Otis

Enlightenment Experiences Poll

16 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had some enlightenment experiences?

• Yes
    • No

I have witnessed, on this and other discussion boards, that occasionally someone surfaces who is flush with the excitement of their recent enlightenment. Because they view enlightenment as an attainment, rather than a process, they now think that they have arrived. Immediately, they begin teaching others whatever epiphanies have arisen, because obviously, the others on the board couldn't possibly have attained the same thing...

When I witness that, I wonder: why does this person think that no one else has had the same kind of experience? Why is the assumption that the rest of the board is full of delusional beings, but this newly enlightened one is the only one to get these truths?

Which led me to this poll. My hypothesis is that all (or almost all) of the people posting on the Bums have had some experience of satori. That we are each realized (in some fashion or another), and each awakened to (at least) some new truths.

For the sake of this poll, I will define "enlightenment experience" as an experience of incredibe internal unity, of clarity, of ease and peace, of humble greatness, that is usually accompanied with powerful epiphanies. Unless, of course, you want to add your own definition, or comments, below (please do).

• Like 2

I haven't had any enlightenment experience yet with regards to the meditation Im doing, I did however manage to make a qi ball which manifested as greater heat which got the attention of my sister when I threw it at her. I didn't meditate or anything, just charged up qi for literally 40-45 minutes while directing it. This happened when I was around 14-15. Im 20 now and Im only starting to take this practice seriously cause I am very convinced it's true. I can actually get a crushing sensation of energy which affects breathing in the heart chakra at will. But I would not personally consider that an achievement in any shape or form :D. I now it takes years to develop and master.

Edited by Cognizance

Which led me to this poll. My hypothesis is that all (or almost all) of the people posting on the Bums have had some experience of satori. That we are each realized (in some fashion or another), and each awakened to (at least) some new truths.
Actually, I doubt many people here have even experienced Kensho, much less Satori...
Kenshō (見性) (Chinese: jian xing) is a Japanese term for enlightenment experiences. It is most commonly used within the confines of Zen Buddhism.

Literally it means "seeing one's nature" or "true self." It generally "refers to the realization of nonduality of subject and object." Frequently used in juxtaposition with satori (or, "catching on"), there is sometimes a distinction made between the two in that some consider satori to be qualitatively deeper. Kenshō itself has been said to be "...a blissful realization where a person's inner nature, the originally pure mind, is directly known as an illuminating emptiness, a thusness which is dynamic and immanent in the world." Kenshō experiences are tiered, in that they escalate from initial glimpses into the nature of mind, on to an experience of emptiness, and then perhaps on to Buddhahood.

I think the number of people who have experienced nonduality - the first step of Enlightenment, is very, verrryyyy small... Edited by vortex
  • Like 1

I'm about as enlightened as a rock in a dark cave.

Wait, better rephrase that...some might argue that the rock in a dark cave is pretty enlightened. :P

No enlightenment experiences, no sense of unity or peace, no sense of clarity or ease, and certainly not any humble greatness.

Wish I could have one of those grand epiphanies. But most of what I've read seems to indicate that there's nothing one can do to induce one...you might be able to improve your chances with certain practices, but it doesn't seem like there's any guaranteed methods out there.

Maybe I'll get lucky one day. :)

• Like 1

I'm about as enlightened as a rock in a dark cave.

Wait, better rephrase that...some might argue that the rock in a dark cave is pretty enlightened. :P

No enlightenment experiences, no sense of unity or peace, no sense of clarity or ease, and certainly not any humble greatness.

Wish I could have one of those grand epiphanies. But most of what I've read seems to indicate that there's nothing one can do to induce one...you might be able to improve your chances with certain practices, but it doesn't seem like there's any guaranteed methods out there.

Maybe I'll get lucky one day. :)

I ought to add, where's the assumption that the dropping away of hithertoknown self is pleasant?

I guess if you include "terrifying" in there, then people might not be so into it?

• Like 1

I had an enlightened dog.

Besides that, realization, in one way or other, is quite ordinary, and common.

And more and more so.

h

There is definetley some process ,but maybe it is just life itself.

Dont know/not sure about enlightement.

Things do change and get better and different expiriences come and go, but yeah maybe its just life.

Just remeberd a conversation with a friend the other day as we spoke on similar subject. I said that if I had to start all over again from the begging on the path I wouldnt.Infact I wouldnt reccomend it either-it was so hard sometimes,like slowly commiting a suicide.

She laughed and said-I wouldnt reccomed it either but would tell people to try some easier road of materialisam .

Actually, I doubt many people here have even experienced Kensho, much less Satori...I think the number of people who have experienced nonduality - the first step of Enlightenment, is very, verrryyyy small...

I probably should have used the word Kensho, instead of Satori.

I disagree about the frequency of nondual experience, though. I would be surprised if most people in the world did not, at some time or another, have nondual experience. They might not call it that, they might not put it together with any tradition, but it is merely one state of human consciousness. It easily (if accidentally) happens between wake and sleep, when really tired, in "the zone", in novel situations, on substance, or even reading a book. Once out of nonduality, it is quickly forgotten, because there's no memory formed in the moment, just of the impression it left. IMO, the practitioner just has considerably more of that experience than most.

It seems to me, too, that many people who come to Taoism or Buddhism, do so because they have had some experiences, and want some context for them. That's the story I've heard many times on this and other forums.

My main thesis being: we're not special. Those of us who experience kensho (or even satori) are ordinary beings like everyone else. We experience "awakenings", in which previous myths and conceptual structures suddenly crumble into dust, but I think most people have some of that, along the path of maturation.

My awakening makes me less asleep than I was yesterday, but it doesn't mean that I'm any more awake then anyone else. To think so is to pretend I know what I cannot: the process and flow of someone else's brain. There is zero point, IMO, to thinking that I am "more enlightened" than someone else. Because when I think I'm special, better or above, I'm indulging in very unenlightened thinking.