King Kabalabhati

Fasting one day per week

I'm currently fasting every Tuesday for 36 hours. Nothing special bout Tuesday, it's just practical for me :)

This is my fourth week and it seems to get easier. Today there's been no headache nor nausea. Steady energy levels. The first couple of tuesday I experienced emotional sensitivity and something like a more open heart. Today it's not as pronounced but there's still a special feeling.

I fast with only water and herb teas. I recommend this approach as training for longer fasts and it's also detoxing if you do it longer than 24 hours since that is when the toxins start moving. Gives a nice perspective to food too. Today I'm baking cookies for the kids to make it a bit more challenging :D

I'm currently fasting every Tuesday for 36 hours. Nothing special bout Tuesday, it's just practical for me :)

Sounds like a useful practice. If we all did it we could drop the food production requirement by what, 15% :-)

When exactly does the fast run from? Midnight on Tuesday until Midday on Wednesday?

cheers

Rob

Sounds like a useful practice. If we all did it we could drop the food production requirement by what, 15% :-)

When exactly does the fast run from? Midnight on Tuesday until Midday on Wednesday?

cheers

Rob

I eat at around 8 pm on monday and the next meal is breakfast on wednesday.

This is my fourth week and it seems to get easier. Today there's been no headache nor nausea. Steady energy levels. The first couple of tuesday I experienced emotional sensitivity and something like a more open heart. Today it's not as pronounced but there's still a special feeling.

I fast with only water and herb teas. I recommend this approach as training for longer fasts and it's also detoxing if you do it longer than 24 hours since that is when the toxins start moving. Gives a nice perspective to food too. Today I'm baking cookies for the kids to make it a bit more challenging :D

Why did you start fasting ? What benefits do you expect from this practice ? :)

Why did you start fasting ? What benefits do you expect from this practice ? :)

The inner organs get a chance to rest. This is the main reason. Plus there is some detoxing of tissues when fasting for more than 24 hours.

Fasting is said to have benefits for those who practice Qigong and meditation. Chunyi Lin says it makes the energy run smoother in the body and also makes the body function more efficiently.

Hi King, what do you mean by the term 'inner organ?' Every organ but the skin is an inner organ, yes? :huh:

Fair enough, let's be more accurate.. I'm referring to those organs that have to do with digestion and assimilation and also the ones that do the cleaning work such as the kidneys and the liver.

Can you please describe these "toxins" you are clearing out?

There are thousands of different toxins. Once you start to detox from fasting these toxins are released from the body tissues into the bloodstream and then evacuated. I cannot tell you more accurately, this is just what I have read from books like "The Tao of Health, Sex & Longevity" by Daniel Reid.

cool idea KK. I think I've experienced similar about being a bit more emotionally receptive when fasting.

might try this idea.

Good luck with keeping away from the food you're cooking.

I've been fasting once weekly, with very few exceptions, every Sunday. So far I can't say it's been bad and it's given me a greater appreciation for the food I do have.

I'm planning on adding smaller modified fasts, with prunes and colon-cleansing tea the day before the full moon and the day of the full-moon.

I'm planning on adding smaller modified fasts, with prunes and colon-cleansing tea the day before the full moon and the day of the full-moon.

Sounds interesting, may I ask the significance of fasting before and during the full moon?

Yea read up on the book Eat Stop Eat, you can get it as a PDF somewhere, maybe a torrent.

Great book on Intermittent Fasting, it introduced me to it from a physical trainer's perspective. You get more gains.. and as well as fat loss.

KK, Do you do extra qigong or meditation on that day?

I would love to, and I plan to, but lately it's been actually a bit less due to me being kind of sleepy and dozing off when sitting :D

There is a Longmen Pai technique for creating chi water; it's a method many have used to sustain themselves while fasting. I don't know if there is any public documentation of the method, but you may be able to find something. At the end of April we're doing a week long retreat in the high desert of California, this technique will be taught by Grandmaster Zhang, we'll have all week long to practice it :)

Edited by Red Pheonix

There is a Longmen Pai technique for creating chi water; it's a method many have used to sustain themselves while fasting. I don't know if there is any public documentation of the method, but you may be able to find something. At the end of April we're doing a week long retreat in the high desert of California, this technique will be taught by Grandmaster Zhang, we'll have all week long to practice it :)

Yes you can charge the water or simply swallow chi :)

Red Pheonix; I took a quick look at your link :) It said water will be provided.

No mention of cost? Feel free to PM me. No pun intended :o

Red Pheonix; I took a quick look at your link :) It said water will be provided.

No mention of cost? Feel free to PM me. No pun intended :o

Yea, I just posted that this week, waiting for Master Zhang to get back in town so I can extract the rest of the details :) Cost will be reasonable, Master Zhang is a genuine person when it comes to that sort of thing; he's more into sharing his heritage than making money. I'll start a thread as soon as I get the rest of the info on there, in the mean time feel free to PM me with any questions or requests.

I know he plans on fasting and wants students to join him for what ever duration they choose. Easier for him to do that sort of thing, he frequently does it and sustains himself with chi. Heck they guy doesn't even sleep... in fact I've a feeling he's looking over my shoulder at this very moment *plays twilight theme* lol

Yes you can charge the water or simply swallow chi :)

I wouldn't exactly call that a fair comparison. These techniques come from people who actually go out and fast for months at a time; surely there is some wisdom in their experience? Personally I've not fasted for more than 2 weeks so I've little experience to draw on, I have to defer to the advice of the pros, but that's just me :)

I wouldn't exactly call that a fair comparison. These techniques come from people who actually go out and fast for months at a time; surely there is some wisdom in their experience? Personally I've not fasted for more than 2 weeks so I've little experience to draw on, I have to defer to the advice of the pros, but that's just me :)

Yeah I don't mean to compare.. The Chi swallowing technique I learned from Chunyi Lin who has also fasted in meditation for very long periods of time and this is a technique he teaches. It is far beyond my capacity to evaluate the efficiency of either of these techniques :) Respect.

Yeah I don't mean to compare.. The Chi swallowing technique I learned from Chunyi Lin who has also fasted in meditation for very long periods of time and this is a technique he teaches. It is far beyond my capacity to evaluate the efficiency of either of these techniques :) Respect.

Sounds interesting, I'm curious about the technique if you wanna share. Does it involve charging your saliva and swallowing? That's a stranger technique I've learned, it's grown on me some though :)

It is a great practice. Omraam Mikhael Aivanhov recommends this practice regularly with longer fasts periodically. I'll post a quote or link when I have the time.

Hi Songs,

Always interested to hear what Omraam Mikhael Aivanhov has to say.

Cheers

Rob

As I said, meditating during the fasting day can be difficult because I tend to be a bit drowsy. Also I get cold easily now that the winter chill is really biting here.

The next day seems to be perfect for Qigong and meditation with higher energy levels, enhanced concentration and thus longer periods of "emptiness". Today has been exceptionally good and I will be doing about 2 hours altogether which is more than on an average day.

The detox effect of fasting can be felt as a sensation similar to when you have the flu and get fever. It's hard to describe but easy to recognise. This feeling usually stays with me until wednesday afternoon even if I start eating in the morning.

Sounds interesting, I'm curious about the technique if you wanna share. Does it involve charging your saliva and swallowing? That's a stranger technique I've learned, it's grown on me some though :)

This techique appears simple, involving visualisation of chi in the mouth and then swallowing audibly. I havent done it much myself yet since I'm only doing short fasts for now.