Sign in to follow this  
little

long term retreat

longest I've done was a whole week, and I didnt want to return to society by the time I was done :lol:

• Like 1

Longest i did was sitting the five week winter retreat with the sangha at Bailin temple in shijiazhuang, China.

Bitter cold, and didn't prepare my legs properley for 8 hours sitting a day. So by about week four, they totally seized up. :blush:

Edited by bamboo

Anyone here with experience from a long term retreat?

Impressions? Recommendation for a specific one?

Hi little! I think in general it's about environment and how you choose to observe it. A weekend in the woods by yourself can be great medicine if you choose to experience it that way. Meditation is a big bonus that comes with this sort of thing; it's easier to spend a few days/weeks in meditation if you're out in the wilderness vs being at home.

We have a couple of retreats coming up, if you like the flavor you might want to try a taste :) The next one is in Tehachapi, California; I've posted some information on it this morning, but the event is just now being planned so it's low on details atm. The only thing that's for sure is the time period, I'll have more information posted soon though.

http://www.qigongmaster.com/events/2011/04/30/april-30th---may-7th-at-ahomm/index.php

If you're looking for something a little more exotic you might want to stay at The Palace of the Celestial Dragon which is Master Zhang's center in China;

http://www.qigongmaster.com/retreatcenters/palaceofthecelestialdragon/index.php

There is information that's missing as I'm revamping the site, but enough for you to get the general idea.

I also enjoy the ECETI ranch, a great place to spend a weekend and connect to other energies! That one's a little closer, if nothing else you will see UFO's there nightly.

Some great stories here. I hope to go on a long term retreat myself.

Seeing this many people on the forum alone. Makes it seem that Much closer.

Thanks.

^_^

We have a couple of retreats coming up, if you like the flavor you might want to try a taste :) The next one is in Tehachapi, California; I've posted some information on it this morning, but the event is just now being planned so it's low on details atm. The only thing that's for sure is the time period, I'll have more information posted soon though.

http://www.qigongmaster.com/events/2011/04/30/april-30th---may-7th-at-ahomm/index.php

If you're looking for something a little more exotic you might want to stay at The Palace of the Celestial Dragon which is Master Zhang's center in China;

http://www.qigongmaster.com/retreatcenters/palaceofthecelestialdragon/index.php

There is information that's missing as I'm revamping the site, but enough for you to get the general idea.

Hi Red Pheonix. I'm looking for retreats with a rather long time period. From months up to years of duration. So it's the more exotic ones.

Hi Red Pheonix. I'm looking for retreats with a rather long time period. From months up to years of duration. So it's the more exotic ones.

Ooooo luck you! If that's the case I'd try China if you can ;) I believe that 2 months is about the max you can stay without an invitation from someone out there. You can get a sort of business invite to stay longer although I know very little about that.

Recommended if you are serious about your spiritual practice.

Issues to be deal with:

1. During meditation: all the major hindrances and attachments you have to deal with.

Hence one retreat is not enough.

2. Post-meditation. Shock you'll experience when you return. As a result some practitioners decide to become full-time meditators (renunciates).

Recommendations: it all depends on the school that resonates most with you. There are three major Buddhist schools: Mahayana, Theravada or Tibetan as they can be significantly different in their approaches to meditation practice.

In your case, I would be looking at a 3 week retreat in Thailand or Burma first and see if you can become accepted as a monk. But becoming a monk is not a prerequisite to attain arhatship. You can still be a lay practitioner and still attain that level.

Good luck.

:)

Edited by Gerard

Ooooo luck you! If that's the case I'd try China if you can ;) I believe that 2 months is about the max you can stay without an invitation from someone out there. You can get a sort of business invite to stay longer although I know very little about that.

Yes, at the moment I'm just looking around what could be interesting. From my last stay in the east I know already a little bit about such things but problems and how to solve them comes later. :)

Recommendations: it all depends on the school that resonates most with you. There are three major Buddhist schools: Mahayana, Theravada or Tibetan as they can be significantly different in their approaches to meditation practice.

In your case, I would be looking at a 3 week retreat in Thailand or Burma first and see if you can become accepted as a monk. But becoming a monk is not a prerequisite to attain arhatship. You can still be a lay practitioner and still attain that level.

Good luck.

:)

My approach for this was to look what kind of deeper reatreats are there where a western has a chance to attend and decide then what kind of school/practice resonates of them the most.

Shorter retreats would be definitly necessary first.

My approach for this was to look what kind of deeper reatreats are there where a western has a chance to attend and decide then what kind of school/practice resonates of them the most.

I can recommend you an introductory 3 week silent retreat in northern Thailand (Satipatthana Vipassana Kammatthana/(insight meditation based on the four foundations of mindfulness). Send me a PM if interested.

:o If that's your time frame, then there's always the 3 year, 3 month, 3 week 3 day retreat in the tibetan tradition. The 3's represent the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha.

I think you might need to be a memeber of their club [take the precepts] to do this one though.

Edited by bamboo

Have you done any retreats or pilgrimages before ? Where in the "east" have you traveled ? Foreign languages spoken ? What type of practice do you have now ? These are all kind of important. . .

Edited by robmix

It would be helpful if you had given a brief account of your experience with retreats, and your inclination as to which tradition you favor.

Most of the Tibetan centers organize retreats ranging from weekend-long ones to ones that lasts three years. As you may already know, the longer retreats are for practitioners who have been on the path for a while, and feel ready to commit themselves to spending lengthy periods 'locked' away in seclusive practice and contemplation. These longer retreats - starting from one month - are in a group format, led by a retreat master, usually someone who has already attended at least one 3-year retreat, or it could be directed personally by a senior lama of that tradition, although this is quite rare, as these teachers seldom have the time to lead such groups full-time hence they assign one or two of their trusted students to oversee the daily running of the retreats. During the retreat itself, the senior lama will visit on occasions and partake in certain practices with the group, explain certain 'higher' practices, and/or give empowerments for such practices to proceed. The longer the retreat, the more protocols involved.

Retreats that last from one month on require the participant to temporarily release him/herself from the mundane world so as to eliminate distractive elements. As per the norm, all worldly things have to be put aside, even communications with family, unless dire emergencies arise. Basically, its about renunciation - on the outer level, this renouncing takes the form of cutting out 'worldly' life with its array of distractions, on the inner level, its about renouncing dualistic thinking, and on the secret level, one renounces all subtle attachments to attain the ultimate realization of Great Perfection.

A typical day at the longer retreats usually begin at half four in the morning with meditations for a couple of hours, then breakfast, followed by a short break of half an hour, then formal practices or sadhanas would begin, and these lasts right thru to lunch time (usually this would be the last meal of the day), after which another short break of half an hour of free time, and then back to formal practices again until maybe 4 pm. From around this time, for about an hour, physical exercises like walking, prostrations, reflective moments are encouraged.... Then its back to group practice, chanting, recitations of sutras, doing prayers as per healing requests sent in from sangha members, and phowa practices too for the recently deceased or those who are close to dying. Bed time/lights out is about 9 pm, but this is optional. As the retreat pushes on, less and less sleep is needed. I have heard of some retreatants who, towards the end of the retreat, no longer has the need to sleep at all. Sshhhh.... cant say why though. ;):P

Its a regimented routine and can be quite blissful once the gears are engaged fully. This is why some people get addicted to these retreats and get lost in substituting distraction of a worldly kind for one more potentially harmful, the spiritual kind. As a caution, its been observed that some retreatants become quite huffed up with pride and arrogance, usually disguised as humility, after completing the long retreats, so this is something to be watchful for.

Hope this information helps. All the best.

Edited by CowTao

I do a nature retreat every year. Either in a forest,desert,or mountains.

Time spent on the retreat is from 3 days to 3 months.

When i was in my 20's i once went to a party that lasted about 5 years B)

but that is off topic.

• Like 1

:o If that's your time frame, then there's always the 3 year, 3 month, 3 week 3 day retreat in the tibetan tradition. The 3's represent the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha.

I think you might need to be a memeber of their club [take the precepts] to do this one though.

Yes.

Some interesting points concerning the three year retreat:

http://www.directcon.net/thubten/three_year_retreat.htm

Have you done any retreats or pilgrimages before ? Where in the "east" have you traveled ? Foreign languages spoken ? What type of practice do you have now ? These are all kind of important. . .

The longest retreat was ten days.

India.

No foreign language beside english.

I didn't mention my current practice to get an idea what people on ttb would recommend without limiting it by my background.

Edited by little

It would be helpful if you had given a brief account of your experience with retreats, and your inclination as to which tradition you favor.

Most of the Tibetan centers organize retreats ranging from weekend-long ones to ones that lasts three years. As you may already know, the longer retreats are for practitioners who have been on the path for a while, and feel ready to commit themselves to spending lengthy periods 'locked' away in seclusive practice and contemplation. These longer retreats - starting from one month - are in a group format, led by a retreat master, usually someone who has already attended at least one 3-year retreat, or it could be directed personally by a senior lama of that tradition, although this is quite rare, as these teachers seldom have the time to lead such groups full-time hence they assign one or two of their trusted students to oversee the daily running of the retreats. During the retreat itself, the senior lama will visit on occasions and partake in certain practices with the group, explain certain 'higher' practices, and/or give empowerments for such practices to proceed. The longer the retreat, the more protocols involved.

Retreats that last from one month on require the participant to temporarily release him/herself from the mundane world so as to eliminate distractive elements. As per the norm, all worldly things have to be put aside, even communications with family, unless dire emergencies arise. Basically, its about renunciation - on the outer level, this renouncing takes the form of cutting out 'worldly' life with its array of distractions, on the inner level, its about renouncing dualistic thinking, and on the secret level, one renounces all subtle attachments to attain the ultimate realization of Great Perfection.

A typical day at the longer retreats usually begin at half four in the morning with meditations for a couple of hours, then breakfast, followed by a short break of half an hour, then formal practices or sadhanas would begin, and these lasts right thru to lunch time (usually this would be the last meal of the day), after which another short break of half an hour of free time, and then back to formal practices again until maybe 4 pm. From around this time, for about an hour, physical exercises like walking, prostrations, reflective moments are encouraged.... Then its back to group practice, chanting, recitations of sutras, doing prayers as per healing requests sent in from sangha members, and phowa practices too for the recently deceased or those who are close to dying. Bed time/lights out is about 9 pm, but this is optional. As the retreat pushes on, less and less sleep is needed. I have heard of some retreatants who, towards the end of the retreat, no longer has the need to sleep at all. Sshhhh.... cant say why though. ;):P

Its a regimented routine and can be quite blissful once the gears are engaged fully. This is why some people get addicted to these retreats and get lost in substituting distraction of a worldly kind for one more potentially harmful, the spiritual kind. As a caution, its been observed that some retreatants become quite huffed up with pride and arrogance, usually disguised as humility, after completing the long retreats, so this is something to be watchful for.

Hope this information helps. All the best.

Thanks for the post.

Concerning tradition I'm rather open as long as they are not to secretive regarding western disciples.

but that is off topic.

I think mine lasted 10 years, but I can't remember much of it. :D :D :D

The longest retreat was ten days.

India.

No foreign language beside english.

I didn't mention my current practice to get an idea what people on ttb would recommend without limiting it by my background.

Without knowing your constitution, it might be difficult to bail on western society, and move to a developing country to spend significant time in isolation. I'd suggest a couple things.

1). Look at retreats here in the states. Such as:

http://diamondmountain.org/retreat/

http://ymaa-retreatcenter.org/about/dr_yang

2). Look into visiting China with someone like Michael Winn. His trips are 2-3 week excursions where you can get an overview of several Taoist mountains with translators, and guides. Provides a good foundation for future trips on your own. I went with him in 2006, and again in 2008. I've been back many times in the last couple years on my own with relative ease thanks to his introductions.

http://www.healingtaousa.com/chinatrip2011.html

3). Pilgrimage. Look into some of the longer pilgrimages around the world, and see if any resonate with you. I walked the Shikoku pilgrimage in Japan about 1.5 years ago, and it was truly incredible. You're not completely shutting out the world, there's an end point, and you can walk as fast or slow as you want.

No special advice for you, Im sure you can figure out what you want to do. Ill just share my experience.

I have made 3 one-month-long solitary retreats. Two were in the forest and one was in my apt (during the winter). Basically I sat in meditation the whole time except when taking care of necessities. Its hard to talk about what happens because it is so contradictory. So much happens and yet really i was just sitting there. And again, it felt very far out and really normal at the same time. One's sense of time shifts dramatically so that one month feels like half a lifetime. One really does get more experience out of such a month that out of lots of other activity. I once quipped that the immortals were really just ordinary hermits. From a chronometric standpoint, they may not live longer than anyone else, but in their own experience time seems to stretch out almost without limit.

In short, huge breakthroughs were made. It also put me on the path in a new way. An earlier post talked about some people choosing to become renunciates because of the shock of returning. My returning shock was not that great (and anyway it was over after a couple of days), but it has become clear to me that spiritual practice is really the most important thing I can be doing with my life, so I would become a monk or something if that was a practical option right now. (Its not because I have a family to take care of.)

I do a nature retreat every year. Either in a forest,desert,or mountains.

Time spent on the retreat is from 3 days to 3 months.

but that is off topic.

Nice to see another nature rtereat lover.I do them too.

Longest I spent was in a hut in nature 3 months.It was great and as Cow Tao says -they are addictive.I am dreaming of one right now actually..

Nice to see another nature rtereat lover.I do them too.

Longest I spent was in a hut in nature 3 months.It was great and as Cow Tao says -they are addictive.I am dreaming of one right now actually..

:blush: I was just day dreaming . Then my mind began to wander. They are addictive

in a very good way. A hut? Cool Beans :) I have a tent, sleeping bag, and a Jeep.

I have some friends camping around Ocala now. If you love nature?! Come visit here in the Smokeys :) cya around

• Like 1

Without knowing your constitution, it might be difficult to bail on western society, and move to a developing country to spend significant time in isolation. I'd suggest a couple things.

1). Look at retreats here in the states. Such as:

http://diamondmountain.org/retreat/

http://ymaa-retreatcenter.org/about/dr_yang

2). Look into visiting China with someone like Michael Winn. His trips are 2-3 week excursions where you can get an overview of several Taoist mountains with translators, and guides. Provides a good foundation for future trips on your own. I went with him in 2006, and again in 2008. I've been back many times in the last couple years on my own with relative ease thanks to his introductions.

http://www.healingtaousa.com/chinatrip2011.html

3). Pilgrimage. Look into some of the longer pilgrimages around the world, and see if any resonate with you. I walked the Shikoku pilgrimage in Japan about 1.5 years ago, and it was truly incredible. You're not completely shutting out the world, there's an end point, and you can walk as fast or slow as you want.

Thanks, some good tips. Yes, it will definitely be easier to do some retreats in the west.

The Diamond Mountain looks interesting. Especially as they allow shorter and longer retreats.

Sign in to follow this