leopoldson

YMAA qigong material

Hello all,

Has anyone tested Dr Yang Jwing Ming qigong material long enough to offer a fair review or testimonial?

If yes, I would be interested in hearing what one's experience is.

Thanks,

Leopoldson

Hello all,

Has anyone tested Dr Yang Jwing Ming qigong material long enough to offer a fair review or testimonial?

Thanks,

Leopoldson

I practiced nothing but YMAA qigong for my first six years of training.

Siji gong - four season qigong

Baduanjin - 8 pieces of brocade

Taiji qigong

Classical Yang taiji

White crane soft qigong

Five animals qigong

I would say it is very good for your spine, and body conditioning, and does balance your chi. It isn't very energetic though, it's not like Spring forest or yigong.

Edited by bamboo

I practiced nothing but YMAA qigong for my first 6 years of training.

Great! And could you share your opinion about it..? I understood that you are now on a different path...

Hello all,

Thanks,

Leopoldson

I started digging at YMAA material in 2004. The curriculum is good, but it is still a matter of what are you looking for? His stuff is a little more martial arts centered, although the Embryonic Breathing I learned from his material has been absolutely invaluable to me. The massage material is excellent, as is 8 brocades and the small circulation material.

Cant speak highly enough of the EB material; imho it should be on the shelf of anyone who meditates :)

YMAA probably is where I learned about half of my practice. I do the 8 brocades daily, as well as MCO and dan tien abdominal breathing, all of which I learned from Dr. Yang's material. Its been very beneficial to me. :-)

Great! And could you share your opinion about it..?

:huh: I just did....I would say it is very good for the health of your spine, and body conditioning, and does balance your chi. It isn't very energetic though.

Edited by bamboo

Hi Joeblast,dmattwads,bamboo,

Thanks for your answers!

I went to YMAA forum but I didn't find much reviews ( but saw Joeblast was quite active there! :lol: ).

I will consider buying EB material.

all the best,

Leopoldson

:lol: well, the forum's not very active, definitely not like here. since it was my first exposure to the subject I just stuck around the qigong section there to help make it appear a little more active :) Edited by joeblast

That's just fine since your contributions tend to add more substance and color into the one-line-style answers of most of the people out there. :lol:

Keep up the good work!

:lol: well, the forum's not very active, definitely not like here. since it was my first exposure to the subject I just stuck around the qigong section there to help make it appear a little more active :)

dvds> 5 animal sports,xingyiquan, tai chi chuan classical form, push hands 3 &4.

small circulation, martial arts breathing.

books> xingyiquan,bgz theory and applications, adv yang style TCC theory and jing,

adv yang style 37 martial postures.

i would like to find the original chi kung book B)

IMO YJM will not lead you astray. i do think the 5 animal sports is a little weak.

all of the books are treasure :D

his raw silk uniforms are nice too

I started digging at YMAA material in 2004. The curriculum is good, but it is still a matter of what are you looking for? His stuff is a little more martial arts centered, although the Embryonic Breathing I learned from his material has been absolutely invaluable to me. The massage material is excellent, as is 8 brocades and the small circulation material.

Cant speak highly enough of the EB material; imho it should be on the shelf of anyone who meditates :)

Fully Agree with this. Not Often it is I agree with someone this much on something.

The Embryonic Breathing I learned from his material has been absolutely invaluable to me

I while have not really explored his other works (I have enjoyed the books I have read) I agree that Qigong Meditation: Embryonic Breathing is excellent. There was a thread on it here too somewhere...

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/13755-embryonic-breathing/page__view__findpost__p__177553

Hi Mal,

Thanks your opinion and the thread, it helps!

Leopoldson

I while have not really explored his other works (I have enjoyed the books I have read) I agree that Qigong Meditation: Embryonic Breathing is excellent. There was a thread on it here too somewhere...

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/13755-embryonic-breathing/page__view__findpost__p__177553

Thanks Zerostao and Neichuan,

Actually,the 5 animals trailer gave me the impression that it was more an external workout than an internal one.

I will definitely go for the EB book.

dvds> 5 animal sports,xingyiquan, tai chi chuan classical form, push hands 3 &4.

small circulation, martial arts breathing.

books> xingyiquan,bgz theory and applications, adv yang style TCC theory and jing,

adv yang style 37 martial postures.

i would like to find the original chi kung book B)

IMO YJM will not lead you astray. i do think the 5 animal sports is a little weak.

all of the books are treasure :D

his raw silk uniforms are nice too

Thanks Zerostao and Neichuan,

Actually,the 5 animals trailer gave me the impression that it was more an external workout than an internal one.

I will definitely go for the EB book.

I actually have the 5 Animal Sports DVD from YMAA. While the movements are quite external, it definately has internal effects. I actually began to wonder as I was doing these movements how they could have an internal effect. What I realized was that they have an internal effect on the energy much in the same way that acupuncture/pressure uses phyical manipulation on the exerior of the body, to manipulate the internal energy. How does acpuncture work? I really don't know, but it does. How do these movements have a balancing effect on our internal energy/organs? I don't know either, but it does. The 5 Animal sports have been around in China for a very long time and have been proven again and again. I heard a story about a lady in Bejing who got cancer. She refused chemo and the more standard treatments, and ONLY did the 5 Animal Sports like 3 times a day for a few months. The next time she went to the Dr. no more cancer. :)

Hi dmattwads,

Thanks for your review of the Five animals play! This is very interesting.

Well, at some point, one has to choose what to practice, because, days have only 24h :( .

Leo

I actually have the 5 Animal Sports DVD from YMAA. While the movements are quite external, it definately has internal effects. I actually began to wonder as I was doing these movements how they could have an internal effect. What I realized was that they have an internal effect on the energy much in the same way that acupuncture/pressure uses phyical manipulation on the exerior of the body, to manipulate the internal energy. How does acpuncture work? I really don't know, but it does. How do these movements have a balancing effect on our internal energy/organs? I don't know either, but it does. The 5 Animal sports have been around in China for a very long time and have been proven again and again. I heard a story about a lady in Bejing who got cancer. She refused chemo and the more standard treatments, and ONLY did the 5 Animal Sports like 3 times a day for a few months. The next time she went to the Dr. no more cancer. :)

Hi dmattwads,

Thanks for your review of the Five animals play! This is very interesting.

Well, at some point, one has to choose what to practice, because, days have only 24h :( .

Leo

Yea no kidding, it took me a while to get my current routine that I have now, but "shop" around with various forms, and see how they resonate with you. Its a good way to decide what you want to make part of your practice. :)

the 5 animal (sports)frolics by Hua T'o is a truly remarkable set of health exercises.

especially for the organs and glands. i have the upmost respect for Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming. how i wish i was in miranda right now :) .

my opinion and expectations are so high of YJM that maybe i expected too much on this particular dvd. i dont regret buying it but there are many other versions of 5 animal

frolics available that are just as good.

If it makes sense to have a regret about something in my life, it would to be this: not being a real martial artist. I find Dr Yang's project very very beautiful. Have you seen his interview? I have respect for this:_/\_

youtube version+ text version

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5RRccIaE_U

-http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=887

Leo

i have the upmost respect for Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming. how i wish i was in miranda right now :) .

Hello all,

Thanks,

Leopoldson

i own a number of YJM's books, and i own all 6 of his Understanding Qigong DVD's. in my DVD collection i also own white crane, qigong massage, traditional yang style, and a few others from him.

i'm a big fan of his work. the sheer volume of quality information that he shares is amazing, and his materials have aided me a great deal as both a student and a teacher.

the book on Embryonic Breathing is FAR SUPERIOR to the DVD, and it's worth its weight in gold if you really take it in and not treat it as a pit stop on your way to more advanced practices. if done effectively, you don't even need to bother with the small circulation. those channels will handle themselves as a result of the rest of your practice.

if you don't have a live teacher, you want YJM's material, Ken Cohen's home study course, and the book Healing Promise of Qi. there's a lot more out there, of course, but many approaches contradict one another. these all flow pretty well together.

Chunyi Lin's Spring Forest Qigong, for instance, goes against TONS of more traditional teachings, so it might prove difficult to integrate with other stuff, even though i personally love SFQ.

i don't know. hope that helps a little.

• Like 2

Greetings..

I began training with Dr. Yang in 2002, he adjusted 15 years of misunderstanding QiGong and advanced much of my practice and understanding.. the Taiji Symbol/Diagram training, including the two person set is excellent.. Dr. Yang's Taiji Ball training is another whole dimension of the Taiji/QiGong experience.. and yes, Embryonic Breathingexpands the QiGong/Taiji experience exponentially.. Dr. Yang is an excellent teacher with a gift for actually transmitting the knowledge through experience.. as you might suspect, i highly recommend most of his material..

Be well..

Edited by TzuJanLi
  • Like 1

Hi Hundun,TzuJanLi,

Thanks a lot for putting in some perspective Dr Yang's material and teaching.

It helps a lot.

Blessings to you friends,

Leo