Ulises

The Experience of Awe

What I'm missing is more people trying to speak about the experience of awe - the encounter with the "Mysterium Tremendum et Fascinans" (Rudolf Otto),

http://www.bodysoulandspirit.net/mystical_experiences/learn/experts_define/otto.shtml

and that only can happen opening truly the heart to the terror and breathtaking wonder of being fully alive...: the ecstatic state is that, an vibratory oscillation between those two poles..

http://www.futureprimitive.org/2011/02/eliot-cowan-the-song-of-the-world/

perhaps it's time to expose ourselves to the contact with indigenous elders to awake our own ancestral roots through

soul resonance...

"What binds moderns together is usually a set of definitions; i.e. progress, the greater good, etc. What binds indigenous peoples together is direct intimacy with place, time and living being — trust, love, shared experience, intimacy, lineage, and mutual concern born of these and extensions of these — many of which cannot even be reasonably described within modern representational paradigms..."

http://www.ancientwisdomrising.com/

Edited by Ulises

But I don't want to experience any more 'shock and awe'. I had enough of that stuff during the Bush Administration in the United States of America.

But I don't want to experience any more 'shock and awe'. I had enough of that stuff during the Bush Administration in the United States of America.

The Bush administration was an "atrocity show", a death factory (J.G.Ballard), the opposite of awakening to the raw, ectatic experience of feeling fully alive in the middle of a magnificent Mystery..

• Like 1

The Bush administration was an "atrocity show", a death factory (J.G.Ballard), the opposite of awakening to the raw, ectatic experience of feeling fully alive in the middle of a magnificent Mystery..

You got that right!!!

It was in an environment much like the one in your second link that I experienced my first truely "awe" experience. As far as I could see I was the only human there and it was so (I won't say lonely) filled with solitude that I was able to see beyond what I could see. That was 'awe'full. (Full of awe.)

Edited by Marblehead

"The moment one gives close attention to anything, even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself." --Henry Miller

:lol:

I think you've hit on something really important. Children are so compelling to watch because they are easily awed in that delighted way, and if you see an adult who is enthusiastic or awed about something it is equally compelling, because we can share for a moment that joy, call it energy transfer or mirror neurons, call it sympathy. The jaded person who gets excited about nothing is conversely a drain to be around. I think we can actually tweak our own behavior to be more awed at things, even if its acting out in some sense, in another sense its not. Its reprogramming ones behavior to include awe, that joyful kind of awe. Kind of like the Tony Robbins in one of his books mentions to include words like amazing and incredible in your speech, and try to feel them, and it will catch on. The state of awe is closer to the Tao, one is humbled, ones ego is less, one experiences a state larger than themselves, and theres a joy involved.

• Like 1

I think you've hit on something really important. Children are so compelling to watch because they are easily awed in that delighted way, and if you see an adult who is enthusiastic or awed about something it is equally compelling, because we can share for a moment that joy, call it energy transfer or mirror neurons, call it sympathy. The jaded person who gets excited about nothing is conversely a drain to be around. I think we can actually tweak our own behavior to be more awed at things, even if its acting out in some sense, in another sense its not. Its reprogramming ones behavior to include awe, that joyful kind of awe. Kind of like the Tony Robbins in one of his books mentions to include words like amazing and incredible in your speech, and try to feel them, and it will catch on. The state of awe is closer to the Tao, one is humbled, ones ego is less, one experiences a state larger than themselves, and theres a joy involved.

Beautifully articulated, thanks