Non

just meditating on dan-tien does nothing?

One thing to remember is that the three dan-tian are centers of awareness. There are actual energetic centers in these places that act as anchors for awareness.

Seems simple but i find when meditation is practiced with this in mind it really comes alive.

Hope this helps somewhat

oh and no i can't elaborate you have to feel it..which you will if remain relaxed and mindful.

Ed

One thing to remember is that the three dan-tian are centers of awareness. There are actual energetic centers in these places that act as anchors for awareness.

Seems simple but i find when meditation is practiced with this in mind it really comes alive.

Hope this helps somewhat

oh and no i can't elaborate you have to feel it..which you will if remain relaxed and mindful.

Ed

Wow. Did you actually understand this by yourself or somebody taught you that? I'm seriously interested in this.

Thank you.

Orb, Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not :) but i found it by myself to be honest. Found it happened naturally while lower dan-tian breathing walking down the street, it suddenly became fixed and i was free to observe everything without the usual foggy mind.

A similar thing happened during contemplative prayer, but in the heart centre.

Hope this helps....if you were being sarcastic because i said something really obvious then no worries, i'm like all of us still learning :)

peace

Ed

Orb, Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not :) but i found it by myself to be honest. Found it happened naturally while lower dan-tian breathing walking down the street, it suddenly became fixed and i was free to observe everything without the usual foggy mind.

A similar thing happened during contemplative prayer, but in the heart centre.

Hope this helps....if you were being sarcastic because i said something really obvious then no worries, i'm like all of us still learning :)

peace

Ed

Hi Ed,

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I am very interested in what you are saying. And yes you are saying an obvious thing but that's a very good thing. For some reason we are not taught to see the obvious but we are taught fantastic stories about our existence and instead of us just observing what it is in front of us using our own perception mechanism we look for a teaching or a teacher to tell us what is in front of us.

I think that's what you did, you just dared to open your eyes and see for yourself what exactly is out there....

Do you follow a certain system or school ? If you don't mind sharing of course...

Edited by orb

Hi Orb,

Thanks for your kind words...is encouraging :)

No i don't follow a certain school, i just learnt to meditate from books and a class or two. I just took it very seriously for a good few years which combined with having a lot of spare time then lead to some insights.

Also used to practice zhan zhuang standing from master lam way of energy for a while with equal effort as the meditation...i think that is what lead to a lot of things.

I'm actually a christian, but not a typical one :)

Interesting what you say about having a teacher, i've wanted one, but only to learn methods, not to be told what to believe etc.

Cheers Orb!

Ed

Hi Ed,

Would you mind telling a bit more about the way you conciliate your faith with these oriental practices?

Because as for me, I just couldn't, I had the feeling I had to choose.

Leopoldson

Hi Leopoldson,

Well one is a practice, one is a belief system. But i had a belief before i started meditating that God was within. I meditated with this in mind and i guess developed my own beliefs from what i found within.

I only became a baptised Christian 3 yrs ago. I meditated for around ten years, so practice came before hand.

I don't see what in the new testement clashes with meditation or belief God is within. Jesus said in it, the kingdom of God is within and without...then you have the lords prayer which starts "our Father who art in heaven" and kingdom of God is heaven, so.... seems pretty clear to me.

I could go on quoting but it comes down to interpretation. Who is to say the church is giving the right interpretation when the inner/esoteric was kept for the apostles and only parables for the public. I assume that rule is sill valid, so... we are not given the inner teaching.

Sorry if i have not been very clear...

Ed

Thanks Ed,

What is of the utmost importance in your case is that practice came before belief. I was raised Christian so it's another story.

That's the reason why, I choose to set aside all my belief system and see for myself what is true or not for me. So far, I have not encountered the God within, but perhaps, He is looking for me patiently. Who knows what will happen?

Thanks a lot.

Leopoldson

Hi Leopoldson,

Well one is a practice, one is a belief system. But i had a belief before i started meditating that God was within. I meditated with this in mind and i guess developed my own beliefs from what i found within.

I only became a baptised Christian 3 yrs ago. I meditated for around ten years, so practice came before hand.

I don't see what in the new testement clashes with meditation or belief God is within. Jesus said in it, the kingdom of God is within and without...then you have the lords prayer which starts "our Father who art in heaven" and kingdom of God is heaven, so.... seems pretty clear to me.

I could go on quoting but it comes down to interpretation. Who is to say the church is giving the right interpretation when the inner/esoteric was kept for the apostles and only parables for the public. I assume that rule is sill valid, so... we are not given the inner teaching.

Sorry if i have not been very clear...

Ed

Leopoldson,

I can't see anything wrong with wanting to find the truth for yourself.... after all, from a religious perspective God loves the seekers of truth. From a common sense perspective what can be more noble than searching for the truth. It is the path of honesty :)

If you ever feel like you want to see if Christianity is valid for you, take buddha's advice and test it out. Meditate on the 10 commandments, what are the benefits from the perspective of your life experience etc.. same with the rest of the NT.

If you want to gain a sense of God within, just be grateful for what is in front of you and respect that it can be taken from you in an instant, we are not 100% in control of our lives. Have that in mind when doing your sitting practice.

anyway, dont want to start coming over as preachy, ooops! :)

all the best

Ed

I don't think Qigong practice conflicts with any belief system or the lack there of. In fact one of the things that drew me to Qigong was because it was NOT a religion. I had recently gotten out of extreme fundamentalist Christianity and was rather turned off to religion of any form what so ever. I saw that Qigong was a practice, not a faith which actually drew me to it.

There is nothing about Qigong which would be incompatible with Christianity. There is no praying involved, no worship, no belief systems that contradict Christian doctrine, so its fine in that realm. On the other hand it is good for your health and that is a pro-Chrisitan aspect as Christianity considers the body the temple of the Holy Ghost. Balancing your chi helps one to live more virtuously which is a plus in just about any religion ;-).

Hi Edward,

I am just fine with your preaching, I understand what you are saying.

That sounds good.

Hi dmattwads,

Yes, that's it, the body is the temple of the Holy Ghost. Too bad this aspect is mainly an intellectual statement in mainstream christianity!

Leopoldson

Hi Edward,

That sounds good.

Hi dmattwads,

Yes, that's it, the body is the temple of the Holy Ghost. Too bad this aspect is mainly an intellectual statement in mainstream christianity!

Leopoldson

Too bad a lot of the great things Jesus taught are just head knowledge in mainstream christianity :-/

I guess it depends on your mindset. I've taken no classes and I was meditating on the lower dan-tien and I saw a huge green screen with red streaks(like a really fast hallucination)...would've made a wonderful painting. I can also feel this pressure building there when I meditate on it. I haven't lately because I've been practicing vipassana.

I've been really meditating on the dan-tien everyday and it just doesn't seem to be doing anything special. Going to meditating classes though it seems to work really well when the teacher first tells you to open up the crown and get qi from the heavens and then root and get qi from the earth. But just focusing on the dan-tien by itself does nothing but relax the belly...

You do have an energy center there but no "dan tian - field of elixer". The cultivation of dan tian is at the core of Neigong. The problem is that it does take a very long time to create on one's own. Somewhere between 6 to 10 years depending on how much time is put in,; but of course this is possible in less time if one puts in all day everyday cultivation.

Most Neigong methods have a way of shortening this time process through use of technique and/or through use of direct energetics by the teacher. In Stillness-Movement Neigong this is done by the Teacher actually creating this field then the student going home and building on it. This significantly changes the amount of time to where the student can actually manipulate energy. In our workshops the student is able to manipulate qi and actually achieve typically between 70 to 100 percent result in eliminating pain of someone else after only 2 days of cultivation. No needles needed.

"Meditating on Dan Tian does nothing" is not true - it is only that to really progress in a significantly shorter time period a real Teacher is needed.

• Like 4

Wrong.

wrong.

wrong.

Meditation on dantien is THE building block for anything that you will be attempting to do, and yes things do happen as you continue the meditation.

Stop thinking about where, how, why etc. The point here is to not find dantien, but to have dantien find you. When you have energy there, you will know it beyond all doubt.

As your energy builds within dantien, you will be able to feel something very, very, special there. Something overt, and not something you have to look around for. It will increase in intensity to the point where even when you don't meditate you still feel it. I won't tell you what it feels like. Best to find out yourself.

Really, the trick is to learn to love your meditation, and to not expect results. when you find yourself always looking forward to spending more time harnessing dantien, that is the time when you will start to notice things.

Tip: when you do the meditation, make sure you breathe deeply, and properly. if your breath does not "touch" dantien, then do not expect to accumulate energy.

Edited by Kali Yuga
  • Like 4

This feeling your dan tien even when your not meditating you speak of.... I've noticed that when this happens to me, that girls get way more flirty ;-)

This feeling your dan tien even when your not meditating you speak of.... I've noticed that when this happens to me, that girls get way more flirty ;-)

I've noticed that as well. Pumping jing from the sex center/kidneys into the dan (also sending down fire and wind from above) helps too. :)

Hi Edward,

That sounds good.

Hi dmattwads,

Leopoldson

One thing I like about qigong is that for example in Christianity I feel that some of the teachings are pretty good, yet they tell you what would be a good thing to do, but don't really tell you how to do it. I've found that qigong helps you to apply good principles to your life.

Yes, exactly! That's the very reason I was driven towards oriental teachings, they are most of time 100% practical!

One thing I like about qigong is that for example in Christianity I feel that some of the teachings are pretty good, yet they tell you what would be a good thing to do, but don't really tell you how to do it. I've found that qigong helps you to apply good principles to your life.

Hope this helps somewhat

Ed

3 dantiens breathing *thumbsup* natural extension from lower dantien breathing, its the basis for firing up the dynamo!

JoeBlast, thanks for the thumbs up dude! it's a good thing to be able to do for sure.... was trying to say to non that he should just try to focus on the dan-tian in that way.

Cannot focus on all three now myself, got a chronic upper dan-tian blockage. Going to see a shamanic practitioner to do some healing work. I'd like to be able to sort it out myself, but too many issues to deal with right now and it just gets worse...

ps, we have spoken on ymaa forum before, i started a thread about schizophrenics doing qigong. Was a good few years ago now :)

peace bro!

Ed

Edited by Edward M

Hi Kali Yuga. Good information. I am curious about your path and how long it took your lower dantien to find you. :)

What I have been noticing in my own practice, formal and informal, is that the simplest and best way to "charge the battery" of the dantien is to not pressure, or put much effort into, the lower belly breathing. Once one can relax and sink into the embryonic compressing movement, it is incredible how the dantien can fire up. Naturally, the embryonic breath can pour over and cycle into reverse breathing. Without the specific intention of the practitioner.

So cool. B)

Hm I've experienced this same thing. Think I started a thread on something similar.