Trunk

Sifu Chris Matsuo

I simply don't understand why people think baguazhang is so difficult, the actual combat seems quite easy to comprehend for me. It is the body mechanics that I do find difficult, that is why I spend so much time on proper body mechanics, so they will be second nature if need to be used.

Curious. Anyone purchase, or work with this DVD series? I recently saw a video with Matsuo speaking about the importance of the heart. Very rare to hear about the heart spoken about in this way. Inspiring! :wub:

First a disclaimer of sorts :D

I like Sifu Matsuo, I like his energy, I like the way he teaches. I think he is skilled at what he teaches and has a LOT to offer and teaches very openly. What I write below is not a criticism of him, or his ability or his Dragongate Sanctuary (DGS) system as a whole.

It is a review/critique of his Jinshin dvd that I have viewed. And the subsequent confusion regarding the lineage.

The healing art that first found me was Jinshin Jyutsu. I was very drawn to it, and after playing with it for a while in combination with the qigong I was learning, I tracked down the person who had brought it over to this side of the Big pond and studied with them. I have not done the complete training, and do not pretend to have full knowledge of the system.

I have found however that there is much in the system that is in line with the way Chinese medicine used to be taught, prior to TCM. This makes sense given that after Murai sensei healed himself through meditation and mudra, he began healing others and eventually he was given access to the Imperial archives in Japan for his work. He researched the Japanese copies of the old Chinese medicine texts and used that to develop a grounded theoretical approach to the healing work he was doing.

From what I understand the way jinshin was taught in japan is quite different to the way Mary Burmeister disseminated her knowledge of the art after returning to the states. This is typical and understandable, you teach to the audience you have. In Japan it continued with Dr Haruki Kato.

I recently had the chance to watch sifu Matsuo's DVD on "Hirai shiki Jin Shin Ho". Which according to DGS information appears to be a 'sister' lineage of Jinshin jutsu having come out of Japan with the Hirai family. Based on a, admittedly, quick internet search the only information available on the Hirai family appears to come from DGS. Although they are primarily credited by DGS as being the last students of Reiki founder Usui sensei. Despite some peoples view, reiki is not related to Jinshin jyutsu.

According to DGS the Hirai family passed their 'family art', sometimes referred to as "Hirai shiki Jin Shin Ho" to Hidetoshi Mitsuoka who taught sifu Matsuo. Though there appears to be two lineages here, one the reiki lineage from Usui and the jinshin one. Sifu Matuso often teaches the jinshin calling it "Energy healing mudras of the Hirai Family." So while Usui is mentioned regarding the reiki lineage, I so far have not seen or heard ANY mention of Jiro Murai the founder and developer of Jinshin juytsu. Maybe the references do exist, I honestly don't know. But google certainly produces no hits when Sifu Matsuo's name and Murai sensei's name are entered?

Given what is taught by Sifu Matsuo we know it IS the same art, and not simply a separate or different Japanese tradition with the same name.

Now, the thing that strike me as strange is simply that if this lineage of jinshin came to the US via the Hirai family and has nothing to do with Mary Burmeister. Why is it that the English language descriptions, and terms ARE Mary Burmeister's? Given that many of these things are not simply direct translations of the Japanese. Much of this way of explaining or teaching Jinshin was developed BY Mary for teaching Americans in the format she was teaching in. In Japan it was not taught in this 'Self-help' way.

I would have expected at least some difference, as is usual in 'sister' lineages coming down through different teachers.

Instead we have Sifu Matsuo going through simple basics from photocopied notes and using Mary's language to describe what jinshin is and what he is doing :blink::(

I cannot comment on the other Jinshin DVD's that are sold by DGS but $108 for a DVD that simply takes you through only part of what is included in the publically available Jinshin Jyutsu books is pretty steep by any standards. So when others on here have commented;

• The "jin shin" mudras DVD. There is slightly more info on this DVD, one extra mudra (which is also included in the DGS kuji kiri dvd), but I also found the same 9 jin-shin mudras in a 14 dollar book. I would personally just get that inexpensive book.

"Hirai Family mudras, well most of these are Jinshin jyutsu mudras. You can buy Alice Burmeister's book for less than 10 bucks on Amazon."

I completely agree! Get Alice's book, then maybe the handbooks, or search out jinshin jysutu teachers near you. Why? Because the knowledge on the DGS dvd does not teach anything extra that you cannot get from these cheaper sources. The DVD I watched simply goes through the 8 mudra shown in Alice's book (though either I drifted or Sifu Matsuo misses one?), and shows a couple of the ways of balances out the energy flows.

So I think Jinshin Jyutsu is a great method and approach to Gently working on yourself, and others. I would simply go elsewhere to learn it.

Hirai Family Healing mudras? I'm not convinced from what I've seen.

Best,

P.S. It should be noted that this Jinshin dvd is the one that appears combined in a 3 in 1 dvd, and so if you purchase it for the other dvds it is fair enough.

• Like 1

Curious. Anyone purchase, or work with this DVD series? I recently saw a video with Matsuo speaking about the importance of the heart. Very rare to hear about the heart spoken about in this way. Inspiring! :wub:

I also like the way Sifu Matsuo discusses the heart. However on the "Jinshin" dvd I watched it is not a main thing. He does however often go into aspects and discussions on the heart during his teaching of various methods. And there are some great extracts on his youtube account, I don't know if you'd have already seen them though ? So I don't think it is tied solely to the Jinshin workshop quoted by Trunk if you want to chase it up.

Best,

couple of new yt videos

p.s.

There are a couple of DGS reiki dvds (currently) listed on the DGS ebay page. Otherwise e-mail Laoxie directly ([email protected]) if you're interested (there might be more reiki dvds that aren't listed). I haven't seen any of the reiki dvds, btw, just thought it was an interesting yt vid.

• Like 4

He has a great spirit and easy smile. The story in the first video is very touching and a bit eerie.

• Like 1

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but is this the same longmenpai as Wang Liping's Dragon Gate Sect? And if yes, are the teachings/exercises etc. the same or are they both basically doing their own thing?

Very cool stuff. I got into reiki a little over a decade ago. i went thru reiki 1,2,3, and karuna then even higher to lightitarian and progressed in the levels of that.

I got introduced into reiki by my buddy tom who burned me from across the table. I tried leaning from his reiki master but she wasnt accepting students i know the lineage that he practices is very powerful and he had to do meditations and all of that.

I know the last attunement i got was so powerful that i had to grit my teeth.

Reiki masters are very cool and its a lifestyle. Meditations healing and so on.

The last teacher i had in it was very powerful. i asked her why her reiki was so different than mine and her answer " i do it more. The more time you spend in the energy the more and more it heals you as a professional full time healer i get to do this alot."

• Like 3

For those interested in the basic kunlun and kunlun's "red phoenix" practice, both are in DGS's "Kwan Yin Magnetic Qigong" dvd (also contained in the 'April special' 3in1 dvd) - but they are presented as part of a wider spectrum of practices that address many parts of the brain as well as ida, pingala, sushumna and a series of step-by-step hand practices.

So it means KYMQ is fully compatible with Max's Kunlun1?

Edited by Eugene

Also interested in this stuff here

1. Emptiness and Light,

which are most skillfully integrated via the central channel (sushumna). Special potentcies reside at the intersections of the central channel and the major chakras, places I call the "deep-centers". Typically within most traditional systems, central channel and deep-center methods are very advanced: difficult to get access to the methods, very subtle and still, difficult to accomplish. However, the central channel is super key for the process of harmony, refinement, deep integration.

2. Heaven ~ human ~ Earth

integration through the connective tissue continuum of fascia ~ tendon ~ ligament ~ bone marrow. (Joints are the confluence of those layers; the spine is a special stack of joints.) These "sinew changing" teachings are typically found within the three Taoist internal martial arts: tai ji, xing yi, and bagua. It's generally difficult to find the more profound teachings and, once found, it generally takes years of in-person instruction in order to really absorb the unusual postures and movements.

While the above two paragraphs may sound like unintelligable spiritual high-techery, the beauty of the dvds that I'm about to review is that they present relevant methods that are accessable to everyone. Simply, wisely, safely.

Sushumna in Taoism prior to MCO?

In general sounds like form of Yi Jing Jin. Am I correct?

I think that it is better choose ONE system. I have no chance to visit Kunlun Seminar. So if Sifu Matsuo system is quite sufficient and having taken into account I practice some another "fire" method, it does make sense learn Sifu Matsuo stuff for me as he provides very cool DVD's

Edited by Eugene

Sushumna in Taoism prior to MCO?

In general sounds like form of Yi Jing Jin. Am I correct?

Sushumna is where refinement into emptiness and light occurs, and the light refines the energies in du and ren (the "orbit"), in my experience. Even systems that focus largely on the MCO also recognize the dan tien as very important, which can be interpreted as refining into sushumna within the lower center. All this, imo.

Yi Jing Jin, I'm not familiar with, so can't comment on.

Well, I just examined Sifu's website and found some interesting information which I tend to believe but... I just wonder.

http://dragongatesan...ery/baguazhang/

The origin of Bagua is Tibetan Bon Shamanism which includes the practice of walking circular mandalas, chanting mantras and holding mudras or sacred postures and hands. These practices also open gateways to the ancestors and is still seen in the Bon dances of Japan which still contain the 5 element qigong and shamanic practices of the Tibetan Bon.

Bagua was born and developed in the Kunlun mountains of Tibet, which is famous for its magic and swordsmanship and is also the birthplace of Taoism. By legend, all sacred dance and martial arts originated from the root practice of Kunlun Bagua.

That's really intriguing info. I have read the book on "Prehistoric Bon" (Shamanism) by Ermakov who has transmissions in both Siberian Shamanism and Bon and according to that info there are many similliarities in them and he states that all relligions has the source in prehistoric Bon but as a matter of fact modern Bon does resemble Buddhism very very much and I have doubts that Siberian Shamanism is close enough to Taoism but I am not sure of course, just wonder. It is first time I here that Bagua's origin is in Bon. I only read that 8 trigram is come from Bon. I never heard that there are very much in common between Bon and Neikung systems and Sifu Matsuo seems to have some lineage from ancient shamanic Bon tradition which is close to shamanic Taoism... And he teaches some tibetan shamanic practices and looks like his approach is quite the mix of Shancing tradition through Max's lineage and Neikung of Bagua and Bon. In Tibet they stress more attention on central channel and according to my humble understading in Taoism they open up MCO prior to central channel as it helps to open shumuna later. I don't state it must this way. Just wonder Sifu's approach which is not common for China imo. In Bagua they open MCO first as I know. May it is in ChiKung like that and Alchemy is different.

Edited by Eugene

Well thats makes alot of sense even the element training i know has 6 forms and they all move in a circle and it is tibetan in origin.

Infact every type of burning palm that i have heard of was tibetan in origin.

Edited by templetao
  • Like 1

That's might be true but it is not clear where Sifu Matsou coming from. I see his "alchemy" lineage within the lineage of Shancing where Max got transmissions. Then Max admitted Chris as lineage holder. It can only mean that Chris Matsuo should teach "alchemy" stuff according to the Shancing lineage. And also Chris studied Bagua with Max as well as with other master in Japan. Does Max state the same about the origin of Bagua as well as japanese master? I want to say it is quite fishy statements from Chris's side and I wonder his lineage in his "alchemy". There are only Max and his japanese BAGUA masters mentioned on his website. What is Chris's lineage in Bon and Bagua not very clear for me. Yes, there are 2 masters mentioned but I don't know anything of them and they are from Japan. So stating that Bagua is derived from Bon shamanic dances is quite strange and not proved at all. Did he study Bagua within Bon lineage? Can anyone make it more clear for me?

I see his "alchemy" lineage within the lineage of Shancing where Max got transmissions.

You got this mixed up I think. Max Christensen is in more lineages, Chris Matsuo teaches in Wu family lineage.

As for what the japanese master thinks about the origin of Bagua.... it depends who taught you - once you get into some bagua school you just say what your master said to you. It's legends. It can't be proved. It doesn't matter. Even various schools that claim bagua only started with Don Haichuan often can't agree on facts and it's only like 150 years since his era.

Edited by Leif

You got this mixed up I think. Max is in more lineages, Chris Matsuo teaches in Wu family lineage.

Yup, I see now this

Lao Shr Wu Xiao Shr

A very fascinating and charismatic teacher. Trained by Wu Xiao Deng, (his Chinese godfather) who was trained by Wu Wai Moon. Knowledge and transmissions for Tibetan Snake boxing , snake baguazhang, Kunlun, Tibetan and Taoist medicine which has given Sifu Chris and Sifu Ray a very successful practice and business and has taken them around the world sharing at seminars and schools.

Now it is more clear, I missed it before. So Chris inhereted this stuff through Max's Wu lineage?

I am interested much in Chris's stuff because of Bagua, I found his approach is quite interesting, it sounds like it should be spontaneous form and not fixed as many others teach. It makes sense for me. But I have doubts it is possible to learn such a subtle thing with video.

Edited by Eugene

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but is this the same longmenpai as Wang Liping's Dragon Gate Sect? And if yes, are the teachings/exercises etc. the same or are they both basically doing their own thing?

No, it's not the same.

Longmen Pai whose current transmitter is Wang Liping is a school of Quanzhen Taoism (Complete Reality). Quanzhen is mainly based on Lu Dongbin's Alchemical Taoism and the principles established by Wang Chongyang who founded it during the Jin Dynasty in the year 1167 CE.

Wang Chongyang had seven disciples. Each of them founded his or her own sect.

• Ma Yu founded the Yuxian Pai (Meeting Immortals Sect)
  • Tan Chuduan founded the Nanwu Pai (Southern Void Sect)
  • Liu Chuxuan founded the Suishan Pai (Sui Mountain Sect)
  • Qiu Chuji founded the Longmen Pai (Dragon Gate Sect)
  • Wang Chuyi founded the Yushan Pai (Yu Mountain Sect)
  • Hao Datong founded the Huashan Pai (Hua Mountain Sect)
  • Sun Bu-er founded the Qingjing Pai (Clarity-Stillness Sect)

Wang Liping's lineage is this one.

• Like 2

I noticed in one of his other youtube videos, that Sifu Matsuo mentioned he is ordained as a Taoist priest. If I'm not mistaken, all of the Taoist lineages with a priesthood trace back to Quan Zhen. I don't know for certain which lineage Master Matsuo has been ordained into. It is possible that Dragon Gate is not referring to the school however, as Gate or "men" is a very common and varied term in TCM and Taoist medicine and alchemy, as are the imageries and associations of the term "Dragon."

I would be interested to hear which school his priest ordination is connected to. Matsuo has obviously studied with some very real and powerful Taoist masters.

Hello,

Here you can find true gem aswell in two parts. Very complex things put in very simple text as they truly are:

Sincerely,

Antimees

• Like 2

Sifu Matsuo mentions waterfall meditation in his Youtube clips.

Is that the one that has been taught as part of Kunlun?

Laoxie interview: what kind of martial arts do you teach?

I especially like

. That's why I got into the internal martial arts, but I never knew a concise way to describe it... I'm averse to hurting others, to the real martial part of it. When I was younger (and this is common for younger males), sure I liked to spar, but still I never really wanted to hurt anyone. And when you're a young male, you think, "what if I get in a fight?" .. but I never do, really. That's mostly just youthful male energy playing with your mind (at least it was for me).

I want to do something that will improve my health and deep integration in order to support my spiritual path. Those practices just happen to be within the "internal martial arts", but even that term doesn't suit me personally. Maybe "bagua qigong". .. but "qigong: martial, medical (self-healing, me personally), spiritual = all one thing". B)

• Like 5

i was so fortunate to find chris matsuo, especially when i did.

i am still very fortunate to remain in contact with him.

thank you chris matsuo.

feels like family,,,

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 2

Now, the thing that strike me as strange is simply that if this lineage of jinshin came to the US via the Hirai family and has nothing to do with Mary Burmeister. Why is it that the English language descriptions, and terms ARE Mary Burmeister's?

Purely speculation on my side, but could be due to copyright issues with Jin Shin Jyutsu term.

He might have learnt from both lineages and skipping copyright related troubles by not refering to the other one.

I completely agree! Get Alice's book, then maybe the handbooks, or search out jinshin jysutu teachers near you. Why? Because the knowledge on the DGS dvd does not teach anything extra that you cannot get from these cheaper sources. The DVD I watched simply goes through the 8 mudra shown in Alice's book (though either I drifted or Sifu Matsuo misses one?), and shows a couple of the ways of balances out the energy flows.

The DVD offers some slight variations and differences over what is found in the book, and some helpful tips that are perhaps common sense for an experienced practitioner of qigong and similar but might boost the practice a bit for some and are not touched upon in the book (I'm not including them below, but things like touching naked shoulder instead of covered, relaxing spine or better even laying down to feel the flow stronger, things like that). and of course a lot of talk about underlying psychological aspects of the holds and mudras.

As for the variations I noted:

- for the diagonal mediator flow which he calls fatigue flows instead, besides knees together, he also uses heel against knee, and additionally does holding on same sides too

- for the main flow he uses a point more towards throat than sternum (than shown in the book) and talks about throat chakra

- places hand on navel or second chakra, which is an extra step (not included in the book in main flow coverage)

- there are 8 mudras, but different: he does finger pose 4 a bit differently, skips fp 5 and fp 8 and uses different mudras instead, and for fp7 he has two variations

- as already mentioned, at the start of the workshop he has another mudra, to build up energy, and also a variation of it (which is more yang), and breathing through the central channel. I have found this part fairly worthy, but then I found a couple of Jinshin book mudras fairly worthy too, that's an individual thing - what's helpful for one might be useless for others.

That's after a quick skim of video, relatively uninformed take on differences as I have no clue about full Jin Shin method as taught by lineage holders and certified teachers, just have the Touch of Healing book and used and read only parts of it for self-help (it's a fantastic book, and has so much more covered than dvd - which on the other side isn't meant to be teaching on Jin Shin but on fatigue flows so that's understandable).

Edited by Leif
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link to the interview! I must say I was very fortunate for Zeroztao to turn me on the DGS!

Edited by spiraltao
  • Like 1

Who can say a little more about Kunlun Flying Needles Medical Qigong?

General description, the concepts, techniques, etc ...

• Like 2