Astral_Anima

Method of Judging Gurus

Hey All,

This is from the book "Ways to Self Realization" Written in the 70s(?) by Mouni Sadhu. In this book there was a chapter called "False gurus" that I had to write down and share. It's a pretty good read but for those who are lazy and only want the main points I want to emphasize i'll quote some stuff. But I highly recommend reading the whole chapter and certainly the book is a good read as well. You can find it fairly cheap on amazon. Mine's already falling apart cause it was only $4 :P Anyway here are some good quotes:

Excited by the cleverly suggested mystery and alleged possibility of obtaining superphysical powers, and devoured by the vice of curiosity men are only too willing to pay for initiatory pamphlets and instructions. If these are only a hoax (as usually happens) or if the prospective initiate lacks the necessary will power and persistence to perform exactly what he has been told, then the evil is not so great. Even so, such disappointed individuals often begin to consider everything spoken and written about occultism and even spiritual things as pure humbug and just a means for extracting money from naive folk. The they become cynical and materialistic.

But if such sealed and secret monographs, and so on, contain some real instructions on occult and psychical practices, and is the future adept is persistent and stubborn in his efforts to become a superman, then he might get a premature glimpse of a corner of the astromental double or counterpart of this visible and sentient world.

By using different methods of breath control, mental concentration and visualization processes taken from some illegally divulged fragments of occult science, some unfortunates are able to develop certain superphysical senses and to contact the lower kind of entities of the astromental plane. As they are not yet Saints or disciples of a true spiritual Master, who would definitely forbid any adventures of this kind, what counterpart of the physical world can they hope to see? Only the worst one, related to their own ignorance and lack of inner balance.

Then we begin to hear complaints of malicious obsessions, evil influences from bad spirits, nervous disorders, and finally, physical ruin. And who is responsible for all this? Why not the real criminals, the false Yogis and occultists, who have sown these evil seeds?

The worst is that most beginners believe that they will be an exception and that they can smuggle themselves into a forbidden realm, even though warned of the dangers attending a premature mingling with other planes before the personality has been purified by a really good life.

There is a means for judging whether or not a person is worthy of our attention, who likes to be admired as a “master,” who gives particular instructions about details, but not about the main direction of our conduct, and who plays on our vice of curiosity and thirst for power over others. It is simply this: if under some influence we feel that we become better, wiser, more tolerant, and full of love for all living things, then we should consider the matter seriously, for it might be our true Path. But if we receive only some scraps of doubtful occult secrets under the label of initiations, and so on, then we can be sure that the author or alleged “master” is a rogue. There cannot be the slightest doubt if, in addition, we are asked to pay for the lessons, and if such revelations are easily accessible to anyone irrespective of his qualifications to receive certain knowledge. The true Master of Wisdom lays the greatest emphasis on the qualities of the prospective disciple, and these are the only deciding factors. He will never try to give us something unsuitable or premature.

But the occult criminals act differently, especially if they accidently come into possession of some minor secrets; for then they are ready to communicate the most unsuitable and dangerous things to anyone who is prepared to pay openly, or often in a cleverly concealed form.

Please read the whole thing as it's a very good warning for new practitioners and ever for those who may already be in this predicament. This book was written in the 70's but even today this continues. I found this chapter to be very insightful and an interesting perspective to view things from and wanted to share. Again please read the whole thing, it's very intersting :) Lemme know your thoughts

Peace

-Astral

EDIT:I'm reposting the attachment due to a typo. Look below.

Edited by Astral_Anima

Hey All,

This is from the book "Ways to Self Realization" Written in the 70s(?) by Mounti Sadhu. In this book there was a chapter called "False gurus" that I had to write down and share. It's a pretty good read but for those who are lazy and only want the main points I want to emphasize i'll quote some stuff. But I highly recommend reading the whole chapter and certainly the book is a good read as well. You can find it fairly cheap on amazon. Mine's already falling apart cause it was only $4 :P Anyway here are some good quotes:

good stuff! thank you.... I consider this essential reading after reading these quotes.. ordering a copy!

Please read the whole thing as it's a very good warning for new practitioners and ever for those who may already be in this predicament. This book was written in the 70's but even today this continues. I found this chapter to be very insightful and an interesting perspective to view things from and wanted to share. Again please read the whole thing, it's very intersting :) Lemme know your thoughts

Peace

-Astral

taotongue- haha, glad you like it. There's also a great book on concentration that I've been using as the new basis of my practice. For those that have torrents here's the link:

http://www.kickasstorrents.com/mouni-sadhu-concentration-1-ebook-pdf-t2681114.html

The guy himself sounds pretty interesting. I may look into some more of his books. Most can be found on Amazon.com.

-Astral

taotongue- haha, glad you like it. There's also a great book on concentration that I've been using as the new basis of my practice. For those that have torrents here's the link:

http://www.kickasstorrents.com/mouni-sadhu-concentration-1-ebook-pdf-t2681114.html

The guy himself sounds pretty interesting. I may look into some more of his books. Most can be found on Amazon.com.

-Astral

Great stuff Astral...really very much appreciated.

My guess is that with just about everybody, even the masters, sooner or later we run into ego, either ours or theirs. We are, after all, human beings; and this seems to be hardwired into our structure.

I really like the method of triangulation, where you consciously compare the wisdom of several simultaneously and come to your own conclusions. That's the only thing I've ever done, and it seems to work pretty well. Comparing two or three different translations of the TTC results in a more thorough understanding than reading just one.

Could not the same be done with teachers, at some point in time? Yes, it may be necessary to totally immerse ones self in another's point of view for a period of time, but when we've backed off from the master or teacher to see the essence of what he taught us, this essence can be viewed alongside other essences and your own understanding will develop.

Edited by manitou
  • Like 3

"illegal"????

Just for that, I'll say late 19th to early 20th century. Seriously, "illegal"??

"The worst is that most beginners believe that they will be an exception and that they can smuggle themselves into a forbidden realm, even though warned of the dangers attending a premature mingling with other planes before the personality has been purified by a really good life."

"Don't worry be happy"

This feels like Deja vu all over again

Good to have an exit strategy

929823-L.jpg

Way too many of us need a fixin' from time to time.

"The worst is that most beginners believe that they will be an exception and that they can smuggle themselves into a forbidden realm, even though warned of the dangers attending a premature mingling with other planes before the personality has been purified by a really good life."

"Don't worry be happy"

This feels like Deja vu all over again

Good to have an exit strategy ( or owners manual )

929823-L.jpg

Way too many of us need a fixin' from time to time.

Afterthought... we really don't come with an operating manual.

Think automobile, our battery, fluids, pressure (tire, oil) etc.. I know I have pushed it into the "RED" too many times, gone long distance with low pressure, fluids... enough with the visuals.

I know TRUNK's web blog has some fixer upper super duper damage control wisdom as well.

Happy motoring... or space travel!