paulno

Diet for enlightenment?

How many of you have diets that play a part in your inner peace or path to enlightenment? I'm sort of wondering when, if and how I should fit this in.

How many of you have diets that play a part in your inner peace or path to enlightenment? I'm sort of wondering when, if and how I should fit this in.

for one I think a CR (Calorie REstricted) diet would help.

The CHinese also believe in eating until ur belly is 70 percent full rather than 100 percent. Japanese have the 80% rule (from what I've heard).

CR diets cut calorie intake by as much as 20-30 percent so that goes along with it.

http://www.crsociety.org/

It increases lifespan and immunity, as well as overall strength. IT does that by activating certain genes involved in the process.

The point though is probably also to get all or more than enough micronutrients and cut back on macronutrients. The most micronutrient dense foods are the vegetables, and specifically the leafy greens, the darker the better. They also have the least calories but in relation to weight, or calories Im not sure, are protein dense. Also very rich in chlorophyll.

Fermented food is also good to incorporate.

Conscious Eating is a good book by Gabriel Cousens. So is Hippocrates LifeForce

Edited by Non
  • Like 1

for one I think a CR (Calorie REstricted) diet would help.

The CHinese also believe in eating until ur belly is 70 percent full rather than 100 percent. Japanese have the 80% rule (from what I've heard).

CR diets cut calorie intake by as much as 20-30 percent so that goes along with it.

http://www.crsociety.org/

It increases lifespan and immunity, as well as overall strength. IT does that by activating certain genes involved in the process.

The point though is probably also to get all or more than enough micronutrients and cut back on macronutrients. The most micronutrient dense foods are the vegetables, and specifically the leafy greens, the darker the better. They also have the least calories but in relation to weight, or calories Im not sure, are protein dense. Also very rich in chlorophyll.

Fermented food is also good to incorporate.

Conscious Eating is a good book by Gabriel Cousens. So is Hippocrates LifeForce

Oh, yeah Non I've actually read up a bit on that. I'm a little hesitant though because I heard it has some side effects like loss of sex drive. Which for a middle aged guy can be a risk in itself already.

Instead of scrutinizing what one eats, which can be taken to extremes sometimes, why not incorporate an attitude of learning how to eat with gratefulness, and also, with a mindfulness around wasting food?

Being in the restaurant/food business, i get opportunities to observe the whys and hows of eating habits and attitudes, and i'm both amazed and saddened to see how people take eating for granted, and also, how much wastage of good food there is. No wonder the world is out of balance, and erupting in all manner of ill... The Haves have no understanding of value and virtues of having, and the Have-nots, more often than not, are trying so hard to emulate the Haves, mistakenly perceiving that if they somehow make it into that elite band, then life will become more fulfilling... how silly. And this, btw, does not only apply to the materialistic-ism side of things - a similar sort of silliness is quite rampant in the spiritualistic-ism side of things as well.

When hungry, there is grasping - when full, aversion arises. To cultivate an equanimous and graceful disposition, where graspings/aversions do not overtake one's being, try adopting a grateful poise each meal time. Then what is eaten not only benefits the body - simultaneously, mind and spirit becomes filled with nourishment as well.

Diet may be vital, but even more vital, i believe, is to adopt an attitude of thankfulness for each and every thing we sensibly consume, be it into the belly, or into the mind.

Edited by CowTao
  • Like 2

Oh, yeah Non I've actually read up a bit on that. I'm a little hesitant though because I heard it has some side effects like loss of sex drive. Which for a middle aged guy can be a risk in itself already.

And what makes you think a "Drive" to have sex is healthy? I'll tell you straight up, I've lost my "drive", but my "performance" didn't go down one bit (quite the opposite ;) ). I'm going to throw you a theory I have on sex drive, just consider it.

There's two kinds of "sex drive" there's the urge to ejaculate and the urge to have sex with a woman.

1.The urge to ejaculate: I believe this is an indication of inward toxicity. When there's waste in our body, whether it be urine or feces or phlegm, our body creates a physical "urge" to release it. We may cough, get the urge to urinate or defecate, etc. When we're sick we may get diarrhea and sneeze and spit) Now the makeup of male ejaculate varies but there are a couple of key ingredients that most all ejaculate shares. Those are proteins, zinc, genetic material, fructose, and hormones. Now if the body has a physical urge to release ejaculate then it must be in excess in the body. OR they're simply in an unusable form to the body thus it is considered "waste". Many of our foods nowadays contain INORGANIC minerals. These cannot be used by the body (but it'll still absorb around 10% which usually gets stored somewhere). Inorganic minerals are absorbed by plants through the soil and the plants turn them into organic minerals that are then usable by the body. They also turn carbon dioxide into oxygen and contain chlorophyll, nature's most potent detoxifier, let us thank the plant kingdom for providing so much for us despite our lack of appreciation, THANK YOU PLANTS! Anyway, same goes with proteins, there are some proteins (namely animal proteins after being cooked) that cannot be broken down an absorbed, they've become denatured and are toxic to the body. If you've ever read the China study it'll show you how animal proteins (it didn't differentiate between cooked and raw which has to be done, ie coagulation via heat) increase tumor growth and how plant proteins do not. Lastly genetic material and hormones. We all know that toxins damage our genetic material so it's not unlikely that we have such. With hormones, many of us have imbalances. Due to plasticides and estrogenic compounds in our food (not to mention general toxicity) we now have more estrogen in our system which is causing an imbalance. Normally the body will natural up the testosterone to balance it but if the raw materials are not there or if your body begins to make too much then there are excess hormones that have to be gotten rid of. Lastly fructose. Now when you say fructose immediately everyone think "fruit" however fruit has one of the LOWEST fructose concentrations of the foods we eat. The highest include but are not limited to... High fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, "sugar", sucralose (50% fructose, 50% glucose), crystalline fructose, etc. Look at the labels of the food and drink you put into your bodies. Look at all the inorganic minerals( like zinc), fructose, cooked animal proteins, etc. It is my belief that the body uses ejaculate as the main "solvent" to eliminate these toxic substances and thats why we find what we do in ejaculate.

2. The urge to have sex with a woman. Now this could simply be an expression of love and/or playfulness, it could be for egoic reasons (like pride or power), there's many reasons people have sex. However here's one you probably haven't heard and may make some sense. If it doesn't then please disregard it.

I would pose that the mental urge for sex, free of social conditioning of course (which is a whole nother issue), is caused by the "urge" to procreate. Now why would we have the urge to procreate? Well obviously it's to continue on our species right? But why does it only appear around certain ages? And why is it present in some but not all?

I pose that the urge to procreate is only active when the body perceives it's own destruction as imminent or a potential threat. I believe that if the body feels it's in danger of dying or ceasing to function then sex drive will increase. Due to our diet and general toxicity (not to mention the damage being done to our reproductive system), it's no wonder people are having these huge urges for sex. Calorie restriction increases lifespan by quite a bit and it also lowers sex drive. Raw food diets have cured degenerative diseases and they lower sex drive, fasting is known as nature's great "equalizer" against disease and it reduces sex drive. What INCREASES sex dive? well cooked animal proteins, high sugar foods (especially fructose), chocolate, zinc (of course in inorganic pill form), etc...hmm the same things that the body would want to eliminate through ejaculate. I also think that if one's life or reproductive system are at risk then the "unconscious" sex drive will increase as well so as to procreate before it too late.

That's my theory. I think the desire for sex as a loving or playful act is healthy. I think having physical drives due to toxicity or unconscious drives due to a risk to health is unhealthy. It is said by raw foods pioneer and Essene Monk Viktorus Kulvinskas that eventually when your body detoxifies and restores balance then ejaculation becomes unnecessary and multiple orgasms become a natural and regular occurrence. I have yet to back this up with experience however i am exploring this claim and perhaps it would be motivation for others to try exploring it as well.

-Astral

Edited by Astral_Anima

Instead of scrutinizing what one eats, which can be taken to extremes sometimes, why not incorporate an attitude of learning how to eat with gratefulness, and also, with a mindfulness around wasting food?

Being in the restaurant/food business, i get opportunities to observe the whys and hows of eating habits and attitudes, and i'm both amazed and saddened to see how people take eating for granted, and also, how much wastage of good food there is. No wonder the world is out of balance, and erupting in all manner of ill... The Haves have no understanding of value and virtues of having, and the Have-nots, more often than not, are trying so hard to emulate the Haves, mistakenly perceiving that if they somehow make it into that elite band, then life will become more fulfilling... how silly. And this, btw, does not only apply to the materialistic-ism side of things - a similar sort of silliness is quite rampant in the spiritualistic-ism side of things as well.

When hungry, there is grasping - when full, aversion arises. To cultivate an equanimous and graceful disposition, where graspings/aversions do not overtake one's being, try adopting a grateful poise each meal time. Then what is eaten not only benefits the body - simultaneously, mind and spirit becomes filled with nourishment as well.

Diet may be vital, but even more vital, i believe, is to adopt an attitude of thankfulness for each and every thing we sensibly consume, be it into the belly, or into the mind.

we cannot realy be thankful for the poisons people have to consume for no reason beacuse we are uncsoncious about what we eat, which makes us unable to produce and feel the hormones that are necessary to even feel thankfuls.

thanks.

You still do get enough nutrients, all of which are necesssary to produce ejaculate and the hormones necessary for sex drive. Nothing is deficient except for disease in a CR diet.

I am pondering on the question for the right diet for quite some time now myself. I tried raw food several years ago but I had a problem with being to sensitive, not being grounded at that time (not doing any body technics back then), so I gave it up. I remained vegetarian. I tried vegan, but felt a need for fish protein and goats milk and some more social compatiblity. I am driving back to vegan again now. I make sure to get a lot of green stuff and adding spirulina powder and other natural supplements to my foods.

Fish contributes to my hornyness and makes me feel quite "raw" in my mind... Rudolf Steiner states that by eating fish one takes in Kama. There is lots of interesting hints about nutrition by that guy, mostly / originally in German. Diary products are attributed to the Moon and might help to stabilise form, but if they're pasteurized it's difficult to absorb them.

I read about two lines of Taoists, the older one promoting a diet without cereals (I read about the worms and demons:-), the more modern one prefering cereal-based (vegetarian) meals. I guess the first ones were putting emphasis on protein intake which is fuel for the libido fire? I bought a book from a self-appointed rosicrucian Raymond Bernard called "diet and sex control", written in the late 60ies if I remember right. He collected a lot of material supporting a carbohydrate-based / protein-poor diet, but I worry that he is not only against waste of lifeforce in orgasms but subconciously has some resistance to revere the sexual nature of creation and the work and processes leading to enlightment. There is another diet-related book of his, "methods of blood regeneration" which is more appealing to me.

Eating cereals actually makes me feel constipated for quite a time. I experimented with some synthetic amino acids and other stuff like Methionin, L-Lysine, L-Artnithine, L-Ornithine, Tryptophan that might be essential for the activation of the pineal gland and for other important parts of the brain. I then was warned by a naturopath that they are plastic and will lead to a hardening of tissues. I don't trust him, but don't feel 100% sure about the supplements. However the intake of pure amino acids felt also rather pure in conciousness at that time. Protein-concetrated diet is considered a root evil by many naturopaths.

I largely obey the principles of food combining, i.e. eating carbohydrates and proteins at different times. And I eat kosher in so far as I don't mix diary products with fish (if I eat them at all). I realized it's beneficial to stop drinking some time before eating and wait for about two hours after it, so that digestion can take place without diluting the gastric juices.

When I was in my early twenties I fasted sometimes, finding it very hard. I didn't do so for a long time, also because I am rather underweight. However I think of giving it a try again. I also heard that one can actually stabilize (increase) the body weight by omitting food every once in a while.

I would love to hear more thoughts about the protein versus carbohydrate-oriented diet by some of the more experienced practitioners here.

@the garlic lovers: I've read that garlic is (was) forbidden for the yogis / brahmans in India and the aspirants in old Egypt because it was said to de-magnetize the auric field or something. And onions would lead to dull think. Is this only myths?

we cannot realy be thankful for the poisons people have to consume for no reason beacuse we are uncsoncious about what we eat, which makes us unable to produce and feel the hormones that are necessary to even feel thankfuls.

thanks.

took the words right from my mouth :lol:

I am pondering on the question for the right diet for quite some time now myself. I tried raw food several years ago but I had a problem with being to sensitive, not being grounded at that time (not doing any body technics back then), so I gave it up. I remained vegetarian. I tried vegan, but felt a need for fish protein and goats milk and some more social compatiblity. I am driving back to vegan again now. I make sure to get a lot of green stuff and adding spirulina powder and other natural supplements to my foods.

Fish contributes to my hornyness and makes me feel quite "raw" in my mind... Rudolf Steiner states that by eating fish one takes in Kama. There is lots of interesting hints about nutrition by that guy, mostly / originally in German. Diary products are attributed to the Moon and might help to stabilise form, but if they're pasteurized it's difficult to absorb them.

I read about two lines of Taoists, the older one promoting a diet without cereals (I read about the worms and demons:-), the more modern one prefering cereal-based (vegetarian) meals. I guess the first ones were putting emphasis on protein intake which is fuel for the libido fire? I bought a book from a self-appointed rosicrucian Raymond Bernard called "diet and sex control", written in the late 60ies if I remember right. He collected a lot of material supporting a carbohydrate-based / protein-poor diet, but I worry that he is not only against waste of lifeforce in orgasms but subconciously has some resistance to revere the sexual nature of creation and the work and processes leading to enlightment. There is another diet-related book of his, "methods of blood regeneration" which is more appealing to me.

Eating cereals actually makes me feel constipated for quite a time. I experimented with some synthetic amino acids and other stuff like Methionin, L-Lysine, L-Artnithine, L-Ornithine, Tryptophan that might be essential for the activation of the pineal gland and for other important parts of the brain. I then was warned by a naturopath that they are plastic and will lead to a hardening of tissues. I don't trust him, but don't feel 100% sure about the supplements. However the intake of pure amino acids felt also rather pure in conciousness at that time. Protein-concetrated diet is considered a root evil by many naturopaths.

I largely obey the principles of food combining, i.e. eating carbohydrates and proteins at different times. And I eat kosher in so far as I don't mix diary products with fish (if I eat them at all). I realized it's beneficial to stop drinking some time before eating and wait for about two hours after it, so that digestion can take place without diluting the gastric juices.

When I was in my early twenties I fasted sometimes, finding it very hard. I didn't do so for a long time, also because I am rather underweight. However I think of giving it a try again. I also heard that one can actually stabilize (increase) the body weight by omitting food every once in a while.

I would love to hear more thoughts about the protein versus carbohydrate-oriented diet by some of the more experienced practitioners here.

@the garlic lovers: I've read that garlic is (was) forbidden for the yogis / brahmans in India and the aspirants in old Egypt because it was said to de-magnetize the auric field or something. And onions would lead to dull think. Is this only myths?

It's tough to jump right from being at one extreme to the other. Most people take the route of transition. This would call for going say 6-12 months veg, then 6-12 vegan then 6-12 50% raw, etc. When fasting...phew, the rate of healing is immense. Not only that but your vibration raises at an unstable rate (for most anyway). Food induces karma, you take of something else and you're going to have to owe. Meat, however, it much more costly than plants (barely cost anything) according to those who believe in karma.

I'm not a transitioner, i'm an extremist and I've been going at raw food and fasting for a few years and i'll be the first to admit it's hard to do. You become sensitive to EVERYTHING, you begin to feel all the subtle pains, your blockages begin to clear, your energy increases. All of this can be VERY uncomfortable when the increase is too much at once. It's like when a woman gives birth, her vagina may be used to stretching to accommodate a man's penis or fingers, but when a fucking baby comes through there's it's like GOD DAY-UM, the discomfort is astounding, a whole new level. Now imagine all your energy pathways being used to only a small flow, then all of a sudden you surge it with energy...that's how i've experienced it anyway. And fruit especially, in terms of ATP. I remember when I first went fruitarian when i was 17, I literally went from taking the bus to work to jogging 5 miles a day to and back from work overnight; it was the only way I could deal with all the extra energy. Then I remember on the weekends I had to run around or go at a punching bag just to stay sane. I eventually quit because I couldn't handle it, I needed sum sedation (and of course the social stress attributed quite a bit). Awareness is tough to handle sometimes. Kinda like the Matrix, once you realize what it is you want out, then once you realize what out is, you want back in, but once you know what being "in" means you can never be satisfied remaining there. Lol, this is all how "I" feel anyway.

As for opening the third eye, or activating the Pinneal gland, I'm pretty sure just avoid salt and floride like the plague (which may mean giving up water and using fruit/veggie juice or milk instead) and increase your alkalinity. Fasting always helps with energy (internally), you pay off a good bit of karma too. However...and what i'm about to say is probably wrong BUT, if i'm correct there's a secretion made by the pinneal gland which is a liquid that hydrates the body (how people meditate without food or water). Now if we continue to rely on water to hydrate the body then the pinneal gland may not ever have a need to activate fully. I believe that through CAREFUL dry fasting and third eye meditation you may be able to speed up it's activation. In my recent 36 hour dry fast, it was only 36 hours but I could feel the center of my brain buzzing. Of course I was running the Small Universe meditation as well so that probably aided the process but it was pretty neat :). However I don't think that should be attempted unless one is already properly hydrated. I had been drinking nothing but raw milk for about a week in advance (at least 2 quarts a day) so my body was well hydrated. Eating cooked food dehydrates the body rapidly because water is necessary for digestion of solids. Raw living foods all contain a good bit of STRUCTURED fluids. Most water one only absorbs maybe 30% of it because it isn't structured, it doesn't properly hydrate the body (or so some sources say, but I've found it to be consistent with my experiences). Juices from fruits, veggies, sprouts and raw milk are all structured by nature. Salt is also bad because it drains water out of the body to dilute itself so it can be safely eliminated. I don't believe the body can really use it (except of course sodium from say celery or a plant source).

For the avoidance of grain I believe this was referring to cooked or unsprouted grain. This would make sense and grains, beans and seeds that aren't sprouted contain substances that prevent digestion. This is a survival mechanism of the seed so it can sprout and come to life. These substances prevent it's breakdown and bind the minerals to the fibers. It leaves the animal undigested and usually sprouts in the feces. Cooking it may kill the lifeforce of the seed but some mechanisms still remain. It's only by sprouting the seed that it becomes truly usuable by the body.

Plus when you sprout the seed it's vitamin content skyrockets, it's enzyme content skyrockets, minerals release and become usuable, the sun gives it energy to make chlorophyll (a potent blood cleanser).

Fasting I believe increases body weight for underweight people because it cleans out the colon (or any parasites) thus making the nutrients in food more absorbable. Have you every looked into the "milk cure"? It's a healing modality using a temporary diet of only raw milk little bit at a time and lots of bed rest. That too apparently helps people gain weight and also apparently help with disease and skin conditions (sound like a liver cleanse to me). But yeah, if you've ever heard the story of the self proclaimed breatharian Jericho Sunfire (starts at 4:44) he says that he initially had alot of weight loss but as he progress in fruitarian and transitioned to just liquids he checked his weight and saw he gained 20lbs. Fun fun.

As for carbs vs protein, one has only to read "The China Study" or look at people on the "atkins diet". It just don't work, lol. Now what IS interesting is the raw animal foods diet. People seem to be able to thrive off that however it's only when the percentage of their macro-nutrients are fats. Even people (whom i've heard talk one the raw animal food forums and other places) who eat soley animal foods say that any more than 20% protein gives them problems. So I don't think it's a matter of carbs vs protein I think it's a matter of carbs vs fat and keep the protein low :P. Personally I prefer fruit for physical performance but I still have trouble with the energy and awareness so I've been using raw milk. The fats tend to balance things out while in transition and slow the detox while still continuing it (just at a more steady pace).

Just my personal thoughts,

-Astral

Oh also have you ever read theEssene Gospel of Peace?

thank you, astral, for the input / the food... several useful hints in it for me!

I actually didn't jump from one extreme to the other in diet - I grew up vegetarian and mainly remained so, also avoiding sugar, wheat / white grain and most diary products for quite a long time. As I practiced vegan and raw already in the past, I expect to be able to change without the longer transition times you mentionned. They are some sort of more confusing, as the subconcious mind requires a clear information / decision.

I heard of the China study, yes, and I had a look @the Essene gospels (not what I need right now but also offering treasures - Jesus is great for sure, he helped me several times).

D'avid

thanks.

Then you are just as silly as the Haves and the Have-Nots.

Everyone eats. Not everyone eats mindfully and with a grateful heart. This is one of the chief causes of so much disease linked to consumption of food and drink... If you do not know what i am speaking of, you ought to open your eyes a bit more, and see that not everyone lives where you live, and those that do not, numbering millions, often have no choice, due to lack, but to eat what is donated to them, or else starve and die. Just open your eyes. These same people are fortunate to eat one decent meal a week, so please dont preach about being sub-conscious/ignorant about being fed poison that then numbs one from being grateful. This is absolute hogwash. If you are willing to trade places with one of these less fortunate, you might learn a thing or two about not taking what you have, what you eat, and your general condition for granted. In short, you will learn to be more appreciative, instead of coming on here and griping about your problems. Boy, you have no clue what it means to be so lacking that even a spoon of rice becomes a luxury.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the ideas! One thing I did notice. A few years back I went vegetarian for just one month. I'm not sure if it was just a mental thing or what but I was much calmer.

Theres a few aspects why diet should be really important to cutivators.

One is the detox aspect, you should make detox a part of your life, every year, or some kind of ongoing tidbits. The reason is because its such an easy way to make spiritual progress, just by taking the trash out of your system. Its far easier to detox the toxins and junk out of your body than to wait and rely on just the meditations and building of purity through energy practise and meditations. Ultimately the purfication of the body is the same goal. You can look at the raw food people on youtube, the faces, see the energy.

Secondly is when you are fasting or controlling your diet you can break from the desire of wanting comfort food. The habit of sitting down, eating for comfort, then getting in that dopey digestive state like after a big plate of pasta--if you can break free of that, you are making spiritual progress, leaving the ego trap. This is part of the Skandhas of the desire realm, and eating is a huge obstacle. I dont mean to quit eating, but to shake up the habitualness of deriving pleasure from the sitdown, filling your tummy, especially meat and carbs, then as the digestion takes place, you get number. Its hard to explain to a person why this can help if they are not aquainted with the buddhist theories, and its really hard to convince someone that denying simple pleasure is good at times.

Third is that fasting can lead to "spontaneous" visions, bursts of progress.

• Like 1

Then you are just as silly as the Haves and the Have-Nots.

Everyone eats. Not everyone eats mindfully and with a grateful heart. This is one of the chief causes of so much disease linked to consumption of food and drink... If you do not know what i am speaking of, you ought to open your eyes a bit more, and see that not everyone lives where you live, and those that do not, numbering millions, often have no choice, due to lack, but to eat what is donated to them, or else starve and die. Just open your eyes. These same people are fortunate to eat one decent meal a week, so please dont preach about being sub-conscious/ignorant about being fed poison that then numbs one from being grateful. This is absolute hogwash. If you are willing to trade places with one of these less fortunate, you might learn a thing or two about not taking what you have, what you eat, and your general condition for granted. In short, you will learn to be more appreciative, instead of coming on here and griping about your problems. Boy, you have no clue what it means to be so lacking that even a spoon of rice becomes a luxury.

Obviously a person should have the right mindset when eating. Digestoin is important as also thoughts effects food. But one can't be totally unconscious and just accept poisons into their body, naively and think it will do no harm. THe ayurvedic physicians have known for thousands of years that certain foods will affect the mind.

To say this is hogwash is quite naive.

Edited by Non

Obviously a person should have the right mindset when eating. Digestoin is important as also thoughts effects food. But one can't be totally unconscious and just accept poisons into their body, naively and think it will do no harm. THe ayurvedic physicians have known for thousands of years that certain foods will affect the mind.

Also.. in one of the books by Gabriel Cousens he talks about how a person says: "As long as you havethe right mindset you can eat anything you want". He goes on to prove how generally it's true that thoughts affect foods and it effects digestion, but how much energy do you want to expend in digesting crappy food which will in the end kill yyou and disturb the mind, which eventually you have to expend to counter the real effects it has on the body as a vehicle of the spirit or consciousness?

The body can only take so much.

You want to eat whatever you want? Ok, then take the preparations and build yourself up so that you are so indestructible that you can eat whatever you want and nothing happens to you. All takes energy though, and that is (most likely) finite in this Universe.

You want this body to be able to withstand anything,the become more spiritually powerful. But you can't do it when you are at your basal level as you began when you were born. You're vehicle as a carriere of the spirit is not that powerful, and the spirit can over come it BUT is the vehicle then powerful enough to transmit the spirit which can overcome all physical situations?

OK? I understand, thoughts affects food, and digestion. So does awareness. It just doesn't end there...

Edited by Non

thoughts affecting food...hmmm, sounds nice, doesn't sound like truth. The beauty of objective reality is that it exists regardless about what we think about it. Now obviously thoughts can trigger emotions which trigger the release of chemicals in the body which may affect the processes of "digestion", like fear or anger can stimulate the stress response, but that only goes so far.

If you really believe that your thoughts can protect you from poisons then give a starving person some food and slip some cyanide in it, we'll see if his gratitude of finally having some food somehow prevents his death :P. Obviously thats an extreme example but my point remains. Reality is what reality is, regardless of what we think of it. That is why it's so important to understand how the universe works, what it's laws are. Thats why Buddha said the root of all suffering is ignorance. "Forgive them Lord they know not what they do".

Now thats not to say that through cultivation of concentration that we can't change things or perhaps through energetic training, spirit stuff or something else that we can't find a way to neutralize poisons or become godlike, however this is "high level" stuff, most people aren't there. So as nice and poetic as all this sounds the fact is that everything we ingest effects us.

Spirituality and science are the same thing, an attempt to figure out truth. Science is great because it tests and retests and uses controls to make ABSOLUTELY sure that something is indeed true before coming out and stating it as fact. It is limited because it usually depends on funding, technology and our level of evolution. Spirituality is great because it's something we can all do and we get to experience things that technology and modern science hasn't revealed yet. The problem is that it's not tested and retested, it's rarely questioned and rarely investigated and EXTRMELEY RARELY EXPLAINED/UNDERSTOOD. If we apply the same rigorous process of scientific verification on spiritual issues through spiritual methods I believe we would find truth and could destroy the false teachers who are all about profit or simply ignorant of their own ignorance. The problem with both spirituality and science is that they're both susceptible to corruption.

Once upon a time when science was trusted nobody questioned it, now since corruption is being exposed we're questioning it. Now we turn to spirituality and we don't question it (for the most part). You think we'd learn :P QUESTION EVERYTHING!! If it's true it will prove itself and if a teacher hands you truth they wont get defensive if you question them or try to prove for yourself through testing whether they are right. They should encourage questions, they should encourage people applying discernment and try to figure out truth. If they care about you finding truth, then they will want you to question and test principles. If they don't care about you they will charge you money and teach you things that they don't fully understand, they will get defensive if you ask questions and they will feed your "reliance" on them, because truthfully THEY are reliant on YOU ;)

-Astral

EDIT: Damn I got off topic again :wacko:

Edited by Astral_Anima

On 28/2/2011 at 9:43 PM, Astral_Anima said:

took the words right from my mouth :lol:

It's tough to jump right from being at one extreme to the other. Most people take the route of transition. This would call for going say 6-12 months veg, then 6-12 vegan then 6-12 50% raw, etc. When fasting...phew, the rate of healing is immense. Not only that but your vibration raises at an unstable rate (for most anyway). Food induces karma, you take of something else and you're going to have to owe. Meat, however, it much more costly than plants (barely cost anything) according to those who believe in karma.

I'm not a transitioner, i'm an extremist and I've been going at raw food and fasting for a few years and i'll be the first to admit it's hard to do. You become sensitive to EVERYTHING, you begin to feel all the subtle pains, your blockages begin to clear, your energy increases. All of this can be VERY uncomfortable when the increase is too much at once. It's like when a woman gives birth, her vagina may be used to stretching to accommodate a man's penis or fingers, but when a fucking baby comes through there's it's like GOD DAY-UM, the discomfort is astounding, a whole new level. Now imagine all your energy pathways being used to only a small flow, then all of a sudden you surge it with energy...that's how i've experienced it anyway. And fruit especially, in terms of ATP. I remember when I first went fruitarian when i was 17, I literally went from taking the bus to work to jogging 5 miles a day to and back from work overnight; it was the only way I could deal with all the extra energy. Then I remember on the weekends I had to run around or go at a punching bag just to stay sane. I eventually quit because I couldn't handle it, I needed sum sedation (and of course the social stress attributed quite a bit). Awareness is tough to handle sometimes. Kinda like the Matrix, once you realize what it is you want out, then once you realize what out is, you want back in, but once you know what being "in" means you can never be satisfied remaining there. Lol, this is all how "I" feel anyway.

As for opening the third eye, or activating the Pinneal gland, I'm pretty sure just avoid salt and floride like the plague (which may mean giving up water and using fruit/veggie juice or milk instead) and increase your alkalinity. Fasting always helps with energy (internally), you pay off a good bit of karma too. However...and what i'm about to say is probably wrong BUT, if i'm correct there's a secretion made by the pinneal gland which is a liquid that hydrates the body (how people meditate without food or water). Now if we continue to rely on water to hydrate the body then the pinneal gland may not ever have a need to activate fully. I believe that through CAREFUL dry fasting and third eye meditation you may be able to speed up it's activation. In my recent 36 hour dry fast, it was only 36 hours but I could feel the center of my brain buzzing. Of course I was running the Small Universe meditation as well so that probably aided the process but it was pretty neat :). However I don't think that should be attempted unless one is already properly hydrated. I had been drinking nothing but raw milk for about a week in advance (at least 2 quarts a day) so my body was well hydrated. Eating cooked food dehydrates the body rapidly because water is necessary for digestion of solids. Raw living foods all contain a good bit of STRUCTURED fluids. Most water one only absorbs maybe 30% of it because it isn't structured, it doesn't properly hydrate the body (or so some sources say, but I've found it to be consistent with my experiences). Juices from fruits, veggies, sprouts and raw milk are all structured by nature. Salt is also bad because it drains water out of the body to dilute itself so it can be safely eliminated. I don't believe the body can really use it (except of course sodium from say celery or a plant source).

For the avoidance of grain I believe this was referring to cooked or unsprouted grain. This would make sense and grains, beans and seeds that aren't sprouted contain substances that prevent digestion. This is a survival mechanism of the seed so it can sprout and come to life. These substances prevent it's breakdown and bind the minerals to the fibers. It leaves the animal undigested and usually sprouts in the feces. Cooking it may kill the lifeforce of the seed but some mechanisms still remain. It's only by sprouting the seed that it becomes truly usuable by the body.

Plus when you sprout the seed it's vitamin content skyrockets, it's enzyme content skyrockets, minerals release and become usuable, the sun gives it energy to make chlorophyll (a potent blood cleanser).

Fasting I believe increases body weight for underweight people because it cleans out the colon (or any parasites) thus making the nutrients in food more absorbable. Have you every looked into the "milk cure"? It's a healing modality using a temporary diet of only raw milk little bit at a time and lots of bed rest. That too apparently helps people gain weight and also apparently help with disease and skin conditions (sound like a liver cleanse to me). But yeah, if you've ever heard the story of the self proclaimed breatharian Jericho Sunfire (starts at 4:44) he says that he initially had alot of weight loss but as he progress in fruitarian and transitioned to just liquids he checked his weight and saw he gained 20lbs. Fun fun.

As for carbs vs protein, one has only to read "The China Study" or look at people on the "atkins diet". It just don't work, lol. Now what IS interesting is the raw animal foods diet. People seem to be able to thrive off that however it's only when the percentage of their macro-nutrients are fats. Even people (whom i've heard talk one the raw animal food forums and other places) who eat soley animal foods say that any more than 20% protein gives them problems. So I don't think it's a matter of carbs vs protein I think it's a matter of carbs vs fat and keep the protein low :P. Personally I prefer fruit for physical performance but I still have trouble with the energy and awareness so I've been using raw milk. The fats tend to balance things out while in transition and slow the detox while still continuing it (just at a more steady pace).

Just my personal thoughts,

-Astral

Oh also have you ever read theEssene Gospel of Peace?

the pineal gland secretes a liquid that hydrates the body? can you share some source? thanks

I ask this bc I am also interested in dry fasting and pineal gland activation