Sign in to follow this  
Non

buddhist practice

Well recently I've been thinking of delving into buddhism for the reason that I want to learn how to detach more and also have compassion. After going through Master Choa Kok Sui's stuff I've been attracted to tibetan buddhism and in general buddhism. There might be something to learn.

What's the main difference between buddhism and taoism? Taoism seems more focused on the material world while buddhism is more focused on the spiritual world? I know, daoists know of the life in the spiritual world, but I'm sure that even if a person wanted to get into daoism buddhist practice could help along the way. Perhaps at least having a good foundation of buddhist meditation.

What do you think?

Well recently I've been thinking of delving into buddhism for the reason that I want to learn how to detach more and also have compassion.

I'm not sure if "detach" is right. To me it sounds pretty close to indifference, which I think is not where you really want to go.

Well recently I've been thinking of delving into buddhism for the reason that I want to learn how to detach more and also have compassion. After going through Master Choa Kok Sui's stuff I've been attracted to tibetan buddhism and in general buddhism. There might be something to learn.

What's the main difference between buddhism and taoism? Taoism seems more focused on the material world while buddhism is more focused on the spiritual world? I know, daoists know of the life in the spiritual world, but I'm sure that even if a person wanted to get into daoism buddhist practice could help along the way. Perhaps at least having a good foundation of buddhist meditation.

What do you think?

I guess Vajraji will be showing up soon and lecturing you on the finer points of dependent origination. :lol:

Hi Non,

In the biography Steal My Art - the Life and Times of T'ai Chi Master T.T. Liang by Stuart Alve Olsen is a little story attributed to Master Liang about his view of "The Three Religions":

In China, there are three religions - Confucianism, Taoism, and Buddhism. Confucianism is the way of human beings. Taoism the natural way of spiritual beings. Buddhism is the ultimate way of the Gods.

If a person of each of these types of religions were sitting in meditation and a mosquito happened by, the Confucian would immediately swat it and kill it. The Confucian would consider the mosquito as bothersome, and because it disturbed his meditation it should die. The Taoist on the other hand would use a fly-whisk and brush it away. If the mosquito came along again, it would be brushed away a second time. But the third time the mosquito came, the Taoist would get up and find another place to meditate, seeing that place as belonging to the mosquito. The Buddhist, however, would just sit there and let the mosquito take its fill of blood, knowing then that the mosquito would be satisfied and leave.

Obviously it's a caricature, but sometimes the perspective of humor and exaggeration helps to shed light on subtle differences. :)

Shinzen youngs article on equanimity and also his articles on pain and emotional expression on shinzen.org are great at clarifying what "detatchment actually means in Buddhism. Jack Kornfields a wise heart buddhist psychology for the west is also good for this.

I'm not sure if "detach" is right. To me it sounds pretty close to indifference, which I think is not where you really want to go.

ok, I mean, to be egoless. and cultivate "the void".

Edited by Non

Ultimately they are different paths to the same place. In practical terms however, stick to one practice and respect that practice and/or master's teachings by not mixing it with others in an ill-informed manner.

Edited by The Observer

Make meditation and detachment from our current social values the most of your life and you won't see a difference between the two. This is what happened to me: karma, daily circle walking, dedication to the spiritual path, tea drinking, healthy diet in small quantities, good air, clean water, regulating sexual activity...don't know...there are various ways of fine tuning all of these variables. It all depends on each individual.

Daoists also watch and do a lot of mind work during sitting and circle walking meditations; it is not an exclusive Buddhist practice and so believe Sufis. According to Sufi practce there are internal "centers of perception" that can be utilized to help heighten the powers of the mind. There are five such "purity spots" that do not have a physical location in the sense of acupuncture points but that can be visualised for the purpose of transcending normal receptivity. Through a series of concentration exercises (like focusing at a the tips of both index and ring fingers placed together to the point where nothing else exists and stay there in meditative fashion for hours) a Sufi may be able to fix his attention on these spots as a means of enabling the mind to move to a higher plane. But this is a method of which there is 1 percent operation, and 99 percent preparation. It is one of the most advanced of all techniques. It could take you 30 years to get to the point where you could do it and it might be over in 30 minutes. Practice, practice and once you finish, back to more practice and all over again. 35 years of daily meditation will really make a big difference in your spiritual journey.

Edited by Gerard

Buddhism teaches us about the fact of suffering and the way to end suffering.

Edited by xabir2005

What do you think?

Hello Non,

Before you delve into Buddhism, I'd suggest you read Alan Watts' "The Book". It's actually based on the Vendanta philosophy of Hinduism, but it explains Buddhist and Taoist thought very nicely, and I'm sure will help you recognize the similarities as you further your understanding and practice.

Also there is no need to learn Buddhism to become more compassionate, just allow that part of you to be expressed freely and you'll be able to do the same thing. Detachment also will not save you from the worlds problems, it will merely help you to understand what the problems really are. Suffering is not abolished, rather just understood. Anyways, this isn't meant to discourage you, but rather advise you so that you can pursue things with a sense of what they actually are.

I hope that you can be free of trappings and see the world for what it is, that ideology, spirituality, and religion are as much a hindrance as materialism. True enlightenment doesn't come from sitting or rituals, rather from awareness. If you know this, then you can appreciate the former and see beyond them.

Aaron

Sign in to follow this