Sign in to follow this  
Stigweard

The Taoist / Buddhist Debate

Just thought I would create a directory of previous discussions:

{snip}

Well, I guess that answers my question!! Does it matter which one I respond in?

Well, I guess that answers my question!! Does it matter which one I respond in?

LOL I guess not ... careful tho ... it gets lively in some of them ;)

LOL I guess not ... careful tho ... it gets lively in some of them ;)

Thanks for the warning. I picked what seems to be the most recent and vigorous, and jumped in.

From the standpoint of the Chinese Taoism, after arguing and intermixing with the Buddhism for 2,000 years, the problem is basically solved. The best part of Buddhism is absorbed into the system of Taoism, that is the reasons why you can find many sayings, methods, ideas of Buddhism in Taoist writings ; you find lot of Buddhist icons in Taoist temples..( of course, never can you find a single Taoist icon in Buddhist monasteries )

Besides, more importantly , Zen, a Tao-ized system , is established and recognized by the Buddhist cycle.

Edited by exorcist_1699

From the standpoint of the Chinese Taoism, after arguing and intermixing with the Buddhism for 2,000 years, the problem is basically solved. The best part of Buddhism is absorbed into the system of Taoism, that is the reasons why you can find many sayings, methods, ideas of Buddhism in Taoist writings ; you find lot of Buddhist icons in Taoist temples..

Besides, more importantly , Zen, a Tao-ized system , is established and recognized by the Buddhist cycle.

Hehehe. Unless you are a marbleheaded person like myself who reads only stuff that was composed before Buddhism came to China.

We gotta be careful reading some of the stuff about Taoism because a lot of it is written by Buddhists. Neat!

Why can't Buddhist theorists and Taoist practitioners speak harmoniously of each other instead of "debating metaphysics"? It is fun, sure, but everyone just rehashes the debates of centuries past.

Why can't Buddhist theorists and Taoist practitioners speak harmoniously of each other instead of "debating metaphysics"? It is fun, sure, but everyone just rehashes the debates of centuries past.

I guess because it is fun.

Besides, the root questions of the two belief systems are very different therefore the answers for the one will not apply to the other.

Perhaps it's the Daoist theorists (and Buddhist practitioners) who cause all the fuss? The sentence above makes it sound like Buddhists are the philosophers, and Daoists carry out these theories "on the ground," so to speak.

Hehehe. Unless you are a marbleheaded person like myself who reads only stuff that was composed before Buddhism came to China.

We gotta be careful reading some of the stuff about Taoism because a lot of it is written by Buddhists. Neat!

:lol: Taoist stuff written by Buddhists do not worry me . I am the believer that Taoism, Buddhism and Confucian are , at highest level , talking about the same things.It is their not so smart followers, at the stage before their reaching the highest level , quarrels among themselves on trivial matters ( of course, I am one of them, otherwise, there is nothing I have to argue here :P ).

Edited by exorcist_1699

Anyone who feels pain when injustice and discrimination is observed, practices compassion in the presence of tragedy and grief, and stands upright in aid and defense of the oppressed, the sick, and the helpless.... such a one is a true human being, regardless of philosophical, spiritual or religious inclinations.

Above all else, its where one's heart is that matters.

• Like 1

Anyone who feels pain when injustice and discrimination is observed, practices compassion in the presence of tragedy and grief, and stands upright in aid and defense of the oppressed, the sick, and the helpless.... such a one is a true human being, regardless of philosophical, spiritual or religious inclinations.

Amen!

Yes, it's the people who make different "isms" confrontational, and it's people who make different "isms" complementary.

- freedom of choice at it's best (or worst :lol:)

Sign in to follow this