relaxer

REBOUNDING

Hi Everyone.

I've been looking into rebounding as an addition to my practice after running into it here and there on some past threads. I've done a little digging online and people seem to really believe in it's potential to give some real benefits.

If you have experience with it, could you explain how you think it did or didn't benefit you?

If used along with a standing practice, is there a potential risk of negating standing's benefits by "dispersing" chi? I haven't heard anything of the like, but I thought I'd ask.

Are there any downsides to the practice in how it might relate to other qigong/tai chi practices?

Thanks for taking the time!

ben

Great questions. I am also curious about this type of training.

Yeah Mr. Lazy Cloud. I'm curious too... Particularly because so many people seem so adamant about its health changing benefits. I get a bit skeptical though, because I haven't read anything articulate enough to back the claims. The old "silver bullet" alarm is going off.

That said, it seems to make a lot of sense. Many of us are sedentary in ways that the human organism was never meant to be. Rebounding might simulate healthy body movement and resistance without chewing up ligaments and joints. I'm really close to just getting a lil' tramp and bouncing with her for a while.

ben

Anybody? Makah' da bouncy bouncy n likey likey??

Nobody likah' da bouncy bouncy?

You likah' da juice?? ehhhhhh He likah' da juuuuuuuuiice.

(Sorry to bring this to the top again, as it's not as interesting as debating whether or not someone should or shouldn't enlarge their spear...hehe Still curious though...)

ben

Ya Mu says he uses them and even is a distributor for the best brand. Maybe he could weigh in???

I love rebounding. It is part of my everyday training. I have been using them for somewhere around 25 years and have always talked about them to my clients in clinic. I have seen amazing results with others utilizing rebounders.

Are you familiar with the Nasa study which was done a long time ago? The studies determined an efficiency rate far higher than running. Lots of talk out there (which I agree with) about rebounding stimulating the immune system.

I do sell the Needak, which is the only USA made soft-bounce surface rebounder. Costs more than the Asian ones. I went through 12 or more of the Asian ones before I purchased a Needak at retail. I was so impressed that I bought the company(ha ha - joke) became a dealer for them. All Needak dealers have to sell at the exact same minimum price.

See my blog post here

Edited by Ya Mu

Can you get the same benefits from skipping rope?

8)

Some of the same benefits but not all. There is a whole lot to be said for that soft-bounce surface; much easier on the body joints.

Ya Mu, what do you recommend for a work out with a rebounder? Anything special for a routine?

Yikes - I answer last night hit enter and walked away from the computer but it didn't post.

An Internal, External & Energetics Program for Health & Awareness

This is a blog post I wrote that covers this.

Basically, if one does 20 minutes twice a day of simple "health bounce", referring to just clearing the surface and not a large high jump, they should be able to self-observe the benefit. As with any exercise one needs to observe the proper cautions and contact their physician for guidance as to whether this exercise is appropriate for them. As with any exercise one should start slowly and build up to more time, in some instances this may be a minute or less initially. They also have a stabilization bar for those that need it.

This page has a lot of interesting information about rebounding and rebounders:

Symbiotic Exercising

I don't think I would order directly from this site though; if you Google, there are some reports of customer service issues.

A quick note to anyone considering purchasing a Needak brand rebounder.

AS a dealer for Needak I can tell you absolutely that Needak has a minimum price that they allow their dealers to sell the rebounder. Shipping charges are also standardized (per country).

So if anyone finds a price that is below what everyone else is selling or if a dealer promises "extras" be aware that there are a lot of scammers on the internet. Instead of searching for the "best price" just choose a dealer that is selling at this minimum price (I sell at the minimum price) then contact Needak to verify if they are really dealers for the product. All orders are shipped directly form the factory. Some people just want your CC info.

A quick note to anyone considering purchasing a Needak brand rebounder.

AS a dealer for Needak I can tell you absolutely that Needak has a minimum price that they allow their dealers to sell the rebounder. Shipping charges are also standardized (per country).

So if anyone finds a price that is below what everyone else is selling or if a dealer promises "extras" be aware that there are a lot of scammers on the internet. Instead of searching for the "best price" just choose a dealer that is selling at this minimum price (I sell at the minimum price) then contact Needak to verify if they are really dealers for the product. All orders are shipped directly form the factory. Some people just want your CC info.

The European equivalent would be called Trimilin I suppose, made in Germany.

:) I've been meaning to get one too.

Stop meaning and get bouncing! :D

I bought the only model in the nearby town which was a cheapo, but I'm already considering investing in a high quality instrument.

edit: typo

Edited by King Kabalabhati

Could one combine BOUNCING and SHAKING? :blink: Just bounce without leaving the surface of the rebounder and shake at the same time...Might be awesome!

One can do real neigong along with the rebounding. Just takes a bit of getting used to it. I do all the time.

Yikes - I answer last night hit enter and walked away from the computer but it didn't post.

An Internal, External & Energetics Program for Health & Awareness

This is a blog post I wrote that covers this.

Basically, if one does 20 minutes twice a day of simple "health bounce", referring to just clearing the surface and not a large high jump, they should be able to self-observe the benefit. As with any exercise one needs to observe the proper cautions and contact their physician for guidance as to whether this exercise is appropriate for them. As with any exercise one should start slowly and build up to more time, in some instances this may be a minute or less initially. They also have a stabilization bar for those that need it.

Thank you, Ya Mu, for all the good information.

If I might ask another couple questions: Would you recommend the non-folding Needak over folding model? My intuition tells me the folding model might be a little weaker in the longer run. Currently, I'm a starving artist, so I don't have a lot of money to throw around. I'd like to get it right the first time.

Also, at what point, sequentially, in the practice should rebounding be added. My current practice consists of zhan zhuang and the taichi long form. Would rebounding after a standing and taichi practice dissipate the energetic benefits?

Thank you for your time!

ben

Thank you, Ya Mu, for all the good information.

If I might ask another couple questions: Would you recommend the non-folding Needak over folding model? My intuition tells me the folding model might be a little weaker in the longer run. Currently, I'm a starving artist, so I don't have a lot of money to throw around. I'd like to get it right the first time.

Also, at what point, sequentially, in the practice should rebounding be added. My current practice consists of zhan zhuang and the taichi long form. Would rebounding after a standing and taichi practice dissipate the energetic benefits?

Thank you for your time!

ben

I like the folding one best - comes with carrying case and I can take with me to classes. Don't know if one would be more sturdy than the other. Mine is plenty well built.

What ever you feel best doing. Try both ways. I don't think it would dissipate the energetic benefits. I do both.

I notice a "detox"-like effect coming from about 20 minutes of rebounding. While I bounce it feels very good, then soon after I quit I start feeling a bit "weak" and irritable. This is similar to the feeling I get from fasting but only lasts for maybe half an hour. The heat and tingling in the skin and heart area could indicate the stimulated lymph flow that I've read is associated with rebounding.

Really stupid question here: For an old lady like myself (still in good shape though), wouldn't the constant gravity bump tend to pull the facial and boob muscles down even further than they already are? And what of the cellulite, lol? :blink:

Really stupid question here: For an old lady like myself (still in good shape though), wouldn't the constant gravity bump tend to pull the facial and boob muscles down even further than they already are? And what of the cellulite, lol? :blink:

Boob muscles? I think you mean ligaments, and yes, you should wear a sports bra. The face should be alright with rebounding.

I notice a "detox"-like effect coming from about 20 minutes of rebounding. While I bounce it feels very good, then soon after I quit I start feeling a bit "weak" and irritable. This is similar to the feeling I get from fasting but only lasts for maybe half an hour.

Rebounding moves lymph dramatically, which is why you can feel bad for awhile after you quit. Increasing lymphatic clearance dumps toxins into the blood stream which can overload a sluggish liver. The first time I rebounded 20 years ago, I felt significantly bad after only a couple minutes. If you're lymphatically challenged, you have to limit bounce time in the beginning, increasing the time gradually. After rebounding a couple weeks I could go on indefinitely, no problem.

Combining raw juice fasting, rebounding, and dry skin brushing changed my body faster than anything I've ever done. The reduction in body volume due to jettisoning toxins was amazing, and continued even after I stopped juicing.

I asked Michael Winn once what he thought of rebounding from the chi perspective, and he said it was a good enough exercise, just no grounding. But for getting stronger and leaner, and building bone, it's hard to beat.