FT88

Kwai Chang Caine: Kung-fu

Hey TB's. I dont know how many of you have seen the 70's tv show "Kung-fu" with David Caradie(RIP) but i recently finished watching all three season and i must say it is very relevant, for tao in real life. The show is based on a half chinese/white boy named kwai chang caine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwai_Chang_Caine who studied as a shaolin monk. Here are a few samples of wisdom he recieves from his masters along the path.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFJkhV5l5JU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THqSurkgb8c&feature=related

Edited by FT88

Being a Child in the 70's I got this in real time. What a great time to be a kid!

Later in life I learned Lee Jun Fan (Bruce Lee) had been cast for the role and denied because of his asian-ness ( ! )

We have come a long way, now the Green Hornet is a major motion picture!

I remember a seminar where a Warner exec talked about when they were casting for Martial Law

they had asked if he could get a "real asian".

Sammo Hung did the role.

Thanks for the memories

This show changed the life on an entire generation. I was 12-15 as the show originally aired and it was the first introduction to Asian thought for millions of people, and for kids, it was a glimpse of a healthy alternative to the spectacle of Vietnam, Watergate, and suburban sleepwalking. The first season had the richest amount of philosophical content, and then writers started depending on more action and less Taoism. Everyone involved in the production was ready for it to end by the third season.

I'm in a hotel this week for a conference and so have had the teevee on some while hanging out. It's been awhile since I watched any teevee, and man, it is one depressing piece of shite collossal waste on every level. I wish there still was stuff of this quality to watch now. The only good thing I could find to watch was the big Dog Show in NY this week. It's sad and frustrating.

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

I'm in a hotel this week for a conference and so have had the teevee on some while hanging out. It's been awhile since I watched any teevee, and man, it is one depressing piece of shite collossal waste on every level. I wish there still was stuff of this quality to watch now. The only good thing I could find to watch was the big Dog Show in NY this week. It's sad and frustrating.

Thank goodness for the TTB :ninja: I think there is even a new thread saying so.

Kung Fu , Green Hornet paved the way.

Agreed but sometimes you stumble on some interesting shows... i personally like a show called "survivor man" where a guy simply survives in baren landscapes by himself.

Survives? Ha ha. And a camera crew, I think.

Survivorman does go it alone, he carries the cameras along with him. It is the Man vs. Wild guy who has the camera crew and stays in hotels while shooting overnight.

Carradine was a conflicted soul-- battled his own demons. Once, he was fished out of a tree while high. But his Kung Fu show was good, I even enjoyed KF: The Legend Continues. The show changed his personal views and practices, which I think he wrote about in "Spirit of Shaolin".

Strange about his death, though... I think Thai ladyboys murdered him for money. Maybe mobsters.

Perhaps it wasn't the show or script

that changed his view perhaps

it was something slightly more

mysterious

The first season they used Judo. I think it was the second season they brought this guy (kam yuen) http://www.shaolinlomita.com/masters.htm#kam on as an actual technical advisor.

Interestingly enough, his teacher was none other than 'wong jack man', the guy who tried to fight Bruce Lee.

Strange about his death, though... I think Thai ladyboys murdered him for money. Maybe mobsters.

I'm surprised he didn't use his infamous and deadly 'David Carradines kung fu work out' style on them. It certainly strikes fear into my very own soul. They must have brought in some ladyboy back up when he started saying "..and stretch two, three, four, kung fu kick two, three, four....)

Edited by Ninpo-me-this-ninjutsu-me-that