manitou

A quick question about Egypt

I just heard an interview with Madelaine Albright, and she said 'Don't forget, people have been telling Mubarak he's great, every day of his life for 30 years'.

I wonder if Mr. Mubarak, at 82, doesn't have a touch of dementia? It almost seems like he's showing the signs for it, and it would sure explain his inability to step down. Combined with the above scenario, I'm actually starting to feel a little compassion for the old bird.

It appears that the new VP, Suleimann, is talking with the Islamic Brotherhood. Maybe they're triangulating Mr. Mubarek out?

If that were the case, do you think the protesters would have any compassion for him and let him play out his term as fairy-tale president? In a fairy book world, I think this would be the ending.

Edited by manitou

I just saw an article that stated that the talks were unsuccessful and the opposition, including the Brotherhood, said that the demonstrations would continue.

At this point I think that Mubarak remaining in power is out of the question.

It is my opinion that it is up to the military now. What ever side they take will be the side that wins.

Edited by Marblehead

If that were the case, do you think the protesters would have any compassion for him and let him play out his term as fairy-tale president?

I heard the protestors get $10 per night per person either in cash or in food/shelter. For unemployed Egyptians this is good job.

There have been several revolutions recently in different countries. Each of them was financed by somebody.

I'm not saying that protestors' demands are not legitimate, Mubarak has certainly overdone his term. But don't forget there are always a bunch of different sort of people who would like to take advantage of the situation.

I heard the protestors get $10 per night per person either in cash or in food/shelter.

Haven't heard that. Where is that money coming from?

I heard the protestors get $10 per night per person either in cash or in food/shelter. For unemployed Egyptians this is good job.

There have been several revolutions recently in different countries. Each of them was financed by somebody.

I'm not saying that protestors' demands are not legitimate, Mubarak has certainly overdone his term. But don't forget there are always a bunch of different sort of people who would like to take advantage of the situation.

Are you saying someone staged a coo? Or that the pro Mubarak supporters are being paid?

Edited by NeiChuan

Are you saying someone staged a coo? Or that the pro Mubarak supporters are being paid?

Coo coo.

Actually coup d'etat is the full term (courtesy of your local spelling police)

the Mubarak supporters appeared out of the blue the day after Mubarak gave his speech defying the protesters demand to leave.

It has been widely reported that the pro Mubarak supporters were paid for their activity. Other analysis indicated that this move was a fairly unsophisticated attempt to discredit the heretofore peaceful protesters by luring them into violence. The term "agents provocateur" has been used for hundreds of years and this is a perfect example of this ploy. In any case, no, this was not a coup attempt, but rather an attempt to de-legitimize the protest movement.

At this point I think that Mubarak remaining in power is out of the question.

It is my opinion that it is up to the military now. What ever side they take will be the side that wins.

I think we have a tendency to overly focus on the figurehead here. I believe the protesters understand better that replacing one figurehead for another is not going to get them much but window dressing.

In fact this is an example of a military dictatorship trying to represent itself as a free country on the world stage.

The Military has already chosen a side, their own. The rank and file Army probably would not attack peaceful protesters. But the power brokers of the Egyptian military are further entrenching their power in the government since Mubarak dissolved his government during this crisis. A much higher proportion of military not civilian people are stepping into the roles of those dissolved by Mubarak.

I expect more window dressing and figurehead shuffling. To get the Military leaders of Egypt to step aside for a true constitutional democratic reform is Highly unlikely.

The new Vice President was a CIA liason who worked with our government in the "rendition" program to do work offshore which we could not do in the USA because it was not legal. I doubt the Egyptians would see him as an acceptable alternative.

Hopefully the press will be allowed to operate freely again soon to help the world see clearly what is happening there.

Craig

Coo coo.

Actually coup d'etat is the full term (courtesy of your local spelling police)

the Mubarak supporters appeared out of the blue the day after Mubarak gave his speech defying the protesters demand to leave.

It has been widely reported that the pro Mubarak supporters were paid for their activity. Other analysis indicated that this move was a fairly unsophisticated attempt to discredit the heretofore peaceful protesters by luring them into violence. The term "agents provocateur" has been used for hundreds of years and this is a perfect example of this ploy. In any case, no, this was not a coup attempt, but rather an attempt to de-legitimize the protest movement.

Thanks for the info.

Thought it was spelled coup. Thanks for being a grammar nazi (no sarcasm).