Sign in to follow this  
Conwaypk

Is Karma a Taoist philosophy?

Hi John!

If there is confusion about a fact, can you describe the source of confusion?

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 1

Simple question:

Is karma a part of Taoism? Yay or Nay?

Cheers!

John

As I have been taught, in Taoism there is the Law of Universal Energy Response which simply states:

The energy vibration we hold within ourselves is reflected in our life experience.

Every thought, word, and action we make creates an energetic resonance. An immoral act stays in our energy vibration as a sort of energetic "stain" which then attracts/creates a corresponding life experience. That is the closest Taoist equivalent to Karma in my personal learning.

:D

Simple question:

Is karma a part of Taoism?

No. (A simple answer) :-)

To me, the major lesson of Taoism is humility. The universe is what it is. It doesn't revolve around us. It doesn't really care about us. It doesn't get mad at us and punish us. It's nothing personal.

There are laws of the universe, and if you disregard them, you may suffer, the way that putting your hand in a fire hurts. But the fire isn't disciplining you, it's just being fire.

• Like 1

In my understanding of Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu the answer would be "No".

However, there is the concept of 'cause and effect'. This is not to far from the concept of 'karma'.

I think a Religious Taoist (of any form) could easily include the concept in their belief system.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 2

As I have been taught, in Taoism there is the Law of Universal Energy Response which simply states:

The energy vibration we hold within ourselves is reflected in our life experience.

Every thought, word, and action we make creates an energetic resonance. An immoral act stays in our energy vibration as a sort of energetic "stain" which then attracts/creates a corresponding life experience. That is the closest Taoist equivalent to Karma in my personal learning.

:D

In my own practice this is what I've discovered. It seems that my own bad energy with in me sends out vibrations into the universe which tend to attract more of the same. As I have been going qigong and removing this bad energy I've noticed those patterns are beginning to change a bit. I guess this is what could be called karma.

I agree with Stigweard.

I believe it's a universal law of 'what you put out is what you get back'.

Sign in to follow this