have happier social and/ or neighbourly encounters than do Gloomy Gussies who other folks might avoid.

Were you an avid follower of Napoleon Hill's Think & Grow Rich by any chance, gMP? Thats the original LoA framework, i think. And a better model too, but thats just my personal opinion.