Non

just meditating on dan-tien does nothing?

I've been really meditating on the dan-tien everyday and it just doesn't seem to be doing anything special. Going to meditating classes though it seems to work really well when the teacher first tells you to open up the crown and get qi from the heavens and then root and get qi from the earth. But just focusing on the dan-tien by itself does nothing but relax the belly...

I've been really meditating on the dan-tien everyday and it just doesn't seem to be doing anything special. Going to meditating classes though it seems to work really well when the teacher first tells you to open up the crown and get qi from the heavens and then root and get qi from the earth. But just focusing on the dan-tien by itself does nothing but relax the belly...

Breathing with your lower abdomen and focusing on your dan tien does bring energy there. Infact breathing with your lower abdomen focuses energy there normally.

There are just ways to focus the energy towards the dan tien more. Like full lotus. Not completely sure why, but in half and full lotus the energy naturally focuses more then normal amounts of energy to the dan tien. I Feel a gigantic difference in meditating in full lotus, rather then my legs just over lapping. Im starting to believe your attention on the dan tien doesn't exactly have to be present when meditating in full lotus.

So yes focusing on the dan tien brings energy there, as does breathing with your lower abdomen. There are ways to focus the energy more heavily on the dan tien though.

I suggest meditating in full lotus.

Edited by NeiChuan
  • Like 1

The point of meditation is to do nothing and if you really can do nothing then you are quite advanced :)

But on a basic level awareness of dan tien will move energy downward away from the head and the downward movement of energy towards the earth is the healing path

• Like 4

one of the qualities of the energy that comes through a Tan Tien is 'non local'

meaning no specific point of reference and so, no location. A clear lead

to experiencing directly that energy is 'feeling sense' Not sensing with the mind or the lower body, but the feeling ability of the heart. Feeling ability of the heart center establishes full states of being where every cell reaches the same tone and strong emotional current become permanent memory. Remembering the feeling of the energy of Tao that come out of or though the tan Tien is useful to developing continuity with them. Each Tan Tien also has it's own specific cadence like a deep reservoir of compassion, knowing, instinct.

Guest sykkelpump

its a difficult way to meditate,especially if your chasnnels not already are open to a certain degree.better try mantra or breath meditation.but breath meditation are so much confusing about s I would go with mantra.it will open your nervous system,here is a good mantra instruction http://www.aypsite.org/13.html

The YMAA embryonic breathing material is awesome for this.

Are you simply placing your awareness there, or are you doing something a little more constructive?

Investigate the interaction of physical mechanisms, get a feel for how each motion contributes towards the overall power generation - i.e. make the motions coherent and the energy will constructively amplify. If you dont smooth out the motion and make the different motions in resonance, in coherence with your focus on the dantien, then you will necessarily have a lesser level of efficacy in the practice.

You can break it up into parts to investigate a certain motion more, and each can be its own meditation if you choose, but if you put in a little time working on them then when you bring them together it is more potent. Just like with bone breathing, you do a finger, a toe first before doing the whole hand, foot. Focus on just your abdomen in and out and generate a mental "dyno chart" graphical representation of what points in the motion wind up culminating in more energetic input. (Think wave mechanics.) Then do the same with the perineum, diaphragm, back (quadratus lumborum), and sides....each will have its own range of motion and its own "power curve" - its up to you to find out what those curves are and combine them so that the peak generation areas are coincident - focus that on your dantien over a number of sessions for a month, and then tell us how you're doing :)

When I combined those concepts with a gradual lengthening of the breath, it took me a month or two to feel like I was glowing, you can just feel it all radiate, esp once you eliminate all of the turbulence in your air passageways - it doesnt even feel like you're breathing then! If you're concerned about the world crashing, this is a great way to supplement your body's energetic needs with a little electromagnetic energy, if electrochemical means become scarce ;)

• Like 1

What JoeBlast said :D

Non, it takes time and patience. You get results slowly over time.

If you feel the need to speed things along try burning some moxi

over your tantien. It may help with some of your other concerns too. ;)

The beginning stage is probably the hardest part..

N00bs are often blocked, have little energy and aren't very sensitive. Therefore, it may be a while before they feel anything... As these aspects all improve - they will slowly feel more.

But, it's sort of a Catch-22 like getting your first job. You need experience to get your first job, yet how do you get experience before you get your first job? :lol:

Yet, people eventually all still get jobs somehow!

Edited by vortex
  • Like 1

Hey Non

I think I can relate to your frustration. I was told once before that for emotional balance to just meditate on your lower dan tien also. But since I was feeling very bad emotionally, this was definately not fast enough for me.

I get much more direct and fast results in the emotional arena from using the inner smile and healing sounds. You can target each organ, and/or specifically focus on a specific issues that happens to be bothering you. The effect is much more direct, and the results of much faster. ;-)

It takes 81 hours of real meditation. Which most people actually achieve for only a small % of the time that they are attempting meditation.

Therefore, this can take 1-5 years if you practice several hours per day. Or 10 years if you practice only 1 hr/day. Keep in mind that you should ideally be celibate during this time too.

IOW, the vast majority of people out there will NEVER attain even this (at least in this lifetime).

"John Chang" can also personally determine your dantian fullness with his sensing ability. Otherwise, I'm not sure what other reliable method there is?

most cultivators really dont understand dantian training. you can not reach all the potential by just meditating on that spot alone. you must be attuned to it.

when you have corretly connected to your dan tian you are saying that you are connected to your original life energy the very energy center of your whole being. Then you should have next to unlimited energy in your daily life. what most cultivators speak about is feeling warmness and a sense of well being when they dan tian train.

but there is so much more to it. (the above cases are just people feeling the residual energy from focusing on that spot.)

when you connect to the real living spinning energy ball and wake it up and become one with it you will have very powerful, strong, and radiant energy all the time.

please understand and look for this truth when training your dan tian.

You dont just simply "connect" to it however. The most basic beginning dantien exercise in my lineage will only allow you to locate your dantien and feel the flow of your natural chi. I would call that a connection. However, performing that exercise over and over doesnt do any good.

This doesnt allow for you to have powerful energy all the time, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

This is of course my own uneducated opinion but here it goes.

You have 2 main types of cultivation. 1 is based on healing the body and the other is based on advancing the human beyond our first stage. An example of healing would be Xing Shen Zhuang or even simple tai chi flowing exercises. The second type would be anything that deals with compressing one of the 3 treasures and turning it into the next form.

Real power comes from compression training, whether you compress in the dantien or the bones, you need compression. I'm not saying that you cant develop a fair amount of energy from constant practice but the bottom line is that you need to cook it.

A few things that will bring power Gtummo, Tenaga Dalam, Neigong similar to Mo Pai, Internal Tai Chi and then whatever you'd classify Liping's system as, all of those can and will bring about alot of energy. As to the safety of those? A good teacher is the best safety net but I'd say train in Tenaga Dalam, Tai Chi or Liping's system.

Dont be confused when I say tai chi. Alot of tai chi is just an empty shell of what was once a powerful, yet safe and effective way to build internal power. However, this power , IMO, isnt solely martial...scratch that, this is for another thread.

I guess when it comes to it, I dont really know anything.

Excuse the rambling

http://www.thetaobum..._1entry198962 :D

And my inspiration for the thread :):D:lol: should put a smile on all faces!!!

Ok I SAW IT HAPPEN.....I was asked to keep it secret but I think you should know....

So JC was minding his own business, just happily playing poker in Vegas, by chance Tyson was on the same table.

JC obviously was winning, REAL BAD too, poor tyson had lost 1Million in this game. Tyson had noticed how well JC chose his moves, too well that is, as if he could read the other players cards.

Tyson got up to leave the table, but couldn't help but ask with his funny voice "You psychic or something man?!"

JC defensively snapped back at him with lightning in his eyes "You accuse me of cheating!?". Tyson was scared, knew something was different about this man, but the whole table was looking at them, and theres no way tyson can lose face like this, so he told JC "lets take it outside little man, I ll eat you alive".

JC slowly got up, looked tyson in the eyes and said "you dont knw who you mess with, bitch" zapping tysons ass with some chi, causing tyson to jump up. Tysons sudden movement sent his bodyguard into fight mode. They jumped him all at once, all 3 of them, but before they could get close to him they were repelled right back. Now tyson was spooked, his fear sent him into fight or flight mode, he should ve have chosen flight. JC played with him like a cat plays with a mouse, Tyson didnt know what to do so he charged jaw wide open right for JCs ear. He bit it, and bit down hard, you could hear the sound of his teeth braking as JC used his Iron Ear technique.

Tyson now exhausted and with more broken teeth than hes had through a lifetime of boxing decided to cut his losses, he looked at JC and asked "what are you?" Jc picked up his winnings from the table and slowly raised his head to look at Tyson "I am John Chang, level 52 master of Mo Pai, and your dantian is 2% full". He then simply picked up and left, leaving Tyson to wonder what all his training had been for, if he cannot even scratch a short little man half his size.

Thats it, That is what happened. I know it sounds unbelievable, but thats the truth.

• Like 2

I think you're best off to find a good practice and be patient. It's kinda like the old story of the master and the student. The master says 'practice this for 10 years and you'll attain it'! The student says 'but what if I practice twice as hard'... master replies 'it'll take 20 years'.

Developing your lower and upper dan tiens have different requirements, you don't need to open your crown or upper energy centers to develop the lower dan tien; imo it's best to work on that stuff after you've developed the lower dan tien. That's not to say you can't do them all at once or that you shouldn't, just referring to what worked better for my body. I think posting/qigong and learning to 'return tiger to mountain' (to return your chi to your lower dan tien) is an excellent practice. Learning to breathe into your dan tien is important too, eventually you can learn to breathe both into your lower dan tien as well as your back (kidneys). Mine kicks like a baby at times, heat can instantly be generated in the lower dan tien with little intention... it WILL develop for you!

As for practical suggestions; perhaps just work on your breathing and meditation. Forget the visualizations at this point and work on the simple things; you can develop your lower dan tien without the visualizations initially (as you advance you can learn other techniques like Hunglung Zhuang). Work on your posting and qi gong, get used to returning your qi to your lower dan tien; even if you cannot feel it you are still developing the dan tien! If you develop it you will feel it much more when certain energies start to activate in your body.

There's 1 perspective for ya :)

And that is why something like this is so confusing, because everyone and their dog knows the way to do it and its all different! ha ha :lol:

Don't think that sitting and navel gazing is going to do anything. You have to build dantian first. Find a teacher (a real one) and learn what they have to give, whether that involves dantian 'meditation' or not.

Best,

Please don't take offence but my impression is that you live in a chinese dream. First of all you don't have a good teacher. Cause if you had a good teacher you wouldn't ask things like this on a forum. Also your teacher doesn't have anything that you want. You might want to develop powers but your teachers doesn't have them, however he has stories and you believe them and that's how you are able to continue your practice.

Now the fact that you have a consistent practice is an accomplishment in itself, but you don't see it as such because you expect something different.

So now you finally started asking yourself some real questions like (WTF am I doing? or WTF do I really want?)

And you have 2 options:

1 you either wake up and stop wasting your time or

2 you can continue your dream or even borrow somebody else's dream from TTB - there are a lot of "dreamers" and teachers around here that are just as valuable as yours. And soon you'll find yourself talking about sensasions, 3rd eyes and heat in the belly and amazing orgasms over large distances.

• Like 1

just curious, there seems to be a little disagreement about the location of the dantian. this Yang Jwing-Ming guy says its in the middle, charles luk: "its location is more towards the back in proportion of 3 to 7, and i sometimes fantasize its in front

most practisers mean the lower dantian when saying this but you didnt specify so im asking: do you mean the lower elixir field? (according to common lore there are three, look http://combatbaguazhang.com/images/3dantian.jpg ) :*~

Edited by gj551

The YMAA embryonic breathing material is awesome for this.

Are you simply placing your awareness there, or are you doing something a little more constructive?

Investigate the interaction of physical mechanisms, get a feel for how each motion contributes towards the overall power generation - i.e. make the motions coherent and the energy will constructively amplify. If you dont smooth out the motion and make the different motions in resonance, in coherence with your focus on the dantien, then you will necessarily have a lesser level of efficacy in the practice.

You can break it up into parts to investigate a certain motion more, and each can be its own meditation if you choose, but if you put in a little time working on them then when you bring them together it is more potent. Just like with bone breathing, you do a finger, a toe first before doing the whole hand, foot. Focus on just your abdomen in and out and generate a mental "dyno chart" graphical representation of what points in the motion wind up culminating in more energetic input. (Think wave mechanics.) Then do the same with the perineum, diaphragm, back (quadratus lumborum), and sides....each will have its own range of motion and its own "power curve" - its up to you to find out what those curves are and combine them so that the peak generation areas are coincident - focus that on your dantien over a number of sessions for a month, and then tell us how you're doing :)

When I combined those concepts with a gradual lengthening of the breath, it took me a month or two to feel like I was glowing, you can just feel it all radiate, esp once you eliminate all of the turbulence in your air passageways - it doesnt even feel like you're breathing then! If you're concerned about the world crashing, this is a great way to supplement your body's energetic needs with a little electromagnetic energy, if electrochemical means become scarce ;)

Hey Joe

Doesn't Dr. Yang teach that dan tien breathing converts your essence into chi automatically?

yup, jingqishen is in all of his books that I've seen :) I didnt really address that, I was mostly going for the coherence of parts approach!

yup, jingqishen is in all of his books that I've seen :) I didnt really address that, I was mostly going for the coherence of parts approach!

Yea I know, this was for my own reference as I am curious about the various sublimation techniques and their effectiveness in relation to eachother.

So far the various techniques I've heard of are ...

1. Sitting in full lotus (if you can) from Drew Hemphil.

2. Mantak Chia's methods including testicle breathing, and big draw.

3. Lower dan tien meditation/breathing.

If anyone else knows of other methods for accomplishing this I'd be interested to hear. I'd also be curious to hear of the effetivness of the various methods in comparison to eachother? and personal experiences.

Hey Joe

Doesn't Dr. Yang teach that dan tien breathing converts your essence into chi automatically?

Hm im pretty sure since the microcosmic orbit is always running, that's why it's done.

But I'd imagine because the dan tien is on that circuit, it could be said that way too.

Maybe developing the dan tien will make the conversion of jing to chi much more efficient then normal.

Hm im pretty sure since the microcosmic orbit is always running, that's why it's done.

But I'd imagine because the dan tien is on that circuit, it could be said that way too.

Maybe developing the dan tien will make the conversion of jing to chi much more efficient then normal.

Hmmmm yea I'd like to know more about this...

all mindful practices will do JQS to a certain extent, even rock climbing B) of course, some particular methods are more efficient than others! I'd wager kunlun does a decent job of it :)

all mindful practices will do JQS to a certain extent

Yes, if one practice for eg zhan zhuang, eight pieces of brocades and after that sits for microcosmic orbit or just do sitting meditation, it will do it.

The important thing is to end with some meditative state to nourish the shen. That's what I've been told.

Yes, if one practice for eg zhan zhuang, eight pieces of brocades and after that sits for microcosmic orbit or just do sitting meditation, it will do it.

The important thing is to end with some meditative state to nourish the shen. That's what I've been told.

Well cool cause you pretty much outlined my practice just now lol.

Well cool cause you pretty much outlined my practice just now lol.

:lol:

Well, great!

If I can suggest a qigong set that -IMO- prepares and empowers greatly JQS, you may have a look at this one: http://www.wudanglongmen.com/wudang.html (you can also find it on amazon ).

Some people find it poorly done, but the content is worth it (good health,good heart,clearer mind). Just add a few repetitions more than what Sifu Liu Xiao Ling does for the demonstration. There is also a section about zhan zhuang and a massage section. He says nothing about sitting practices but you just have to add it at the end!