Sign in to follow this  
freeform

Society Evolving

Prompted by experiences I've been getting from my practices, I've started wondering about the macrocosmic evidence of spiritual evolution... so I just wanted get some feedback from my fellow bums...

I've been seeing the macrocosmic correlations between my inner anatomy and the anatomy of our society as a whole. Jing, chi and shen all have correspondences in the physical, sociological level... jing being the agriculture and food that we grow and eat, chi being the power (in its broadest sense, but encompassing electricity and fuel) and shen being the information by which we make use of all our resources (the internet is a nice macrocosmic shen manifestation imo)...

Then I started thinking about the Dan Tiens... and how through my practices I move from the lower up to the higher... this kind of movement from one to the other suggests a timescale... so macrocosmically, to me, it seems that as a society we have been moving up from the lower to the higher DT through time...

for me the Lower DT represents the bronze age... when agriculture was first introduced... agriculture literally involves cultivating jing (food-resources) by following (and making use of) the natural cycles of nature (rain, seasons, river flooding etc)... planting, growing and collecting food - the life-force of the time. In fact reading Taoist texts on chi kung, you're constantly met with agricultural metaphors when learning to cultivate your LDT.

The post industrial (consumerism) age, from my point of view engaged the Middle DT... We're in the midst of it now... a feeling I get when I'm in tune with my MDT is as if I'm connected with every other human being... kind of like an expansive collective unconcious... I say "I'm connected" but actually when I feel this, I dont identify myself as 'I'... it feels more like 'we'... it's not that humanity is connected to me... it's just that humanity is connected.

So how is this represented physically and sociologically? Well, I started this relisation a while ago, and now it seems clearer... I usually do a little ritual before I eat where I mentaly trace back how the food I'm about to eat has arrived in front of me... and for most of the food there is an overwhelming connection with most of the people on earth... taking into account transport, the inventors of transport, the metalurgy works, the plants that make the tires for the cars that bring the food, planes, packaging, shipping, the workers at the docks, at the airports, the fuel for the transport, refrigeration, storage etc etc etc... the food is here in front of me because of every human being on earth! There is an indirect energetic link to every human with every meal that I eat... and that's just for food... I'm using a computer, wearing clothes, traveling, working, watching TV... every action I take is connected to other humans!

In the agricultural age I suspect it was easier to get a connection to earth... you pick your food out of the ground and you eat it... or you give the dude in the next village some of your rice for a couple of sheep and you eat em, spin the wool and dress yourself etc... there was always a much shorter chain of people that finally led back to earth. So maybe that's why society these days seems so much more ungrounded... so out of touch with nature... but yet so connected and empathic of other people; their trials and tribulations.

What do you think? nonsensical ramblings? or is there really a macrocosmic manifestation of our spiritual anatomy?

what's next for us? The Higher DT is the obvious next route... and I'm not so clear about its role in myself let alone in society... Certainly the Information Age that we're now part of seems like an indicator... I'm communicating with people all over the world by typing this... I can find pretty much any information I need... secrecy seems to be a thing of the past... Scientific discoveries as profound as Newton's are popping up round the clock...

What have we to look forward to and what are we likely to dread? What are your experiences of the HDT and how do you think it relates to society?

I was just musing about the drop in crime in the US and I think it has to do with the phase out of lead in paint and gasoline. The rest of the world at various stages is benefitting from this phase out as well. Except for maybe China. I do think that the world has a clearer headspace b/c of it.

dunno if you guys felt it but there was a big shift in consciousness about 2 weeks ago....

it could have just been local but i think it was global.

it's like we were humming along on 4th gear and then suddenly dropped down into third (signifying how the buzz has gotten more intense/faster).

2006 a big year. 2007 will be even bigger and so on for the next few years.

hold on fellas, we in for a wild ride!

(thats why im so emphatic about there being no time. it truly is approaching get on board or be left behind!)

What do you think? nonsensical ramblings? or is there really a macrocosmic manifestation of our spiritual anatomy?

Not nonsensical ramblings at all, I think the observation was very astute of you. I feel your observation is the basis of the idea that we can know everything by simply observing. I think that's a basic taoist tenet isn't it? Something about seeing the whole world in a grain of sand. If you want to know anything just observe your surroundings and you will know it. So what you see in society, you can see in the whole earth, the galaxy and universe..maybe even, dare i say it...god..

T

Very interesting. There is a theory of "information doubling" and the rapid progression throughout history. As far as I know it was a french statistician who's name I don't remember who first put the theory on paper. However I prefer the way it was presented by Robert Anton Wilson who calls it the Jumping Jesus Phenomenon. In his system you take all of the knowledge that had accumalated until 1 B.C. and use that as your fundamental unit. 1 Jesus. Wilson poses the question how long did it take this to double. According to Wilson it took it about 1200 years to double, bringing us to 2 Jesus. The next doubling took about 500 years. Then 200 years, 100 years, 50 years, 20, 10, the estimate in 1988 was information was doubling every couple of years. He also brought in the factor of the east to west shift of the center civilazation and commerce from Babalon to Japan to New York. As well as North, South conflicts and pendelum swings of conservativism and liberalism. And he points out that each conservative backswing is less conservative than the one before.

Now it seems with the world wide web, free flow of information and commerce many of the Marxist precepts are fading into the background and a new dynamic is emerging that doesn't fit the current model for society. And obviously the fundamentalist have noticed a change in the air because they are clinging to their biggoted, narrow view tighter than ever.

Sign in to follow this