Sign in to follow this  
Listener

Communes

www.ic.org is THE website for the worldwide list of intentional communities, at least those who choose to be listed.

Creaing a Life Together by Diane Leafe Christian has becomne one of the bibles of the movement.

Work as hard as you can to turn your natual gifts into skills that a community would want to have and your chances for a meaningful life in community go up dramatically. Virtually every established community will expect a financial commitment of some kind. Good luck.

Have you considered ordination? Best way of advancing in the spiritual path and a great way of complete healing.

• Like 1

Try look up coomunities on the net and see what suits you a lot of them will accept you as a guest or a memeber.What kind of communities are you interested in and where in the world?There is so many kinds..

And as Rainbow Vein said what are your ideas/ideals about communities?

All I can say is thet people are people everywhere.

It can be a lot of fun ,and it could be a pain in the a^^.In my expirience.

Beware of community fundamentalists.

I feel like sometimes its the only way to be for me... a buddhist monk. But you need to save up lots of money to be self sufficient for quite some time because they dont recommend normal jobs...

Isn't the traditional way to be a mendicant?

or an involuntary celibate who has no place on this Earth because people can be so cruel that he (especially a he) has to find something to do with his damn life in a community where celibacy is accept if not required.

Edited by Non

I just want to find a place where I feel I belong. I've never had that at school, at church, or at any jobs I've had. I don't know if a commune is right for me, it's just something I've considered.

I need to do something, move on with my life. But I cannot function in a corporate work environment. That's just out of the question. In any case the economic system is coming apart and trying to go up the career ladder now is an exercise in futility.

I've thought a bit about going to a monastery but not specifically about ordination. I really don't know much about that.

I just want to find a place where I feel I belong. I've never had that at school, at church, or at any jobs I've had. I don't know if a commune is right for me, it's just something I've considered.

I need to do something, move on with my life. But I cannot function in a corporate work environment. That's just out of the question. In any case the economic system is coming apart and trying to go up the career ladder now is an exercise in futility.

I've thought a bit about going to a monastery but not specifically about ordination. I really don't know much about that.

IMO the Question? Asked by Rainbow_Vein and suninmyeyes needs to be answered before you proceed further.

I hope you'll forgive me if I come off as pushy. It's not my intention; I'm deadly serious about this subject and genuinely intersted in how you plan to resolve this, because it's a question we're all going to have to wrestle with. And let's face it, some will be proactive with their response, and some will simply become a victim of circumstance and die, not exactly a path of Taoist fortitude.

So, on with the "obvious" questions. You look like you have almost as much grey hair as I do, but you claim that you've never fit in anywhere. Is there something you're not telling us? That's a long time to go without finding a way to belong, unless you're prematurely grey!

People go on and on about needing to feel part of a community. It's something they long for, they say, when in fact many of them I've known are only looking to rob other people of their time and resources. I'm not suggesting this is you, but I refer back to my earlier point. If you really want community then you have to cultivate yourself into a resourceful and talented person with valuable skill sets that other community-minded people will want to have around. If your idea of community is be free of any and all demands made on your time, you should consider a monastery, if you think you could cut the entrance requirements. Your only other option is to be financially independent.

A lot of college grads are going back to farms and ranches. Life can be much worse. Since the most important industry of the future will be small-scale food production, you might narrow your skill set there.

Sorry. This is just the stuff I've studied and thought about for years.

I think I might need to change my avatar. On this and several other forums people have assumed it was me. I'm 28 and my hair is not gray.

Yes, I have a lot of internal issues to work on. I know that. I'm starting to. But I know the inner and outer worlds go together, they influence one another. I don't expect all my problems to be solved by moving to a new place, or by having a relationship, but I believe they would help me.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for here. Understanding perhaps. Advice from someone who has gone through something similar. I just felt the need to write out my frustration and this seemed like the place to do it.

I live in the US and I have tremendous sense of dread about what is coming. I've spent a lot of time reading and studying this, and have a good understanding of the situation, and now it's time for me to act. From what I see the situation will be so bad I don't know if it's wise to even stay here.

I mean by a place I belong a place I believe in and support. American society on the whole is not that place. It's bad and getting worse. I want to contribute, to help build something, to make a difference, but I can't commit to something if I don't believe in it.

I know I'm probably asking too much. Only I can find my own path. I'm just plagued by self doubt and fear, which is something I have to work on.

Sign in to follow this