Marblehead

[TTC Study] Chapter 24 of the Tao Teh Ching

What a nice straightforward chapter.

I think it's basically saying: Never let 'em see you coming.

The person who needs to shout their knowledge, who wants to make himself out to be more than he is (by standing on tiptoe and trying to raise stature) is not on solid ground, by virtue of the fact that he is, after all, standing on his tiptoes.

One who shows himself off does not become prominent. The Tao is a thing of Attraction, not Promotion. We strive to become beings of attraction, without the need to show off our knowledge.

The Sage has do-nothing woven into his soul. Not in a lazy manner; but in a manner where he waits for dynamics to show themselves well enough to see what the problem actually is. This small chapter seems to be giving us a template for the Sage posture, or at least a clue to our destination.

What a nice straightforward chapter.

Yep.

I see it also as teaching humility.

I like the 'standing on tip-toe' a lot because it pictures how easy it is for us to lose our balance in that position although Henricks' translation is likely more accurate. But then, Chuang Tzu used the term too so it's really hard to tell.

Nice chapter, and nice posts Manitou and Marblehead :)

Indeed, humility yet IMO also temperance and moderation are important takeaways on this one. I am always stunned at how good the TTC is at painting a picture of the importance on balance on so many fronts that it eventually draws a complete and coherent picture of harmony.

Nice chapter, and nice posts Manitou and Marblehead :)

Indeed, humility yet IMO also temperance and moderation are important takeaways on this one. I am always stunned at how good the TTC is at painting a picture of the importance on balance on so many fronts that it eventually draws a complete and coherent picture of harmony.

Yep. Travel the main path. (Hehehe. Although I do enjoy testing the side paths now and then.)

Yep. Travel the main path. (Hehehe. Although I do enjoy testing the side paths now and then.)

Indeed Marblehead,

How could one possibly know that one is treading the path if one never knew the meaning of being lost? :D

• Like 1

agreed...nice simple chapter. thanks for the posts and commentaries, folks. it's nice to come here and read after a long day of stress! thanks again...

With respect to the Way, these are:

Excess food and wasteful effort,

These are things which all deplore.

When united with the Way [you will] avoid these

An acceptable translation in my opinion.

To my understanding this is still speaking to the concepts of 'wu wei' (wasteful efforts) and 'knowing when we have enough' (excess food).

In his book Nine Nights with the Taoist Master, Waysun Liao frames this chapter as an answer to the Prince's question "If I try very hard to reach Tao, can I get it?"

In the story Lao Tzu replies "No. Your are trying to 'get'. You are not letting Tao enter you. It is as if you try to stand on your toes and are not steady."

Waysun Liao's Chapter 24:

"One will fail to stand on ony his toes.

One can't walk if he tries to hop.

He who tries to make himself stand out will not be visible.

He who is self-righteous will not earn respect.

He who boasts of himself will get nothing.

He who brags will not lead.

Extra effort to reach Tao is like extra food and unnecessary luggage.

The Saint avoids self-effort."

Edited by cheya

In his book Nine Nights with the Taoist Master, Waysun Liao frames this chapter as an answer to the Prince's question "If I try very hard to reach Tao, can I get it?"

In the story Lao Tzu replies "No. Your are trying to 'get'. You are not letting Tao enter you. It is as if you try to stand on your toes and are not steady."

Yes, I do agree with this. Tao (the Way) is not something we can acquire. We must just live the life of the Way and Tao will find us.

I love the expression "If we cast too hard, we scare the fish away".

Yep. And funny, I found this out about some women too. (An old song, forget artist, words say "You're pushing too hard.")

Edited by Marblehead

Yep. And funny, I found this out about some women too. (An old song, forget artist, words say "You're pushing too hard.")

The Doors, maybe? I don't think so but it had the same sound.

You're pushing too hard, you're pushing too hard, you're pushing too hard...for me.

I remember it well, old man.

The Doors, maybe? I don't think so but it had the same sound.

You're pushing too hard, you're pushing too hard, you're pushing too hard...for me.

I remember it well, old man.

Yep, that's the one but I don't think it was the Doors.

Okay. I had to do a search.

It was The Seeds: