zerostao

Ta Chuan chapter 4

The I Ching contains the measure of heaven and earth; therefore it enables us to comprehend the tao of heaven and earth.

Thus we come to know the circumstances of the dark and the light.

Going back to the beginnings of things and pursuing them to the end,

we come to know the lessons of birth and death.

The union of seed and power produces all things;

the escape of the soul brings about change.

Through this we come to know the conditions of outgoing and returning spirits.

Hi Zerostao,

The I-ching is not part of my belief system but I will never deny the importance it plays in the development of Taoist Philosophy (the TTC).

Hi Zerostao,

The I-ching is not part of my belief system but I will never deny the importance it plays in the development of Taoist Philosophy (the TTC).

:) hi MH,

Thankyou guys so much for the work you do here on this subforum. 3 days ago I felt

an immediate connection to the Nie-Yeh. I now have my own copy :wub: (becoz of you guys)

The I-ching has also been included on this subforum. There has been a question of if the I-ching could help someone(not everyone) have a better understanding of the Tao.

I have a function based system rather than a belief system. I am more fully aware of that since becoming more active on TTB.

Many folks can find resonance with the Tao by reading and understanding Lao Tzu or Chuang Tzu. Others have suggested The Art of War or any other classic Chinese texts.

All of these have one thing in common in that they are influenced by the I-ching.

In 1986 , I met a certain fellow named Da Liu. He suggested that if I wanted to learn Tai chi, I should study the I-ching. If I wanted to know true meditation, I should study and ponder the I-ching. If I wanted to better have an understanding of Tao,

I should study,ponder, and become personally aquainted with the I-ching.

I understand that many folks view the I-ching as inaccessable or opaque. Many look at it as a superstitious type of oracle.

The reason I selected this chapter of the Ta Chuan to begin with is imo it will thin out the crowd quickly. The ones remaining are the ones I am here to share with.

Ta Chuan chapter 4......

Since in this way man comes to resemble heaven and earth, he is not in conflict with them. His wisdom embraces all things, and his tao brings order into the whole world; therefore he does not err. He is active everywhere but does not let himself be carried away. He rejoices in heaven and has knowledge of fate, therefore he is free of care. He is content with his circumstances and genuine in his kindness,therefore he can practice love.

• Like 1

Ta Chuan chapter 4......

Since in this way man comes to resemble heaven and earth, he is not in conflict with them. His wisdom embraces all things, and his tao brings order into the whole world; therefore he does not err. He is active everywhere but does not let himself be carried away. He rejoices in heaven and has knowledge of fate, therefore he is free of care. He is content with his circumstances and genuine in his kindness,therefore he can practice love.

Hehehe. That sounds so darn Taoist to me.

In it are contained the forms and the scope of everything in the heavens and on earth,so that nothing escapes it. In it all things everywhere are completed,so that none is missing. therefore by means of it we can penetrate the tao of night and day, and so understand it. Therefore the spirit is bound to no one place, nor the Book of Changes to any one form.

Edited by zerostao

Hehehe. That sounds so darn Taoist to me.

OK :) , so here i have presented 4 paragraphs of chapter 4 of the Ta Chuan.

i did not include every single line. I do feel that I represented the flavor

and the intent of the chapter.

This chapter sets forth the mysterious connections existing between the reproductions given in the Book of Changes and reality.

It sounds pretty darn taoist to me too.

Hey! Whichway? To me, the I Ching is the most fundamental of the classic texts. The TTC is the descendant of the I Ching - expressing the same worldview in a more poetic and encrypted language. So much eloquence could be wasted without the scaffold of the original insights presented in the I Ching. No Taoist scholar can embark on a study of the Taoist systems without first embracing the I Ching. As far as practice goes, knowledge of the I Ching is not a pre-requisite. However, exposure to the I Ching coda will generate immediate recalibration aof the practitioners psycho/physical aggregate. Kind of like a Thunderbolt moment of transmission.

By understanding the Tao maatarix and the way we move within the matrix as energy beings we are able to integrate all our knowings to better our practice. Of course, this means at the root to be in harmony with the Tao. Or, in other words, to go with the flow.

The original map of the eight trigrams, the genesis of the trigrams from the Tao, the swirl of consciousness that produced the eight from the One, and the sity-four hexagrams form a multi-dimensional map of the potential of consciousness on both the individual and global scale. We go to Ba Gua and to Tai Chi. We go to Tantra and Mantra. And ultimately to Wu-Wei from whence we may meta-morphose, in a reversal of the genesis, back to the primordial egoless drop of pure consciousness...

Om Gaia Dudes!

• Like 1

I find reading the I Ching as a good way to reflect on myself, thoughts, feelings etc and get deeper immersed in Taoist wisdom.

I find the Taoist I Ching to be very clearly written with commentaries from Liu I-Ming, a Taoist adept.

Today I received Awakening to the Tao, also written by Liu I-Ming, which deals with the hexagrams in another way. Very illuminating!

The Buddhist I Ching is also very good - I'm sure that Marblehead wouldn't like it though :)

I recently ordered a copy of the I-Ching (or somebody's version of it) off the internet.

I think there is a correlation between any practice that utilizes the synchronicity of the moment to triangulate the reality of the situation, and this I have learned from my shamanic experience. But there is such an incredible cross-over from the shamanic to the Daoist, there is barely any distinction at all.

I look forward to reading the book, particularly after this thread. Maybe I'm putting too much importance on the divination/synchronicity/seeing thing and that's not the point of it at all; but that's the reason I bought the book....to look for the similarity and see if there are differences there that I could triangulate into my own personal practice.

• Like 1

I recently ordered a copy of the I-Ching (or somebody's version of it) off the internet.

I think there is a correlation between any practice that utilizes the synchronicity of the moment to triangulate the reality of the situation, and this I have learned from my shamanic experience. But there is such an incredible cross-over from the shamanic to the Daoist, there is barely any distinction at all.

I look forward to reading the book, particularly after this thread. Maybe I'm putting too much importance on the divination/synchronicity/seeing thing and that's not the point of it at all; but that's the reason I bought the book....to look for the similarity and see if there are differences there that I could triangulate into my own personal practice.

have you had the chance to get into it yet?(reading)

suprahuman intelligence has from the beginning made use of 3 mediums of expression.

people, animals, plants. each of these pulsates life in a different rhythm.

chance came to be utilized as the 4th medium. the very absence of an immediate

meaning in chance permitted a deeper expression and meaning.

in addition to use as oracle, the book of changes, I Ching serves to further intuitive understanding

of conditions in the world. and penetrating to the depths of nature and spirit.

have you had the chance to get into it yet?(reading)

suprahuman intelligence has from the beginning made use of 3 mediums of expression.

people, animals, plants. each of these pulsates life in a different rhythm.

chance came to be utilized as the 4th medium. the very absence of an immediate

meaning in chance permitted a deeper expression and meaning.

in addition to use as oracle, the book of changes, I Ching serves to further intuitive understanding

of conditions in the world. and penetrating to the depths of nature and spirit.

Yes, I have had a chance to get into it. This is going to sound so arrogant that many will land on me with both feet, I'm sure....coming up the path I did, the triangulation already occurs in a slightly different way. However, my particular type of triangulation involves the constant change looked at in view of the synchronicity of the moment, triangulated with what the person is manifesting in their life at the moment of vision. It occurred to me after studying the book for several weeks (somewhat complicated, really wonderful connections) that it was placing me in the place of vision that I already had, just a different path. I did walk away from it, not because there was nothing there, there certainly was! It's just that I realized that it would be a distraction to my particular path to spend as much time as I would need to fully understand the structure and non-structure of the book of changes, to come up with the same thing.

In chapter 19 of the Nei-yeh (coming up next in the Nei-yeh study) there is a verse: "Can you concentrate? Can you unite with them? Can you not resort to divining by tortoise or milfoil Yet know bad and good fortune?" This resonates with Truth to me, because the vision is there without the tortoise shells. I'm going to leave well-enough alone on this, I've decided; I will continue to allow Nature to be the teacher and learn from the Not-Doing of living with Change, bending the light slightly when I see the need in front of me.

What I did discover recently is the earth dance called Qigong, which is a way of bringing to the manifest that which is already inside me. The inner movements are there, the snake lives within; Qigong gives it form and expression. Thank you Michael Lomax! However, I also realize that it would also be a distraction to learn the Qigong form of another; because to let our own bodies talk up from the earth, from the inside to the outside; how much more natural can this flow be?

Barb

• Like 1

Yes, I have had a chance to get into it. This is going to sound so arrogant that many will land on me with both feet, I'm sure....coming up the path I did, the triangulation already occurs in a slightly different way. However, my particular type of triangulation involves the constant change looked at in view of the synchronicity of the moment, triangulated with what the person is manifesting in their life at the moment of vision. It occurred to me after studying the book for several weeks (somewhat complicated, really wonderful connections) that it was placing me in the place of vision that I already had, just a different path. I did walk away from it, not because there was nothing there, there certainly was! It's just that I realized that it would be a distraction to my particular path to spend as much time as I would need to fully understand the structure and non-structure of the book of changes, to come up with the same thing.

In chapter 19 of the Nei-yeh (coming up next in the Nei-yeh study) there is a verse: "Can you concentrate? Can you unite with them? Can you not resort to divining by tortoise or milfoil Yet know bad and good fortune?" This resonates with Truth to me, because the vision is there without the tortoise shells. I'm going to leave well-enough alone on this, I've decided; I will continue to allow Nature to be the teacher and learn from the Not-Doing of living with Change, bending the light slightly when I see the need in front of me.

What I did discover recently is the earth dance called Qigong, which is a way of bringing to the manifest that which is already inside me. The inner movements are there, the snake lives within; Qigong gives it form and expression. Thank you Michael Lomax! However, I also realize that it would also be a distraction to learn the Qigong form of another; because to let our own bodies talk up from the earth, from the inside to the outside; how much more natural can this flow be?

Barb

:) it is all about self-knowledge.