Trunk

Sifu Chris Matsuo

I am looking at his eBay store and am a little confused. .. Description seems similar to ..

I've also noticed that DGS is not super clear on DVD names, sometimes the same thing is named a little differently. Either ZerosTao can clarify here or you'd have to ask DGS.

I haven't seen that many of his dvd's, but from my limited view here's my thoughts.

The power of Taoism comes from employing the macrocosm to harmonize the microcosm. Two primary mechanics for this:

1. emptiness & light through the central channel and deep-centers (where the central channel intersects each major chakra). Sifu Matsuo's "Kwan Yin Magnetic Qigong" dvd is the most accessible, most effective, most balanced, best presented set of methods I've ever seen that go toward this. You don't have to be a Siddha to start in this method and it takes you gradually to the right places.

2. heaven~man~earth integration through the connective tissue. Various still & moving standing postures work on this, including the internal martial arts. The "kunlun dragon" standing posture that Sifu Matsuo presents in the beginning of his "Bagua Circle Walking: Single & Double Palm Changes" (aka "Heart of Bagua") dvd is the simplest, easiest, yet profound and effective way to open the sinews and joints to heaven ~ earth integration that I've ever seen. The two mudra variations that he shows induce gentle undulation to the upper and lower spine. Very simple, very effective. I'm not currently taking up bagua, and so am not currently taking up the rest of that dvd - but that 1st thing shown on the dvd!!! OMG!!! So, I'd recommend that dvd and that posture, even if you have no interest in bagua. Oh, btw, the dvd is not listed on his site (I don't know why); you have to ask for it.

For me, when I first saw the quality of what he was providing, I wanted all of his dvds (and maybe I still do, in the long run :lol: ). Now I'm finding that I have plenty to work on for a long long time w/ just several.

- Trunk

• Like 4

I've also noticed that DGS is not super clear on DVD names, sometimes the same thing is named a little differently. Either ZerosTao can clarify here or you'd have to ask DGS.

Thank you.

ZerosTao, any feedback?

The headmaster of his school will be in Chandler, AZ for a workshop. Can anyone make it? The date is June 25&26 9am to 4pm. It will be awesome. Sifu Ray will be doing a lecture on "MANIFEST YOUR IDEAL LIFE". I meet and trained with both Sifu. Can't speak highly enough of them.

Some of these techniques are very elaborate and involve many steps. In real fights the opponent doesn't wait for you to execute all that stuff. So even if you succeed initially with dragon rolls over, for example, it may not be enough, because by that time the opponent may be in a place you don't expect doing things you are not prepared for because you've mentally committed yourself to an elaborate response.

All the quicker and less elaborate stuff has to be drilled to the point of being subconscious to be effective. The more elaborate stuff is a waste of time, imo. Arm bars are not easy to execute with a non-cooperating opponent. That's why in MMA matches it's common to see a fight drag on for what seems like an eternity while the grappler is waiting for an opportunity for a bar or a choke.

Edited by goldisheavy

Some of these techniques are very elaborate and involve many steps. In real fights the opponent doesn't wait for you to execute all that stuff. So even if you succeed initially with dragon rolls over, for example, it may not be enough, because by that time the opponent may be in a place you don't expect doing things you are not prepared for because you've mentally committed yourself to an elaborate response.

All the quicker and less elaborate stuff has to be drilled to the point of being subconscious to be effective. The more elaborate stuff is a waste of time, imo. Arm bars are not easy to execute with a non-cooperating opponent. That's why in MMA matches it's common to see a fight drag on for what seems like an eternity while the grappler is waiting for an opportunity for a bar or a choke.

gih, what is the defense against a vibration palm strike? or from someone who can

pass a wave thru a tree?

if someone has their xingyiquan to the point to where they are not using one element with the strike but all 5. :ninja:

why would someone at this level go into a mma match?

• Like 3

They dont.

MMA fighters are there to test their external fighting skills. So if a internal stylist has any virtue he would not ruin that competition. Plus it is not ethical to use internal power on someone who is not trained in it. Plus your internal power should be well trained enough to where it responds automatically to the situation.

• Like 4

They dont.

MMA fighters are there to test their external fighting skills. So if a internal stylist has any virtue he would not ruin that competition. Plus it is not ethical to use internal power on someone who is not trained in it. Plus your internal power should be well trained enough to where it responds automatically to the situation.

thank you templetao. :) thanks for speaking up.

The headmaster of his school will be in Chandler, AZ for a workshop. Can anyone make it? The date is June 25&26 9am to 4pm. It will be awesome. Sifu Ray will be doing a lecture on "MANIFEST YOUR IDEAL LIFE". I meet and trained with both Sifu. Can't speak highly enough of them.

Wish I could afford it.

Sifu Ray changed to to pay what it is worth to you. Of course $200 is the ideal price, but he is trying to reach out and honestly share. We had sincere students that pay what they could at the time of class. Then save up to pay the rest later when they see him or send it to him.

I am in Gilbert, AZ, where are you in Mesa? I am on gilbert west border, near mesa and chandler. Are you training at all and with whom??

Peace,

Q..

Yes indeed! This would probably not work against a very good boxer or experienced street fighter. When I studied Jujitsu, my teacher who had trained in Japan after the war, said that a real fight should last no longer than ten seconds. He always said the opponents head should look like a smashed watermelon after it hits the pavement. After watching him work, I had no doubt.

I studied Aikido after Jujitsu for five years and the way it was taught here in the W. was a joke. All the arm and wrist locks were flaky New Age pretentiousness. I actually preferred the real Aiki Jitsu style along with spontaneous movement as opposed to memorized technique.

• Like 1

Never compare internal training to street fighting...it's an entirely different thing. There are more purposes to internal training than simply destroying someone's face in a brawl!

• Like 3

Sifu Ray changed to to pay what it is worth to you. Of course $200 is the ideal price, but he is trying to reach out and honestly share. We had sincere students that pay what they could at the time of class. Then save up to pay the rest later when they see him or send it to him.

I am in Gilbert, AZ, where are you in Mesa? I am on gilbert west border, near mesa and chandler. Are you training at all and with whom??

Peace,

Q..

Alas my current employment makes about any expenditure on these things a little beyond me. I have been training Chen taiji with a friend as well as some qigong. My seated and lying down practices are better developed as my body is still recovering from a stroke a little over two years ago. Lately my focus has been on zhan zhuang as well as seated and lying down meditation. I'm in the Fiesta District near where the White Crane studio used to be housed. I recognize the insurance fellow in the pictures from the site in your profile.

Never compare internal training to street fighting...it's an entirely different thing. There are more purposes to internal training than simply destroying someone's face in a brawl!

Let's phrase it another way-

There are more purposes to internal martial arts in addition to smashing someone's face in (or whatever other thing you want).

You can cultivate all the chi you want, but if you can't actually fight, you aren't doing an internal martial art.

You might be developing internal something or another. But if you aren't actually able to translate that to fighting, then it's just regular old qigong.

You might be able to atomize a giant stone. Great. What happens if someone takes out your leg with a leg kick? What happens if they catch you in a feint, so your weight and balance is not moving in the right direction all of a sudden?

For people saying that one should train so these techniques can be applied instantly, great. But how do you do that? The only way you can realistically do that is by subjecting yourselves to the same kind of rigorous practice that the full contact sports demand- you have to face someone who wants to punch your face into a bloody pulp, is probably more experienced than you and (if you're training in a school and not in an actual ring fight) is probably in another weight class than you.

So, yeah, be internal. But make sure that all of your "internal power" can actually have an impact on the external world, and not just in the universe of your mind.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang
  • Like 1

There's an April special.

http://dragongatesanctuary.com/store/

Sifu Matsuo puts out stunningly effective material. I think that once a few bums catch onto his stuff, could become all the rave here. :lol::D

(not to lessen any of the fine teachers in & around already :) )

Thank you so much for sharing this, it has helped me more than china and peru combined. The other DVDs look good too but very expensive, please keep me posted about special offers if available. I look forward to seeing your other threads about mudras as well.

I was thinking of going to their school but saw that it is by invitation only.

• Like 3

Let's phrase it another way-

There are more purposes to internal martial arts in addition to smashing someone's face in (or whatever other thing you want).

You can cultivate all the chi you want, but if you can't actually fight, you aren't doing an internal martial art.

You might be developing internal something or another. But if you aren't actually able to translate that to fighting, then it's just regular old qigong.

You might be able to atomize a giant stone. Great. What happens if someone takes out your leg with a leg kick? What happens if they catch you in a feint, so your weight and balance is not moving in the right direction all of a sudden?

For people saying that one should train so these techniques can be applied instantly, great. But how do you do that? The only way you can realistically do that is by subjecting yourselves to the same kind of rigorous practice that the full contact sports demand- you have to face someone who wants to punch your face into a bloody pulp, is probably more experienced than you and (if you're training in a school and not in an actual ring fight) is probably in another weight class than you.

So, yeah, be internal. But make sure that all of your "internal power" can actually have an impact on the external world, and not just in the universe of your mind.

I recall one of my teacher's teachers saying for most people MA was pointless in a street fight. But I figure it might help some folks avoid them in the first place.

I recall one of my teacher's teachers saying for most people MA was pointless in a street fight. But I figure it might help some folks avoid them in the first place.

:)

Couple of relevant updates to AlchemicalTaoism.com.
- made a Dragon Gate Sanctuary: Introduction, Product Reviews page. It's still missing the magnetic qigong review, but what-the-heck - good enough for now. rolleyes.gif

- The site is back up. Everything is there + a few updates. It was over-kill to take it down, but I got to happily indulge that part of me that is very hesitant to have it there in the first place.

cheers,
Trunk

Edited by Trunk

The site is back up. Everything is there + a few updates.

Good to see it back up - a lot of love, experience and dedication has gone into AlchemicalTaoism.com :)

Zerostao is a fellow KY baguazhang player.

Through him i have gotten to learn many training methods and techniques. While i have only got to watch a heart of bagua and the VP that Zerostao shared with me.

I have absolutely no problem with low volume audio! His information is PRICELESS. Some mastes simply won't ever reveal it!

I learned thru heart of bagua that the dragon posture is the trinity stance on circle. Zerostao showed me the iron shirt qigong and the red lightning forms. These two forms have produced more visible results than any form i ahve ever learned!

Thank goodness for Lao Xie and Sifu Ray. Both of them have taken time to clarify some points that I wasn't clear on. Ray offers Skype classes.

All credit goes to Zerostao for turning me on to the Dragon Gate teachings. The application are very doable, if one has a clue about the combat side of baguazhang. It must be applied nearly nose to nose for maxium effectiveness, reminded me of Wing Chun in that way.

So bless Dragon Gate Sanctuary and may they prosper. I am hoping to get the three in oen dvd special, if all goes as planned.

• Like 1

Well said. If someone is serious about the martial aspect, that someone better be sparring every day against someone who isn't pulling punches. When I had a brief encounter with wu shu training, we were taught to punch and kick at 30% force but without pulling anything back. This was a critical skill to develop because it was this skill that allowed one to punch someone and potentially leave a bruise or a scratch without killing or seriously damaging health when sparring.

So something like a tail kick seems like a cool move, but in practice you have to have that tail kick pre-programmed in your mind and ready to go at the slightest hint of an opponent's intention to kick you. I actually succeeded at it during sparring but imagine this... I was just wasting my time, missing opportunities while getting punched in the face and guts, because I was waiting for my opponent to kick me so I could practice my tail (counter) kick. Obviously this is not very efficient to say that least.

So in a real fight I'll never use a flashy move like a tail kick. And a tail kick only has one fluid movement/step to it and not three or more.

I also realized that I don't have any dedication to the art, so I quit it. :) I kept coming home tired and bruised every night fighting people... Sure I was learning a lot, but I can't do it all. All the best people in my class practiced many hours every day and not just during the martial arts club meetings which occurred three times a week. Putting in an effort that intense and focused just to learn to beat people wasn't for me.

Well said. Sparring is essential. I suggest all the internal people try to spar against a real boxer or a kick boxer and see if you can last more than 3 seconds. Anything less is just not being honest with yourself.

Of course if the martial aspect is not essential for you, that's fine. But if you still think your internal art is a martial one, try it out against real fighters and don't be living in delusion.

Edited by goldisheavy

Well said. If someone is serious about the martial aspect, that someone better be sparring every day against someone who isn't pulling punches. When I had a brief encounter with wu shu training, we were taught to punch and kick at 30% force but without pulling anything back. This was a critical skill to develop because it was this skill that allowed one to punch someone and potentially leave a bruise or a scratch without killing or seriously damaging health when sparring.

So something like a tail kick seems like a cool move, but in practice you have to have that tail kick pre-programmed in your mind and ready to go at the slightest hint of an opponent's intention to kick you. I actually succeeded at it during sparring but imagine this... I was just wasting my time, missing opportunities while getting punched in the face and guts, because I was waiting for my opponent to kick me so I could practice my tail (counter) kick. Obviously this is not very efficient to say that least.

So in a real fight I'll never use a flashy move like a tail kick. And a tail kick only has one fluid movement/step to it and not three or more.

I also realized that I don't have any dedication to the art, so I quit it. :) I kept coming home tired and bruised every night fighting people... Sure I was learning a lot, but I can't do it all. All the best people in my class practiced many hours every day and not just during the martial arts club meetings which occurred three times a week. Putting in an effort that intense and focused just to learn to beat people wasn't for me.

Well said. Sparring is essential. I suggest all the internal people try to spar against a real boxer or a kick boxer and see if you can last more than 3 seconds. Anything less is just not being honest with yourself.

Of course if the martial aspect is not essential for you, that's fine. But if you still think your internal art is a martial one, try it out against real fighters and don't be living in delusion.

we would be honored if you GIH came here and showed us how it is done.

we would be honored if you GIH came here and showed us how it is done.

Where is "here?" If you are within 10 minutes of travel from my location, I'll show up and show you guys how it's done.

Where is "here?" If you are within 10 minutes of travel from my location, I'll show up and show you guys how it's done.

thank you for your kind and generous offer. we are just lazin around in kentucky.