Maddie

The Lower Chakras

I did some experiments as well. I can congratulate you on experimenting on your own and not blindly adhering to beliefs presented in the written word.

You see, I always wondered about where the "sexual centre" actually is located. I didn't feel that energy actually emanated from the lower chakras at all. That's roughly where the physical organs for reproduction are located but doesn't seem to have to do with sexual energy in its inception.

Then I noticed that, whenever I felt suddenly aroused, there would be a sharp puncturing pain in my solar plexus(actually, it is hard to pinpoint. It could also have its origin between the solar plexus and the lower dan tien) It feels like a huge mass of energy is transforming into something. For some reason, I had the intuition that if you are really on a path of internal cultivation you would have to avoid this kind of sharp arousal. I suspect it is chi devolving into jing so that it helps you get ready to emit semen for reproduction. At least this is the only explanation I can find for this. It is of note that this only happens after I have abstained from release of any kind for quite a while.

So basically you have raw sexual energy situated in the solar plexus. It can go two ways. Either it devolves into a lower form of energy which helps you to reproduce and is therefore biologically useful but spiritually harmful(if you set your goal that way, that is). Or it can get cultivated into a higher form of energy(ojas?) but in order for that to happen, you would have to practise a lot and avoid sudden arousal. There might be a way around this issue with proper cultivation and technique. But it either rises or falls. Is this the true reason for celibacy?

I had this sudden thought that knowledge of the "true" sexual chakra might have resulted in what became belly dancing with its emphasis on the middle section of the body. Crazy thought but it might be an idea?

Edited by Medhavi

I did some experiments as well. I can congratulate you on experimenting on your own and not blindly adhering to beliefs presented in the written word.

You see, I always wondered about where the "sexual centre" actually is located. I didn't feel that energy actually emanated from the lower chakras at all. That's roughly where the physical organs for reproduction are located but doesn't seem to have to do with sexual energy in its inception.

Then I noticed that, whenever I felt suddenly aroused, there would be a sharp puncturing pain in my solar plexus(actually, it is hard to pinpoint. It could also have its origin between the solar plexus and the lower dan tien) It feels like a huge mass of energy is transforming into something. For some reason, I had the intuition that if you are really on a path of internal cultivation you would have to avoid this kind of sharp arousal. I suspect it is chi devolving into jing so that it helps you get ready to emit semen for reproduction. At least this is the only explanation I can find for this. It is of note that this only happens after I have abstained from release of any kind for quite a while.

So basically you have raw sexual energy situated in the solar plexus. It can go two ways. Either it devolves into a lower form of energy which helps you to reproduce and is therefore biologically useful but spiritually harmful(if you set your goal that way, that is). Or it can get cultivated into a higher form of energy(ojas?) but in order for that to happen, you would have to practise a lot and avoid sudden arousal. There might be a way around this issue with proper cultivation and technique. But it either rises or falls. Is this the true reason for celibacy?

I had this sudden thought that knowledge of the "true" sexual chakra might have resulted in what became belly dancing with its emphasis on the middle section of the body. Crazy thought but it might be an idea?

Thanks for your responce. I find your observations very similar to my own personal observations. I have also felt that when I get very aroused that I very often feel it in my solar plexus area. Also as I previously stated in my last post each time I have worked on my solar plexus chakra (adding energy using the hold the ball technique at that level) that my general state of arousal increases dramatically.

I found your theory interesting that this feeling in the solar plexus during arousal might be the conversaion of chi into jing for anticipated sexual activity (much as saliva forms in the mouth in anticipation of eating). I have read that both the solar plexus chakra and the middle burrner of the triple burner system (which are located in the same area) are responsible for converting the jing of food into chi, so it could be plausable that this "food-chi" may be converted into sexual jing for sexual activity? I've also noticed that some of my better orgasms tend to extend up into the solar plexus area as well. I've also noticed that when I get hit in the balls, the pain tends to spread up to this area too.

In addition to arousal, I've also noticed that when I tend to get a bad vibe about a girl (like the one I spoke about last week) that I feel it in the solar plexus too.

Also as I had mentioned previously I noticed that when I worked on the sacral and root chakra I did not feel any out of the ordinary increase in sexual arousal or desire. Rather I felt other things, as I have already mentioned.

Now what I am not sure about is if this also holds true for women. I can't be sure (since I am obviously not a woman) but I have noticed that most of these books and websites are either writen by women, or take their information from a woman, as in this country its mostly women that seem to be interested in yoga for some reason. Perhaps it was due to these female yoginis personal experience that they wrote their description of the chakras as they did? Maybe the sacral chakra is the primary sexual center for a woman? who knows? It is certainly plausable as the sacral chakra is a yin chakra, or so I've read. Nevertheless pretty much everyone realizes that male and female attitudes towards sex are quite different, so perhaps this is the explination for that.

On the other hand the solar plexus chakra is a very yang chakra, and as men are yang, perhaps this is the primary chakra for male sexual drive? Though what does confuse me is why I seem to feel more sexaul arousal from the solar plexus as opposed to the root chakra which is obviously more close to the genitals? But as I stated in my last post my personal experience from working on the root chakra was not a sexaul one, but more of a "basic" one (guess thats why its also called the base chakra). What I mean by this is that the simple child like things took on primary importance while working with this chakra... eat, drink, sleep, comfortable home, like, dislike, ect. But then I go and work on my solar plexus and suddenly I feel very aggressively sexual... hmmm???? I'm still working on this one, so I'll share results and insights as they come. ;)

*edit: my "hunch" tells me that just like with the rest of the "issues" I worked on in my other chakras, that if I just keep working on this chakra, and get through the rough spot, then things should make more sense soon.

** ok so a little more time has gone by and I've had more time to ponder this topic, and its starting to make more sense.

Lets just assume for a moment that the center of a man's sexuality is his solar plexus, and lets also assume that the center of a woman's sexuality is her sacral chakra. The solar plexus is a very yang chakra, and the sacral chakra is a very yin chakra.

All things in nature see to balance polarity. This is why we have lightning strikes, wind, storms, magnetic fields, electricity, ect.

The woman being yin seeks yang in her desire to reach a state of balance from her her of polarity. The man being yang likewise seeks yin in his desire to acheive equalibrium from his state of polarity.

Now the woman being yin already is going to naturally be attracted to a strong source of yang, and the man being yang is going to be attracted to a strong source of yin. Using the solar plexus and scaral chakra as a center of yang and yin respectively for an example we can make the following observations.

Think of the "ideal" very yang solar plexus chakra man. The athlete, the jock, the fighter pilot, the Alpha male. All of these steriotypes are very yang, and these steriotypes also are known for attracting females.

Now think of the "ideal" very yin sacral chakra woman. She is very feminine, sexy, gentel, soft, smooth, pretty, charming. All of these steriotypes are very yin, and known for being very attractive to men.

Being that a very yang solar plexus energy is going to natrually be quite attractive to women, I suppose then it is not a suprise that one could see the role of the solar plexus in male sexuality, as this is what draws women (yin) to him.

Contrary to some other theories put forth on this forum, I do not believe women really want to be treated poory nor raped, BUT women are attracted to POWER, as power is a yang attribute, and one of the centeral themes of the solar plexus. Sometimes, somemen, the "bad boys" have an over active, unbalanced solar plexus, which is excessively yang. This is why it appears that women are drawn to "bad boys". Not because women enjoy being treated poorly, but because women are drawn to yang, and some of yang's manefestations are power, assertiveness, confidence, ect. This migh also explain why a woman is attracted to rich and socially important men, again due to the power associated with wealth and fame.

From the man's point of view, it is yang that seeks its opposite polarity in yin. This being the case it is again no supprise that for a man his solar plexus chakra would be key in his sex drive, for the essence of his sex drive is his yang seeking yin, just as an electrical postive charge seeks its negative polar opposite. Being that the solar plexus chakra is the predominate source of yang energy, it makes sense that this would be the centre in a man's body that would feel most drawn to a woman's yin.

This might also explain why men traditionally are less interested in monogamy than women. Yin is receptive, while yang is conquering and aggressive. Yin wants to take in, yang wants to expand, and move. After yang has made its conquest, its nature is to make another. After yin has recieved, its nature is to hold.

I realize that our raw sexual essense lies with in the domain of the root chakra, but could it not be that perhaps the root chakra is simply the resivor of this energy, while the solar plexus in the man, or the sacral chakra in the woman is the director of this resivor?

Anyways this is what I have come up with so far from working with my solar plexus. Any additional and thoughtful insights will be appreciated. :)

Edited by dmattwads

Some more thoughts for me to rant and rave on about the solar plexus, and specifically in regards to its relation to male sexuality.

I was wondering if any other guys on here periodically get these spikes in their libido that are NOT cured by "releasing" in the traditional manner? What I mean is (and this also backs up my ideas about male sexuality being contained in the solar plexus) from time to time I will go through a couple day spell of being extremely aroused. It will be so much so, that my usual efforts to deal with it fail such as cold draw/testical breathing, and am like "we have reached critical captain, we must eject the nuclar reactor", so I will release for the sake of sanity, yet to no avail. For after that for the rest of that day, and often for a couple days following the libido spike will continue, even though I'm now "empty". Now if the male sex drive were located in the genitals or root chakra area one would assume that such an action would aliviate such desire, but since it does not, it is suggestive of the source of such a libido being located somewhere else in the body.

In may case as I have already mentioned I had recently added a significant amount of chi to my solar plexus to balance it out for reasons other than sexual ones (for I had no inkling of an idea that the solar plexus might have anything to do with male sexuality at all). The first day after having done so I noticed a surge in the emotions of depresion, and a spike in libido. Usually, under normal circumstances if I do the cold draw in the morning I am good all day (no desire). That day (the first day of working on my solar plexus) I had to do the cold draw twice that day, and still did not feel completely at a neutral state.

The next day I did not do any qigong what so ever due to my fatigued and depleted state that often follows doing the "hold the ball" posture at the level of a new chakra which I am working on.

On day three my energy level had returned to almost normal, so I worked on my solar plexus once again. This time the over-joy emotions of the heart flared up (to include sexual over stimulation) and this day I did the heart inner smile/healing sound which seemed to be effective that day.

The next day after that I was extremely fatigued (more than usual after working on a new chakra) and took and extended nap, did no qigong (was too tired). This day my libido became excessive so much so that I decided to "release" in order to aleviate this condition. While it seemed to calm me down for a little while, a few hours later my libido was sky high once again. This was also the case the day after that, along with the extreme fatigue.

The only factor I could account for as being different was my work on the solar plexus chakra. The fatigue I expected because this is a common side effect no matter which chakra I work on (though the fatigue was more extreme in the case of the solar plexus). The factor that suprised me though was the effect upon my libido, which further reinforces my suspicion that the male sex drive is to be found largely in the solar plexus chakra.

The other interesting thing that I thought about was Kan and Li practice. Now I don't do Kan and Li and am not an expert, but from what I understand the practitioner uses the "water" element in the sacral chakra area, and the "fire" in the solar plexus area and inverts the two in relation to eachother. From what I understand this has the result of balancing the practitioners yin/yang internally as the water/sacral chakra is yin, and the fire/solar plexus chakra is yang. I think this is how an advanced practitioner finds yin/yang equalibrium internally as opposed to seeking it in an external source (i.e. a member of the opposite sex).

If my understanding of this practice is correct then, to me it further supports the notion that male sexaulity is centered in the solar plexus, and female sexuality in the sacral chakra, and that basically all the sex drive is, is yin and yang trying to find eachother to achieve a state of balance.

*edit: ok so I just finished my daily practice today. After getting to the hold the ball at the solar plexus part, I once again began to feel very sexually aggressive. After that I did the inner smile/healing sounds. Initially I began with the heart, but that did not seem to have much effect, so I then proceeded to the kidneys and that did help.

The assumption I made was that I was not so much "over excited" as I was "not calm enough" a subtel difference yes I know, but a difference nevertheless. But then again isn't being excited, and the fight/flight fear reaction of the kidneys/adreanals also a very similar feeling?

The way I distinguish it is that I did not feel hyper, giddy, reved up, or anything like that. I felt a more deep, urge, longing, desire. I figured working on the kidneys was a two fold solution. For one the kidneys house the sexual essense, so getting rid of its negative aspect such as uncomfortable desire, the kind of desire that coulds sound judgement helped. Also the kidneys positive attribute is calmness, which feeling more of that has its obvious benefits in regards to a situation like this. Also the kidneys keep the heart in check, so by default you also can prevent the "over-joy" problem of the heart by keeping your kidney chi healthy. I also figure since the kidneys are water element, that should help to counter-balance the fire element of the solar plexus :)

Edited by dmattwads

One thing that occurred to me was that male sexuality is connected a lot with social rank. When a monkey rises in rank in the group his libido gooes up. If he is made into a beta his libido goes down. As you have worked on strengthening your solar plexus you might have moved it from a weak beta position to an alpha position thus making your body think it is now top monkey and so should be very horney in order to impregante all female monkeys that are now your harem. THat might ocrrespond to higg dopamine which is connected to high sex drive. Low dopamine is also connected to high sex drive but in a desperate way. If you read the cartoon someone posted in one of Nons threads in the private practice session notice that the character gets more and more horny adn crazier and crazier sexual fantasies the longer he goes without getting any action from women and the more he feels humiliated and jealous (that last part would be liver activation of the sex drive though I think but that is also connected to the solar plexus). I think this is connected to the body of a very low status man/monkey knowing that it has very, very, very small chances to spread its genes so that if any oportunity arises it must be utilised no matter what the circumstances. The middle monkeys have some options and so should take some consideration in their choices as to not risk being punished for it or loosing social status by looking desperate etc, the bottom monkey has nothing to loose and the top alpha monkey can and should have sex all the time to spread his genes as much as possible because he can without risk.

There is an analogy in this with your own situation. At teh time you had very little experience and your self esteem was bad you very horny to an extent that bothered you. You wanted to stick it in any woman you saw as you said and it all was rather desperate. This was you as a beta or omega monkey. Now that your body thinks you are an alpha monkey or at least some sort of middle monkey you get more horney.

Anotehr thought is that this is adrenal related. The adrenals are connected to the kidneys but they are located right behind the solar plexus I think. Mantak Chia calls the point in the spine at teh back of the solar plexus charka the adrenal centre. He also says if you want to stay up all night focus on this point. That would be the yang point of the solar plexus chakra. Adrenalin I think is intimately conected to sexuality. Almost everything that turns us on does so because it adds excitment. Danger and any sort of risk kicks in adrenaline and so works together with sexual interest to increase arousal levels up untill the point where you think it is too dangeraous and you eject.

• Like 1

One thing that occurred to me was that male sexuality is connected a lot with social rank. When a monkey rises in rank in the group his libido gooes up. If he is made into a beta his libido goes down. As you have worked on strengthening your solar plexus you might have moved it from a weak beta position to an alpha position thus making your body think it is now top monkey and so should be very horney in order to impregante all female monkeys that are now your harem. THat might ocrrespond to higg dopamine which is connected to high sex drive. Low dopamine is also connected to high sex drive but in a desperate way. If you read the cartoon someone posted in one of Nons threads in the private practice session notice that the character gets more and more horny adn crazier and crazier sexual fantasies the longer he goes without getting any action from women and the more he feels humiliated and jealous (that last part would be liver activation of the sex drive though I think but that is also connected to the solar plexus). I think this is connected to the body of a very low status man/monkey knowing that it has very, very, very small chances to spread its genes so that if any oportunity arises it must be utilised no matter what the circumstances. The middle monkeys have some options and so should take some consideration in their choices as to not risk being punished for it or loosing social status by looking desperate etc, the bottom monkey has nothing to loose and the top alpha monkey can and should have sex all the time to spread his genes as much as possible because he can without risk.

There is an analogy in this with your own situation. At teh time you had very little experience and your self esteem was bad you very horny to an extent that bothered you. You wanted to stick it in any woman you saw as you said and it all was rather desperate. This was you as a beta or omega monkey. Now that your body thinks you are an alpha monkey or at least some sort of middle monkey you get more horney.

Anotehr thought is that this is adrenal related. The adrenals are connected to the kidneys but they are located right behind the solar plexus I think. Mantak Chia calls the point in the spine at teh back of the solar plexus charka the adrenal centre. He also says if you want to stay up all night focus on this point. That would be the yang point of the solar plexus chakra. Adrenalin I think is intimately conected to sexuality. Almost everything that turns us on does so because it adds excitment. Danger and any sort of risk kicks in adrenaline and so works together with sexual interest to increase arousal levels up untill the point where you think it is too dangeraous and you eject.

Hey Markern, I think your reply was one of the most interesting and informative that I have had on this thread :). I found your comparisons to the monkey's social status very interesting. I have noticed that as I work on my solar plexus chakra I am beginning to become more picky, while at the same time more women seem to be approaching me, which goes back to what you said about the monkeys.

I did see that cartoon on Non's practice page, and came to a lot of the same conclusions about it that you did.

Interesing you should have mentioned the adrenals for a couple reasons today. First is that when I felt my horniness level rise after doing work on my solar plexus which was in the middle of my practice, I then felt it calm down after doing the kidney inner smile/healing sound at the end. Since in chinese medicine the adrenals are lumped together with the kidneys, I got some "Adreanal herbal blend" at the herb store, as it contained Rehemmania ( a classic chinese herb for the kidneys/adreanals). I guess another way to look at it is as I mentioned before, the "water" of the kidneys balances the "fire" of the solar plexus. I also agree that a degree of aggression comes from the liver, but since the liver lies within the realm of the solar plexus there is diffinately a connection and/or overlap. Additionally as you mentioned the solar plexus / adreanal connection is also suspect (another good reason to focus on the kidney/adreanal system).

Thanks again for the reference to the monkeys, I found it very insightful, as well as the information about dopamine (particuarly the low dopamine = desperation connection, I'll look into that more) :)

Edited by dmattwads

Hey Markern, I think your reply was one of the most interesting and informative that I have had on this thread :). I found your comparisons to the monkey's social status very interesting. I have noticed that as I work on my solar plexus chakra I am beginning to become more picky, while at the same time more women seem to be approaching me, which goes back to what you said about the monkeys.

I did see that cartoon on Non's practice page, and came to a lot of the same conclusions about it that you did.

Interesing you should have mentioned the adrenals for a couple reasons today. First is that when I felt my horniness level rise after doing work on my solar plexus which was in the middle of my practice, I then felt it calm down after doing the kidney inner smile/healing sound at the end. Since in chinese medicine the adrenals are lumped together with the kidneys, I got some "Adreanal herbal blend" at the herb store, as it contained Rehemmania ( a classic chinese herb for the kidneys/adreanals). I guess another way to look at it is as I mentioned before, the "water" of the kidneys balances the "fire" of the solar plexus. I also agree that a degree of aggression comes from the liver, but since the liver lies within the realm of the solar plexus there is diffinately a connection and/or overlap. Additionally as you mentioned the solar plexus / adreanal connection is also suspect (another good reason to focus on the kidney/adreanal system).

Thanks again for the reference to the monkeys, I found it very insightful, as well as the information about dopamine (particuarly the low dopamine = desperation connection, I'll look into that more) :)

Coll that you find it usefull. A couple of points. As far as I remember from a study I read and from how I belive I expereince the same in my body, social status has a BIG impact on dopamine. I am sure you could lump in a bunch of related hormones as well, but dopamine fluctuations can probably be read as similar fluctuations in all of them. There is something a bit uncertain I think about the low dopamine high desperate sex drive thing as I think I have read other stuff that show a connection with men that perceive themselves as very unnattractive and or powerless turning of their sex drive almost completely. I can`t remember what I specificaly have read about it I just think I have read something about and it I have an impression from stuff I have read some men say in online forums that some men loose their interest in sex almost completely from feeling hopeless. There is a fetish called cuckolding where men want their wives to have sex with other men, preferably dominate, strong men with huge penises. THey get of on the humiliation and jealousy which I think triggers the liver into extreme arousal but they also can get of on other feelings such as being relieved of the pressure of having to perform as a man, being submissive, voyerism, doing the ultimate sacrifice for their wifes thus helping them see them as a goddess etc. Some of these men get extremely horny once the couple start with this but some seem to loose their sex drive more or less completely once they get very dominated by their wives and her lovers. Maybe there is something about feeling utterly powerless and low status that makes your body think total submissiveness and no risk of punishment through sexual attempts is the best strategy for now as anything else might mean death and so certainly no spreading the genes.

Another study showed that a lot of men in Japan and in France had no interest in sex what so ever and that these numbers had gone up dramaticaly and it was mostly the case among young men. I read something else about many young nerdy japaneese men loosing all interest in woman as they saw little hope to get interest from them. They also changed their focus in life to just doing fun things and not working so much and not giving a fuck about much at all in theri lives. I think this goes to show that even though it is not concious a lot of the behaviour of men in terms of behaving properly in society and focusing on a job etc. is ultimately linked to the prospect of access to women. Once men loose all hope of this after a while they start to loose interest in playing this game and so just drop out and play and become careless with themselves.

you mentioning Kan and Li made me think of something I have had an intuition about for some time. The feeling of passion is like kan and li/fire and water techniques. Kan and li produces steam from having the fire beneath the water. To me passion feels very similar to this steam. I have experienced steam through puttin gfire below water in teh primordial qigong form, through blending heart and sexual energies in Biels fire and water technique mentioned on trunks site and trhough visualising a sun warming my blue kidneys from below.

To me passionate feelings and arousal is different from pure sexual arousal, just being turned on by a hot woman. It is also distinct from teh feelings of a love/a crush that makes my heart chakra hyperactive and obsessed. This crush feeling does not necessarily make me very horny alhtough it can. I can have such feelings without being very sexually attracted (must be a little bit though). Passion is also for me dsitinct from having crush like feelings together with strong turnon for a woman. It comes close to the experience of beaing horny for and making love to a woman I have a crush for but it is not necessarily quite there. This can be more like the sexual energy is there and the love energy is there but they don`t necessarrily blend the right way and become steamy. OR at least ehy can do that but only moderately so. When love and sex really blend it gets very steam like and so passionate for me. However, I can also have passionate/steam like arrousal for a woman that I am only sexualy attracted to and not crushing over. For some reason dark woman especially Latinas will give me passionate steam like feelings just because of their looks.

My current theory is that passion/steam means that something is particualry right about you to mating. If you are a great genetic and practical match the more advanced steam sex get set in motion to signal extra reward and make you mate. Interestingly I can have passionate sexual turn on that involves no particualr love/need to stay with this girl feelings. Kan and Li and steam production is also on of the most energy producing and healthy processes in your body so it makes sense it would start of as a reward for finding something right outside yourself I think. Santiago mentioned that when a couple is truly in love and practicing tantra like sex some of the mor technical tantra stuff like deer excercises happen automaticaly.

I can`t quite see the fire going below the water or blending when feeling passion yet. I can`T see that clearly but I think it must be what is happening.

Coll that you find it usefull. A couple of points. As far as I remember from a study I read and from how I belive I expereince the same in my body, social status has a BIG impact on dopamine. I am sure you could lump in a bunch of related hormones as well, but dopamine fluctuations can probably be read as similar fluctuations in all of them. There is something a bit uncertain I think about the low dopamine high desperate sex drive thing as I think I have read other stuff that show a connection with men that perceive themselves as very unnattractive and or powerless turning of their sex drive almost completely. I can`t remember what I specificaly have read about it I just think I have read something about and it I have an impression from stuff I have read some men say in online forums that some men loose their interest in sex almost completely from feeling hopeless. There is a fetish called cuckolding where men want their wives to have sex with other men, preferably dominate, strong men with huge penises. THey get of on the humiliation and jealousy which I think triggers the liver into extreme arousal but they also can get of on other feelings such as being relieved of the pressure of having to perform as a man, being submissive, voyerism, doing the ultimate sacrifice for their wifes thus helping them see them as a goddess etc. Some of these men get extremely horny once the couple start with this but some seem to loose their sex drive more or less completely once they get very dominated by their wives and her lovers. Maybe there is something about feeling utterly powerless and low status that makes your body think total submissiveness and no risk of punishment through sexual attempts is the best strategy for now as anything else might mean death and so certainly no spreading the genes.

Another study showed that a lot of men in Japan and in France had no interest in sex what so ever and that these numbers had gone up dramaticaly and it was mostly the case among young men. I read something else about many young nerdy japaneese men loosing all interest in woman as they saw little hope to get interest from them. They also changed their focus in life to just doing fun things and not working so much and not giving a fuck about much at all in theri lives. I think this goes to show that even though it is not concious a lot of the behaviour of men in terms of behaving properly in society and focusing on a job etc. is ultimately linked to the prospect of access to women. Once men loose all hope of this after a while they start to loose interest in playing this game and so just drop out and play and become careless with themselves.

you mentioning Kan and Li made me think of something I have had an intuition about for some time. The feeling of passion is like kan and li/fire and water techniques. Kan and li produces steam from having the fire beneath the water. To me passion feels very similar to this steam. I have experienced steam through puttin gfire below water in teh primordial qigong form, through blending heart and sexual energies in Biels fire and water technique mentioned on trunks site and trhough visualising a sun warming my blue kidneys from below.

To me passionate feelings and arousal is different from pure sexual arousal, just being turned on by a hot woman. It is also distinct from teh feelings of a love/a crush that makes my heart chakra hyperactive and obsessed. This crush feeling does not necessarily make me very horny alhtough it can. I can have such feelings without being very sexually attracted (must be a little bit though). Passion is also for me dsitinct from having crush like feelings together with strong turnon for a woman. It comes close to the experience of beaing horny for and making love to a woman I have a crush for but it is not necessarily quite there. This can be more like the sexual energy is there and the love energy is there but they don`t necessarrily blend the right way and become steamy. OR at least ehy can do that but only moderately so. When love and sex really blend it gets very steam like and so passionate for me. However, I can also have passionate/steam like arrousal for a woman that I am only sexualy attracted to and not crushing over. For some reason dark woman especially Latinas will give me passionate steam like feelings just because of their looks.

My current theory is that passion/steam means that something is particualry right about you to mating. If you are a great genetic and practical match the more advanced steam sex get set in motion to signal extra reward and make you mate. Interestingly I can have passionate sexual turn on that involves no particualr love/need to stay with this girl feelings. Kan and Li and steam production is also on of the most energy producing and healthy processes in your body so it makes sense it would start of as a reward for finding something right outside yourself I think. Santiago mentioned that when a couple is truly in love and practicing tantra like sex some of the mor technical tantra stuff like deer excercises happen automaticaly.

I can`t quite see the fire going below the water or blending when feeling passion yet. I can`T see that clearly but I think it must be what is happening.

If you wouldn't mind, could you clarify the difference you mean by passion arousal, vs sexual arousal?

Also I have noticed a similar thing with latinas. Where I live now there are a lot of them. About a month ago when I first began working on my solar plexus two different ones took me home in the same week. I don't know what it was, but thats what happened. With the first one in particular I noticed just sitting next to her and talking to her I felt a LOT of chi, particuarly in my hands, that was new. The second one was harder to understand cause the whole time I was talking to her she looked bored, but then got pretty loud when she climbed on top of me... go figure? That girl I spoke of last week who was really pretty but kind of freaked me out was also a hot latina, but by this point I was beginning to feel a bit disillusioned with boinking hot latinas just for a cheap thrill. Perhaps this is where my heart chakra cast its veto for any more such behavior? Though I suppose it is not a streach to say my solar plexus may have said nay as well, as I've heard that this chakra has to do with our self respect, boundries, and limitations. I found your insights into status and sex drive/appeal very interesting as the solar plexus as all about power and status.

So basically I feel rather disoriented as of late, trying to process all of these conflicting feelings, or morality vs horniness, respect for self and others vs wanting to have fun/feel good. But that is one of the reasons I have begun to work again on my solar plexus, as I feel that a lot of the conflict is within it. The aggressive sex drive seems to lie with in there, but so does my personal standards as well. So I am trying to achieve a greater state of equalibrium in there, and less polarity of these two extremes.

Another interesting question that you raised, and I have been pondering since reading your last post is what is the relationship between chi and hormones? Obviously hormones are the phyical chemical component, and chi the energetic, but what I want to know is how the two interact, and affect eachother? Also again, I would be interested and appreciate a little clarification as to what you mean as the difference between passion and the desire for sex?

Edited by dmattwads

If you wouldn't mind, could you clarify the difference you mean by passion arousal, vs sexual arousal?

Also I have noticed a similar thing with latinas. Where I live now there are a lot of them. About a month ago when I first began working on my solar plexus two different ones took me home in the same week. I don't know what it was, but thats what happened. With the first one in particular I noticed just sitting next to her and talking to her I felt a LOT of chi, particuarly in my hands, that was new. The second one was harder to understand cause the whole time I was talking to her she looked bored, but then got pretty loud when she climbed on top of me... go figure? That girl I spoke of last week who was really pretty but kind of freaked me out was also a hot latina, but by this point I was beginning to feel a bit disillusioned with boinking hot latinas just for a cheap thrill. Perhaps this is where my heart chakra cast its veto for any more such behavior? Though I suppose it is not a streach to say my solar plexus may have said nay as well, as I've heard that this chakra has to do with our self respect, boundries, and limitations. I found your insights into status and sex drive/appeal very interesting as the solar plexus as all about power and status.

So basically I feel rather disoriented as of late, trying to process all of these conflicting feelings, or morality vs horniness, respect for self and others vs wanting to have fun/feel good. But that is one of the reasons I have begun to work again on my solar plexus, as I feel that a lot of the conflict is within it. The aggressive sex drive seems to lie with in there, but so does my personal standards as well. So I am trying to achieve a greater state of equalibrium in there, and less polarity of these two extremes.

Another interesting question that you raised, and I have been pondering since reading your last post is what is the relationship between chi and hormones? Obviously hormones are the phyical chemical component, and chi the energetic, but what I want to know is how the two interact, and affect eachother? Also again, I would be interested and appreciate a little clarification as to what you mean as the difference between passion and the desire for sex?

I am not so clear on this myself but I`ll try. The pure sexual arousal is more distinctly genitally focused. It can spread out to the whole body but it clearly starts for me in the gentials and root and goes up. Passion arousal is felt immediately also in the chest area and more a whole body event all the time. I think when people feel passion for anything it is felt connected to the heart chakra. So if I feel passion for my job I feel it here but if I only have drive and ambition for my job I feel taht come from my kidneys. I think thats why one can feel passionate during sex with someone you don`t have love feelings for. It is not passionate love feelings just passion.

Pure sex arousal is also more clear cut as an energy, more distinct and solid and sharp. Passion is more mysterious, soft and changing. THink about all sorts of things you can feel passionate about like your interests, a job you potetnially could love, grand experiences in nature etc. Then think about stuff you reaaly desire or want like great food and drink or the drive to achieve a certain position or win a martial arts match or aquire a material thin you really want. For me those are all more clear greedy desire feelings and more solid and distinct. I think the pure sex drive is more adrenal/risk driven and, passion more person focused.

I am not so clear on this myself but I`ll try. The pure sexual arousal is more distinctly genitally focused. It can spread out to the whole body but it clearly starts for me in the gentials and root and goes up. Passion arousal is felt immediately also in the chest area and more a whole body event all the time. I think when people feel passion for anything it is felt connected to the heart chakra. So if I feel passion for my job I feel it here but if I only have drive and ambition for my job I feel taht come from my kidneys. I think thats why one can feel passionate during sex with someone you don`t have love feelings for. It is not passionate love feelings just passion.

Pure sex arousal is also more clear cut as an energy, more distinct and solid and sharp. Passion is more mysterious, soft and changing. THink about all sorts of things you can feel passionate about like your interests, a job you potetnially could love, grand experiences in nature etc. Then think about stuff you reaaly desire or want like great food and drink or the drive to achieve a certain position or win a martial arts match or aquire a material thin you really want. For me those are all more clear greedy desire feelings and more solid and distinct. I think the pure sex drive is more adrenal/risk driven and, passion more person focused.

Ok I think I understand. Perhaps that is why earlier today when I began to feel strong sexual arousal, when I first tried to deal with it in my heart, I did not get results (for this was pure sexual desire). Yet when I worked on my kidneys (the store house of raw sexual energy) I did get results (a lessening of raw desire).

Other times I may have had a crush on someone that was not primarily sexual (though not to say it was not a component) and working on the heart did help with this type of obsession.

It also seems that when I have both my heart and kidneys in a good state of balance, that is when I am able to be very objective, non compuslive/obessive about all such matters. It would seem having both poles of this beast in harmony produces the ideal state of mind.

The reason I don't like to be sexually obsessed is the same reason I don't like to be obsessed with anything. Obsession is NOT balance, it does not feel good, and it ruins objectivity, and when wanting to meet someone to have a relationship with objectivity is one of the most valuable things you can have. It was a lack of objectivity that caused me to get married to someone who was very bad for and to me previously. Also any extreme of any emotion, regardless of what that emotion may be is not healthy, and plus it does not feel good.

So from what I gather passion is not limited to sexuality, but can be a deep seated intrest in almost anything, up to and including someone you care about. While sexual desire as you stated means that most likely you feel frisky down below and you have an "itch to scratch"?

*edit: not that I'm ready for Kan and Li, but is it a good way to transform all this "stuff" into passion?

Edited by dmattwads

Ok I think I understand. Perhaps that is why earlier today when I began to feel strong sexual arousal, when I first tried to deal with it in my heart, I did not get results (for this was pure sexual desire). Yet when I worked on my kidneys (the store house of raw sexual energy) I did get results (a lessening of raw desire).

Other times I may have had a crush on someone that was not primarily sexual (though not to say it was not a component) and working on the heart did help with this type of obsession.

It also seems that when I have both my heart and kidneys in a good state of balance, that is when I am able to be very objective, non compuslive/obessive about all such matters. It would seem having both poles of this beast in harmony produces the ideal state of mind.

The reason I don't like to be sexually obsessed is the same reason I don't like to be obsessed with anything. Obsession is NOT balance, it does not feel good, and it ruins objectivity, and when wanting to meet someone to have a relationship with objectivity is one of the most valuable things you can have. It was a lack of objectivity that caused me to get married to someone who was very bad for and to me previously. Also any extreme of any emotion, regardless of what that emotion may be is not healthy, and plus it does not feel good.

So from what I gather passion is not limited to sexuality, but can be a deep seated intrest in almost anything, up to and including someone you care about. While sexual desire as you stated means that most likely you feel frisky down below and you have an "itch to scratch"?

*edit: not that I'm ready for Kan and Li, but is it a good way to transform all this "stuff" into passion?

I am short on time now so will answer another day but you should look up stuff by Michael Winn about Kan and Li and alchemy balancing teh inner male and female aspects and leading to better realtionships wioth the oterh gender etc.

I think working on my solar plexus seems to be one of the best things I've ever done so far! People seem to be totally responding differently to me and I've only just begun working on it! It seems even people from a distance such as Facebook friends and what not seem to be responding to me differently, weird eh? Additionally I feel a whole lot better, and with out trying to. :D

I had an interesting insight (at least I think its interesting).

So far some of the key themes that have come up while I've been working on my solar plexus have been the kidneys, and the heart. The solar plexus' element is fire, the heart's element is fire, and the kidneys house the ministeral fire, and water which is responsible for keeping fire in check.

Now if you look at the body, the solar plexus would appear to lie somewhere in the middle between the heart and kidneys. Seeing that it lies mid-way between them, and it seems to somehow relate to both of them, I began to wonder if it is in the solar plexus that the kidneys and heart communicate and coordinate with eachother? Perhaps it is here that these two organs and meridian systems meet to keep eachother in balance?

I base this not only upon the information that I stated above, but also on the fact that ever since I began working on the solar plexus the I've also had to work extensively on my heart and kidneys as well, and have also gained insight into how these two organs have to work closely together to achieve a state of balance.

I was wondering if any other guys on here periodically get these spikes in their libido that are NOT cured by "releasing" in the traditional manner?

I don't, but I don't think about my libido as something I need to 'cure' like a disease. I like having my libido up, and feeling the fire.

John

I don't, but I don't think about my libido as something I need to 'cure' like a disease. I like having my libido up, and feeling the fire.

John

Well I guess if I'm going to get very specific, its not a high libido in and of itself that bothers me, but its the stupid crap that it makes me feel like doing that bothers me. Hope that makes more sense.

Well I guess if I'm going to get very specific, its not a high libido in and of itself that bothers me, but its the stupid crap that it makes me feel like doing that bothers me. Hope that makes more sense.

Totally man. And what I mean though is that it's your relationship to it, which it sounds like your starting to resolve, but that you look at it as a curse because it drives you. But that it is a 'curse' is due to your relationship to it. Like how you interact and handle it internally. the shame/judgement/ideas/etc that you have about all of it.

But you can use that energy as fuel. Especially sexually energy.

That as you resolve these things and move towards acceptance of them you might find this to be a gift.

The more specific, the more clear on how you actually see things, which is personal and subjective to you.

It's interesting to me the journey your taking, working through the chakra's and noting the body/mind interaction that is going on.

My approach has been different, specifically working with the psychology first (5/6 years), then moving to the body/energy work. And I've found the more open I am and accepting the energy/thoughts/emotions the more I can use it as fuel an the like. But that it takes both.

Like someone said from another thread, that the 3rd chakra is highly associate with your ideas/values/beliefs about your self.

But I too feel attraction at my solar plexus, and have had this mirrored by other men.

And as I've worked through these things I've had bizaroo experiences with women. (like once I got really cool with myself, they come out of the wood works to be with me and the like, similar to what I heard you say I think).

And when I hold my attention at my perineum throughout the day I'll feel a major charge and attraction through my body to a lot of women. And they notice me kind of stuff.

And while after doing Tibetan tummo, I'll feel a very distinct difference between yang and yin energy and can feel my pull towards yin women.

And I've done some research on the relationship between yin/yang - chi - and their correspondence to hormones. Generally that dht is the most yang, but still with a bit of yin otherwise it wouldn't exist and estradiol(maybe) is the most yin but with a bit of yang.

Keep it up man... I'm reading.

John

Edited by JohnC

Totally man. And what I mean though is that it's your relationship to it, which it sounds like your starting to resolve, but that you look at it as a curse because it drives you. But that it is a 'curse' is due to your relationship to it. Like how you interact and handle it internally. the shame/judgement/ideas/etc that you have about all of it.

But you can use that energy as fuel. Especially sexually energy.

That as you resolve these things and move towards acceptance of them you might find this to be a gift.

The more specific, the more clear on how you actually see things, which is personal and subjective to you.

It's interesting to me the journey your taking, working through the chakra's and noting the body/mind interaction that is going on.

My approach has been different, specifically working with the psychology first (5/6 years), then moving to the body/energy work. And I've found the more open I am and accepting the energy/thoughts/emotions the more I can use it as fuel an the like. But that it takes both.

Like someone said from another thread, that the 3rd chakra is highly associate with your ideas/values/beliefs about your self.

But I too feel attraction at my solar plexus, and have had this mirrored by other men.

And as I've worked through these things I've had bizaroo experiences with women. (like once I got really cool with myself, they come out of the wood works to be with me and the like, similar to what I heard you say I think).

And when I hold my attention at my perineum throughout the day I'll feel a major charge and attraction through my body to a lot of women. And they notice me kind of stuff.

And while after doing Tibetan tummo, I'll feel a very distinct difference between yang and yin energy and can feel my pull towards yin women.

And I've done some research on the relationship between yin/yang - chi - and their correspondence to hormones. Generally that dht is the most yang, but still with a bit of yin otherwise it wouldn't exist and estradiol(maybe) is the most yin but with a bit of yang.

Keep it up man... I'm reading.

John

Ok sounds like you understand ;). Actually very specifically related to the issues of libido and feelings about it.... I discovered more connection between the solar plexus and kidneys/adrenals today.

Ok yes working on my solar plexus has made my sex drive go up, but I think more precicsely its the solar plexus' effect upon my kidneys. Today the first of the the day at least my libido was through the roof and that was about all I could focus on, it was totally consuming. Additionally this brought up a lot of negative feelings about this, and some negative mental/emotional patterns connected to such issues as well.

After doing some more research and focusing with in as well, what I think I discovered was that the added energy to my solar plexus (among other things) is having a cleansing effect upon my kidney meridian, as I found today that a lot of my negative attitudes towards sexuality are actually to be found in my kidneys, as well as issues to the sex drive itself. As I had mentioned earlier there seems to be a definate connection between the solar plexus and kidneys (among other things) due to the common denominator of the adernals.

Fortunately yesterday I had purchased a chinese herbal combination for the kidney meridian/adrenal glands. This so far seems to be helping a lot, as well as the kidney inner smile/healing sound. As I think I have mentioned in the past, often times when I first begin to work on something it appears to actually get worse at first, as I believe this is a "healing crisis".

But in conclusion basically all that babeling I did was pretty much to say that I found a lot of my negative attitudes towards sex in my kidneys, and am currently working upon this area, for that reason. I'll keep ya'll posted. ;)

• Like 1

Rewinding a bit here...

When I said life is weird I spoke too soon lol. Ok so that girl that asked me out, leme tell you, what an experience. First of all her heart meridian was way over active, and therefore I had a hard time being near her, I felt like I was going to crawl out of my skin, even though she was drop dead gorgeous. But where it really gets weird is I noticed as we were talking she started projecting chi out of her upper dan tien/ third eye and scanning me. That made me feel really uncomfortable. I told her that I knew what she was doing, and she looked like she was in shock. She asked me how I knew that she was doing that, and she did that all the time to guys, and no one had ever realized that she was doing it. Now I'm thinking what kind of person am I on a date with lol? And even though she looked like a model, when it was time to go I could not wait to get out of there.

I doubt that she was intentionally projecting qi from her upper dantian. She probably just discovered one day that she had the ability to "sense" people (very useful for a hottie I imagine) with no idea of the underlying energetic mechanics or effects on the other person. I wonder what she would have said if you would have asked what her experience of what she was doing was, how she learned to do it, etc.?

So as I began doing the cool draw, and drawing jing up to my crown, and spinning it there as to fix it, suddenly its like I'm looking at things in a whole new way.

How had you been doing it prior to this?

--

Re 2nd chakra and libido: A model I have heard that matches my experience is that the 2nd chakra governs basic social needs (which you seem to have confirmed as well) and sensuality, like enjoying the feel of the breeze on your skin, the touch of another person, or performing graceful fluid movements. So someone might experience this as more or less connected to sex drive, depending on how they express their sexuality.

Edited by Creation

Rewinding a bit here...

I doubt that she was intentionally projecting qi from her upper dantian. She probably just discovered one day that she had the ability to "sense" people (very useful for a hottie I imagine) with no idea of the underlying energetic mechanics or effects on the other person. I wonder what she would have said if you would have asked what her experience of what she was doing was, how she learned to do it, etc.?

How had you been doing it prior to this?

--

Re 2nd chakra and libido: A model I have heard that matches my experience is that the 2nd chakra governs basic social needs (which you seem to have confirmed as well) and sensuality, like enjoying the feel of the breeze on your skin, the touch of another person, or performing graceful fluid movements. So someone might experience this as more or less connected to sex drive, depending on how they express their sexuality.

Hey Creation, your explination about that girl and her upper dan tien makes a lot of sense.

Prior to doing the crown draw, I had either been drawing it to a point lower, or going all the way up and around to the lower dan tien.

Your insight into the 2nd chakra makes a lot of sense, so I a way it might seem that many chakras play a role in sexuality, but for me the issues of the second chakra were not a problem, but rather the third chakra issues were. Yesterday my brother and I went to a sports bar to watch the Spurs play. While there I began to realize just how much the whole "status" aspect of the third chakra impacted my views on sexuality and relationships as I looked about at the pretty girls and observed my own reactions and feelings about them. I think a lot of guys, and people in general associate sexuality with status and such things. Nevertheless it just showed me that I am working on the right chakra. Also I have noticed that as I begin to work on a chakra that things I may have not noticed before, I become aware of (such as my own feelings at the sports bar). In the past I would not have realized such feelings were coming from within myself, so I guess that in and of itself is indicitive of progress.... recognizing the problem better.

I've noticed another pattern that seems to come up when I work on my solar plexus, though I'm not sure why, though I do have a theory.

I've noticed that everytime I work on my solar plexus chakra that I tend to suffer a lot of the symptoms of a shen disturbance. A lot of my symptoms are those of excessive heart fire, and/or phlegm. Now I'm not sure why this happens when I try to work on my solar plexus, but I've wondered if it could be the result of the solar plexus being of the fire element, and the heart being fire too. Does perhaps the excess fire from the solar plexus while working on it, cause issues for my heart? or is it simply the junk in the solar plexus coming out and me being more aware of it? or a combination of the two?

This happened to me last late summer/early fall, and fortunately then I found calcium made of oyster shell with bamboo in it, both of which are good for shen distrurbances. So off I go to get more of that. Anyone with a good knowledge of TCM would be appreciated as far as input goes.

Ok so I went out and got Oyster shell yesterday, along with a few other things, and am feeling a bit better today. I also have had an insight into a few things. I know some people here have been baffeled that I would complain about a strong sex drive as a problem, and now in retrospect I realize that my libido in and of itself is not a problem. What has actually been the problem has been a Shen disturbance which most commonly manifests itself in my case as hypersexuality, or almost being possesed by sex, and disturbed thinking. When one does not understand this distinction, all they think is that I feel very horney and very "not good" at the same time, and they come to associate the two as one.

How is this related to the solar plexus chakra, or any chakra? I am not sure, but what I have noticed is that when I work on the solar plexus chakra that this has a tendency to flare up, though at this point I am not really sure what the connection may be, if there be any connection at all.

For all of those out there who enjoy a healthy and normal sexual life, I can understand how someone complaining of such things would seem unusual. And I must specify that I do not always feel this way, but there are times when I do, and they are very miserable. The best way to describe it other than calling it a Shen disturbance, is its a total obsessive compulsive preocupation sex, and in addition the longer these episodes go, the more bizzare the thinking about sex becomes. This can be quite torturous, and most unpleasant. Fortunately the oyster shell helped quite a bit yesterday, and since oyster shell is a classic treatment for certain kinds of Shen issues, and since I took oyster shell and felt better, this further reinforces my notion that these sexually tortuous epsisodes are Shen disturbance. So I guess now I can clarify that I have nothing against sex, sex drive, or anything like that. What I have been complaining about all this time has actually been a Shen disturbance, and I just didn't know what it was.

Naturally when I came to this realization I wanted to understand where this disturbance originated, and though this might seem like a bit of a streach I believe it has its origins in the second world war, allow me to explain. My grandfather fought in WWII from Normandy all the way to Germany. He was in the Battle of the Bulge and used to tell me stories about what he experienced. Though the term was not used back then I believe he suffered from PTSD, as he became an abusive alcoholic, and would beat my father when he was a child, sometimes for no reason what so ever, other than he was drunk. My father in turn abused me severely when I was a child, most likely because he himself had been abused and messed up by his father when he was a child. The long term abuse of anyone can cause problems, but especially a child who is not at all prepared to deal with such things. So from the TMC side of the house I think that my grandfathers Shen got severely disturbed in WWII, he in turn messed up my father's Shen, who in turn messed up mine.

The only link I can see with the solar plexus (I've noticed this flares up when I work on the solar plexus) is the power issues associated with it. What do I believe threw off my father's Shen? the total loss of power he felt when my grandfather beat him. What threw off my Shen? the same thing. Where are feelings of power centered? the solar plexus chakra. I've noticed in general that when I work on anything, be it an organ, chakra, or what ever, that what ever issues and emotions that are associated area tend to come to the surface as I work on them. In this case the very issue that I believe has caused my Shen to have problems has been coming to the surface, and thus exasorbating this problem. On a positive note though, I've also noticed that once I get through the rough part of working on a problem area, that I do feel much better, so I look foward to finally getting through this solar plexus stuff, and hopefully feeling much better on the other side of it. :)

• Like 2

More babbeling by Matthew to follow.....

The theme of the day yesterday was Liver. Probably out of all the organs, the I'd have to say the Liver is the most closely related to the solar plexus. The Liver being the "General" is very status conscious. The Liver meridian also runs through the groin area, so I'm curious about how it relates to sex drive as well. (considering its relationship with the solar plexus, and how my sex drive seems to go up while working with the solar plexus). Also I felt kind of emotionally moody yesterday, so I drank some of that liver detox tea, and felt better pretty quickly from that... interesting. Otherwise it just seems that a lot of the characteristics associated with the solar plexus (assertiveness, power, decision making, planning, self-esteem, ect..) are also associated with the liver. I'm curious to explore this more.

*edit: found this interesting and relevant to today's topic.

http://lieske.com/channels/5e-liver.htm

Liver: Wood-energy yin organ

The liver is called the 'General' or 'Chief of Staff' and is responsible for filtering, detoxifying, nourishing, replenishing, and storing blood. The liver stores large amounts of sugar in the form of glycogen, which it releases into the blood stream as glucose whenever the body requires extra infusions of metabolic energy. The liver receives all amino acids extracted from food by the small intestine and recombines them to synthesize the various forms of protein required for growth and repair of bodily tissues.

The liver controls the peripheral nervous system, which regulates muscular activity and tension. The inability to relax is often caused by liver dysfunction or imbalance in Wood energy. Liver energy also controls ligaments and tendons, which together with muscles regulate motor activity and determine physical coordination. Liver function is reflected externally in the condition of finger- and toenails and by the eyes and vision. Blurry vision is often a result of liver malfunction rather than an eye problem, and even Western medicine recognizes the symptomatic yellow eyes of liver jaundice.

Through its association with Wood energy, the liver governs growth and development, drive and desires, ambitions and creativity. Obstruction of liver energy can cause intense feelings of frustration, rage, and anger, and these emotions in turn further disrupt liver energy and suppress liver function, in a vicious self-destructive cycle.

Liver

Paired Organ Gallbladder

Color deep green

Peak Hours 1am-3am

Physical Branches eyes, tendons, tears, nails

Functions stores the blood, governs the free flow of qi

Liver: Psycho-Emotional Aspects

The Liver is responsible for planning and creativity, as well as instantaneous solutions or sudden insights; it is therefore considered The General in Charge of Strategy. The Liver houses the body's Hun and governs fright. Its positive psycho-emotional attributes are kindness, benevolence, compassion, and generosity; its negative attributes are anger, irritability, frustration, resentment, jealousy, rage, and depression. The Liver is also called the "root of resistance to fatigue." Whenever the Liver is not functioning properly (stagnate or excessively Hot due to suppressed emotions) the patient can experience fatigue as well as physical weakness.

The Liver Channel Pathway, Acupuncture Points, and Internal Trajectories

Beginning by the inside of the big toenail, the liver channel crosses the top of the foot, passes in front of the inside ankle and up the inner aspect of the leg through SP-6 close behind the edge of the bone. It continues past the knee along the inner thigh to the groin and pubic region, where it circulates the external genitals. It connects with the conception vessel in the lower abdomen and continues up around the stomach to enter both the liver and gallbladder. Connecting with two surface points on the ribs, the channel then dips into the ribcage, runs up through the throat, opening to the eye, and ends at the crown of the head where it connects with the governing vessel. A branch circles the mouth. From within the liver, another internal branch reaches the lungs, and this restarts the cycle of qi.

Internal Trajectories of the Liver Meridian

The liver meridian rises up the medial sides of the legs from the big toes.

[it then] comes into the yin organs [sexual organs] and circles around the yin organs. Then it passes through the small abdomen; then up to and surrounding the stomach; then it permeates the liver. and spirally wraps the gallbladder. It comes up and passes through the diaphragm, up the sides of the ribs, up behind the trachea, to behind the throat. Then it rises up the cheeks, comes into the eyes, passes up the forehead and meets the du mai at the top of the head. . . . A branch separates from the liver, passes up through the diaphragm and goes to the lungs.

In this case, "the inside of the chest" is seen as the sides of the chest, around PC-1. In general, we should be aware that the inside of the chest has a wider meaning which depends on context. It can be inside the chest, CV-17, the sides of the chest, as well as some other less common referents. In coming down through the diaphragm it probably passes through the esophagus and then the stomach, before it passes to and spirally wraps the liver. After this, it permeates the gallbladder. In circling around on the inside of the lining of the ribs and the sides of the body it passes out to LV-13, and then to ST-30.

After circling around the sexual organs it passes into the small abdomen, the kidney reflex area, and an area below the umbilicus described by or including CV-2, CV-3, CV-4. Then it passes up to and surrounds the stomach, permeates the liver, and spirally wraps the gallbladder. When it passes up and out to the sides, it surfaces at LV-13 and re-enters internally at LV-14.

The trajectory that passes up to and meets the du mai (governing vessel) joins at GV-20. The branch passes up to the lungs, then comes down to the middles warmer and "surrounds CV-12". Once at CV-12, the cycle of the twelve meridians is ready to start again, as the lung meridian has its origin at CV-12. This interpretation if the meridians beginning at CV-12 and ending at CV-12 so that they make a complete circuit is one that comes from the Shisi Jing Fa Hui.

The Ling Shu contains another very different idea about the pathways of the liver meridian which also brings it back full circle to the lung meridian. This interpretation is particularly interesting in that the trajectory includes the du mai and passes up the abdomen to enter the chest at ST-21.

The liver meridian passes up to the liver. [From the liver] it passes up through to the lungs, rises up to the throat, to the nasal pharynx, to the nose. A branch splits and rises to the top of the forehead, to the top of the head. It then goes down around the spine into the sacrum-coccyx; this is the du mai. [it passes inside and] spirally wraps the yin organs. It passes up to the lining of the abdomen, enters at ST-12, passes down into the lungs and comes out at tai yin [the lung meridian].

This trajectory is paralleled in complexity only by the kidney meridian, and seems to be even more inclusive, as the du mai is seen as its branch. It is seen to spirally wrap all the yin organs. It definitely provides an alternate route by which the qi passes from the liver to the lung meridian to complete the circuit. Whichever interpretation we accept, we can see that the internal connections of the meridians play an important role in the circulation of the qi through the twelve meridians, beginning at CV-12 and ending at CV-12, or beginning and ending at the lung meridian ready to circle again.

According to the Chinese, the liver 'stores the blood' and is associated with Wood energy, which is an upward moving force. This relates very much with Western physiology, as just about all the veins of the gastrointestinal tract flow into the liver via the Hepatic Portal vein. From there the blood flows 'upwards' through the liver into the Inferior Vena Cava. Here's a schematic of the Hepatic Portal system:

Edited by dmattwads
  • Like 1

Just a few more insights into the whole solar plexus-liver-ect..

As I stated I've noticed consistently that everytime I do the "hold the ball" posture at the level of the solar plexus that my sex drive becomes extremely high. I know that the liver lies with in the energy field of the solar plexus, and that the liver meridian is the meridian that runs through the genitals. So I add energy to the solar plexus, which in turn increases the amount of energy running through the liver meridian. The liver meridian runs through the genitals which therefore adds energy to this region, and then my libido goes through the roof.

This led me to sort out the role of the kidneys in the sex drive as everything I've read states that they play a role too. Everything I've read also states that the kidneys never have an excess condition. This leads me to believe that you don't get an excess of kidney energy which leads to a high libido. Also I believe the kidneys play a different role in the sex drive than the liver. To me it seems that the kidneys are in charage of producing the fluids, and making sure everything down there works properly, while the liver is more related to the drive and desire aspect of it.

In regards to the heart/shen issues, I think I have reached an understanding of this too. The liver's wood, feeds the heart's fire. If the energy level of the liver is increased, suddenly you have more wood stoking the fire of the heart, causing "heart fire" symptoms.

As far as the liver's own attirbutes, it feels to me that a healthy liver is kind of like the notorious "alpha male".. very confident, generous, ect.. while a weak liver is the opposite of the alpha male, desperate, bitter, timid ect.. Of course these are also attributes of the solar plexus chakra as well, which shows how the liver and solar plexus are very closely related.

In regards to my practice and working on this area, all I can say is that its been quite difficult, yet pretty important. I'm using the inner smile and healing sounds for the liver to get rid of all these negative attributes like desperation, depression, non-assertiveness, and to replace them with confidence, assertiveness, and generosity.

• Like 1

Now that I have some what improved my solar plexus (emphasis on somewhat) I am beginning to notice a shift in the focus of my desire. Prior to my solar plexus work it had primarily been an emphasis on the ego related issues of the solar plexus such as status, being attractive, "getting the girl", how I felt about myself, stuff like that.

Now that this is a wee bit more balanced than it was I am now noticing a shift, just like when you finish scratching one itch, you become aware of another that had been there all along. I now am beginning to have a greater desire for the simple physical sensation. This leads me to believe that this issue is primarily a sacral chakra issue, as the sacral chakra has more to do with sensation, and pleasure. The primary reason I'd want to work on this is because now that I've worked on my solar plexus women are definately more responsive, but I do not want the strong desire for physical pleasure to cloud my better judgment about who I choose to be with (I don't want to be with someone who would be bad for me just because they put out).

Connected with the sacral chakra I believe are the kidneys, as both the sacral chakra and kidney's elements are water, both are related to sexuality, and if not in balance both can result in excessive desire for physical sensation. In regards to the kidneys if one has yin deficiency then they develop an empty heat condition that causes their kidneys to become too yang, thus causing their desire to be very strong. I want to state that I don't find anything wrong with desire in and of itself, but if it is so strong that it clouds better judgment, than this can certainly be a problem.

One thing I have learned from working with the lower chakras is that they all seem to be related to sexuality in some form, and this has shown me that sexuality is multi-layered and much more complex than I used to think.

So for now I'll beging to work on my sacral chakra and bore everyone to death with the results of that. :)

Edited by dmattwads

Ok I've been working on the sacral chakra for a few days now, and good god almighty what an adventure that has been. The solar plexus did raise my libdo, but not like this. This is insane, but I guess it makes sense too. So I guess the traditional explination of the sacral chakra hold legitimacy.

The primary organ that this chakra has brought me to focus on, was predictably the kidneys. I've been doing lots of kidney inner smile/healing sounds and this has been bringing up lots of unhealthy and negative attitudes towards sex that were in there.

Ego

That seems to be the latest shift in my chakra work. I have been working on both the sacral and solar plexus chakras at the same time, with just a shift in emphasis on one or the other. Working with the sacral chakra has seemed to help a lot with sex drive issues which has cleared things up enough for me to become aware of other issues such as ego.

Ego is to be found largely in the solar plexus. As I have been shifting emphasis back to my solar plexus as ego issues seem to have come to the forefront rather than sexuality issues.

As I work on the solar plexus ego stuff, I seem to be feeling it affecting my lungs and liver. I suppose this makes sense as the lungs have a lot to do with our self esteem, pride, or the lack thereof such as feeling sad, low self esteem ect. The self-esteem aspect of the solar plexus then is very much related to the lungs. Plus the lung meridian's internal path goes right through the solar plexus.

The liver's virtue of kindness and generosity, and emotions of anger, competitivness, and control also are very related to the other aspects of the solar plexus and ego. A healthy ego is generous, while a weak ego get angry easily at percieved injustices and slights against it. The liver's position right in the solar plexus area is easy to understand in its relation to it.

It seems that as I work more on the solar plexus I become more aware of how much ego plays a part in life, and how well it explains a lot of the stupid crap that we do.

• Like 1