Marblehead

Taoist Philosophy - Chapter 103

Those Who Hold It Lose It

For those who would like to take control
Of the world and act on it;
The Sage knows that with this
They simply will not succeed.
The world is a sacred vessel;
It is not something that can be acted upon.

Those who act on it destroy it;
Those who try to hold on to it lose it;
He who makes it spoils it.
Hence the Sage eschews excess,
Eschews extravagance,
Eschews pride.

To Have Territory Is To Have Something Great

To have a territory is to have something great. He who has something great must not regard the material things as material things. Only by not regarding material things as material things can one be the lord of things. The principle of looking at material things as not real things is not confined to mere government of the empire. Such a one may wander at will between the six limits of space or travel over the Seven Continents, unhampered and free. This is to be the Unique One. The Unique One is the highest among men.

Edited by Marblehead

I want to say something about our current administration here, but any time I mention anything political at all, it gets edited out. This one may too, but damn! it's so pertinent to today....

The current administration is practicing wu-wei on the world situations. You can see it in the fact that there is no action until the time is right. The administration waits for the situation to come to them. They are running a large country like you would fry a small fish - hands off, involve yourself as little as possible or the fish will fall apart. Only turn it once.

I see enlightenment at our highest levels; everything will naturally fall into place because wu-wei is in effect. The man is a sorcerer.

Or it might be a sign of indecision?

Hehehe.

Yeah, we gotta' be careful talking about politics. Almost as bad as talking about religion. Might even be worse.

Edited by Marblehead

I think many see it this way, a sign of indecision.

I don't believe so. Remember that one of the first persons to visit the White House was the Dalai Lama (although he was sent away the first time, if you recall - we had to have China in there first) - my guess is that the Dalai Lama was able to 'see' the enlightenment. He is the one that reached out to him, not the other way around.

For the U.S. to have 'policy' in any particular area is to be stuck in the mud. I am happy to see him getting away from "U.S. foreign policy", or anything that causes us to have to act in any particular way. Several times I have heard on a news snippet that he tells people to stay in the 'here and now', which is pretty darned enlightened for a huge government. He trusts the internal process of the Tao, or whatever he calls it. It's incredible to me that he was able to get his staff, such as Hillary, Gates, whomever - to go along with this.

I have 'seen' his enlightenment since he came into office. I have Seen his do-nothingness, but in a very smart way. If my sight is wrong, it is because my eyes haven't developed to the extent that is capable of seeing correctly. I guess it'll all come out in the wash, maybe 20 years down the road when this period of time can be viewed from a distance.

It seems to me that he is handling things one day at a time, and his timing is pretty impeccable.

Just wanted to let you know that I read your post but won't respond as doing so would take this thread too far off topic.

How does that saying go? "What will be will be."