Sign in to follow this  
Everything

Stimulating the senses

Hey, peepol. Got a question in my mind and would like to get a good perspective from someone else.

Have you ever heard the business advice for city people of "You should never dine alone."? That you should always break bread with someone when you really want to get to know them and bond with them. The reason is, appart from sex, dining is the only experience where you use all of your senses. You taste the food, you smell and see the food, you hear the music, see the restaurant and the person, you hear the conversation, you feel the texture of the food, knife, fork, table. It stimulates the senses, creating a more rich experience. Where awareness becomes rich, life becomes rich, you feel more in control.

Why am I sharing this with you? Because some people don't have all these stimuli around them, which makes it hard to create rich experiences and become more aware.

Its like this: when you lie in bed and you close your eyes, the visual stimuli will be reduced to almost nothing. Becoming aware on what you see becomes hard, becoming aware of what you feel when not moving a muscle becomes hard aswell, unless you got spiders crawling under your bed sheets. This is how we loose awareness, naturally, so that your body may become paralized without notice and go in the sleep cycles of healing the body and some dreaming along the way.

The dream generating process itself, however, is a very rich experience. The senses can be very stimulated by the dream generating process. Attaining awareness in a dream is a wonderful experience. When you accidentally wake up right in the middle of a dream and don't move a muscle so that the dream begins again. This is called a wake initiated dream. You can also become aware that you are dreaming within the dream itself. This experience becomes a lucid dream aswell. This is one of the most vivid and most rich experiences to be had, because literally every sense is intensified to a 120% of the usual waking experience, since the stimuli come from the dream generating impulses within your own brain. Most people never knew this, because they don't recall dreams or lucid dreams that well... When you test it within a lucid dream and remember to answer the question of "Do my senses (taste, smell, sight, feeling) feel more intense and vivid in the dream then the waking world?" you will get the inevitable answer of "yes", to be remembered even after you wake up.

So, my question: How do we make the senses more receptive to stimuli so that we may live more rich and vivid lifes?

Edited by Everything

So, my question: How do we make the sense more receptive to stimuli so that we may live more rich and vivid lifes?

Good question, Everything,

I believe the answer is focus:

• Focus on the moment
  • Focus on each of the senses: Smells, Sounds, Taste, Texture, Touch, etc.

-in other words: Don't only give your senses to food an sex, Enjoy (or simply sense) the wind, the air in your nostrils, the scents of the surroundings, the feeling of being alive, your heart beating, the skin prickling, the sounds in your ears, etc.

Meditation on the senses (one at a time) can help you sharpen a sense which may have become numb to the conscious self.

Happy sensing! :lol:

Good question, Everything,

I believe the answer is focus:

• Focus on the moment
  • Focus on each of the senses: Smells, Sounds, Taste, Texture, Touch, etc.

-in other words: Don't only give your senses to food an sex, Enjoy (or simply sense) the wind, the air in your nostrils, the scents of the surroundings, the feeling of being alive, your heart beating, the skin prickling, the sounds in your ears, etc.

Meditation on the senses (one at a time) can help you sharpen a sense which may have become numb to the conscious self.

Happy sensing! :lol:

Lets pay attention to my ability to smell. I breath in as deeply as possible, smell something, but not sure what. Then I breath in deeply again and I smell a slight diffrent scent... The change between scents is what gives me great receptiveness as I practiced your words.

Smelling diffrent things, the desk still has the scent of spray from 2 weeks ago. My 2 months old calculator on the desk still has strong scent of fresh plastic. The empty plate with bread crums requires all my focus to smell the chocolate that was within the bread.

The most interesting is the plastic bag that was left behind here, by someone I know. It was given to this person by someone who went to vacation... How do I know this? I know these people, I smell the parfume of the person who left it here, and I smell the dog of the person who gave it this person while driving his dog to a temporary care taker before going to vacation. The scents are old. Infact, I can still smell the scent of my jacket from the clothing shop where I left it for a while, 2 weeks ago.

Attending the present to deal with the past, it opens your awareness in unexpected places. If the taste of her lips are like the end of a gun barrel, it is time to wake up.

Edited by Everything

Very good, Everything,

You have an excellent sense of smell. The only problem is, you don't have a clue about how to use it for anything good or enjoyable.

Your remark about lips tasting like a gun barrel makes me think that you are suicidal: bored with yourself and your situation.

Instead of asking yourself what you can do change your situation you search the net and ask questions while you think of the most recent pleasures that spring to mind related consumption or fornication.

As you said, it's time to wake up.

It's time to turn off the computer, get rid of that gun which by now is more of liability to you than a means of protection, turn off the tv and computer and go outside and experience life.

Force yourself to take a daily walk until you remember what joy and pleasure in the little things is. My guess is that your feet will get sore before you find the answer, but do persist. Buy new shoes if the old ones get too trotten - make this your daily habit and walk as much as time permits given your must-do chores.

Good luck with finding your center. You are so close to it, yet so far away from it.

Very good, Everything,

You have an excellent sense of smell. The only problem is, you don't have a clue about how to use it for anything good or enjoyable.

Your remark about lips tasting like a gun barrel makes me think that you are suicidal: bored with yourself and your situation.

Instead of asking yourself what you can do change your situation you search the net and ask questions while you think of the most recent pleasures that spring to mind related consumption or fornication.

As you said, it's time to wake up.

It's time to turn off the computer, get rid of that gun which by now is more of liability to you than a means of protection, turn off the tv and computer and go outside and experience life.

Force yourself to take a daily walk until you remember what joy and pleasure in the little things is. My guess is that your feet will get sore before you find the answer, but do persist. Buy new shoes if the old ones get too trotten - make this your daily habit and walk as much as time permits given your must-do chores.

Good luck with finding your center. You are so close to it, yet so far away from it.

The taste of metal in dreams.

I am content in the wandering of these mysteries, thus I don't even own or need a gun.

If someone shot me, the experience would simply be more valuable then when I shot him. My violence is passive, yet equally powerful.

Another misconception is that I live in time, or live with abstractions such as close or far. These do not even enter my mind.

Our situation on this earth, seems strange.

Everyone appears here involuntarily and uninvited,

for a short stay,

without knowing why.

To me it is enough to wonder,

At the secrets...

Edited by Everything

Sign in to follow this