DanC

The Universal Form

I was recommended this form by a poster on another forum, its a short Chi Kung set devised by

a master in Shaolin Kung Fu and Zen Buddhism named Master Tan from NYC, the set can be either performed

to energize the body and strengthen the muscles or performed for peace in a more tranquil Tai Chi style, it

takes only 3 minutes. I purchased the DVD for $5 off Amazon and got the book for $11, Im going to give it the

100 day gong trial to see what I feel like at the end.

http://www.tandao.com/main.html

Click on universal form.

DanC

Edited by DanC
  • Like 1

GT, I have the book but I am still waiting on the DVD, he doesnt go into alot of details on Chi culitvation, he states that it can be adapted to be a very powerful Chi Kung, you can also do it with no tension superslow as a Tai Chi form, does the DVD mention using it for Longevity as a form of Chi Kung?? I might email him for an a bit more info..

DAn

I dont think it mentions specificaly. Althought, it is a very balanced form and thorough--not a whole lot to it. This is something I do not practice much at all, but its components are very universal--pushing the chi out.

On 6/21/2006 at 6:33 PM, DanC said:

I was recommended this form by a poster on another forum, its a short Chi Kung set devised by

a master in Shaolin Kung Fu and Zen Buddhism named Master Tan from NYC, the set can be either performed

to energize the body and strengthen the muscles or performed for peace in a more tranquil Tai Chi style, it

takes only 3 minutes. I purchased the DVD for $5 off Amazon and got the book for $11, Im going to give it the

100 day gong trial to see what I feel like at the end.

http://www.tandao.com/main.html

Click on universal form.

DanC

How awesome to see this after all this time!

I studied with Master Tan and Master Huang in NYC from 97-2000.

Universal Form was an apt name for this form.  It was a major part of my path back then and has continued to be a regular presence in my energy work and play.  Playing Universal Form, is akin to a constant unfoldingness in presence.

I recommend it highly.  Short, simple.  Raw, and potent.  but perhaps most impressive is its adaptability to play one form with many techniques of moving.

Saw Richard just last Summer, he was out for vacation and we hung out for a bit.

He hasn't aged a day in over two decades...

Master Tan went off grid some time ago and so far, none have heard a peep from him.

Wish him contentment and awakening, wherever he may be now.

Deep gratitude for his taking time to share insights and techniques all those years ago.

The seeds planted, continue to bear fruit...

• Like 2

On 24/10/2019 at 2:40 PM, silent thunder said:

How awesome to see this after all this time!

I studied with Master Tan and Master Huang in NYC from 97-2000.

Universal Form was an apt name for this form.  It was a major part of my path back then and has continued to be a regular presence in my energy work and play.  Playing Universal Form, is akin to a constant unfoldingness in presence.

I recommend it highly.  Short, simple.  Raw, and potent.  but perhaps most impressive is its adaptability to play one form with many techniques of moving.

Saw Richard just last Summer, he was out for vacation and we hung out for a bit.

He hasn't aged a day in over two decades...

Master Tan went off grid some time ago and so far, none have heard a peep from him.

Wish him contentment and awakening, wherever he may be now.

Deep gratitude for his taking time to share insights and techniques all those years ago.

The seeds planted, continue to bear fruit...

I just logged in yesterday after a while away and seen this reply, can't believe I made this post 13 years ago, time flys.. 

This has peaked my interest in the universal form again, would love to hear more about the benefits you received from practicing this set.. In the book he just calls it a form of exercise but doesn't refer to it as a qigong, he does state it can be applied as qigong but that is beyond the scope of that book. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DanC said:

I just logged in yesterday after a while away and seen this reply, can't believe I made this post 13 years ago, time flys.. 

This has peaked my interest in the universal form again, would love to hear more about the benefits you received from practicing this set.. In the book he just calls it a form of exercise but doesn't refer to it as a qigong, he does state it can be applied as qigong but that is beyond the scope of that book. 

Cheers mate!  It's been about twenty years now since I studied with Master Tan and Huang.  Still one of the hardest things about leaving NYC was losing those two teachers.

I saw Richard about a year and a half ago.  He came out to Cali for a visit.  He hasn't aged a day.  Bagua for life!

Master Tan taught us several variations of Universal Form, but never in my recollection did he refer to it obliquely as Qi Gong.  Though the name derived as it was so adaptable to hard, soft, electric, breath driven styles.  Looking back I see clearly how Masters Tan and Huang never really taught 'explicitly' as many Western teachers do... As in "Today we will learn Qi Gong and it will bring these benefits. (followed by lecture), or swing your arms this way, this will open the kua and bring speed and power to your hand strikes"  They would direct us through the process oif praxis and correct posture and form and leave the rest to us to explore, encounter (or not) the various applications and potentials.

I used the soft form version extensively as I recovered after shattering a section of my left collar bone in a bicycle accident.  Orthopoedic surgeon told me that I'd never recover fully, would lose 40-50% mobility and strength, likely never being able to lift my elbow above my shoulder again.  I said "ha! Watch me!"  and promptly went to Richard for advice.

Richard sent me to Grace Ho, a Chinese Herbalist who operated a clinic off of Mott Street.  After diagnosis, she prepared a collection of herbs, tree bark and various other items to boil for hours and drink the solution.  I did this for six weeks, three times a week.  This stimulated bone growth and combined with the steady, soft, breath driven universal form, I returned to the surgeon 12 weeks later, fully healed and strong. 

He was flabbergasted and could not hide his shock.  Though he discredited Grace and the Qi Gong as placebo, I did not.  My collar bone fuzed back together, though it's now shorter and in the shape of a lightning bolt.  Which I lovingly attribute to the passing dangers of bringing the notice of Thor upon one's self. :P

Still recall those days training with Richard and Larry, Rex, David and the others with golden light.  What a gift those years were!

Edited by silent thunder
fixed a non-sensical sentence
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Cheers mate!  It's been about twenty years now since I studied with Master Tan and Huang.  Still one of the hardest things about leaving NYC was losing those two teachers.

I saw Richard about a year and a half ago.  He came out to Cali for a visit.  He hasn't aged a day.  Bagua for life!

Master Tan taught us several variations of Universal Form, but never in my recollection did he refer to it obliquely as Qi Gong.  Though the name derived as it was so adaptable to hard, soft, electric, breath driven styles.  Looking back I see clearly how Masters Tan and Huang never really taught 'explicitly' as many Western teachers do... As in "Today we will learn Qi Gong and it will bring these benefits. (followed by lecture), or swing your arms this way, this will open the kua and bring speed and power to your hand strikes"  They would direct us through the process oif praxis and correct posture and form and leave the rest to us to explore, encounter (or not) the various applications and potentials.

I used the soft form version extensively as I recovered after shattering a section of my left collar bone in a bicycle accident.  Orthopoedic surgeon told me that I'd never recover fully, would lose 40-50% mobility and strength, likely never being able to lift my elbow above my shoulder again.  I said "ha! Watch me!"  and promptly went to Richard for advice.

Richard sent me to Grace Ho, a Chinese Herbalist who operated a clinic off of Mott Street.  After diagnosis, she prepared a collection of herbs, tree bark and various other items to boil for hours and drink the solution.  I did this for six weeks, three times a week.  This stimulated bone growth and combined with the steady, soft, breath driven universal form, I returned to the surgeon 12 weeks later, fully healed and strong. 

He was flabbergasted and could not hide his shock.  Though he discredited Grace and the Qi Gong as placebo, I did not.  My collar bone fuzed back together, though it's now shorter and in the shape of a lightning bolt.  Which I lovingly attribute to the passing dangers of bringing the notice of Thor upon one's self. :P

Still recall those days training with Richard and Larry, Rex, David and the others with golden light.  What a gift those years were!

Amazing thanks for taking the time to reply in detail. I'll break the dvd out again and start playing around with it.. Cheers 

• Like 1