Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

A Great Idea

I have a great idea. What I mean to say is that I have an idea that is big! I want to share it with you, but before I can do that, I have to ask you to do a few things. First I want you to have an open mind, by that I mean I want you to set aside what you know right now and listen to what I am going to say without judging it based on what you believe, but rather judge it based on what you know.

To clarify this a bit more, I don't want you to base your judgement on things you'v learned in books or from other people, but rather from what you experience in your day to day life. If you can do that, then I think you'll be able to appreciate what I am going to share.

Let me begin by saying that if I hadn't learned a few things, I wouldn't have been able to understand what I understand today, but in the same way, if I hadn't been taught to believe the things I did, then I would've known what I know now all along. I spent two decades seeking enlightenment, the key to existence, the knowledge of good and evil, the ultimate truth, and what I came away with was an understanding that none of these things are real.

This is the real truth, that there is no truth. My experience was wrought with pain and pleasure, delusions and truths, all in the hopes that I would at some point understand something that would make life worth living. That's why we seek enlightenment or truth, to make some sense of it all, to add some type of value that we don't see. The fact is there is no value to life, except the value we give it. I searched for something to believe, thinking that somehow or some way, I would wake up one day and know the answer, but the truth is that the answer was there all along, hiding underneath the surface waiting to rise up and make itself aware.

This idea that I am sharing with you isn't enlightenment, at least not what you may want enlightenment to be, and I will make it clear now, just knowing what I am going to tell you wont change anything, rather it will require active participation on your part, you'll need to do something about it in order for you to really know what this idea is all about.

I've spoken before about this illusion that we carry, this idea of what we really are, what we are taught to believe we are. We are spiritual beings living in a physical vessel. We are drivers, rather than the vehicle. This is the first thing I had to understand to really get the idea that I'm sharing with you. Let me make this clear, you are not a driver, you are a vehicle. You are your body, your heart, your hair, fingernails, blood cells, and brain matter. You are all of this. If you are going to understand anything else I have to share, then you have to understand this first.

It's only after understanding what you truly are that you'll be able to understand anything else I have to share. In order to really see this world and your place in it, then you must see yourself as you truly are. Right now, if you touch your finger to your nose, you're are not driving your finger, you are your finger and your nose. You've moved to touch you. This idea, when you see it like this is amazing.

We see ourselves as separate from our body because it allows us to separate ourselves from our actions, to give us some distance from the responsibilities that we hold. It allows us to place blame on our bodies, rather than ourselves. It allows us to distance ourselves from our pain and say that this pain is not really a part of us, and we do this so well, that eventually we begin to see our emotions as separate from ourselves as well. We didn't really feel that way, rather it was that separate part of us that felt it. None of this is true. We feel and do everything we do.

Understanding this becomes a bit overwhelming, the initial joy one has understanding their true nature, suddenly comes with the knowledge that we are to blame for everything that we do. You say, I can't make anyone feel anyway that they don't choose to feel and suddenly realize that if you didn't do what you did, then that person never would've felt the way they did in the first place. You are no longer separate from your actions, you are every bit a part of your actions as you are your body.

But it doesn't stop there. We are not simply we's, but rather I's. A colony of cells form a body, and we form a body as well, we are not merely the entirety of the human race, but the entirety of existence. Every part at work in this universe is a part of us. I am as much a part of you as you are me. If I look at the way I interact with you and stop seeing it as you and me and instead begin to see it as what I am doing to me, then my actions are more than simply actions against some separate person, but to me.

When I look at your wellbeing as my wellbeing, then I can do something for you and understand I am doing it for me. I can love you and understand that I am loving me. That everything I do is for us as we really are. I can understand that love and compassion are not just lofty moral notions, but rather the intended way for me to behave towards you. Does this mean if you are hurting me, that I should allow you to hurt me? Absolutely not.

When cancerous cells start forming in the body, other cells start to fight those cells, because they are causing harm. In the same way if you harm me, or me you, then it's only natural for me to defend myself and you to defend yourself, the difference is recognizing you and me for what we truly are, because when we can do this, then our reactions are no longer based on moral precepts, but rather on the knowledge of what allows the body of everything to exist in harmony.

So if you're still following this, then I guess you might be interested in what's next. Well what is next? What do you think is next? If we are all It, as I like to call everything, then what does that mean? If that's all it takes to really become aware or enlightened, then what does that mean? Well it doesn't end there, because believing this isn't enough. You must know it, you must experience it with every breath you breathe, every action that you take, everything that you do must be seen as a part of It.

That's the hard part. We think that thinking about this is enough, but it isn't. It takes action to understand this on a deeper level, not only action in thought, but also in the way we interact with those around us. This is the fact, we will never be free of our ego-self, this idea of who we are that has been taught to us, because it has been made a part of us.

The tragedy is that we have sought a means of existence that is quite unnatural, that defies what we are supposed to be doing. In seeking to live a life separate from the natural world, one where we are not a part of the world, but rather can control the world, we have had to come up with a way to understand this new existence.

We no longer kill only what we can eat. We know longer pick berries from the bushes and pull up roots where they grow in nature, instead we herd animals together and plant food in straight lines, all for the sake of making life easier, but in making life easier, we have forgotten exactly what life is about.

Before we farmed, we could live spontaneously. We could make decisions based on the situations that presented themselves. The fact is, we did not end up the way because we made a conscious decision, but rather because a decision presented itself and we mistook it for something better than what was. We thought that an end to hunger and uncertainty was what was intended to be, not understanding that the hunger we felt, that the uncertainty in living was every bit a part of who we were. When the chances were taken away from us, when we stopped living according to the worlds rules and started to make up the rules for ourselves, what ended up happening was that we separated ourselves from that world and the only thing we could do from that point on was devise a way to live in this new world we created. We stopped communicating with one another and started speaking to one another. We stopped viewing ourselves as a family of one, and instead saw ourselves as citizens within a community. We stopped seeing the needs of everyone as being important and instead began to worry about our individual needs.

This isn't going to change. We are locked into this cycle of living. The only way we can work within society is to understand that we are ego-selves, that this ego-self was created out of necessity. Lao Tzu and Buddha tried to explain this and they actually did, but the problem was that not many people understood it, and perhaps you don't really understand it now. The simplest way to explain is to say that there is a natural way and then their is the way that happens when we stop living in accord with what's natural.

My great idea isn't to realize the truth about I, but that in understanding the truth of I, you begin to understand all of the things that you've been taught for what they really are. In understanding this you can begin to understand that all the things we think are important really aren't. Making money, buying i-pods, and watching television are not the meaning of existence, but rather ways we distract ourselves from existence.

I have said once or twice that there will never be world peace or an end to suffering, that as long as mankind is on the face of the earth, that these things can't exist, this is true. Yet, even knowing that this is true I know that my actions are very important. The choices I make do not simply effect me, but everything in existence. My decisions help to make It, Me, a bit better if I choose to be loving and compassionate.

True knowledge isn't knowing the things that you've learned in books, but knowing the things that are true about you. True knowledge is knowing that I am It and you are It. That we are all a part of It.

I would like to talk about this more, because there's more to be said, but I want to leave you with that, and if you have any questions or comments, please feel free to ask them. Also, please be aware that I am not writing this to debate whether or not this is true, so I wont argue with you about this, because there's no need. If you don't believe this, that's fine. In the end the only thing I am doing is sharing something that took me nearly two decades to learn, in the hopes that if this is what you are looking for, it wont take quite as long for you.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner
  • Like 1

Hi Aaron,

What a long post. Hehehe.

But a nice one none-the-less.

And true, there is no need for debate as this is your understanding.

I did enjoy the way you worked a couple of the concepts in this post but I won't mention which ones.

On the other hand, I say that everything that has ever happened on this incidental crumb of mud, all of it, every blink across a prosthetic eyeball, is natural. To say that anything that we human beings have done or ever will do is apart from nature is a blasphemy against every being that has ever lived before and all of us who are still standing. It is a blasphemy against the unimaginable power of nature. To say say that this race is doing something that we are not supposed to be doing is the ultimate height of arrogance. Where in the hell did the following statement come from? Did God whisper that in your ear?

"The tragedy is that we have sought a means of existence...that defies what we are supposed to be doing."

I am arrogant and so I should know that statement is arrogance that can only show itself from below contempt.

Hi Aaron,

What a long post. Hehehe.

But a nice one none-the-less.

And true, there is no need for debate as this is your understanding.

I did enjoy the way you worked a couple of the concepts in this post but I won't mention which ones.

Hello Marble,

Thanks, but don't take what I said as a sign that I wont discuss this, rather I'm not here to defend myself. In other words this isn't about me being wrong or someone else being right, so don't feel like you can't make a comment. I would just rather not have this be about duality vs. non-duality, etc. I'm more interested in addressing the heart of the matter and not the dogma.

Aaron

On the other hand, I say that everything that has ever happened on this incidental crumb of mud, all of it, every blink across a prosthetic eyeball, is natural. To say that anything that we human beings have done or ever will do is apart from nature is a blasphemy against every being that has ever lived before and all of us who are still standing. It is a blasphemy against the unimaginable power of nature. To say say that this race is doing something that we are not supposed to be doing is the ultimate height of arrogance. Where in the hell did the following statement come from? Did God whisper that in your ear?

"The tragedy is that we have sought a means of existence...that defies what we are supposed to be doing."

I am arrogant and so I should know that statement is arrogance that can only show itself from below contempt.

Hello Easy,

I had written a response, but I deleted it. Please troll elsewhere.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

Hey,

Aaron...I like these double AAs coming into a name. You must have God's own backing. Tell us where we went wrong...why we are unnatural. Surely He'll give you a hint.

I think we all need to know how it is you can know.

AaronThank you for sharing the experience; sounds wonderful.

Yet a flavour tasted by my tongue.

I wonder what it would be like to spar with you in martial arts for if you are me then who am I hitting?

I know the thing only in concepts in names and not any real understanding, or that subtle understanding have been lost to me; blinded by what is affront.

The heart becomes 'confused'; and where is the truth one may one asked?

It is actually right in front but it is the self that one can ever truly see.

When the 'self' ceases; what do one see?

Forgive my ranting and

thank you again Aaron;

XieJia

Ouch!!!

But valid. Hehehe.

Heavy subject.

Hello Marble,

Thanks, but don't take what I said as a sign that I wont discuss this, rather I'm not here to defend myself. In other words this isn't about me being wrong or someone else being right, so don't feel like you can't make a comment. I would just rather not have this be about duality vs. non-duality, etc. I'm more interested in addressing the heart of the matter and not the dogma.

Aaron

Well Sir, if you live according to the words you have spoken on this forum I think that you have, for yourself, moved beyond the concept of duality/non-duality. I like the thought of having one foot in yo and one foot in wu. This is what I see in you.

Myself, I have one foot firmly planted in yo and I tip my other foot in wu now and then to test the waters. Hehehe.

Hi Easy and XieJia,

Consider, if you will, that Aaron is speaking from a point of 'wu'. I don't think that his thinking is so narrow that he fails to be aware of physical reality (yo). In fact, he did point to it once in the article.

I'm not trying to defend him. From what I have observed he is fully capable of doing that on his own.

I just wish to point out that we need to put more effort into understanding what he has said. NO, we don't have to agree with him. But his views are valid none-the-less just as Easy's first post is valid.

This is a discussion that is never-ending. The question being: How much of ourself do we immerse into 'wu' and how much do we remain in 'yo'?

Hi Easy and XieJia,

Consider, if you will, that Aaron is speaking from a point of 'wu'. I don't think that his thinking is so narrow that he fails to be aware of physical reality (yo). In fact, he did point to it once in the article.

I'm not trying to defend him. From what I have observed he is fully capable of doing that on his own.

I just wish to point out that we need to put more effort into understanding what he has said. NO, we don't have to agree with him. But his views are valid none-the-less just as Easy's first post is valid.

This is a discussion that is never-ending. The question being: How much of ourself do we immerse into 'wu' and how much do we remain in 'yo'?

Hi Marble;

I am not saying that I have disagreed or agreed with him; I am merely writing my own experience on the subject matter. Nor I want to debate anything either.

I think it is the matter of Aaron sharing his experience with us.

In term of martial arts; it is really a wonder to spare with these people as if they are invisible when the movement of both becomes but one. No enemy, no you.

Edited by XieJia

Hi Marble;

I am not saying that I have disagreed or agreed with him; I am merely writing my own experience on the subject matter. Nor I want to debate anything either.

I think it is the matter of Aaron sharing his experience with us.

In term of martial arts; it is really a wonder to spare with these people as if they are invisible when the movement of both becomes but one. No enemy, no you.

Thanks for responding to my post. Yeah, sparing is done from 'yo' - there is you and me. But a good sparer will incorporate the opponent's actions into their future reactions thereby using one's opponent's energies to defeat him/her.

I know you were not disagreeing, you were expressing a thought, and the thought was valid, just as Easy's was.

There will always be confusion during these type of discussions because it is hard to tell sometimes if a person is speaking from the state of 'yo' or of 'wu' or of somewhere between the two.

That is the beauty of the state of 'wu wei', I think. We are 'nowhere' but capable of going 'anywhere'.

Hehehe. Aaron has a lot to respond to when he comes on line.

Hey,

Aaron...I like these double AAs coming into a name. You must have God's own backing. Tell us where we went wrong...why we are unnatural. Surely He'll give you a hint.

I think we all need to know how it is you can know.

Hello Easy,

A troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

With that said, I leave you to your trolling.

Peace be with you.

Aaron

AaronThank you for sharing the experience; sounds wonderful.

Yet a flavour tasted by my tongue.

I wonder what it would be like to spar with you in martial arts for if you are me then who am I hitting?

I know the thing only in concepts in names and not any real understanding, or that subtle understanding have been lost to me; blinded by what is affront.

The heart becomes 'confused'; and where is the truth one may one asked?

It is actually right in front but it is the self that one can ever truly see.

When the 'self' ceases; what do one see?

Forgive my ranting and

thank you again Aaron;

XieJia

Hello Xiejia,

I think you're misunderstanding what I am saying. What you're alluding to is to a buddhist form of dualism and I'm not advocating that, rather what I'm saying is that we're all part of a greater whole, that I am not you and you are not me in the ego-self sense, but rather that we are It and by being It we are each other. I hope that makes more sense.

Aaron

Twinner -

Your posts always come with the same hidden caveat:

Listen carefully to what I say but don't hold me responsible. In your writing you regularly come across as someone who regards his imaginitive musings as a wellspring of original ideas. You demand special conditions of your audience lest they miss hidden truths while declaring a general amnesty for any oversights that may escape your attention. You seem to be well prepared to be taken seriously when it suits you.

If you spoke to fellow students in a lower-division Intro to Philosophy class the way you come off in here you'd be laughed out the door. Some of your ideas are quite consistent with major themes found throughout the world's traditions, so you're on the right track and owe it to yourself to begin your scholarly journey in school rather than impersonating one in here.

• Like 2

Twinner -

Your posts always come with the same hidden caveat:

Listen carefully to what I say but don't hold me responsible. In your writing you regularly come across as someone who regards his imaginitive musings as a wellspring of original ideas. You demand special conditions of your audience lest they miss hidden truths while declaring a general amnesty for any oversights that may escape your attention. You seem to be well prepared to be taken seriously when it suits you.

If you spoke to fellow students in a lower-division Intro to Philosophy class the way you come off in here you'd be laughed out the door. Some of your ideas are quite consistent with major themes found throughout the world's traditions, so you're on the right track and owe it to yourself to begin your scholarly journey in school rather than impersonating one in here.

Hello Blasto,

Again your response (as was Easy's) was meant to evoke an emotional response. I see many people who seem to be more interested in arguing or debating than discussing. In order to achieve this goal they often resort to making derogatory comments that are meant to incite the person they are directed at. I will not argue or debate. I will tell you what I believe and you can go from there. You have every right to say what you want to, but I have every right to ignore you if I believe you are behaving in a childish manner. When you can approach this conversation with mutual respect, then I will be willing to talk to you.

In the meantime, let go of your anger and resentment. I urge you to look within yourself to find what your anger is really about.

There is no deep hidden truth here, that's one point I tried to make. The truth is here, we just need to know it, rather than believe it. I also apologize if this has something to do with my failure to respond to your personal messages, if so, please accept my apology, I never intended to offend you.

Aaron

edit- I did respond to your questions by the way, please feel free to contact me via messenger.

Edited by Twinner

That is the beauty of the state of 'wu wei', I think. We are 'nowhere' but capable of going 'anywhere'.

Thank you Marblehead; I agreed it is indeed hard to understand eachother where there will be ultimately some misunderstandings.

@Aaron

Is you idea similar to that of 'All belonging to the Tao'?

(Change mode): Questions

The fact that we can just enjoy the transformation?

In this age way majority of people are astray from the natural way; would this be the best time to cultivate?

Look toward to hear from you;

XieJia

There is no deep hidden truth here, that's one point I tried to make. The truth is here, we just need to know it, rather than believe it. I also apologize if this has something to do with my failure to respond to your personal messages, if so, please accept my apology, I never intended to offend you.

Aaron

edit- I did respond to your questions by the way, please feel free to contact me via messenger.

This has nothing to do with emotionalism or feeling spurned. I have a life. I take regular fasts from this forum, but I have also benefited from participation and I value profitable communication.

Not every criticism we level at each other needs to be interpreted as personal attack. Although I took creative writing classes in college, it was not my focus, but I do know that concision, brevity, specificity of terms and critical thinking remain a vital part of the creative process. They have to be. You took 22 paragraphs and over 2,000 words to make your point that we imbue life with meaning, not the other way around? Hey, thanks for sharing! Something tells me that even a creative writing professor would advise a tad of editing. Writers owe that to their audience.

Edited by Blasto
  • Like 3

Aaron

This has nothing to do with emotionalism or feeling spurned. I have a life. I take regular fasts from this forum, but I have also benefited from participation and I value profitable communication.

Not every criticism we level at each other needs to be interpreted as personal attack. Although I took creative writing classes in college, it was not my focus, but I do know that concision, brevity, specificity of terms and critical thinking remain a vital part of the creative process. They have to be. You took 22 paragraphs and over 2,000 words to make your point that we imbue life with meaning, not the other way around? Hey, thanks for sharing! Something tells me that even a creative writing professor would advise a tad of editing. Writers owe that to their audience.

Hello Blasto,

My friends and family respect me, love me, and talk to me. I listen to them. I do my best to help others on a daily basis. When people suffer I try to ease their suffering. I examine my actions on a daily basis and strive to do the right thing. I do this because I want to, because I feel a deep purpose in it, not because I need to. I have no desire to deal with people who have no peace in their lives. I have no desire to deal with people who are incapable of discussing things in a polite and courteous manner.

If you want to talk to me in the future, please follow these few basic rules of politeness. Do not make derogatory comments about me. Do not diminish my ideas because they don't follow your own ideas and please, for the love of all that's holy, do not try to have an intellectual conversation with me.

Aaron

edit- Now that you've evoked a response from me, please think about the following, if you are repeatedly having issues with other people in your own life (and on this site) to the point that you have to take fasts from them, perhaps the issue has to do with you and not the other people.

Edited by Twinner

Hello Blasto,

My friends and family respect me, love me, and talk to me. I listen to them. I do my best to help others on a daily basis. When people suffer I try to ease their suffering. I examine my actions on a daily basis and strive to do the right thing. I do this because I want to, because I feel a deep purpose in it, not because I need to. I have no desire to deal with people who have no peace in their lives. I have no desire to deal with people who are incapable of discussing things in a polite and courteous manner.

If you want to talk to me in the future, please follow these few basic rules of politeness. Do not make derogatory comments about me. Do not diminish my ideas because they don't follow your own ideas and please, for the love of all that's holy, do not try to have an intellectual conversation with me.

Aaron

edit- Now that you've evoked a response from me, please think about the following, if you are repeatedly having issues with other people in your own life (and on this site) to the point that you have to take fasts from them, perhaps the issue has to do with you and not the other people.

For godsake Aaron, lighten up. You have no need to bring the love from your family and friends to your defense. I'm sure you're lovable enough, as am I. I was addressing your writing style which you characterize as "colloquial" and I describe as excessively wordy and self-absorbed. I'm sure you and your college classmates rendered critical analysis of each other's work without precipitating emotional crises, and I'm sure you're fully capable of it in here.

If you feel that clear communication comes off as intellectual elitism, then you are correct; intellectual conversation will remain a non-starter.

The Taoist ethos is the fusion of the scholar and warrior. Be sure to let us know if that subject should ever pique your interest while visiting a Taoist website. Altnough I have to say, your posts on Hua Yen were crisp and reader-friendly.

Edited by Blasto
  • Like 1

For godsake Aaron, lighten up. You have no need to bring the love from your family and friends to your defense. I'm sure you're lovable enough, as am I. I was addressing your writing style which you characterize as "colloquial" and I describe as excessively wordy and self-absorbed. I'm sure you and your college classmates rendered critical analysis of each other's work without precipitating emotional crises, and I'm sure you're fully capable of it in here.

If you feel that clear communication comes off as intellectual elitism, then you are correct; intellectual conversation will remain a non-starter.

The Taoist ethos is the fusion of the scholar and warrior. Be sure to let us know if that subject should ever pique your interest while visiting a Taoist website. Altnough I have to say, your posts on Hua Yen were crisp and reader-friendly.

Hello Blasto,

I can't help you. In parting, you will never find peace so long as you strive for conflict. Be done with conflict and you will find harmony in your life. Even the warrior knows that the best way to win a fight is not to fight at all. I really hope you can determine where the angst resides within, what causes you the need to be right and prove others wrong. Knowledge for the sake of knowing is worthless, it's only when one understands that knowing does not involve learning, but rather understanding, that they will begin to learn. Cease fighting and peace will be with you. I hope you have the capacity to respect my wishes and leave me in peace.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

Thank you Marblehead; I agreed it is indeed hard to understand eachother where there will be ultimately some misunderstandings.

@Aaron

Is you idea similar to that of 'All belonging to the Tao'?

(Change mode): Questions

The fact that we can just enjoy the transformation?

In this age way majority of people are astray from the natural way; would this be the best time to cultivate?

Look toward to hear from you;

XieJia

Hello XieJia,

In response to your first question, it depends on what you consider Tao to be. If you're talking about the process in which the universe was created, then yes, we are all a part of Tao. If you're talking about a natural course of action, one that's in harmony with Tao, then no we are not all a part of Tao. So yes and no.

In response to your second question, we are all a part of Tao. Is practicing to work in harmony with Tao beneficial? Yes. Is this the best time to begin to work in harmony with Tao? Well I think anytime is the best time. I would say that it really doesn't matter in the end. Telling someone that they need to work towards awareness or enlightenment, or even cultivate Tao, is like telling a child they need to eat their carrots. Even though eating carrots is in their best interest, if they don't like the taste of carrots, then they'll never be able to appreciate them. My point is that there is a method to what many see as madness, and that if someone wishes to find this method, then they need to start with themselves. The answer is not out in the world but within us. The truth that many seek is not a truth at all, but rather something that exists within and needs only to be realized. One does not need Buddhism, Taoism, Christianity, Shamanism, or numerous other -isms to become aware of this, they need only take the effort needed to work effortlessly with everything in existence.

Aaron

Hello Blasto,

I can't help you. In parting, you will never find peace so long as you strive for conflict. Be done with conflict and you will find harmony in your life. Even the warrior knows that the best way to win a fight is not to fight at all. I really hope you can determine where the angst resides within, what causes you the need to be right and prove others wrong. Knowledge for the sake of knowing is worthless, it's only when one understands that knowing does not involve learning, but rather understanding, that they will begin to learn. Cease fighting and peace will be with you. I hope you have the capacity to respect my wishes and leave me in peace.

Aaron

Somehow I learned to get by without the dubious benefit of unsolicited psychological advice from strangers like yourself presumptuous enough to render it. How many different ways do you need it explained? I wasn't raking your spirit over the coals; I was pointing out something about your writing style. It's not my problem if you can't tell the difference. We can take turns trying to out-impress each other with our grasp of the finer details of pedagogy, but I guess what you really need is a hug and an apology and a nice cup of warm cocoa. So, Aaron, I'm sorry. Please forgive me.

End scene.

Sign in to follow this