manitou

Nei-yeh chapter 1

"Therefore this vital energy

Cannot be halted by force,

Yet can be secured by inner power (Te).

Cannot be summoned by speech,

Yet can be welcomed by awareness

I guess, to stop the vital energy, one would have to be 'outside' the vital energy, which we cannot be. To develop Te (virtue) is to develop the inner power. As we've discussed a lot on these threads, 'te' isn't being good or bad; te is what is developed if we're impeccable in our self-discovery.

The vital energy, the Tao, seems to be a latency. It is the blueprint of the oak tree that is in the acorn. We can skirt around it with words, but it manifests inside us as awareness. I guess awareness is the oak tree growing within us.

Or not. Any other ideas? These first two verses are awfully close to the beginning of the TTC, so there's not a lot of new chewable stuff yet. But it does get interesting"

I am not sure why the (Te) is in parathesis here? Was it an added edit from the translator.

When I read it, I think of the Dan Tien where the essence may accumulate.

Edited by Dagon
  • Like 1

Since the rest of the verse seems to be talking about energy, I would think that the grains are referring to the different manifestations of it.

I see it like the grain of a tree.

I see the body as a nexus which is a culmination of all these grains.

Earth, Wind, Water, Fire, Heart. All of these exist within us.

The negative energy is considered an aspect by some, but I consider it just void of any energy.

Edited by Dagon

Wei means external. So there are three Wei Qi fields we can develop to surround us which protect the body.

See the first picture on the right. When you mentioned the fluid, I immediately had this image in my mind, of the three Wei Qi fields. I am not sure that this is technically a correct comparison to the role of the fluid but that was my first reaction.

http://www.ichikung.com/html/dantians.php

To be a little more precise, wei means defense or protect and weiqi is the surface or external from of bodily qi. Wai is the actual chinese term that means external, as in waidan (external alchemy)

Friend, your analysis was eye-opening! Thank you so much!

Taking your thoughts one step further (as to storing wisdom in the chest); lo and behold, this is where the heart is! That certainly ties in with your 'love without loving' comment; the Sage IS love; he doesn't have to decide to use it here or there.

It has also been stated in various scriptures "God is love"