Sign in to follow this  
YAN

Higher self ?

What is it exactly ? I mean we often read or hear references to the higher self but is it part of any "official religion / belief " ?

It all seems a very vague new age concept . What I understand is that we as a incarnate beings are supposed to be only a kind of avatar of the real larger us (higher self) who's monitoring and registering possibly benefiting from what we are experiencing down here in the material world.

So after hearing so much about the higher self I experimented by requesting guidance from my higher self especially before meditating. I have no idea how the whole thing works but it really did positively affect my posture and my focus.

So what's your take on the higher self business ???

It's nothing but the desire to solidify the lower self into a higher concept or arena, it's as much an illusion and relative as the lower self. There is no ultimate self, either individually or universally. Theisms will have you think otherwise. So, I don't bother with Theisms.

So after hearing so much about the higher self I experimented by requesting guidance from my higher self especially before meditating. I have no idea how the whole thing works but it really did positively affect my posture and my focus.
Nice! I haven't a clue about the ontological status of the higher self. Clearly acknowleding its presence is a source of power and support that shouldn't be dismissed. It may take quite a while of study, reflection and meditation combined with personal aesthetics to come to some sort of understanding but I wouldn't let lack of understanding get in the way of the positive connection.

For me, this term, 'higher self', refers to our inner essence - the subconscious aspect of our brain but also includes our personal Chi. No, I have never equated it with any form of deity. Many Taoists do though.

It's nothing but the desire to solidify the lower self into a higher concept or arena, it's as much an illusion and relative as the lower self. There is no ultimate self, either individually or universally. Theisms will have you think otherwise. So, I don't bother with Theisms.

ah, this is why you are being criticised...

I wonder what you are thinking is practically helpful or inspiring about this post of yours, in this context.

Do you believe it is the most useful thing that you have to contribute, in an area where people are looking to extend themselves beyond their usual parameters and put a toe into a transpersonal water?

Wasnt it you saying earlier about teachers giving teachings when the pupils are ready....

Who needs to know here that you dont 'bother' with theisms? You, the theisms, or us, or you..

Are you beginning to inhabit the role assigned for you by some here at tb's?

Hi YAN,

Good question - as you can probably begin to tell from the responses, nobody can really explain it in words - and neither can I. That's the bad news, but there is good news too:

Once you experience communicating with your higher self and asking questions to answers of which you are not sure, things often suddenly seem obvious. Hmmm, I can hear how that sounds odd, but once you try it you will probably smile and wonder what was so odd about the idea of communicating with your higher self. It reminds me of some wise words I read along the way when a teacher said something like: I can give somebody a glass of water, but I will never be able to explain what it tastes and feels like. I guess communication with ones higher self falls into that same category.

So, how to go about it? Asking your higher self for help is an important first step. Beware that communicating with your higher self requires a high degree of trusting your own intuition (and listening to it, too). Connecting the heart and mind (the Yi and Xin to use the Chinese terms of the intellectual, decision-making and the emotional mind) is an important prerequisite along with a very calm state of mind.

I wish you happy exploring :)

What is it exactly ?

So what's your take on the higher self business ???

I know, I know, it must be a Chicago thing :ph34r::D:lol:

"In the zone" "Flow" "Positive Vibration"

nobody can really explain it in words

Yan, a saying below that may be of interest to you ?

Om

Khandogya Upanishad, VII Prapathaka, 23rd Khanda.

1. The Infinite (bhuman) is bliss. There is no bliss in anything

finite. Infinity only is bliss. This Infinity, however, we must desire

to understand.

Sir, I desire to understand it.

1. Where one sees nothing else, hears nothing else, understands

nothing else, that is the Infinite. Where one sees something else,

hears something else, understands something else, that is the finite.

The Infinite is immortal, the finite is mortal.

Sir, in what does the Infinite rest? In its own greatness - or not

even in greatness.

2. In the world they call cows and horses, elephants and gold,

slaves, wives, fields and houses greatness. I do not mean this,

thus he spoke; for in that case one being (the possessor) rests in

something else, (but the Infinite cannot rest in something different

from itself)

1. The Infinite indeed is below, above, behind, before, right and

left--it is indeed all this. Now follows the explanation of the

Infinite as the I: I am below, I am above, I am behind, before,

right and left--I am all this.

2. Next follows the explanation of the Infinite as the Self: Self

is below, above, behind, before, right and left - Self is all this.

He who sees, perceives, and understands this, loves the Self,

delights in the Self, revels in the Self, rejoices in the Self--he

becomes a Svarag, (an autocrat or self-ruler) he is lord and master

in all the worlds. But those who think differently from this, live in

perishable worlds, and have other beings for their rulers.

1. To him who sees, perceives, and understands this, the spirit

(prana) springs from the Self, hope springs from the Self, memory

springs from the Self; so do ether, fire, water, appearance and

disappearance, food, power, understanding, reflection, consideration,

will, Mind, speech, names, sacred hymns, and sacrifices--aye, all this

springs from the Self.

2. There is this verse, "He who sees this, does not see death, nor

illness, nor pain; he who sees this, sees everything, and obtains

everything everywhere.

"He is one (before creation), he becomes three (fire, water, earth),

he becomes five, he becomes seven, he becomes nine; then again he is

called the eleventh, and hundred and ten and one thousand and twenty."

When the intellectual aliment has been purified, the whole nature

becomes purified. When the whole nature has been purified, the memory

becomes firm. And when the memory (of the Highest Self) remains firm,

then all the ties (which bind us to a belief in anything but the Self)

are loosened.

This is how I would describe "higher self":

The organism of the human being can be divided, conceptually, into many different parts. Organs, systems, central vs. peripheral nervous systems, thought, inspiration, creativity, emotion, etc.

All of those parts, functioning together, form my "higher self". But it is not "I".

"I" am my "lower self", that is: merely one small part of the organism. "I" am a reflective action, trying to view myself, trying to define myself, trying to defend myself, all arising from a function, or cluster of functions, in the brain.

"I" am this perspective of self which we call ego. The perspective is from within one function of the brain, looking at other functions of the brain, as if they were something separate from me. From that perspective, I mistakenly view "right vs. wrong" drives, thoughts, desires, pain, etc. But that's just one element of the greater self misapprehending 1. itself as the real self, and the 2. other elements as some kind of alien invaders.

Instead, if "I" realize that it is not "my" job to decide what is wrong or right, but just to pay attention, then "I" can get out of the way, and the greater self can re-assume control of the organism, and of the life.

As long as "I" try to act as a puppeteer, trying to decide for the organism, then I am merely inhibiting the proper function of the greater self. But if I am willing to get out of the way, to not decide, to forget knowing, judging, and conceptualizing (none of which functions rely on "me"), then IME the greater organism takes over on its own, and starts living ITS life, without "my" conscious involvement. The greater self opens up like an umbrella, suddenly working as one powerful entity, rather than just a cluster of closed umbrella parts.

Of course, this "greater self" does not emerge first as a full-fledged, super-wise being, but as an infant, that has been neglected all these years, as my "lower self" has insisted on controlling as much as it could. So the "I" also needs to be patient, and accept the clumsiness that happens when "I" get out of the way. If I can be still in my egoism, and allow the clumsiness, then IME the greater self has a much shorter learning curve then "I" ever had, and its genius soon makes itself known.

Edited by Otis

Sign in to follow this