Edward M

Measuring meditation

http://www.meditationexpert.com/measuringmeditation.html

I cannot tell if it is all marketing hype or this ebook is worth getting..can anyone enlighten me on this subject?

Also is it available in paper copy, my eyes get painful reading pdf's and I don't have a printer.

Cheers

Ed

Hi Ed,

no it's not available in hard copy, only ebook. I have a copy, but I'm not sure whether i would recommend it or not. A lot of the free articles on Bodri's site are versions of chapters in this book anyway.

There's a couple of hundred pages spent on analyzing the 5 skandhas, which is super dry. Have to skip it every time, just can't face it. :ph34r:

The chapter looking at 12 case studies of ordinary meditators, gauging their stage of attainment based on physical and mental phenomenon is given free on his site anyway. As is my favourite of his ebooks the 'gong-fu transformations within the physical body according to taoism'.

http://www.meditationexpert.com/Stages2.pdf

I guess it depends on what your practice is. If you follow Bodri's path of practice...anapana, white skeleton visualization, 9 step bottle wind and all that, then maybe it's for you. My practice is koan meditation, and qigong to kick off the body transformations, so it wasn't too useful for me.

Hope there was something useful in there! :huh:

Edited by bamboo

http://www.meditatio...meditation.html

I cannot tell if it is all marketing hype or this ebook is worth getting..can anyone enlighten me on this subject?

Also is it available in paper copy, my eyes get painful reading pdf's and I don't have a printer.

Cheers

Ed

Dear Edward,

As far from my experience, my opinion is that the book can only get you so far as just provide background information that you can get freely if you look around. If you are just starting then I would recommend you choosing a path, a meditation and work with it diligently. You will come to understand different experiences yourself, this knowledge cannot be obtained from books.

From my experience, meditative experience cannot be measured.

Don't get discouraged and obsessed with progress.

Wish you good luck on your journey, and hope you find what you seek.

XieJia

Bamboo, Xie Jia and simple jack,

Thank you for your kind replies :) it is clear i need a path and practice before worrying about books lol.

Xie Jia, i see you live in London UK? what part may I ask? i am in West London myself... have you been to Watkins book store?

peace

Ed

Hello,

When I read books by Master Nan Huai Chin, I get the impression that to get really enlightened is very hard.

Even if you realise the dharmakaya the sambhogakaya is also to be cultivated.

Master Nan can show you how small your efforts and accomplishments are and make you more realistic.

Master Nan says he can "tear anyone to pieces" when it comes to real cultivation and carrying out vows.

He says he doesn't teach the real advanced path because then "the grass in front of his door would be several metres high" nobody would come to listen, as it would be too hard for people.

He says most of you don't understand. He says Buddhism is by far the most difficult thing one can pursue.

And the material in those books mentioned above is very advanced, not for beginners. But there is also material suitable for beginners in these books too.

I like Master Nan, but he makes the path seem so hard.

Bamboo, sorry mate i didn't notice before you are in London as well!! hope you didn't take offence :) and thanks for the links, will check em out now!

Simple Jack, thanks for the heads up!

Heaven Chi, thanks for your input, i'll take it into account!

peace

Ed

Bamboo, sorry mate i didn't notice before you are in London as well!! hope you didn't take offence :) and thanks for the links, will check em out now!

Simple Jack, thanks for the heads up!

Heaven Chi, thanks for your input, i'll take it into account!

peace

Ed

Rather than just standing at the crossroads staring at the signs, i recommend you get the ball rolling with an anapana regime

http://www.meditationexpert.com/meditation-techniques/m_how_to_practice_anapana.html

This is a road travelled by the Buddhist and Daoists alike [and probably many others].

When you practice this you'll be cultivating your awareness, chi, and chi mai [channels]. Three for the price of one, good value B)

Get a copy of Nan Huaijin's Tao and Longevity - Mind-body Transformations, this will give you some idea about the sensations and phenomena that might manifest.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tao-Longevity-Transformation-Discussion-Cultivation/dp/087728542X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297370332&sr=8-1

Edited by bamboo

Bamboo, thank you, i intend on getting that book.

Have been doing meditation for some years now, anapana and mantra meditation. Have to be more consistent and find a teacher now.

Thanks mate !!

Ed

Bamboo, thank you, i intend on getting that book.

Have been doing meditation for some years now, anapana and mantra meditation. Have to be more consistent and find a teacher now.

Thanks mate !!

Ed

Cool, sorry man.

I think my last message came over a little rude.

All the best

Ed, I received an e-mail from Bodri a few days ago that mentions a book coming out in the summer that will provide a more concise approach to what he has been writing about in his longer books, in case that would be useful to you:

"First, some good news. While we're working on getting the new Hercules gong-fu book done we're also preparing a simple book on how to meditate properly and set up a BASIC meditation practice schedule that produces results. Yes results, not the type of talk you would hear on Oprah that meditation is making someone relaxed and less stressful. Real spiritual gong-fu results. I don't want you to practice years and seemingly get nowhere, so what you need to do to get real, solid gong-fu will be in this small forthcoming book. Most people get results in two years or less when they do these things (much sooner usually) so I'm boiling all the schools down to a simple list of To Do's for you.

The book will be simple. Topics included will be the basic principles of meditation, vipassana-mindfulness-witnessing practice, pranayama exercise, mantra, the skeleton visualization method, gongfu, detoxification, sexual practice, diet and offering. Just simple stuff that's basic practice 101. If you want to reduce practice down to its basics, those basics will be covered in this short book. Expect it in mid-Summer. If there's anything you want covered in a super simple, super short book, then let me know by email."

Bamboo, Xie Jia and simple jack,

Thank you for your kind replies :) it is clear i need a path and practice before worrying about books lol.

Xie Jia, i see you live in London UK? what part may I ask? i am in West London myself... have you been to Watkins book store?

peace

Ed

Dear Edward,

I live in Edgware Road area; slightly central and west. In my humble opinion a simple basic overview will be quite nice; which any little book would be good.

If you are interested in Buddhism and don't mind some travelling, I would really recommend travelling up to Hemel Hampstead and visit the Amaravati Buddhist Monastery which their practice comes directly from Forest monks in Thailand (Never been there myself, I'd really recommend that), and I am sure that they will be happy to help you.

If you are incline towards more of qigong type of practice, you could try going to Holland Park in weekends mornings; there are always some cultivators practising there. Mostly I see TaiChi or Baguazhang classes but there are some of those occasional martial arts masters that will teach you a thing or two without a dime if you ask politely.

I do feel that it is easier and more fruitful initially study under some guidance, and once you get the basics. You could start working on your own and perhaps consulting books, teachers or fellow practitioner from time to time. It is easy to fell into a delusional trap that you have obtained something when you did not; I am not saying that it is always true but it is very easy to fell into that trap.

Either way, I hope my post will helpful in some ways in conjunction to what fellow tao bums have said.

It is always good to see someone taking up Meditation;

No matter what you choose to do; good luck and wish bliss and happiness to be on your way Edward.

XieJia

Dainin, thanks for the info, will look out for it!

XieJia, thanks for the advice mate! I've heard of Amravati, supposed to good!

I used to go to Holland park years ago back when Alex Kozma was teaching bagua there. I know some of the guys who go there regularly, thanks.

May i suggest visiting this Buddhist Temple in Wimbledon: http://www.buddhapadipa.org/ it's a thai temple full of very wise monks :)

Hmm Edgware Road is a nice area if i remember corectly... i'm in W4 area (Chiswick) very close to Holland park.

Red Phoenix, i've met a master :)

peace

Ed