Sign in to follow this  

the dance of shiva

hey-- I just ordered a DVD off of amazon that I found after searching 'universal tai-chi'... and I found this really cool sounding practice-- the dance of shiva.

I hope to get it soon :blink: I wish I could do next-day shipping.

It sounds like it would be incredibly embarrasing to do in public, (I think tai-chi is embarrasing in public ;) ) but very cool none-the-less... it was mentioned that whereas tai-chi concentrates on energy and developing it for martial arts purposes, the dance of shiva is more focused on developing transcendental spiritualism. (or something like that...)

anyone know anything about it??? I am very intrigued and can't wait for the DVD! is it really any good .. or just some wacko bullshit??

It has some cool chi kung in the basic movements. The more advanced stuff is cool but I think you need a really balanced brain to do it, time and a lot of effort. Effort is not taoist.

I think effort is necessary for any meditation.

the amount of effort should be proportional to the benefit

would you say it is better than qigong?

Hey I got nothing against balanced brains and effort, but I think there is better qi gongs than this. I would not say this is better than qigong, no doubt.

I think this video is over-the-top. No way perhaps 5% of the people who purchase it still use it much!

Although the scenery in the backround in real nice, the practices are a bit much, unless of course you are shiva!

oh damn.. sounds like I may be dissapointed. I will give it an earnest go. I would really like to master it.

...but not if it is as you say it is. :rolleyes:

thanks for the heads-up =)

i've studied with andrey and his students in the past... he teaches primarily in the yoga tradition, not taoist.

the practice has some very powerful effects, but as with anything like this, you must be dedicated to progressing... i would say the essence of it really only comes out once you get into levels 3 and 4... he only touches on level 3 in this DVD, it's mostly a description of 1 and 2... the practice is basically about accelerating integration and articulation between inner and outer space, mind and body. it is very helpful in improving cognitive organization - great for memory, focus, learning... it seems to stimulate energy-centers related to thought/language/patterns...

Sign in to follow this