windblown

Taoist things to do

Here's some Taoist things I have done:

1. Chi-Gung-(quit 3 years ago)

2. Painting with Chinese ink on rice paper-(quit 2 years ago)

3. Attempting to learn the I-Ching-(quit today after 2 weeks)

4. Looking at the cherry blossoms blooming (now)

5. Seeing the good in someone when others see the bad and vice versa (now)

6. Vibrating to all the ten thousand things working in perfect rhythm...like airplanes roaring and street lights changing and clouds moving and all of it merging(now)

So I've come to the conclusion that 1,2,and 3 for me are 'trying too hard' to be closer to Tao. Being closer to Tao or swimming in the flow is more about small everyday occurrences such as in 4,5,an 6. I may not be an expert in any modality, I may not have anything to offer tangibly... but if I can live in the heart of Tao that's all I want.

• Like 2

6. Vibrating to all the ten thousand things working in perfect rhythm...like airplanes roaring and street lights changing and clouds moving and all of it merging(now)

I like to do this as a meditation sometimes to feel connected to Everything. Sometimes if you're sitting in a doctor's office or someplace where there are a variety of sounds (a train depot?) it's wonderful to just close your eyes and listen to every single sound around you; and giving no more importance to any one sound than the other; to imagine it as a symphony. It's pretty powerful and makes an instant connection.

(So much for the next 10 years, windblown, lol. I read one of your previous posts in a different thread). I agree that sometimes it's good to take a break from shoving new stuff into our heads and let the inner awarenesses catch up.

Edited by manitou
  • Thanks 1

[quote name='manitou'

"I like to do this as a meditation sometimes to feel connected to Everything. Sometimes if you're sitting in a doctor's office or someplace where there are a variety of sounds (a train depot?) it's wonderful to just close your eyes and listen to every single sound around you; and giving no more importance to any one sound than the other; to imagine it as a symphony. It's pretty powerful and makes an instant connection."

Me, "Cool..then I'm doing a meditation...that answers another question in a different thread about 'simple' meditation. Never know how my answers will come to me...like a frisbee in the sky-comes outta' nowhere-thanks Manitou."

Manitou quote,"(So much for the next 10 years, windblown, lol. I read one of your previous posts in a different thread). I agree that sometimes it's good to take a break from shoving new stuff into our heads and let the inner awarenesses catch up.

Me quote...Yeah, keep it simple sweetie! :)

• Like 1

[quote name='manitou'

"I like to do this as a meditation sometimes to feel connected to Everything. Sometimes if you're sitting in a doctor's office or someplace where there are a variety of sounds (a train depot?) it's wonderful to just close your eyes and listen to every single sound around you; and giving no more importance to any one sound than the other; to imagine it as a symphony. It's pretty powerful and makes an instant connection."

Me, "Cool..then I'm doing a meditation...that answers another question in a different thread about 'simple' meditation. Never know how my answers will come to me...like a frisbee in the sky-comes outta' nowhere-thanks Manitou."

Manitou quote,"(So much for the next 10 years, windblown, lol. I read one of your previous posts in a different thread). I agree that sometimes it's good to take a break from shoving new stuff into our heads and let the inner awarenesses catch up.

[quote name='manitou'

So I've come to the conclusion that 1,2,and 3 for me are 'trying too hard' to be closer to Tao. Being closer to Tao or swimming in the flow is more about small everyday occurrences such as in 4,5,an 6. I may not be an expert in any modality, I may not have anything to offer tangibly... but if I can live in the heart of Tao that's all I want.

May i ask, which Chi Gong you practiced and for how long?

i was going to reply to the title of the thread and say "nothing" but your post is amazing and out does me.

respect.

www.waykiwayki.com

Edited by wayki
  • Like 1

Its just hard to find alot of people who do these kind of things. You can be lazy, over-sensitive, yet happy in your taoist ways. You can be carless about Tao and angry, yet strong, confident and disciplined.

:blush: Nice thread. I am down with cherry blossums,pine needles,watching clouds,

sipping tea on the mountain,building a fire, and keeping it simple.

• Like 1

I guess it all depends on what we want from life and how long we expect to be here. I am indebted to Deng Ming-Dao (365 Tao) for keeping me focused on what's important because I still have 3 major goals left and only about forty years left to accomplish them.

RESOLVE

Banish uncertainty.

Affirm strength.

Hold resolve.

Expect death.

Make your stand today. On this spot. On this day. Make your actions

count; do not falter in your determination to fulfill your destiny.

Don't follow the destiny outlined in some mystical book: Create your

own.

Your resolve to tread the path of life is your best asset. Without

it, you die. Death is unavoidable, but let it not be from loss of will

but because your time is over. As long as you can keep going, use your

imagination to cope with the travails of life. Overcome your obstacles

and realize what you envision.

You will know unexpected happiness. You will know the sorrow of

seeing what is dearest to you cut down before your eyes. Accept that.

That is the nature of human existence, and you have no time to buffer

this fact with fairy tales and illogical explanations.

Each day, your life grows shorter by twenty-four hours. The time to

make achievements becomes more precious. You must fulfill everything you

want in life and then release your will upon the moment of death. Your

life is a creation that dies when you die. Release it, give up your

individuality, and in so doing, finally merge completely with Tao.

Until that moment, create the poetry of your life with toughness and

determination.

• Like 3

:lol:

(In a healthy way...not trying to offend).

i was going to reply to the title of the thread and say "nothing"

Good one! :lol:

Make your stand today. On this spot. On this day. Make your actions

count; do not falter in your determination to fulfill your destiny.

Don't follow the destiny outlined in some mystical book: Create your

own.

Your resolve to tread the path of life is your best asset. Without

it, you die. Death is unavoidable, but let it not be from loss of will

but because your time is over. As long as you can keep going, use your

imagination to cope with the travails of life. Overcome your obstacles

and realize what you envision.

You will know unexpected happiness. You will know the sorrow of

seeing what is dearest to you cut down before your eyes. Accept that.

That is the nature of human existence, and you have no time to buffer

this fact with fairy tales and illogical explanations.

Each day, your life grows shorter by twenty-four hours. The time to

make achievements becomes more precious. You must fulfill everything you

want in life and then release your will upon the moment of death. Your

life is a creation that dies when you die. Release it, give up your

individuality, and in so doing, finally merge completely with Tao.

Until that moment, create the poetry of your life with toughness and

determination.

Whoa! Strong medicine! I should read this daily.

Lovely :-)

Can we say 1, 2, 3 led to 4, 5, 6?

:-)

Yeah, I don't believe that the individual's path is to shed societal conditioning, only to be replaced by adding Taoisty conditioning.

The path is already inside, so the practice of the path doesn't need any tradition, and that practice dies by rules.

For me, dance is #1. It is a perfect opportunity to move, totally authentically, without any attempt at living in the 3rd person (seeing myself from the outside). It is my best opportunity to step aside, and see activity unfolding without any interference from "me" or my ideas of how I'm supposed to move.

From dance arises an authentic Tai Chi, an authentic Yoga, an authentic Qi Gung, etc. Each is just a reflection of where my system is at that moment in time, of what progress I have made before, and of what limitations I still have. Since each is true to where I'm at, they never lead me into injury (even though they have led me into break-dancing in my 30s/40s), and always lead toward further liberation.

Along the way to surrendering "right" and "wrong", God forbid we fall into the trap that there's only one right way to surrender.

Funny (I-ching, chinese rice paper painting, qigong)... all things I enjoy or want to secondary to my interest in eastern philosophy. Yet, I definitely feel it all depends on where you are coming from.

I really desire consistent routine right now. Maybe to the point of tradition. I know desires need to be curbed, but I feel nervous about losing my momentum with my spirituality (track record speaks volumes to this). Without something meaningful and routine to remind me of the basics, I'll stray.

Of course, the above mentioned things don't have to be it. Today its weight-lifting and meditation daily. And about to add soccer to my qigong 'to do' list!

You can do a million taoist "things" but if you dont have the tao in ur heart its useless

• Thanks 1

today i am just gonna walk around whistling & enjoying the sunshine, will find some trees to play with. will also touch base with the I- ching.

may stop in and visit a blind girl i know.

On 2/23/2011 at 3:41 PM, Otis said:

Yeah, I don't believe that the individual's path is to shed societal conditioning, only to be replaced by adding Taoisty conditioning.

The path is already inside, so the practice of the path doesn't need any tradition, and that practice dies by rules.

For me, dance is #1. It is a perfect opportunity to move, totally authentically, without any attempt at living in the 3rd person (seeing myself from the outside). It is my best opportunity to step aside, and see activity unfolding without any interference from "me" or my ideas of how I'm supposed to move.

From dance arises an authentic Tai Chi, an authentic Yoga, an authentic Qi Gung, etc. Each is just a reflection of where my system is at that moment in time, of what progress I have made before, and of what limitations I still have. Since each is true to where I'm at, they never lead me into injury (even though they have led me into break-dancing in my 30s/40s), and always lead toward further liberation.

Along the way to surrendering "right" and "wrong", God forbid we fall into the trap that there's only one right way to surrender.

Otis???  The same Otis that made those funny videos and met me for lunch in Malibu years ago????